What is some bad/wrong advice you see repeated a lot? Or a tip that is only sometimes true

So I see advice given in the forums, often to new players by supposed expert red rank elite survivors/killers. Then I see two players throwing around their 5000 hour e-peens to argue which each other. And of course we have, to a limited extent, end game chat advice.

But what are some things that you see repeated over and over, often without any sort of explanation, just because someone said so once now it's cool to repeat.

Never drop shack pallet with 5 gens left. This could actually be furthered to "wasting pallets," in general which is a whole other thread. Anyways, if someone is being chased at shack and needs the pallet to keep from going down I don't mind. If they stay up for another 20-30 seconds because of it that means their teammates can all stay on gens. Once a killer starts the cycle of hook, save, chase, repeat is when the game really slows down for survivors.

Don't use self care EVER. Again, something that could be a thread all it's own, but there are times that self-care is okay. The perk itself isn't bad, just the way that a lot of people tend to use it.

Comments

  • 'Do bones'.

    It is often much better to rush gens instead of cleansing totems, especially when solo queuing.

    Because 1) There is no totem counter. You could cleanse 4 totems and spend ages looking for the 5th totem only for it to have already been cleansed.

    2) You could waste a bunch of time that you can't afford to waste. It's already hard enough getting all the gens done in solo queue.

    3) The killer might not even have NOED.

    4) If the killer does have NOED it is faster to find it when it is activated.

    If you're playing against a good killer, you just HAVE to prioritise gens. Cleansing totems isn't going to activate the exit gates. 5 Gens will. E.g it is MUCH better to rush gens against a forever Freddy, instead of wasting valuable time.

    The only time 'do bones' may be applicable is if you're in a 4 man SWF (so you know how many totems have been cleansed) or if you've got a map and know for sure that all the totems have been cleansed. In both situations the killer needs to be bad enough so that you know you have time to cleanse all totems and finish all gens and escape. Otherwise rush gens.

  • 99 the gates. I understand the rationale behind it, but really how often is blood warden really used? And as far as end game saves, there typically is still plenty of time to trade a couple of hooks here and there.

    I'd say I've probably been killed more injured running toward a 99'd gate then by running out of time from someone opening the gates too soon.

    And blood warden is at least one of the few fun "oh #########" moments in the game.

  • “Just play injured.”

    To clarify: this is often very good advice. There are times when it’s okay to play injured, and people should become more comfortable with the idea of being injured instead of panicking. There are perks that can help and speed is often of the essence, sometimes healing can wait. That said, if everyone on the team is injured and the killer is patrolling the hook, slugging or otherwise pressuring, for the love of god stop trading and HEAL.

    I’ve had so many matches as survivor thrown because people were too impatient to spend 16 seconds healing one guy and letting them go for the rescue. I’ve had killer matches where the survivors stubbornly refused to heal and I snowballed from there. Sometimes you have to heal to slow a killer’s momentum. Especially if they have Infectious.

  • "Don't do dull totems just memorize where you see them so you don't waste time away from gens, if noed is activated you can go cleanse totem then." Great, except if YOU are the one that is downed by NOED and you have randoms that don't know where that totem is so are just going to leave you on first hook. Just take few seconds to cleanse the dull totems, get some extra BP from it, and ruin a killers end game plan.

    "Don't cleanse lit totems until you know what hex it is, could be Haunted Grounds." Could also be Devour Hope that once killer has unlimited insta down can quickly have game become a 4k since they'll also know the area all the survivors will be heading. Haunted Grounds only lasts a minute and rarely do I see the killer down a healthy survivor while it's activated, usually if they down a survivor it's one that was already injured and in a chase. Pretty sure this was started by killer mains so their hex totems would last longer.

    "Don't use stealth" If you are terrible at chases but awesome at gens and having safe unhooks then play stealth. If your stealth is locker hopping/hiding in corner of map then you're just useless. As long as you are helping the team you should play to your strengths.

    "If you're last survivor don't wiggle and the killer will give you the hatch." Lies. Started by killer mains so last survivor won't wiggle free and keep them from 4k. 😂

  • "Don't use self-care"

    When used properly it can be backbreaking for some killers. It gets a bad rep because it's a learning perk, but so many people get hit, then run across the map until they can't hear the heartbeat, run a few more miles, grab some water, run a marathon, find the corner of the map, and start self-caring when they're affected by sloppy butcher.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    'Do bones'.

