Why do people keep saying there is no counter to Deathslinger?

I know this is a hot topic that surrounds characters like Slinger, but honestly his power usage comes at a great cost, which is that if he messes up, he has to reload.

To demonstrate, I was playing a match just now where I would have gone down in a dead zone had it not been for me reading his fake shot, AND then being quick at turning with his actual shot.

Untitled Image Untitled Image


I am not saying in certain situations he isn't almost too strong, but I think much of the complaints come from how misunderstood his power is. I rarely play as him as killer, but even I know that you can still dodge hits even when there are no LoS blockers.

This is just my opinion.

Comments

  • And if he had hit you, like any skilled Deathslinger would? Sure, you can juke a bad one... But you can juke any bad killer. At the end of the day, you played a guessing game against an impatient killer with terrible aim.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    And if he had hit you, like any skilled Deathslinger would? Sure, you can juke a bad one... But you can juke any bad killer. At the end of the day, you played a guessing game against an impatient killer with terrible aim.

    @MadLordJack

    Actually, he wasn't that bad. That's my point with the post. I was only able to juke him twice, and after that he was able to read my moves.

    So are you saying that if he was skilled he wouldn't deserve those hits? I don't understand. I wasn't guessing, I was making him guess.

    Of course you can juke any killer. The point is that people love to bring up scenarios without any evidence. So to support my opinion I thought I would post the actual way you CAN juke him.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560068#Comment_1560068

    @MadLordJack

    Actually, he wasn't that bad. That's my point with the post. I was only able to juke him twice, and after that he was able to read my moves.

    So are you saying that if he was skilled he wouldn't deserve those hits? I don't understand.

    Of course you can juke any killer. The point is that people love to bring up scenarios without any evidence. So to support my opinion I thought I would post the actual way you CAN juke him.

    He could of easily let you juke yourself and m1'd you. He has no counter in chase he can zone without even pulling his gun up.

  • so your say the only counter is it the killer bad?

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560080#Comment_1560080

    He could of easily let you juke yourself and m1'd you. He has no counter in chase he can zone without even pulling his gun up.

    @azame

    I was no where near M1 distance though. -.- He was trying to fake his power, as you saw.... and I could have easily gone around those walls, but I knew that if I did that, it meant he could have caught up to me and M1'd. So I went to a nearby pallet after he missed, because I had enough time.

    Edit: I added another gif, to show what I mean about the distance part.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    so your say the only counter is it the killer bad?

    @NekoGamerX

    Huh??

    No. I said that you can still dodge his hit.

  • People don't like it because it means you have to juke instead of making distance, but his speed is debuffed when aiming so it's actually even.

  • The thing is that deathslinger's power is really strong on a chase, you have to hope for a bad deathslinger.

    If you get one that is really good you will get downed in a few seconds after the chase.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560068#Comment_1560068

    @MadLordJack

    Actually, he wasn't that bad. That's my point with the post. I was only able to juke him twice, and after that he was able to read my moves.

    So are you saying that if he was skilled he wouldn't deserve those hits? I don't understand.

    Of course you can juke any killer. The point is that people love to bring up scenarios without any evidence. So to support my opinion I thought I would post the actual way you CAN juke him.

    He's Deathslinger - he doesn't have to guess. I never do, I react. That's how you play him. And that first clip? He had no reason to use his power there. None. He was simply going for a fancy shot. If he was a good slinger, he would've waited til you got closer to a loop, thereby making distance and increasing the effective size of your hitbox and altering your desire to juke. I've never been dodged since I started playing that way, I've only ever missed a shot. You can claim I'm just not giving credit to the survivor, but in reality I have people juke me all the time and they don't make me miss because of it, because I don't go for pointless long shots that are actually dodgable thanks to projectile travel speed.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560080#Comment_1560080

    He's Deathslinger - he doesn't have to guess. I never do, I react. That's how you play him. And that first clip? He had no reason to use his power there. None. He was simply going for a fancy shot. If he was a good slinger, he would've waited til you got closer to a loop, thereby making distance and increasing the effective size of your hitbox and altering your desire to juke. I've never been dodged since I started playing that way, I've only ever missed a shot. You can claim I'm just not giving credit to the survivor, but in reality I have people juke me all the time and they don't make me miss because of it, because I don't go for pointless long shots that are actually dodgable thanks to projectile travel speed.

