The Archive's TOME is FRUSTRATING and UNFUN

Honestly, I found Tome I to be a lot more fun than this one.


It has taken me 4 games so far and only managed to get 6/15 Unhooks

It took me 3 games to try and get the Dark Sense challenge

Took me 5 games to get 20 emblems of gold or more.

It was mainly due to going with and against smart and senseful survivors, that aren't potato.


I played about 2-4 games per hour.


How the actual heck is this meant for your average gamer? It took me 3 hours to do 3 challenges and it was darn unfun. I don't expect to complete this within a day or even 2, but 3 hours for that long? It wasn't even because they're hard, they're just too grindy, and long, and it's irriating having to compete with other survivors for these objectives


@Peanits This isn't really "average gamer" friendly and quite frankly a little frustrating with how too grindy it is.


You guys should really listen to your community. Hirez is a perfect example of understanding players are not happy with super-grindy passes and should act immediately on that dissatisfaction

185 votes and 259 comments so far on Reddit


Comments

  • I've been getting less than one thrown pallet per game. It will literally take 25-30 games for me to get that one challenge done at this rate. FUN FUN FUN.

  • The challenges are optional. I dont say there shouldnt be any killer ones as I dont play killer, I get that some players play both or indeed only play killer.

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    I've been getting less than one thrown pallet per game. It will literally take 25-30 games for me to get that one challenge done at this rate. FUN FUN FUN.

    You actually can just be an ass and run through all the pallets even tho you might be a good looper.


    That is why I dont like some of the challenges. It forces you to play bad.

  • @Kralle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833661#Comment_833661

    You actually can just be an ass and run through all the pallets even tho you might be a good looper.

    That is why I dont like some of the challenges. It forces you to play bad.

    Well you have to be in chase for this particular pallet challenge and yeah, I thought about being a bit wasteful with the pallets but figured others would be doing the same so I tried to just play as I always do. But I 100% agree with you that some of the challenges force you to play poorly. And it caused me physical pain to run Self Care today to get that challenge done. I hate that perk.

  • My favourite one so far is "get 200,000 bloodpoints."

    Well, I started at 0 and I'm nearing 600k bloodpoints now, and it's on 150,000.

    Fun.

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833929#Comment_833929

    Well you have to be in chase for this particular pallet challenge and yeah, I thought about being a bit wasteful with the pallets but figured others would be doing the same so I tried to just play as I always do. But I 100% agree with you that some of the challenges force you to play poorly. And it caused me physical pain to run Self Care today to get that challenge done. I hate that perk.

    I'm on the pallet one, had 5 games and threw down 2 pallets. This is mostly because my chases happen in areas where the pallets are already gone, I get instadowned, I get downed before I reach the pallet, or I don't get chased at all. Also when I told everyone in chat I was doing the Self-Care thing I am pretty sure I get yelled at in Spanish but I can't read Spanish; I don't like that perk either.

  • For my opinion the challanges are not that bad, bad it is funny how you need almost more of the double time to complete a normal challange than a big challange. Overall they should increase the rewards alot better. More bloodpoints to make it actually worth to do them and maybe you get some shards aswell. If they think they are mainly for the rift not to farm bloodpoints etc then just decrease the rift shards abit to balance that out or something.

  • Just gonna say I hope these guys enthusiasm wasn't missed placed.... I played as Freddie with dream pallets and oh boy was the Survivors happy to see me lol

    I have no idea if it helped them any I was just doing my daily but wow they was going crazy bless lol

    🐷💖

  • There are so few Killer challenges this time and they're mostly Master Challenges which is fine as they reward more but there are only 5 Killer challenges, hooray for playing Survivor and WHY does the Killer node END with a SURVIVOR CHALLENGE?!

    I know the Challenges are meant to get progressively harder down the line but some of these are designed to be done through dozens of games or play like ######### to get them done. Use 6 Med-Kits, well if you play Quentin you can start with a Med-Kit and then find a Med-Kit but then you rob everyone of Altrusim points and maybe you'll die before you can use the 2nd one.

    I am not excited for Grabbing 1 Survivor off a Gen, Grabs have been so bad because of the servers that I lose chases because it denied me the grab and they got away; I don't trust that I can get the grab even if I play Ghostface. That's another thing too, ''Grabbing'' can only be done by Licensed stealth Killers and all of those are paid DLC, that challenge requires you to spend money to complete, unless you're a damn GOD with Tinkerer or have a Coxbombed Clapper on Wraith.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    My favourite one so far is "get 200,000 bloodpoints."

