The Claudette Skin: Design Compromised

Now this is just really sad. And I feel really bad for Nohequin's vision. You hold a design contest, pick a winner, then alter the design to the point it's nearly unrecognizable, and do a really poor job at it as well.

This is unprofessional.

Let's look at the original, winning design:

EgMdtxbX0AAYT8G.jpg


We've got a few selling points:

Hoodie w/ a G / Hiphop design character on back.

Dyed hair, hoodie.

G String, low sweat pants.

Now here's what BHVR came up with:

EgMdvS5WAAA8nzZ.jpg

They added/removed:

Earrings, not present in winning design;

Heart necklace, not present in winning design,

removed low sweatpants, CHANGED design on back of hoodie,

no hoodie over her head.


And the best part of this all:

This is so amateuristic it won't sell. What will happen is it's will be put in a battle pass with other cool stuff so we kinda just get this for free, because we have to.

I want to add I understand it's BHVR's property change it as they wish, and they're not legally bound to give the creator what they want. But if you're changing it this much, just don't even hold a design contest.

Lost my credit. I strongly discourage future artists to not waste time on their """"contests"""".

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I didn't particularly like the original design (mostly due to thong) but did she really need to have a necklace and earrings?

    Also RIP alternate head Beanie.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    Yeah, you're not getting the Claud mains to give up their camo gear for...this

    I agree. I play Claud only because of camo, lol. The final design is weak, so, if I would pick something bright, I would choose Nea or Feng.

  • @Volfawott said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1567349#Comment_1567349

    I feel like I'm making it set said would have been a bad idea not because of complaining but because it's probably not with the initial designer designer of the cosmetic wanted.

    If we ever have a cosmetic contest next year maybe if people want set they could personally request that when they're doing the design work but I feel like unless that specified it shouldn't just be linked at random

    Imagine, if they would make both a set and two separate parts.. impossible amount of work.

  • @Mushwin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1567617#Comment_1567617

    Again i am going with, just because she is "typed" doesn't mean she can't look sexy, yes her form isn't as curvalicious but the clothes can and could still work for Claud, her hair isn't as "full" neither is mine all the time, but it's just a game, different hair styles, Claud doesn't have a blonde afro but i sure as hell would love one for her. It's nice and good to see the characters least wearing different things, to be seen as something more then what we deem or their lore is about.

    She can look sexy, sure, but in a design that accentuates her specific body type, not a design for a body type that is significantly curvier than her with some rocking abs. It just ends up looking kind of odd when its translated over.

    It's kind of like when you buy a dress online and put it on and feel like a dork.

  • I'm really hoping for the Legion outfit to still have them face-changing mechanic on it.


    I'm totally going to use the mask for Joey especially if that's the case and even if it face-changing animations it's still nice looking mask.


    I'm also glad that I'll finally have another outfit for Frank besides his Day of the Dead outfit I at least have two outfits I like wearing with each Legion member Frank was needing his second. (Same with Julie as her Rift one is the only one I like)

  • tbh it fits the character more like this, the g string thing didnt fit her at all is better like this tbh, but tbrh i never liked the outfit but is what it is. i understand the complain but it is what it is.

  • @Pichihime said:

    Now this is just really sad. And I feel really bad for Nohequin's vision. You hold a design contest, pick a winner, then alter the design to the point it's nearly unrecognizable, and do a really poor job at it as well.

    This is unprofessional.

    Let's look at the original, winning design:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/HFF68U4GXOSL/egmdtxbx0aayt8g.jpg

    We've got a few selling points:

    Hoodie w/ a G / Hiphop design character on back.

    Dyed hair, hoodie.

    G String, low sweat pants.

    Now here's what BHVR came up with:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/AF3IYMWA0UYU/egmdvs5waaa8nzz.jpg

    They added/removed:

    Earrings, not present in winning design;

    Heart necklace, not present in winning design,

    removed low sweatpants, CHANGED design on back of hoodie,

    no hoodie over her head.

    And the best part of this all:

    This is so amateuristic it won't sell. What will happen is it's will be put in a battle pass with other cool stuff so we kinda just get this for free, because we have to.

    I want to add I understand it's BHVR's property change it as they wish, and they're not legally bound to give the creator what they want. But if you're changing it this much, just don't even hold a design contest.