    @MadLordJack

    Well I am glad your playstyle works out for you, doesn't mean there aren't very good Deathslingers who can read your movement from a far.

    Pointless long shot? I had nothing to work with, except for those mini z walls that would have given him a guaranteed M1.

    I can juke a deathslinger even at close range. It's not that hard.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560137#Comment_1560137

    @MadLordJack

    Well I am glad your playstyle works out for you, doesn't mean there aren't very good Deathslingers who can read your movement from a far.

    Pointless long shot? I had nothing to work with, except for those mini z walls that would have given him a guaranteed M1.

    I can juke a deathslinger even at close range. It's not that hard.

    OhTofu and ZubatEL.

  • Because survivors don't want to be challenged. If you're a Kekslinger main, I suggest you be prepared for the inevitable sledgehammer nerf he's sure as death getting.

  • You arrogantly claim to juke close-range shots. Those are two streamers that constantly have people attempting to juke their close-range shots. Tofu's still getting back into the swing of the character, but Zubat is consistently making lives miserable. They are where I learned how little counterplay he has and how quick you can make chases. And it works. Because it's on you to miss, not on the survivors to successfully juke.

  • @TransverseCaster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560103#Comment_1560103

    People don't like it because it means you have to juke instead of making distance, but his speed is debuffed when aiming so it's actually even.

    You cant make distance when he is faking his power the whole time, because you will need to wiggle left and right. And if you dont, he will not fake it and just shoot you. And if he shoots, there is no real way to react, way too fast.

    (But I guess some people here are gods and can evade every Deathslinger-Shot)

    I mean, those are popular, non-biased and really good players at this game. I guess they know what they are talking about.

  • The only true counter against a good Death Slinger is to gen rush him, and use his poor movement speed around the map to beat him. Chases are usually very quick due to the fact that he can flick his gun causing you to juke and gain speed on you very drastically. Or pay attention to how you like to juke and shoot you. Of course if you go to many different areas that would normally be good for survivors, lot of different loops become unsafe against him, and windows are nearly pointless if you've already been injured.

  • In the first gif he just straight up misses you. That’s not counterplay, that’s a killer making a mistake.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560155#Comment_1560155

    You arrogantly claim to juke close-range shots. Those are two streamers that constantly have people attempting to juke their close-range shots. Tofu's still getting back into the swing of the character, but Zubat is consistently making lives miserable. They are where I learned how little counterplay he has and how quick you can make chases. And it works. Because it's on you to miss, not on the survivors to successfully juke.

    @MadLordJack

    Oh I am not being arrogant, I am speaking from my own experience.

    I love OhTofu, I've learned a lot from him (Not sure who the other person is, I assume a streamer since you are throwing names out).

    "Because it's on you to miss, not on the survivors to successfully juke."

    This couldn't be further from the truth. A simple turn could make Deathslinger miss. It doesn't always work, but if you are clearly aiming at something and they turn it doesn't mean you are going to hit your shot.

    Untitled Image


  • @xenotimebong said:

    In the first gif he just straight up misses you. That’s not counterplay, that’s a killer making a mistake.

    @xenotimebong

    If I had not wiggled/turned to the other side, he wouldn't have missed.

    That's the point.

    Even the streamer said "Wow, nice dodge". Like you can't really make this stuff up.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560068#Comment_1560068

    @MadLordJack

    Actually, he wasn't that bad. That's my point with the post. I was only able to juke him twice, and after that he was able to read my moves.

    So are you saying that if he was skilled he wouldn't deserve those hits? I don't understand.

    Of course you can juke any killer. The point is that people love to bring up scenarios without any evidence. So to support my opinion I thought I would post the actual way you CAN juke him.

    Fair enough but if he was a good slinger he would have hit you. A good slinger has no counter that is not fair. A good nurse still has counter. A good huntress has counter. Why is slinger different?