    Well, I started at 0 and I'm nearing 600k bloodpoints now, and it's on 150,000.

    Fun.

    Yeah bp offerings dont count towards the challenge, sadly

  • @HatCreature said:

    There are so few Killer challenges this time and they're mostly Master Challenges which is fine as they reward more but there are only 5 Killer challenges, hooray for playing Survivor and WHY does the Killer node END with a SURVIVOR CHALLENGE?!

    I know the Challenges are meant to get progressively harder down the line but some of these are designed to be done through dozens of games or play like ######### to get them done. Use 6 Med-Kits, well if you play Quentin you can start with a Med-Kit and then find a Med-Kit but then you rob everyone of Altrusim points and maybe you'll die before you can use the 2nd one.

    I am not excited for Grabbing 1 Survivor off a Gen, Grabs have been so bad because of the servers that I lose chases because it denied me the grab and they got away; I don't trust that I can get the grab even if I play Ghostface. That's another thing too, ''Grabbing'' can only be done by Licensed stealth Killers and all of those are paid DLC, that challenge requires you to spend money to complete, unless you're a damn GOD with Tinkerer or have a Coxbombed Clapper on Wraith.

    Just as a tip, if you have him, I did the gengrab challenge pretty easily with Myers on The Game.

  • @Bjario said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833946#Comment_833946

    Yeah bp offerings dont count towards the challenge, sadly

    Neither do BP-boosting perks, or anything that awards BP post-game. It only counts the raw amount you earn during the trial.

  • Something I haven't seen many people mention is the fact that these challenges are much harder but give the same amount of fragments as the previous ones. They give more BP but the fragments are the same, 3 and 5 based on whether it's a "master challenge" or not. I think it should be like 3-5 for the first set (like it is now), then 3-5 with more 5 in the second set, 5-7 in the third set, and 5-7 with more 7 in the fourth set. And completing a set should be 10, 15, 20, 25 fragments respectively instead of 10 each. I think that would make things a bit more fair considering the difficulty of some of these challenges and the time and effort it would take to complete all of them.

  • You guys have over 2 weeks to complete each tome. The challenges are harder then last tome, and i like that. I would be dissapointed if every challenge was like "open 2 chests" or "kick the same generator twice". Im glad, that challenges are getting harder and harder.

  • I swear, I have NEVER seen a gaming community that whiny like the DBD Community. Maybe the Devs should remove the Rift and Archives alltogether, because apparently DBD players just want to have their standard games all the time without any variation what you can do or achieve.

    First of all, you dont need to do ANY of the Archive Challenges. If you think they are unfun - ignore them. Then you also dont need to cry about them.

    Second, they are not meant to be done in one game (or in the first game you play with this challenges active). I mean, what do you expect how many games you will need to get 20 Gold Emblems? With 4 Emblems per game? 20:4=5. This is the minimum, you got the MInimum. Cool.

    15 Unhooks will come eventually. You can ######### over games to get those done, but you have time. If they would be done so fast, it would be like the Level 1-Challenges: You finish them in a few hours and then you are left with 12 days of waiting. The Level 2-Challenges are all reasonable and not really difficult.

    So, just play, ffs. Dont care that much about the challenges, two weeks until the next Level opens, around 50 days until the Rift closes. More than enough time to make it enjoyable instead of sweating and thinking this has to be done ASAP.

  • The pallet one is going to take me forever because I try not to waste much pallets during a chase. :(

    Still, something to work towards to.

  • It is a load of cack.

    Best thing to do is concentrate on the challenge objectives and equip appropriate perks to aid in their completion.

  • The worst part about this is lore is locked behind these hard challenges. And quite frankly i just hate challenges you have to do in a single trial, just unfun, stressing, and people end up just wanting to do their challenges and don't play fair anymore.

    However, it feels GREAT when you finish one challenge and get all these bloodpoints and the lore!

    EDIT: besides from this criticism, i love the idea of the Archives and the Rift, it's kind of a " Campaign ", in a way, but too flawed.

  • I like the challenges. The master ones of course need you to play with something in mind, but the regular ones are something you can just ignore and they'll pile up as you play regularly. No need to hard focus on something that accrues across games

  • Why do people find things frustrating and unfun when they actually have to work for it and they can't just blow through it in 5 hours?