    It is often much better to rush gens instead of cleansing totems, especially when solo queuing.

    Because 1) There is no totem counter. You could cleanse 4 totems and spend ages looking for the 5th totem only for it to have already been cleansed.

    2) You could waste a bunch of time that you can't afford to waste. It's already hard enough getting all the gens done in solo queue.

    3) The killer might not even have NOED.

    4) If the killer does have NOED it is faster to find it when it is activated.

    If you're playing against a good killer, you just HAVE to prioritise gens. Cleansing totems isn't going to activate the exit gates. 5 Gens will. E.g it is MUCH better to rush gens against a forever Freddy, instead of wasting valuable time.

    The only time 'do bones' may be applicable is if you're in a 4 man SWF (so you know how many totems have been cleansed) or if you've got a map and know for sure that all the totems have been cleansed. In both situations the killer needs to be bad enough so that you know you have time to cleanse all totems and finish all gens and escape. Otherwise rush gens.

    Yep, even with a map or Detective I don’t go out of my way to get dulls. I’ll just start once the last gen is powered and hope NOED is close to me or at least away from the doors.

    @malloymk said:

    99 the gates. I understand the rationale behind it, but really how often is blood warden really used? And as far as end game saves, there typically is still plenty of time to trade a couple of hooks here and there.

    I'd say I've probably been killed more injured running toward a 99'd gate then by running out of time from someone opening the gates too soon.

    And blood warden is at least one of the few fun "oh #########" moments in the game.

    This is the perfect example that someone sees used in a specific situation then immediately does every game. You can even see games where 2 survuvors 99 one gate and wait while 2 others 99 the other gate and leads to someone getting caught.

    @lucid4444 said:

    "Don't use self-care"

    When used properly it can be backbreaking for some killers. It gets a bad rep because it's a learning perk, but so many people get hit, then run across the map until they can't hear the heartbeat, run a few more miles, grab some water, run a marathon, find the corner of the map, and start self-caring when they're affected by sloppy butcher.

    Thats why I hate when people call self care a bad perk, or say only bad players use it. A good example it helped is when a killer had my only living teammate hooked and I was able to self care far away and then go for the save. Had it not been for SC I would have just had to open the gate and leave.

  • Saw this one recently on here actually.

    "Stop crawling under pallets"

  • @xenotimebong said:

    “Just play injured.”

    To clarify: this is often very good advice. There are times when it’s okay to play injured, and people should become more comfortable with the idea of being injured instead of panicking. There are perks that can help and speed is often of the essence, sometimes healing can wait. That said, if everyone on the team is injured and the killer is patrolling the hook, slugging or otherwise pressuring, for the love of god stop trading and HEAL.

    I’ve had so many matches as survivor thrown because people were too impatient to spend 16 seconds healing one guy and letting them go for the rescue. I’ve had killer matches where the survivors stubbornly refused to heal and I snowballed from there. Sometimes you have to heal to slow a killer’s momentum. Especially if they have Infectious.

    Yep, one injured teammate running in to make a save and hook trade instead of waiting for us to all group heal and reset.

    Sometimes I wonder if people know the hook stages are each 60 second

  • @Pepsidot said:

    'Do bones'.

    It is often much better to rush gens instead of cleansing totems, especially when solo queuing.

    Because 1) There is no totem counter. You could cleanse 4 totems and spend ages looking for the 5th totem only for it to have already been cleansed.

    2) You could waste a bunch of time that you can't afford to waste. It's already hard enough getting all the gens done in solo queue.

    3) The killer might not even have NOED.

    4) If the killer does have NOED it is faster to find it when it is activated.

    If you're playing against a good killer, you just HAVE to prioritise gens. Cleansing totems isn't going to activate the exit gates. 5 Gens will. E.g it is MUCH better to rush gens against a forever Freddy, instead of wasting valuable time.

    The only time 'do bones' may be applicable is if you're in a 4 man SWF (so you know how many totems have been cleansed) or if you've got a map and know for sure that all the totems have been cleansed. In both situations the killer needs to be bad enough so that you know you have time to cleanse all totems and finish all gens and escape. Otherwise rush gens.

    Totems are worth more points than gens per/second. If I'm trying to max points I'm doing them. I only solo-queue/killer.