  • It's because your survival depends upon his ability to aim. Your skill as a survivor just goes out the window, sure you can juke a bad deathslinger but that isn't anything that you did as a survivor, he just missed. It gets frustrating after a bit and it makes playing against him just completely boring. His shots connect immediately so it gives you no time to react, if he can aim then you're basically done for

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560119#Comment_1560119

    You cant make distance when he is faking his power the whole time, because you will need to wiggle left and right. And if you dont, he will not fake it and just shoot you. And if he shoots, there is no real way to react, way too fast.

    (But I guess some people here are gods and can evade every Deathslinger-Shot)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560155#Comment_1560155

    I mean, those are popular, non-biased and really good players at this game. I guess they know what they are talking about.

    "You cant make distance when he is faking his power the whole time"

    This obviously is not true. You can pan your camera to see what he's doing at all times, you just have to not run into walls.

  • @999 said:

    It's because your survival depends upon his ability to aim. Your skill as a survivor just goes out the window, sure you can juke a bad deathslinger but that isn't anything that you did as a survivor, he just missed. It gets frustrating after a bit and it makes playing against him just completely boring. His shots connect immediately so it gives you no time to react, if he can aim then you're basically done for

    @999

    There are instances that I can think of where, sure, you could absolutely be <bad word> if you don't react within enough time. Like a corner for example. For some reason my reaction time is trash at corners, because I always try to keep going around instead of turning the opposite way for a sec and continuing along that path after.

    The sound of his harpoon is basically your queue to move. That's how much time you have.

  • @TransverseCaster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560165#Comment_1560165

    "You cant make distance when he is faking his power the whole time"

    This obviously is not true. You can pan your camera to see what he's doing at all times, you just have to not run into walls.

    You lose distance when you do not run in a straight line. I think this is quite easy to understand.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560192#Comment_1560192

    @999

    There are instances that I can think of where, sure, you could absolutely be <bad word> if you don't react within enough time. Like a corner for example. For some reason my reaction time is trash at corners, because I always try to keep going around instead of turning the opposite way for a sec and continuing along that path after.

    The sound of his harpoon is basically your queue to move. That's how much time you have.

    True, you are able to dodge at certain distances, but most slingers would just wait for the close to mid range shot anyway where you have almost zero time to prepare for. I feel like the reason it's brought up so often is because it's a guessing game.

    People, including myself, just find it very un-fun to face him because it seems like no matter how hard you've practiced or all the skill you've acquired, it just doesn't matter at the end of the day and it will always just be a guessing game

    Do I think he's OP? No, I don't. But if you asked me who was my least favorite killer to face he'd probably be up there and this is the reason why

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560176#Comment_1560176

    @xenotimebong

    If I had not wiggled/turned to the other side, he wouldn't have missed.

    That's the point.

    Even the streamer said "Wow, nice dodge". Like you can't really make this stuff up.

    You turned after he fired, your wiggle made no difference to him missing.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560186#Comment_1560186

    You turned after he fired, your wiggle made no difference to him missing.

    @xenotimebong

    Did I turn after he shot in this one too?

    Untitled Image

    That wouldn’t even make any sense anyway... why would it miss if they are clearly aiming at you after they shot??

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560197#Comment_1560197

    You lose distance when you do not run in a straight line. I think this is quite easy to understand.

    You also gain distance when he aims down sights. Also quite easy to understand. You can easily tell when to juke by looking at him. I hope you're actually doing this and not juking randomly. If you're randomly swerving that might explain why you're having so much difficulty.

  • Use cover and don't get shot

  • @TeabaggingGhostface said:

    Use cover and don't get shot

    This. He's a 110 killer. Use loops with walls that block line of sight. Run the loops so that he has a hard time getting a shot. That window at the long wall jungle gym that usually destroys killers? Don't take it!. Watch out for gaps in loops that he can shoot you through. If you're out in the open and Deathslinger finds you, that's your fault.

  • Good Deathslingers quickscope which doesn't give the survivor a lot of time to react to his shots which can feel unfair compared to say Huntress who has to wind up her hatchet before she throws allowing the survivor time to juke her hatchet.