    If it was easier/faster people would be complaining it isn't challenging enough/we wait too long for the new Achive for how long it lasts.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    Why do people find things frustrating and unfun when they actually have to work for it and they can't just blow through it in 5 hours?

    If it was easier/faster people would be complaining it isn't challenging enough/we wait too long for the new Achive for how long it lasts.

    "If it was easier/faster people would be complaining it isn't challenging enough/we wait too long for the new Achive for how long it lasts."

    Exactly this is what happened with Level 1 of the Tome...

  • @HatCreature said:

    There are so few Killer challenges this time and they're mostly Master Challenges which is fine as they reward more but there are only 5 Killer challenges, hooray for playing Survivor and WHY does the Killer node END with a SURVIVOR CHALLENGE?!

    I know the Challenges are meant to get progressively harder down the line but some of these are designed to be done through dozens of games or play like ######### to get them done. Use 6 Med-Kits, well if you play Quentin you can start with a Med-Kit and then find a Med-Kit but then you rob everyone of Altrusim points and maybe you'll die before you can use the 2nd one.

    I am not excited for Grabbing 1 Survivor off a Gen, Grabs have been so bad because of the servers that I lose chases because it denied me the grab and they got away; I don't trust that I can get the grab even if I play Ghostface. That's another thing too, ''Grabbing'' can only be done by Licensed stealth Killers and all of those are paid DLC, that challenge requires you to spend money to complete, unless you're a damn GOD with Tinkerer or have a Coxbombed Clapper on Wraith.

    As for this you can use tinkerer and mint rag. (And sorry in advance if you haven't bought hag but shes fee on console)

    @StardustSpeedway said:

    The pallet one is going to take me forever because I try not to waste much pallets during a chase. :(

    Still, something to work towards to.

    Mount Ormond could work on that paired with Windows of opportunity or maybe hawkins lab/ Badham.

  • @Bjario said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833946#Comment_833946

    Yeah bp offerings dont count towards the challenge, sadly

    WHICH IS DUMB! (Ahem) sorry. I'll just be over here now.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    Why do people find things frustrating and unfun when they actually have to work for it and they can't just blow through it in 5 hours?

    If it was easier/faster people would be complaining it isn't challenging enough/we wait too long for the new Achive for how long it lasts.

    There is a huge difference between rising to a challenge and roadblocking your progress. People do not mind a challenge - that’s why Bloodborne and Dark Souls is so popular. What people DON’T like is when something is so difficult, it either requires the blessing of RNGesus or so much time, stress, and energy that it literally sucks the fun right out of it. This is why people HATE the Wolfenstein Mein Leben trophy.

    These so called challenges after the first level are categorically part of the latter. It’s a blatant swipe at your wallet.

  • This is what happens when everyone blows through the first level in a weekend and then complained that they had nothing to do. Now they made level 2 so you actually have to work for it and people complain about that. Is this community ever happy about anything???

  • @kcwolf1975 said:

    This is what happens when everyone blows through the first level in a weekend and then complained that they had nothing to do. Now they made level 2 so you actually have to work for it and people complain about that. Is this community ever happy about anything???

    Well sure. Give us challenges where we are not be forced to play bad.

  • Well, I take my previous comment back. I'm actually halfway done with tome 2. I managed to get the dark sense challenge done on my first try. Bond + a tool box is a must.

  • The challenges are to try and make you do something you normally would do. Also you know what would be more unfun? Get 6 unhooks in a single match must be done safely. So it tries to spice up your experience by making you unhook even though at some points you normally wouldnt

  • @HatCreature said:

    There are so few Killer challenges this time and they're mostly Master Challenges which is fine as they reward more but there are only 5 Killer challenges, hooray for playing Survivor and WHY does the Killer node END with a SURVIVOR CHALLENGE?!

    I know the Challenges are meant to get progressively harder down the line but some of these are designed to be done through dozens of games or play like ######### to get them done. Use 6 Med-Kits, well if you play Quentin you can start with a Med-Kit and then find a Med-Kit but then you rob everyone of Altrusim points and maybe you'll die before you can use the 2nd one.

    I am not excited for Grabbing 1 Survivor off a Gen, Grabs have been so bad because of the servers that I lose chases because it denied me the grab and they got away; I don't trust that I can get the grab even if I play Ghostface. That's another thing too, ''Grabbing'' can only be done by Licensed stealth Killers and all of those are paid DLC, that challenge requires you to spend money to complete, unless you're a damn GOD with Tinkerer or have a Coxbombed Clapper on Wraith.

    uhm Spirit is kind of okay at gen grabs

  • When the fun stops. Stop.


