Sexual Orientation

I for one would be fine with them adding in a lgbtq+ character into the game or changing the lore for someone as it hasn’t been mentioned before.

The only romance we have is Wraith and Nurse with cosmetics that i don’t think are canon. Frank and Julie confirmed by the lore. And kinda nancy and steve that are exes.

Honestly if a character became gay it would firstly become more diverse and have better representation, and the gaming community lacks this.


One game that has achieved this well is Overwatch two characters are Gay, Tracer and Soilder 76. This really didn’t change anything about either of the characters and the community didn’t show any negative effects on this. It was just a fact about them.

I don’t understand why people are getting so mad over this fact. It’s a fictional character. They wouldn’t love you before.


So in conclusion I’m not gonna complain if we get a bit in the lore about someone’s ex or if we get an entirely new survivor for this either way I don’t care.

Comments

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387209#Comment_1387209

    Those guys make up the majority of people. Nobody likes a stereotypical LGBT character who's defined by the fact that they're LGBT, least of all LGBT people.

    if the LGBT character is solely defined for being LGBT then the character is poorly written, speaking as someone who has written stories before I can say writing a interesting LGBT character is as easy as writing a normal character, slap the LGBT label on em, and make that fact a prominent one but not the defining one


    for example, I have a male LGBT character, he's a confident outgoing person who likes trying new things to see what sticks, he works at the brewery, his partner works at the local market, he goes on a adventure with his partner to do something far away because his dog got stolen by some guy off the street

    the defining traits to make this character interesting are motivation and personality, the fact that he's gay is one of his traits and isn't exactly subtle but that isn't what defines him, the story isn't written around the LGBT trait, it's written as a normal story with a LGBT protagonist


    TLDR: make it obvious but don't make it the defining trait

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387220#Comment_1387220

    if the LGBT character is solely defined for being LGBT then the character is poorly written, speaking as someone who has written stories before I can say writing a interesting LGBT character is as easy as writing a normal character, slap the LGBT label on em, and make that fact a prominent one but not the defining one

    for example, I have a male LGBT character, he's a confident outgoing person who likes trying new things to see what sticks, he works at the brewery, his partner works at the local market, he goes on a adventure with his partner to do something far away because his dog got stolen by some guy off the street

    the defining traits to make this character interesting are motivation and personality, the fact that he's gay is one of his traits and isn't exactly subtle but that isn't what defines him, the story isn't written around the LGBT trait, it's written as a normal story with a LGBT protagonist

    TLDR: make it obvious but don't make it the defining trait

    Yeah, that's what people mean when they say "don't make it obvious". "Making it obvious" is synonymous with "making the character a walking stereotype" for the majority of people.

  • @MongolPSR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387209#Comment_1387209

    Cool. lets see some of your writing then to see how to properly write a gay character. As a writer who is one of those "idiots" I would love to sit down with you and learn properly write about sexual orientation.

    look at the above comment, tell me what you think, don't take the comment personally as it wasn't directed at you

  • @BadDocter said:

    There is no need for sexual orientation in dbd, its a survival/action game not a story one.

    This has 40 likes.

    This ignores legion, it ignores wraith and nurse, and is basically saying this game shouldn't have ANY story.

    But of course they're not attacking the hetero couples or any of the other lore that isn't needed because horror games aren't known for that obviously, just look at the most recent chapter. And when pressed they will likely reply "i don't care about a character being gay i just don't want it in the game!" ignoring the clear contradiction.

    It is for this reason that i am once again asking for a drag queen survivor, a symbol of pride to the LGBT community (at least they're at all the parades) and more importantly i just think they're kinda cool lookin.

    Even the homophobes should get behind this because it's to make me, a straight man, happy. And at the end of the day isn't that what really matters?

  • @MongolPSR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387190#Comment_1387190

    cool, so is that fact your opener at social parties orrrrrr

    Look sexuality is a weird thing, we dont come out automatically knowing what our orientation is, hell some people don't figure out what their gender is till much later in their life let alone their orientation. This also applies to writing characters. characters change and develop beyond their original origin. that's just how writing works.