    However, just because you can't react to his shots doesn't mean you can't counter him. With good planning and understanding of tiles you can run Deathslinger around walls and other LoS blockers to deny Deathslinger good opportunities to shoot. On top of that pallet loops that don't have a super short side are also impossible for Deathslinger to deal with when the pallet is thrown as he won't make it in time before the chain breaks. The main issue is sometimes rng isn't kind and you don't have many tiles to play around that Deathslinger struggles at.

  • @TransverseCaster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560204#Comment_1560204

    You also gain distance when he aims down sights. Also quite easy to understand. You can easily tell when to juke by looking at him. I hope you're actually doing this and not juking randomly. If you're randomly swerving that might explain why you're having so much difficulty.

    Good Deathslingers dont aim down sights, they quickscope.

  • If he's close enough to bluff his shots, then he's too close as it is, and you're going to get hit.

    He has counterplay. He may have more control in a 1v1 than other killers, but cover can really, really hinder him. I don't know why survivors know to duck against Huntress, but don't against Deathslinger.

  • Surviving against a deathslinger depends on his skill not the survivors.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560256#Comment_1560256

    Good Deathslingers dont aim down sights, they quickscope.

    I've literally never seen that in my life. Not even once.

  • @Kellie said:

    Surviving against a deathslinger depends on his skill not the survivors.

    Survivors can ride pallets and vaults. It's not that hard. If I'm running Sprint Burst it's a guaranteed lengthier chase.

  • @TransverseCaster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560414#Comment_1560414

    Survivors can ride pallets and vaults. It's not that hard. If I'm running Sprint Burst it's a guaranteed lengthier chase.

    I mean, they can vault pallets and windows and what not but they'll still be shot at and hit. And since a deathslinger can quickscope, sprint burst is isn't efficient where as against a huntress it would be since she has a windup. Unlike deathslinger.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    And if he had hit you, like any skilled Deathslinger would? Sure, you can juke a bad one... But you can juke any bad killer. At the end of the day, you played a guessing game against an impatient killer with terrible aim.

    That's how the balance is supposed to work. The killer is the power role. In a situation where the killer and survivor are of equal skill, the killer should ALWAYS get the upper hand simply because he's outnumbered 4 to 1.

  • @Kellie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560421#Comment_1560421

    I mean, they can vault pallets and windows and what not but they'll still be shot at and hit. And since a deathslinger can quickscope, sprint burst is isn't efficient where as against a huntress it would be since she has a windup. Unlike deathslinger.

    Again: I have never seen a single quickscope happen against me or my group.

  • he can shoot over the majority of loops and zones windows for free

    ahhh the cockslinger held is ads at the window and mindlessly zoned me weeeeeee outtplaayyedd

    he can literally spam ads and ads in less than 1 frame

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560088#Comment_1560088

    @azame

    I was no where near M1 distance though. -.- He was trying to fake his power, as you saw.... and I could have easily gone around those walls, but I knew that if I did that, it meant he could have caught up to me and M1'd. So I went to a nearby pallet after he missed, because I had enough time.

    Edit: I added another gif, to show what I mean about the distance part.

    you have not played against a half decent slinger he would just spam ads and wait for you to run into a area with no loop.

  • @CosmicParagon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560068#Comment_1560068

    That's how the balance is supposed to work. The killer is the power role. In a situation where the killer and survivor are of equal skill, the killer should ALWAYS get the upper hand simply because he's outnumbered 4 to 1.

    And that mentality is why generators are as quick as they are.

  • Because the game is a 1v1v1v1v1 not a 4v1. the end result of the match doesn't matter if YOU are dead right?

  • His counter is gen rush. He’s too slow to put any pressure. Sure he can down people quick but now he has to slowly walk across the map to gens finishing before he gets there.

  • @Rivyn said:

    If he's close enough to bluff his shots, then he's too close as it is, and you're going to get hit.

    He has counterplay. He may have more control in a 1v1 than other killers, but cover can really, really hinder him. I don't know why survivors know to duck against Huntress, but don't against Deathslinger.

    Because unlike slinger they can react to huntress winding up also you refused to join me in a custom and show me the counterplay and also didnt give me a reason why.

    Once again you can not counter something you cant react to. Also slinger is the only killer to zone just by existing how is that fair? Why does he have psychological effect on survivors that's so oppressive it's a turn off.