  • Bad advice I see a lot. Survivors telling people to always bring DS. If you need DS to escape then maybe you shouldn't have escaped. I know someone is going to say "Killers tunnel me to death" Either learn to be better at chases, learn to hide or play with swf so they can finish gens while your being tunneled.

  • NOED is for bad players.

    If you run NOED and end with 3 gens up, you're apparently bad for using 3 perks all game.

    If you pressure the survivors enough so that doing bones is actually detrimental and they gen rush you and/or struggle just to get to endgame, allowing you to clean up any survivors left alive with NOED, you're also bad.

    If you're actually bad, get looped, get 0 hooks all game, and get clowned on all game allowing ample time for bones, it's also your fault for killing people with NOED because you're bad, apparently, and have now become a god thanks to NOED.

  • Stealth is bad and detrimental to your team. When done correctly & as long as you do objectives, and can switch to being more aggressive if your teammates are being hooked and you haven't been then it can be very good and waste a lot of the killer's time without wasting pallets.

  • @Raccoon said:

    NOED is for bad players.

    If you run NOED and end with 3 gens up, you're apparently bad for using 3 perks all game.

    If you pressure the survivors enough so that doing bones is actually detrimental and they gen rush you and/or struggle just to get to endgame, allowing you to clean up any survivors left alive with NOED, you're also bad.

    If you're actually bad, get looped, get 0 hooks all game, and get clowned on all game allowing ample time for bones, it's also your fault for killing people with NOED because you're bad, apparently, and have now become a god thanks to NOED.

    And more generally this notion that if all the gens are done then you are a "bad killer". Not true. The game is balanced around an average of 2 kills per game with an equal number of killer wins and killer losses plus some draws. So if, for instance, if when players are equally matched you have 40% killer wins with 3-4 kills, 40% killer loses with 0-1 kills, and 20% it's a draw at 2 kills, then that means 60% of balanced matches end up with 0-2 kills, all of which are because the Exits are open (minus a few times more than one person gets out with a key). Therefore the majority of the time you face equally good opponents, even if you play well, the gates will be open and all the gens done.

    So no, it's not a sign of a "bad killer" or "gen rushing" or anything like that when all the gens are done most of the time. It's a natural outcome of the game being balanced around draw games happening at 2 kills. Stopping all the gens from being done is going to be the exception, not the rule. And in the case of NOED it means that most games NOED can trigger at the end unless the survivors destroy it beforehand. Therefore NOED is pretty similar to other Exposed perks like Haunted Grounds and Devour Hope and Make Your Choice, the main difference simply being that NOED triggers at the end of the match while the others trigger mid-match. There's nothing shameful about using NOED and it's not a sign of a bad killer, it's just means the killer is choosing to have a perk that focuses on the last two minutes of the game just like some people choose to have, say, Corrupt Intervention and Whispers primarily to help in the first minute or two of the game.

  • @bm33 said:

    "Don't do dull totems just memorize where you see them so you don't waste time away from gens, if noed is activated you can go cleanse totem then." Great, except if YOU are the one that is downed by NOED and you have randoms that don't know where that totem is so are just going to leave you on first hook. Just take few seconds to cleanse the dull totems, get some extra BP from it, and ruin a killers end game plan.

    "Don't cleanse lit totems until you know what hex it is, could be Haunted Grounds." Could also be Devour Hope that once killer has unlimited insta down can quickly have game become a 4k since they'll also know the area all the survivors will be heading. Haunted Grounds only lasts a minute and rarely do I see the killer down a healthy survivor while it's activated, usually if they down a survivor it's one that was already injured and in a chase. Pretty sure this was started by killer mains so their hex totems would last longer.

    "Don't use stealth" If you are terrible at chases but awesome at gens and having safe unhooks then play stealth. If your stealth is locker hopping/hiding in corner of map then you're just useless. As long as you are helping the team you should play to your strengths.

    "If you're last survivor don't wiggle and the killer will give you the hatch." Lies. Started by killer mains so last survivor won't wiggle free and keep them from 4k. 😂

    If i pick up the last survivor and they dont struggle i always find hatch or bring them to the exit. Not all killers do, but a good chunk do. Or used to.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1545417#Comment_1545417

    If i pick up the last survivor and they dont struggle i always find hatch or bring them to the exit. Not all killers do, but a good chunk do. Or used to.