    No not really, but @Papayarng tried to paint me as being someone who doesn't like gay people (as far as I could understand it) and I wanted to correct that. If I can be gay whilst also hating gay people, I think I did a pretty good job so far.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387248#Comment_1387248

    Yeah, that's what people mean when they say "don't make it obvious". "Making it obvious" is synonymous with "making the character a walking stereotype" for the majority of people.

    unfortunately

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387207#Comment_1387207

    No not really, but you tried to paint me as being someone who doesn't like gay people (as far as I could understand it) and I wanted to correct that. If I can be gay whilst also hating gay people, I think I did a pretty good job so far.

    lol, my reply was my very first comment to you, should pay attention to names.

  • @MongoKiller yeah I've made this mistake 3 times today I really should lol.

    Apparently quotes don't work anymore (or it's cause you deleted the comment that would also work); I'll go edit my comment lmfao. I apologise.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    @MongoKiller yeah I've made this mistake 3 times today I really should lol.

    Apparently quotes don't work anymore; I'll go edit my comment lmfao.

    its cool my posts keep on getting removed if I edit them. they keep saying my post is pending approval.

  • @MongolPSR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387276#Comment_1387276

    its cool my posts keep on getting removed if I edit them. they keep saying my post is pending approval.

    Feelsbad, but yeah sorry for getting you confused.

    My point still stands tho, not my opening at a party since I've never been invited :p

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387280#Comment_1387280

    Feelsbad, but yeah sorry for getting you confused.

    My point still stands tho, not my opening at a party since I've never been invited :p

    never been invited to a party either

    the benefits of being a social outcast XD

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387282#Comment_1387282

    never been invited to a party either

    the benefits of being a social outcast XD

    Ikr, that and not like alcohol makes you a prime target to never be invited

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387293#Comment_1387293

    Ikr, that and not like alcohol makes you a prime target to never be invited

    never been a fan of alcohol, doesn't taste very good

  • Lol I know it ain't all its cranked up to be

  • @DeadArsenal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349047#Comment_1349047

    Hmm, so he is. But I have a follow up question: Why does it matter? Freddy is bisexual...but he doesn't count toward the minimum LGBT requirement because he's a pedophile? Where is this line that makes them not count? J-walking? Murder? Sexual abuse?

    Having Freddy as the only LGBT representation could lead to people thinking that BHVR compares the LGBT community to paedophiles.

  • @LethalPugy said:

    I for one would be fine with them adding in a lgbtq+ character into the game or changing the lore for someone as it hasn’t been mentioned before.

    The only romance we have is Wraith and Nurse with cosmetics that i don’t think are canon. Frank and Julie confirmed by the lore. And kinda nancy and steve that are exes.

    Honestly if a character became gay it would firstly become more diverse and have better representation, and the gaming community lacks this.

    One game that has achieved this well is Overwatch two characters are Gay, Tracer and Soilder 76. This really didn’t change anything about either of the characters and the community didn’t show any negative effects on this. It was just a fact about them.

    I don’t understand why people are getting so mad over this fact. It’s a fictional character. They wouldn’t love you before.

    So in conclusion I’m not gonna complain if we get a bit in the lore about someone’s ex or if we get an entirely new survivor for this either way I don’t care.

    *I don’t understand why people are getting so mad over this fact. It’s a fictional character. They wouldn’t love you before.*

    Exactly, they are fictional characters. Why would you care about their sexual orientation? Gay or non-gay, it just isnt important imo.

  • I just say, wat I di in another of these threads:

    I'm not against people of different sexualities. I only have some problems when putting this in games/movies etc:

    1) You can't get it right for everyone. If you add one LGBTQ character who is... let's say gay. Then there will be players wo say: "There needs to be a lesbian one now. Else you are sexist!" and so on an on. There will be always people who want their sexuality considered regardless if there are only 10 people with this or not.

    2) If it is done bad, it get's annoying. Think of "The Last of Us 2". Sadly this is often the case, because it "needs" to be in this game/movie.

    3) Sadly: The more LGBTQ people are "demanding" to be considered everywhere, the more other people get annoyed and won't listen anymore. And you clearly do not want this.


    I would be completely fine with 1-2 killers and 1-2 survivors who are LGBTQ, but not more. Else it would be too much.

    Or leave it as it is now: if you imagine character X is gay, than be it like that for you. This would be best for everyone. No one gets offended or forgotten.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    I just say, wat I di in another of these threads:

    I'm not against people of different sexualities. I only have some problems when putting this in games/movies etc:

    1) You can't get it right for everyone. If you add one LGBTQ character who is... let's say gay. Then there will be players wo say: "There needs to be a lesbian one now. Else you are sexist!" and so on an on. There will be always people who want their sexuality considered regardless if there are only 10 people with this or not.