    On another note, the tomes do not have to be played, it's optional you don't have to do it.

  • @Kralle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834135#Comment_834135

    Well sure. Give us challenges where we are not be forced to play bad.

    I also don't like the challenges that force you to play bad, but that is only the case for a few of them. Like the dropping 15 pallets in a chase, that is bad if someone is trying to blow through the challenge, but it can be done through normal gameplay. I haven't seen all of the new challenges yet, but in level one searching 3 chests in a match was pretty pointless.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    I swear, I have NEVER seen a gaming community that whiny like the DBD Community. Maybe the Devs should remove the Rift and Archives alltogether, because apparently DBD players just want to have their standard games all the time without any variation what you can do or achieve.

    First of all, you dont need to do ANY of the Archive Challenges. If you think they are unfun - ignore them. Then you also dont need to cry about them.

    Second, they are not meant to be done in one game (or in the first game you play with this challenges active). I mean, what do you expect how many games you will need to get 20 Gold Emblems? With 4 Emblems per game? 20:4=5. This is the minimum, you got the MInimum. Cool.

    15 Unhooks will come eventually. You can ######### over games to get those done, but you have time. If they would be done so fast, it would be like the Level 1-Challenges: You finish them in a few hours and then you are left with 12 days of waiting. The Level 2-Challenges are all reasonable and not really difficult.

    So, just play, ffs. Dont care that much about the challenges, two weeks until the next Level opens, around 50 days until the Rift closes. More than enough time to make it enjoyable instead of sweating and thinking this has to be done ASAP.

    And yet they make challenges that require them to be done in one game they make challenges that for the sake of speed promote bad gameplay doesn't matter if it's optional they know the entire player base is going to at least try to do them as it gives free stuff making challenges that are insanely rng is only there to increase play time as well as promoted playing in a way that can ruin matches which there's already plenty of people that play like that

  • @Kralle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834135#Comment_834135

    Well sure. Give us challenges where we are not be forced to play bad.

    The only challenge where you have to take questionable decisions is the self care one, but it is bugged and you just need to heal yourself once, even with a medkit, so that’s fine.

    all the other challenges are perfectly fine - in fact you’ll finish them with no sweat if you play well. If you want to rush them, the problem is you, not the challenges.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    Why do people find things frustrating and unfun when they actually have to work for it and they can't just blow through it in 5 hours?

    If it was easier/faster people would be complaining it isn't challenging enough/we wait too long for the new Achive for how long it lasts.

    Why can’t everyone see this? It isn’t meant to be done in a day!

    Like people complaining about the pallet one, okay you don’t have to drop every pallet on the map and do a 5 gen chase in one game. Just play normally and eventually it’ll be done just by playing normally.

    Same with the medkit, I mean yes you have to bring or find a medkit but it’ll happen. People are bringing medkit a with plunder and pharmacy to try to go through 3-4 medkit a per game... why? Just play.

  • @Rikashi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833993#Comment_833993

    And yet they make challenges that require them to be done in one game they make challenges that for the sake of speed promote bad gameplay doesn't matter if it's optional they know the entire player base is going to at least try to do them as it gives free stuff making challenges that are insanely rng is only there to increase play time as well as promoted playing in a way that can ruin matches which there's already plenty of people that play like that

    Thats why I wrote "first game".

    And many of them are doable by just playing normally. Like dropping 15 Pallets, took me a few games, but I just played and got the Challenge. Nobody has to run around and waste Pallets, just fking play the game and you get those Challenges which can be done in multiple games.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834180#Comment_834180

    Thats why I wrote "first game".

    And many of them are doable by just playing normally. Like dropping 15 Pallets, took me a few games, but I just played and got the Challenge. Nobody has to run around and waste Pallets, just fking play the game and you get those Challenges which can be done in multiple games.

    Uhm, if he doesn’t run around and drop 15 pallets in one game how can he finish the tier in one day? And then complain about waiting two weeks for tier 3 lol

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834180#Comment_834180

    Thats why I wrote "first game".

    And many of them are doable by just playing normally. Like dropping 15 Pallets, took me a few games, but I just played and got the Challenge. Nobody has to run around and waste Pallets, just fking play the game and you get those Challenges which can be done in multiple games.