  • @Lansen_is_Here said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560164#Comment_1560164

    Oh wow! Those poor survivors knowing how it feels to be a killer player for the entirety of dbd's lifespan, the devs should nerf deathslinger right away! How could dare they make a killer a viable and threatening to survivors and their security of their numerous saftey nets.

    That's a lie the patch 2.0 was the redemption mark. Front hat patch forward there hasnt veen any survivor buffs or real qol changes. The last meaningful change to survivor was fixing window momentum! Not even a buff but a damn bug fix!

    You can cut the ######### with your us vs them mentality. Killers are constantly getting buffs and survivors are very much neglected even though they have problems of their own such as killer sided hits.

    My point is chill with that mentality of yours and look at things objectively and realize what's unfair.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560352#Comment_1560352

    Because unlike slinger they can react to huntress winding up also you refused to join me in a custom and show me the counterplay and also didnt give me a reason why.

    Once again you can not counter something you cant react to. Also slinger is the only killer to zone just by existing how is that fair? Why does he have psychological effect on survivors that's so oppressive it's a turn off.

    Because your team counters death slinger.

    Are you going down to Ds in 5 seconds or what? A killer that moves at 110%, has a slow down from hitting you, and a slow down from reeling in his weapon and is weak to pallets and walls.

    The game isn't about YOU what is the end result of the match?

  • @Lansen_is_Here said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560916#Comment_1560916

    Saying survivors have been getting neglected is the biggest load of bs I have ever heard, what neglecting do you receive when you have basically been the killer in the game for its entire lifespan?

    I've been playing for 3 years since 2017 how long you been playing? Also my killer main friend who btw I should mention is s legacy 3 friend he says himself survivors are being neglected. Yes killers need to be worked on, yes they need buffs, but you dont neglect the other side.

    Once again no info on server updates. No talk about dead zones. No talk about why they keep making killers without thinking about survivors fun. And if you are gonna say fun isnt an argument they edited loops in patch 2.0 because killers didnt have fun chasing. Loops were significantly larger and way harder to chase.

    So what was the last survivor buff. Killer need does not equal buff btw.

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560905#Comment_1560905

    Because your team counters death slinger.

    Are you going down to Ds in 5 seconds or what? A killer that moves at 110%, has a slow down from hitting you, and a slow down from reeling in his weapon and is weak to pallets and walls.

    The game isn't about YOU what is the end result of the match?

    Ok if you are gonna bring in the team arguement fine. For starters 1v1 chase is the most fun part of the game if a killer gives is so oppressive in chase you vant counter or even have any input to winning it's boring and a turn off. So you can leave that point alone its invali.

    Ok so despite all these flaws you said why does zubatlel people who claim is one of the best say hes a top tier killer. Just go on youtube and find clips of him playing slinger and count how long those chases last.

    Never said that but I also try to have fun. If the most fun part of the game isnt fun because of poor game design I rather not play.

  • @Lansen_is_Here said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560936#Comment_1560936

    They have been focusing so hard on the killers side of things because survivors were that broken ya dolt. Last time I checked they are the power role in a 4v1 game which made this game into a divisive toxic bully simulator for a group of toxic Europeans to gather every week and bully whoever was unfortunate enough to be playing the victim role, how do you think ochido got so popular? It wasn't by playing killer, it was for being a toxic scumbag bullying killers and that is what this game promoted and you want survivor buffs?

    Yes I do want them to focus on killers. Survivors were op this sign 2017 I can tell you are a new player 2019 from the way you speak of survivors. Survivors are only op if it's a 4 man optimal swf which is a minority. You dont go against that because this game is full of trash players that's why it's so easy when you are good.

    But I digress you ignored multiple of my questions number 1 when was the last survivor buff and when did you start since you survivors are so "op." It's always the newer killer mains dont know what op is. Ochido was popular at that time because survivors were broken and he made videos bullying baby killers tho because even then a good killer stomped him.

    I want survivor buffs because there are real problems that you neglect yourself which is not healthy we are humans too yk. If you neglect one side of the community it then will leave. So once again when were the last survivor buff we havent had any in 2 years. Also when did you start playing?

‹ 1 2 3