    2) If it is done bad, it get's annoying. Think of "The Last of Us 2". Sadly this is often the case, because it "needs" to be in this game/movie.

    3) Sadly: The more LGBTQ people are "demanding" to be considered everywhere, the more other people get annoyed and won't listen anymore. And you clearly do not want this.

    I would be completely fine with 1-2 killers and 1-2 survivors who are LGBTQ, but not more. Else it would be too much.

    Or leave it as it is now: if you imagine character X is gay, than be it like that for you. This would be best for everyone. No one gets offended or forgotten.

    3) Nobody demanded anything, the devs did this of their own free will. However, for the record, these are the same arguments given to every disenfranchised group in history. Women didn't get to vote because they kept quiet and tried not to annoy people.

    I would be completely fine with 1-2 killers and 1-2 survivors who are LGBTQ, but not more. Else it would be too much.

    Why? Does there need to be a specific quota?

    Or leave it as it is now: if you imagine character X is gay, than be it like that for you. This would be best for everyone. No one gets offended or forgotten.

    "As it is now" is heterosexuals get representation, everyone else gets shafted. That's why the devs said they would no longer restrict themselves when it came to adding relationships.

  • Why has this thread been brought back alive?

  • @LethalPugy said:

    Why has this thread been brought back alive?

    [shrug]

    I'm as surprised as you, I thought this had all died down with the complaints about PH and the anniversary event.

  • @LethalPugy said:

    Why has this thread been brought back alive?

    *big shrug* glad its not my thread cause that one got mean.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387414#Comment_1387414

    3) Nobody demanded anything, the devs did this of their own free will. However, for the record, these are the same arguments given to every disenfranchised group in history. Women didn't get to vote because they kept quiet and tried not to annoy people.

    I would be completely fine with 1-2 killers and 1-2 survivors who are LGBTQ, but not more. Else it would be too much.

    Why? Does there need to be a specific quota?

    Or leave it as it is now: if you imagine character X is gay, than be it like that for you. This would be best for everyone. No one gets offended or forgotten.

    "As it is now" is heterosexuals get representation, everyone else gets shafted. That's why the devs said they would no longer restrict themselves when it came to adding relationships.

    There are some extremist who want to be considered at all cost. These annoy me. They are like the vegans who want to want to be like them,by telling me that I'm a murderer. Such people do more bad than good. And sadly they are the loudest.

    There doesn't need to be a quota. But suddenly having many LGBT people everywhere only to appease is quite unrealistic. I can understand you want to be considered. I'm not asking you to "be quiet" or similar. Just.... try to see that some people really get annoyed when getting spammed with other people's needs.


    What is your problem with characters not having a specified sexuality? For me Ace is gay. Period. Is is not written in his bio. For others he is hereo or bi or Trans. It doesn't matter.

    Not to define the sexuality of characters is the best option, in my opinion. No one is insulted or forgotten because their gender/sexuality isn't included.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387473#Comment_1387473

    There are some extremist who want to be considered at all cost. These annoy me. They are like the vegans who want to want to be like them,by telling me that I'm a murderer. Such people do more bad than good. And sadly they are the loudest.

    There doesn't need to be a quota. But suddenly having many LGBT people everywhere only to appease is quite unrealistic. I can understand you want to be considered. I'm not asking you to "be quiet" or similar. Just.... try to see that some people really get annoyed when getting spammed with other people's needs.

    What is your problem with characters not having a specified sexuality? For me Ace is gay. Period. Is is not written in his bio. For others he is hereo or bi or Trans. It doesn't matter.

    Not to define the sexuality of characters is the best option, in my opinion. No one is insulted or forgotten because their gender/sexuality isn't included.

    not mentioning any sexuality or relationships would have been okay and was actually what they said they wanted to do. but they did mention hetero relationships. So now they made a little tweet saying they see their mistake and will act accordingly: not exclude LGBT+ relations/themes.

    thats pretty much it. No one should have a problem with that. They didn’t say they will make a new symbol next to every characters name that states their sexuality. No one here demanded that every chars sexuality has to be revealed.

  • @BadDocter said:

    There is no need for sexual orientation in dbd, its a survival/action game not a story one.

    There is a need. Maybe not lore wise, but appearance wise, I'd prefer it. I'm a gay male and would like to play a survivor that I can resonant with more. For now, I'm playing girls because they speak to my soul. But if a visible gay male survivor appeared, I'd be on that.