    I'm the same way, if they don't struggle I give hatch but if I've had to sweat like crazy for that 4k I'll occasionally hook, or if it was someone that was doing toxic things like hook farming or sandbagging their teammates and they're the last alive I don't care if they struggle or not, they're going on the hook.

  • Just run iron will vs spirit.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    So I see advice given in the forums, often to new players by supposed expert red rank elite survivors/killers. Then I see two players throwing around their 5000 hour e-peens to argue which each other. And of course we have, to a limited extent, end game chat advice.

    But what are some things that you see repeated over and over, often without any sort of explanation, just because someone said so once now it's cool to repeat.

    Never drop shack pallet with 5 gens left. This could actually be furthered to "wasting pallets," in general which is a whole other thread. Anyways, if someone is being chased at shack and needs the pallet to keep from going down I don't mind. If they stay up for another 20-30 seconds because of it that means their teammates can all stay on gens. Once a killer starts the cycle of hook, save, chase, repeat is when the game really slows down for survivors.

    Don't use self care EVER. Again, something that could be a thread all it's own, but there are times that self-care is okay. The perk itself isn't bad, just the way that a lot of people tend to use it.

    Worst advice I see is "start with Claudette". You're pretty much sabotaging a new player by encouraging self care use.

    Also "unlock all teachables" by do I regret listening to that.

  • @malloymk said:

    99 the gates. I understand the rationale behind it, but really how often is blood warden really used? And as far as end game saves, there typically is still plenty of time to trade a couple of hooks here and there.

    I'd say I've probably been killed more injured running toward a 99'd gate then by running out of time from someone opening the gates too soon.

    And blood warden is at least one of the few fun "oh #########" moments in the game.

    I don't necessarily think it's because of Blood Warden, I think it's more preventing the EGC timer from starting for as long as possible. I've had games where we fly thru gens but then 3 or 4 hooks happen after the last gen is powered, and if the gate was opened instead of 99ed we'd have to leave people behind or die to the collapse.

  • "Ignore the object and get them later"

  • @KnotEnthusiast said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1545389#Comment_1545389

    I don't necessarily think it's because of Blood Warden, I think it's more preventing the EGC timer from starting for as long as possible. I've had games where we fly thru gens but then 3 or 4 hooks happen after the last gen is powered, and if the gate was opened instead of 99ed we'd have to leave people behind or die to the collapse.

    I understand that. 3 minutes is a long time though. Like most games last around 10 minutes. So why get someome downed at a 99 gate when you could just open the gate and not have to slow down an injured dude near the exit gate.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    So I see advice given in the forums, often to new players by supposed expert red rank elite survivors/killers. Then I see two players throwing around their 5000 hour e-peens to argue which each other. And of course we have, to a limited extent, end game chat advice.

    But what are some things that you see repeated over and over, often without any sort of explanation, just because someone said so once now it's cool to repeat.

    Never drop shack pallet with 5 gens left. This could actually be furthered to "wasting pallets," in general which is a whole other thread. Anyways, if someone is being chased at shack and needs the pallet to keep from going down I don't mind. If they stay up for another 20-30 seconds because of it that means their teammates can all stay on gens. Once a killer starts the cycle of hook, save, chase, repeat is when the game really slows down for survivors.

    Don't use self care EVER. Again, something that could be a thread all it's own, but there are times that self-care is okay. The perk itself isn't bad, just the way that a lot of people tend to use it.

    Ppl who still think thana + sloppy legion is still is a thing.

  • Ummmm Thana + Sloppy Legion actually is still a thing though....

  • Definitely have to second the whole "just play injured thing" being terrible advice

    If you're playing against a stealth killer, you're pretty much making yourself an easy down by not healing. The only exception is if you bring Iron Will and Spine Chill to know when they're coming but then that's 2 whole perk slots you have to dedicate to your "just play injured" playstyle

    Even if it's not a stealth killer though, you have to be an amazing looper to only play with one hit in a chase which is not a skill everyone has.

  • Also I don't know if this comes from advice or just people playing scared all the time, but I really wish people wouldn't try to run halfway across the galaxy when you pull them off a hook and then expect you to heal them way over there.

    I used to follow them but now I don't anymore. This is especially annoying because I run We'll Make It on every character who has the perk unlocked and the game tells you that I have We'll Make It when I pull them. All the time people spend running from the hook when the killer is nowhere near, I could have been done healing them and both us of could be back on an objective.