    Lost my credit. I strongly discourage future artists to not waste time on their """"contests"""".

    Bruh just go somewhere else if you want something to get horny at they don't need to add thongs to their asymmetric 1v4 game

  • The costume they came up with is great... except for the necklace and the earrings

  • The original design is grossly stereotypical, overtly sexualised and the skin colour wasn't nearly dark enough. Also, the stylised nature of the graphic was impossible to replicatem, too. Of course the in-game version wasn't going to look like that.

    It was a bad design and shouldn't have won in the first place.

  • @Pichihime said:

    Now this is just really sad. And I feel really bad for Nohequin's vision. You hold a design contest, pick a winner, then alter the design to the point it's nearly unrecognizable, and do a really poor job at it as well.

    This is unprofessional.

    Let's look at the original, winning design:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/HFF68U4GXOSL/egmdtxbx0aayt8g.jpg

    We've got a few selling points:

    Hoodie w/ a G / Hiphop design character on back.

    Dyed hair, hoodie.

    G String, low sweat pants.

    Now here's what BHVR came up with:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/AF3IYMWA0UYU/egmdvs5waaa8nzz.jpg

    They added/removed:

    Earrings, not present in winning design;

    Heart necklace, not present in winning design,

    removed low sweatpants, CHANGED design on back of hoodie,

    no hoodie over her head.

    And the best part of this all:

    This is so amateuristic it won't sell. What will happen is it's will be put in a battle pass with other cool stuff so we kinda just get this for free, because we have to.

    I want to add I understand it's BHVR's property change it as they wish, and they're not legally bound to give the creator what they want. But if you're changing it this much, just don't even hold a design contest.

    Lost my credit. I strongly discourage future artists to not waste time on their """"contests"""".

    The low pants I understand, thats bordering on Dead Or Alive territory. I agree on the hood.


  • @not_Queef said:

    The original design is grossly stereotypical, overtly sexualised and the skin colour wasn't nearly dark enough. Also, the stylised nature of the graphic was impossible to replicatem, too. Of course the in-game version wasn't going to look like that.

    It was a bad design and shouldn't have won in the first place.

    Dude if they got rid of the thong and kept everything baggy as all hell I don't think you would see anyone complaining.

  • The winning designs will likely be in the free track of a Rift again, just like before. These won't be purchased skins.

    With that said, I doubt we'll get face/mask changing on the Legion skin. That would involve a bunch of custom animation and coding (moving facial UVs around, etc) which would make it a "legendary" skin. And there's no way a legendary skin would go on a free track.

  • I mean..... all things considered, that's about as close as you're going to get to the original while still fitting Claudette's character.

    Claudette is not going to go around with a thong showing. Her skin isn't that light. And the body type of the original just isn't Claudette.

    They clearly could have done the hood on since they managed to create Bunny Feng so idk why they changed that, but that's a pretty decent job on adapting that drawing to fit Claudette and who she is as a person.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/185653/the-claudette-skin-design-compromised

    Bruh just go somewhere else if you want something to get horny at they don't need to add thongs to their asymmetric 1v4 game

    I love how if the thong wasn't there and this skin still got picked the complaints would most likely be the same.

  • @Mandy said:

    On the point concerning the original design, it's quite clearly listed in the rules that BHVR may adapt or modify the submission - so by entering the competition, that rule was agreed to straight away.

    The winning design is incredible, and it's been adapted to suit/fit the character it's intended for and to work within the game.

    Exactly! And a thong wasnt fitting AT ALL. 😳

  • I wasn't expecting the thong either but my opinion is, they shouldn't choose this concept in the first place since it was clear that they won't include this detail. And let's be honest: Everybody know, WHY this concept was so popular back than.

    So they picked THIS concept where it was clear what most of people wanted, just for not following any expectations. It seems a little bit provokingly...

    Anyway, the new outfit has some other problems imo. Why aren't the colour so bright? Why does the pants look like Neas pants? I was hoping for a "shiny" Claudette skin like Meg's or Nea's but the yellow looks so dark...

  • If the original design is unsuitable then why even make it the winner in the first place? Congrats, your prize is your design getting made respectable, and also much worse

  • @Mandy said:

    On the point concerning the original design, it's quite clearly listed in the rules that BHVR may adapt or modify the submission - so by entering the competition, that rule was agreed to straight away.