    Do pallet stuns not count for this challenge? I keep track of the number of pallets I drop and always get less counted. My last game I only got 2 stuns and the counter didn't go up at all. I didn't want to start a whole new discussion for this one question, so thanks to anyone who answers. I play on xbox btw if that matters.

  • @StevePerryPsychOut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834204#Comment_834204

    Do pallet stuns not count for this challenge? I keep track of the number of pallets I drop and always get less counted. My last game I only got 2 stuns and the counter didn't go up at all. I didn't want to start a whole new discussion for this one question, so thanks to anyone who answers. I play on xbox btw if that matters.

    Since there is a separate challenge for stuns I wouldn’t be shocked.

    Dropping a pallet during chase gives a score event now, I would suggest checking next time you stun a killer if you get the stun score AND the drop or just one.

  • @StevePerryPsychOut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834204#Comment_834204

    Do pallet stuns not count for this challenge? I keep track of the number of pallets I drop and always get less counted. My last game I only got 2 stuns and the counter didn't go up at all. I didn't want to start a whole new discussion for this one question, so thanks to anyone who answers. I play on xbox btw if that matters.

    From my experience, they count.

    Maybe you were not in a chase somehow?

  • @Mushwin said:

    When the fun stops. Stop.

    On another note, the tomes do not have to be played, it's optional you don't have to do it.

    They're mandatory if you want a chance at completing the Rift.

  • @ChiTenshi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834165#Comment_834165

    They're mandatory if you want a chance at completing the Rift.

    I thought you could grind the Rift just by playing, you earn shards by earning experience.

    Also, completing the rift is only for cosmetics

  • @ChiTenshi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834165#Comment_834165

    They're mandatory if you want a chance at completing the Rift.

    Rift is optional too

  • playing the game at all is optional.

    doesn't mean people don't want it to be fair and balanced.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834240#Comment_834240

    I thought you could grind the Rift just by playing, you earn shards by earning experience.

    Also, completing the rift is only for cosmetics

    Someone has done the math (I will find it later) but I believe the calculation came to burning 4+ hours a day, everyday, to complete the Rift without the Tome.

  • That doesn't justify an unfair/extremely grindy experience for those who paid then find out later the challenges start to become practically impossible.

  • It's almost like the devs don't want you to complain because you finished it in a day and now you have to wait two weeks.

  • @ChiTenshi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834260#Comment_834260

    That doesn't justify an unfair/extremely grindy experience for those who paid then find out later the challenges start to become practically impossible.

    You shouldn't have paid for the pass up front, you could have waited to see how everything worked and then paid if you thought it was worth it in the end. I am waiting to see how far I get on the rift and then I will decide if I went to spend $10.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    I swear, I have NEVER seen a gaming community that whiny like the DBD Community. Maybe the Devs should remove the Rift and Archives alltogether, because apparently DBD players just want to have their standard games all the time without any variation what you can do or achieve.

    First of all, you dont need to do ANY of the Archive Challenges. If you think they are unfun - ignore them. Then you also dont need to cry about them.

    Second, they are not meant to be done in one game (or in the first game you play with this challenges active). I mean, what do you expect how many games you will need to get 20 Gold Emblems? With 4 Emblems per game? 20:4=5. This is the minimum, you got the MInimum. Cool.

    15 Unhooks will come eventually. You can ######### over games to get those done, but you have time. If they would be done so fast, it would be like the Level 1-Challenges: You finish them in a few hours and then you are left with 12 days of waiting. The Level 2-Challenges are all reasonable and not really difficult.

    So, just play, ffs. Dont care that much about the challenges, two weeks until the next Level opens, around 50 days until the Rift closes. More than enough time to make it enjoyable instead of sweating and thinking this has to be done ASAP.

    Oh... have you never been a part of the smash community? Or sonic? Or undertale? Or pokemon (at least currently) ?

  • @kcwolf1975 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834294#Comment_834294

    You shouldn't have paid for the pass up front, you could have waited to see how everything worked and then paid if you thought it was worth it in the end. I am waiting to see how far I get on the rift and then I will decide if I went to spend $10.

    So what you're essentially saying is don't trust BHVR on surprises? Gotcha

  • @ChiTenshi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/834322#Comment_834322

    So what you're essentially saying is don't trust BHVR on surprises? Gotcha

    That goes with any company, wait and make informed decisions before blindly paying for something.

‹ 1 2 3