  • imagine needing outside influence to look forward to that you need it in a SURVIVAL HORROR game that's built around MAXIMUM PHYSICAL PAIN.


    Not sure if OP is metal af or just giant sad. As an open gay myself I'm fine with it how it is tbh.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    imagine needing outside influence to look forward to that you need it in a SURVIVAL HORROR game that's built around MAXIMUM PHYSICAL PAIN.

    Not sure if OP is metal af or just giant sad. As an open gay myself I'm fine with it how it is tbh.

    My dyslexia has once again beaten me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1386741#Comment_1386741

    In a game where nobodys orientation, gender, or usually age is even mentioned.

    See, that's where you're wrong. If you'd read the lore, you would've seen that many characters have had their orientation confirmed, but they were all heterosexual.

    Except when the devs came out and said their sexualities dont matter?

  • @LethalPugy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387808#Comment_1387808

    My dyslexia has once again beaten me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

    that I am personally confused on if you are brutal as Slayer tries to be or if you're just a giant depresso espresso based off needing confirmation so strongly that you want it from a video game that centers it's main focus around the second most negative aspect you can possibly be in.

  • @Carpemortum said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387010#Comment_1387010

    Except when the devs came out and said their sexualities dont matter?

    Ok?

    The fact that it is written in the lore that there are heterosexual characters makes them saying

    1) Their sexuality doesn't matter

    AND

    2) They are what ever you want them to be

    pointless because it obviously matters enough for these straight characters to have their sexuality be confirmed and used to deepen their character and define them in some way.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387817#Comment_1387817

    that I am personally confused on if you are brutal as Slayer tries to be or if you're just a giant depresso espresso based off needing confirmation so strongly that you want it from a video game that centers it's main focus around the second most negative aspect you can possibly be in.

    Sorry you feel threatened by our existence.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1387473#Comment_1387473

    There are some extremist who want to be considered at all cost. These annoy me. They are like the vegans who want to want to be like them,by telling me that I'm a murderer. Such people do more bad than good. And sadly they are the loudest.

    There doesn't need to be a quota. But suddenly having many LGBT people everywhere only to appease is quite unrealistic. I can understand you want to be considered. I'm not asking you to "be quiet" or similar. Just.... try to see that some people really get annoyed when getting spammed with other people's needs.

    What is your problem with characters not having a specified sexuality? For me Ace is gay. Period. Is is not written in his bio. For others he is hereo or bi or Trans. It doesn't matter.

    Not to define the sexuality of characters is the best option, in my opinion. No one is insulted or forgotten because their gender/sexuality isn't included.

    The point is a lot of his cosmetics outrights state that he's into women


    This is the problem a lot of us have despite promising that sexuality was going to be left up to the player they have implied that several characters were heterosexual.

    They made a statement apologizing for this and said they'll make an effort to be more inclusive and actually identify some LGBT characters.

    Whether this statement was just to pander on not they at least acknowledged a problem I'm not a naive little kid so I can at least understand this some financial intent behind it.


    Where was this complaint about how it doesn't belong when they mentioned David being straight where was best complaints about how it should be up to the players when they they made Frank and Julie straight.

    Why is it only when someone wants representation in the LGBT community that it shouldn't be long and it's forced

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347356#Comment_1347356

    That's the right way to go about it. There's no such thing as "hints" that someone is gay. LGBT people are just people, they come in all shapes and sizes.

    While it’s true people come in all shapes and sizes, dress and mannerisms are very good indicators (hint).

    Mannerisms aren’t really programmed into the characters besides how they stand (David clenches his fist like a tough macho guy when he’s walking, for example) so that would be hard to show.

    How they dress would be a really obvious way to demonstrate an orientation, should BHVR decide they want a new character or cosmetic to “stand out”. For example, a combination of painted nails, tight pants, earrings etc. would be one way. Again, I’m not saying all gay men dress or act flamboyantly but there are definitely “gay looks”.

  • I am openly gay. Sorry that questioning your need for attention is uncomfortable.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349857#Comment_1349857

    Having Freddy as the only LGBT representation could lead to people thinking that BHVR compares the LGBT community to paedophiles.

    freddy is a pedophile, how the hell is that part of the LGBT community?

  • Okay ######### is this about and why the (BAD WORD) is this being talked about!? God whats the big deal?

1 2 3 4 ›