    The winning design is incredible, and it's been adapted to suit/fit the character it's intended for and to work within the game.

    I understand and is the reason I discourage artists to participate in future design contests as apparently BHVR will just twist and change the design to where its hardly even the same. Such a bad rule. This is hosting a design contest for the wrong reasons. If you want a community submission for the game you should stay true to the design, I am telling you right now the artist is hurt and insulted because of what BHVR chose to do with it. Literally should have just picked someone else. You dont pick someones hard work and 'fix' it, this is basic human decency

    Feng and Clown got in just fine because they were picked with care, this one wasnt

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/185653/the-claudette-skin-design-compromised

    Bruh just go somewhere else if you want something to get horny at they don't need to add thongs to their asymmetric 1v4 game

    Enjoy the upvote, nice gatcha.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    If the original design is unsuitable then why even make it the winner in the first place? Congrats, your prize is your design getting made respectable, and also much worse

    This this this! If it's something you weren't comfortable putting in the game, then choose a different design!

  • I think looks fine for the most part.

  • Shoulda kept the brighter jacket color. Just so she cant become another Blendette. Other than that. I dont see anything real different

  • @NepalibyDaylight said:

    That skin looks fine.... Just would be nice if there was a hood option. You guys make it sound like they changed it drastically when really they didn't. The only thing I feel is off is just the sneaker colors. Those look like ######### to me. Should've put some high tops and change the color or at least the shade of purple.

    People in this community always freak out about everything, i'm actually surprised i didn't see threads like this coming, just wait for them to show the legion skin.

  • @Dito175 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1568260#Comment_1568260

    People in this community always freak out about everything, i'm actually surprised i didn't see threads like this coming, just wait for them to show the legion skin.

    I think it's just a shock as the Feng and Clown skins were hardly changed at all from their original concept art.

  • Here are the differences I see for those who don’t see them.

    • Added Necklace in the new version.

    • Glasses and jacket don’t match the color of the original.

    •Hair looks completely different and in fact the ‘Belle of the Ball’ hair looks more like the one in the original design.

    • Sweatpants aren’t baggy enough IMO.

    • Jacket looks different to me. They changed it to a sportier jacket, when it’s clear that it’s more of a stylish jacket without the drawstrings.

    • Beanie is missing.

    • Design in the back was changed.

    At this point, I can understand why it’s so easy to point out the differences. What I don’t understand is why choose a design which you are going to almost completely change? Especially when it’s a fan-created design. “To fit the character” seems like a weak response to me, when it’s suppose to be about the fan’s creation not how much can your modeler change about it.

  • @mintchapstick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1567782#Comment_1567782

    She can look sexy, sure, but in a design that accentuates her specific body type, not a design for a body type that is significantly curvier than her with some rocking abs. It just ends up looking kind of odd when its translated over.

    It's kind of like when you buy a dress online and put it on and feel like a dork.

    I personally feel the designer just very much drew her like that, she can still rock it, doesn't have to be all curves, if you look at her spring break costume sorry but they gave her a little more hip and that bikini/sarong totally worked for her, she had a little more hip and it looked good so I feel they could of made it work.

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1568284#Comment_1568284

    I think it's just a shock as the Feng and Clown skins were hardly changed at all from their original concept art.

    Because Feng and Clown skins do fit their characters, especially the Clown's one, this one does not fit Claudette at all, she is supposed to be an introverted, bookish, loner nerd. I could see Nea or maybe Kate wearing something like this but not Claudette. The designer did a good artistic job but she/he didnt understand Claudette character at all.

    For me it would be like giving Jeff an expensive bussiness suit with a necktie and clean shave.

  • If it's about sexualization of the character I hope people are consistent when people suggest it for the males too.

    If it's about not fitting the character, there's alot of skins in the game that don't fit other characters but nobody whines about those, they just don't buy them.

    This skin in model looks so different from the original concept, I have to say why even pick it if it's gonna change so drastically.

  • Looks like they can't make anything other than sweat pants.

    That is my main problem with this as baggy cargo pants would have been awesome.

    EDIT* even without the thong.. just want something different.

  • I mean, the original one is not great to begin with. There were so many amazing and unique designs but instead they chose a design that is very weak and boring. In my opinion it shouldn’t have won in the first place but at least BHVR made it a bit better. Also, that g-string? So tacky and cheap. Glad they got rid of it.