    Unless there's an immediate threat or the killer is on the way back and can get there quickly, just stand still and let people heal you

  • Telling a new player not to run self care. Yes at higher ranks you should start using other perks but as a new player you really should start with claudette.

    You can't rely on randoms at those ranks. If your going to hide then you should use the best character for it. Also I think Empathy is an extremely good new player perk since it gives a lot of information.

  • @malloymk said:

    99 the gates. I understand the rationale behind it, but really how often is blood warden really used? And as far as end game saves, there typically is still plenty of time to trade a couple of hooks here and there.

    I'd say I've probably been killed more injured running toward a 99'd gate then by running out of time from someone opening the gates too soon.

    And blood warden is at least one of the few fun "oh #########" moments in the game.

    99 ing is smart because it allows players to get relatively safe in the event of a noed user. Rushing the gate whilst a survivor is being chased is suicidal if noed activates.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1546107#Comment_1546107

    Ummmm Thana + Sloppy Legion actually is still a thing though....

    It isn't only ppl who still run that are idiots

  • @RakimSockem said:

    Also I don't know if this comes from advice or just people playing scared all the time, but I really wish people wouldn't try to run halfway across the galaxy when you pull them off a hook and then expect you to heal them way over there.

    I used to follow them but now I don't anymore. This is especially annoying because I run We'll Make It on every character who has the perk unlocked and the game tells you that I have We'll Make It when I pull them. All the time people spend running from the hook when the killer is nowhere near, I could have been done healing them and both us of could be back on an objective.

    Unless there's an immediate threat or the killer is on the way back and can get there quickly, just stand still and let people heal you

    If I'm running WMI or Botany and I buttdance to let the guy know I can heal them fast....I'm not following them off into oblivion if they leave @_@

  • @xenotimebong said:

    “Just play injured.”

    To clarify: this is often very good advice. There are times when it’s okay to play injured, and people should become more comfortable with the idea of being injured instead of panicking. There are perks that can help and speed is often of the essence, sometimes healing can wait. That said, if everyone on the team is injured and the killer is patrolling the hook, slugging or otherwise pressuring, for the love of god stop trading and HEAL.

    I’ve had so many matches as survivor thrown because people were too impatient to spend 16 seconds healing one guy and letting them go for the rescue. I’ve had killer matches where the survivors stubbornly refused to heal and I snowballed from there. Sometimes you have to heal to slow a killer’s momentum. Especially if they have Infectious.

    @RakimSockem said:

    Definitely have to second the whole "just play injured thing" being terrible advice

    If you're playing against a stealth killer, you're pretty much making yourself an easy down by not healing. The only exception is if you bring Iron Will and Spine Chill to know when they're coming but then that's 2 whole perk slots you have to dedicate to your "just play injured" playstyle

    Even if it's not a stealth killer though, you have to be an amazing looper to only play with one hit in a chase which is not a skill everyone has.

    Sorry if I am double replying but I wanted to touch on this again, playing injured for A LOT of people is a bad idea. Getting healed takes about 16 seconds, and being able to take two hits instead of one before you go down should extend your chase by longer than 16 seconds just by using the speed burst from getting hit and holding W straight ahead. Then if you manage to make a loop it's way better time wise. I can't stand when my team refuses a heal and stays injured then I see all 3 go down in about 15 seconds... sigh

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    "Corrupt Intervention is a solid perk"

    Yeah, if they don't sit there and make the game boring for 2 minutes straight. Or if it even blocks the right gens.

    I get that it's useful on trap killers but I hate it on everyone else.

    You just don't know how to find survivors my guy. Next time you have trouble with people playing immersed try walking away from uncovered gens for a few seconds to lure them out. Guaranteed at least one of them will have progress on.

  • Don't use stealth: Well, it works for me! It's saved me numerous times and I've saved others numerous time. Being a good "runner" is fine, but being good at all aspects is much better.

    NOED is for n00bs: No it's not. It's for teaching survivors not to be cocky little ***** and also may never even be used, meaning you're a perk down.

    DS & Unbreakable OP: Again, they are used in specific situations. Unbreakable can be practically useless, and DS again is only active for a set period of time. Just don't tunnel.

    Killers/Survivors are [insert complaint]: Both sides have good/ bad/ friendly/ toxic/ funny/ competitive players. Neither side are supposedly the sole problematic side. Try playing both sides and that will become clear.

  • Self-Care is a good perk