  • While I personally don't care about the thong. Is there a reason why this article of clothing is inherently sexual? Cause I don't see it.

  • @HectorBrando said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1568288#Comment_1568288

    Because Feng and Clown skins do fit their characters, especially the Clown's one, this one does not fit Claudette at all, she is supposed to be an introverted, bookish, loner nerd. I could see Nea or maybe Kate wearing something like this but not Claudette. The designer did a good artistic job but she/he didnt understand Claudette character at all.

    For me it would be like giving Jeff an expensive bussiness suit with a necktie and clean shave.

    Then they shouldn't have chosen that design as the winner if they planned on changing several details of it. Just pick a design that better fits the character.

    As for Jeff, he already has a fancy suit, just no necktie or clean shaven face, but his beard is trimmed on that outfit.

  • I think a lot of the issue comes from the original artist's design aesthetic not really fitting the dbd aesthetic. I was trying to imagine what it would look like if they didn't compromise the original design, and I think it would still look weird af.

    The dbd models are too static in their stances and expressions to pull off certain clothing choices. The hair, eyes, glasses, hood, and sweatpants all look good in the original design because of the creator's artistic style. They accounted for Claudette having curves, anime-like features, and cutesy, voluminous hair. DBD claudette is not very curvy, has some of the worst hair choices in the game, and has a realistic face shape.


    If anything, this might deter BHVR from selecting winners with less realistic art style choices.

  • @TheVVitch said:

    I think a lot of the issue comes from the original artist's design aesthetic not really fitting the dbd aesthetic. I was trying to imagine what it would look like if they didn't compromise the original design, and I think it would still look weird af.

    The dbd models are too static in their stances and expressions to pull off certain clothing choices. The hair, eyes, glasses, hood, and sweatpants all look good in the original design because of the creator's artistic style. They accounted for Claudette having curves, anime-like features, and cutesy, voluminous hair. DBD claudette is not very curvy, has some of the worst hair choices in the game, and has a realistic face shape.

    If anything, this might deter BHVR from selecting winners with less realistic art style choices.

    This outfit feels like they picked it because of the style, at the last minute they realized the winner was too stylized but they couldn't back out.

    Now we are left with this gray area where no one is really happy with how this contest has gone and are rightfully worried about the Legion skin.

    Honestly the artist could submit this cosmetic again next year because their cosmetic isn't getting into the game this time.

    sorry the anti spam filter made me post twice.

  • @TheVVitch said:

    I think a lot of the issue comes from the original artist's design aesthetic not really fitting the dbd aesthetic. I was trying to imagine what it would look like if they didn't compromise the original design, and I think it would still look weird af.

    The dbd models are too static in their stances and expressions to pull off certain clothing choices. The hair, eyes, glasses, hood, and sweatpants all look good in the original design because of the creator's artistic style. They accounted for Claudette having curves, anime-like features, and cutesy, voluminous hair. DBD claudette is not very curvy, has some of the worst hair choices in the game, and has a realistic face shape.

    If anything, this might deter BHVR from selecting winners with less realistic art style choices.

    This outfit feels like they picked it because of the style, at the last minute they realized the winner was too stylized but they couldn't back out.

    Now we are left with this gray area where no one is really happy with how this contest has gone and are rightfully worried about the Legion skin.

    Honestly the artist could submit this cosmetic again next year because their cosmetic isn't getting into the game this time.

    sorry the anti spam filter made me post twice.

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1569207#Comment_1569207

    Then they shouldn't have chosen that design as the winner if they planned on changing several details of it. Just pick a design that better fits the character.

    As for Jeff, he already has a fancy suit, just no necktie or clean shaven face, but his beard is trimmed on that outfit.

    Yeah, they shouldnt have picked that one as winner.

    And Jeff fancy suit is just him wearing a blazer over a tacky red shirt, thats a long way from a proper bussiness suit, the ones lawyers, shareholders, CEOs and the kind wear to important meetings or when conducting business, also the beard is trimmed but the long hair remains, its not the same as suddenly having a cosmetic where Jeff appears like this.

    brufau-josu-3004.jpg


  • Like someone else said, its for inspiration, not an exact copy. Has the Legion skin been shown/leaked yet? If so, is there a link?

  • @Zeon_99 said:

    Like someone else said, its for inspiration, not an exact copy. Has the Legion skin been shown/leaked yet? If so, is there a link?

    It hasn't. And I think people are upset because the Clown and Feng skins were nearly exact copies of their concept art.

  • What they did with that skin is a complete let down to me.

    Also, it shows a lack of respect to the original creator of that design.

  • Lmao this is the most picky thread I've ever seen. The skin sucks because they changed a few very small details? Ok then.

  • @Zeon_99 said:

    Like someone else said, its for inspiration, not an exact copy. Has the Legion skin been shown/leaked yet? If so, is there a link?

    "Its for inspiration"


    @PatBrutal said:

    CONSULT THE FULL LEGAL LINES / RULES HERE AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/493/55GLCY4YH6VC.pdf

    TIMELINE

    Submissions are open from

    April 6th to May 3rd 11:59PM EST, 2020

    RESULTS

    Winners will be contacted at the email associated with their forum account between May 16th and May 22nd 2020. Winners will be required to sign a waiver. Results will be public last week of May 2020

    JUDGES

    Members of the Dev team will vote for the 30 best designs.

    Final decision will be made by a panel including the Creative Director and Art Director.

    CONDITIONS

    Entrant must submit an image of their concept for a Dead by Daylight cosmetic. Use of other brand's copyright will lead to disqualification.

    The two winners will be selected based on the following Judging Criteria:

    • Originality
    • Concept
    • Only one submission by entrant is allowed
    • You will need to be able to prove that the work you submit is your own
    • Violation of another brand's copyright will lead to disqualification

    HOW TO PARTICIPATE

    Go to https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/submission-design-your-in-game-cosmetic

    Title your post with your name

    Post content:

    (a) the design of the skin

    (b) a proposed name for the skin in English

    (c) a short description in English presenting the design of the skin.

    Only Submissions of original Killers and Survivors will be accepted. The following licensed Killers and Survivors are not eligible: The Shape, The Cannibal, The Nightmare, The Pig, Ghost Face, The Demogorgon, Laurie Strode, Bill Overbeck, Quentin Smith, David Tapp, Ash Williams, Steve Harrington and Nancy Wheeler

    Submissions with offensive content will not be accepted (i.e. nudity, obscenity, extreme violence, racism, etc.).

    Submissions will be publicly displayed on the Contest Page during the Contest Period only. (terms defined in the contest rules below)

    PRIZES

    2 winners will win the following prizes:

    The 3D adaptation of the winner’s submission by BHVR as an official in-game very rare cosmetic. The cosmetic will be unlockable by all game players in exchange for 21 600 Iridescent Shards (in-game soft currency) and will also be available through the Rift for playtime. The in-game cosmetic will display the username of the winner’s choice as follows: “Design inspired by [USERNAME]”. Usernames with offensive content will not be accepted.

    Should the winners own an account in the Game, the 3D model of their Submission will be awarded to them as a skin in the Game, at no charge. The cosmetic will be sent manually to the winners’ accounts by BHVR.

    Additionally, the winners will win a prize of 10 000 Auric Cells + 1 Rift Unlock (1 000 Auric Cells)

    The full value of the individual prizes is approximately 120$ USD.


    "The 3D adaptation of the winner’s submission by BHVR as an official in-game very rare cosmetic."


    That tells me that, when I submit my design, the prize I expect to receive when I win is an exact copy, and not just "any cosmetic" that used my design as inspiration.


    @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    Lmao this is the most picky thread I've ever seen. The skin sucks because they changed a few very small details? Ok then.

    The skin sucks because it's completely different to what was promised because BHVR somehow deemed it as offensive.

  • @OliviaJadore said:

    Its like we get the AliExpress version of the original design. 🤮

    alix.png

    Yep.

  • @Buckoben said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1568014#Comment_1568014

    Dude if they got rid of the thong and kept everything baggy as all hell I don't think you would see anyone complaining.

    No...I think if they put a thong in and EVERYTHING was different, the pervs would be highly satisfied

  • The legion one looks decent

  • Looks better than the original if anything this is an improvement.

  • It's not like many people will buy this outfit, anyway. It doesn't fit Claudette's character and most Claudette players use the P3 outfit.

  • Lmfao this forum though...I can't wait to see the outrage over the legion skin...

1 2 3