What the hell happened to spirit?

Not gameplay-wise, but community wise

Spirit used to be one of the most beloved killers in the game, why does so many people all of a sudden start asking to get her nerfed to the ground?

The only "problem" i find she has is that filthy prayer beads add-on which is extremely annoying to go against, but otherwise she seems like a pretty balance high skill killer.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • They got the devs to consider nerfing the top killer, time to aim for the next candidate.

  • Personally I find the spirit has very little counterplay, with most of it being “let me guess where she is”.

    My biggest complaint about her isn’t even Prayer Beads, it’s how easy it is to find survivors using their grunts and sounds considering her weakness is suppose to be that she can’t see them.

  • Spirit is strong overall and people don't like to go against strong killers, mostly. For me, I just don't like Prayer beads, because there is no way to actually counter it and it makes even trying to fix a gen a nightmare, because she can just appear out of nowhere and grab you. Besides that, we just need to get better at dealing with her mind games.

  • The thing is that people complained that the nurse was OP and that they should nerf it, and lately behaviour nerf the nurse, and they thought, we are going to complain now about the spirit so that they also nerf her.

    And this is how this forum goes.

    :3

    PD: sorry about my english

  • Maybe because it was funny in the beginning, but after the nth time she grabbed a survivor from a gen out of the blue or she stood still at a pallet doing nothing and got a free hit people get tired of those uninteractive mechanics.

  • I only want prayer beads to be nerfed, like you said

  • I dunno, Spirit and PB are completely fine. People just don't want to use counterplay I guess and just wanna loop?

  • Lol you can get a 4K with any killer as long as you’re good. You don’t need to play as the most overpowered killer in the game cause one group outplayed you

  • From what ive noticed it's a select few whom want her nerfed...

  • Prayer Beads is fine (ultra rare)... Speed add-ons + prayer beads is not fine... speed add-ons in general are not okay... -> nerf the speed add-ons imo.

  • I still love my babe, no matter how mean survivors are to her

  • @pAncrop900 said:

    She is pretty strong by default, but she has no animation for vaulting... An unnecessary feature for such a good killer.

    Plus that prayer beads add-on,well it is just broke af. I'm ok with spirit=mindgames but people need to hear when she's phasing, or we have no way to counter her

    Yes. This.

  • Spirit is probably the most controversial topic at hand. I personally don't think she's as crazy as people are making her out to be? I can regularly 4K with her at rank 1 but that's more so to do with solo queue. I do believe the issue is counterplay? I don't think perks should count as it though. Maybe remove collision and give her vault an animation? Or make it more apparent when she's phasing. And nerf prayerbeads.

  • @ArrowTheGreat11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/730862#Comment_730862

    Lol you can get a 4K with any killer as long as you’re good. You don’t need to play as the most overpowered killer in the game cause one group outplayed you

    I see you utterly missed the point. Go watch the whole video. "Depressing Clown Game." They were toxic and trying to bully him the whole time. THAT is why he said that. Not cause he didn't get anyone. Try and see the whole picture.

  • I think people just mistake "OP" for "Annoying to play against". I've made a comment on the why's and all about it on another post that I'll link here for anyone interested in reading it: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/731819#Comment_731819

    @xZeroStrike said:

    I think the general view of spirit is split into two parties: the one that thinks she's fine and the one that thinks she's not.

    I have a feeling that everyone is slightly missing the point. Spirit isn't "OP" in the sense that her power is Nurse-like. She still needs to respect boundaries such as pallets, windows and general map structures.

    The problem with Spirit is this:

    She's boring to play against, because playing against a spirit is a guessing game, not a mindgame.

    I'll try and picture this a bit more clearly:

    • Mindgame: Just like Chess
      • With Chess, both parties start on equal footing. In DbD, this is a simple pallet loop mindgame: Both parties make a move, and one party will win a move when another makes the wrong one. What differs this from a guessing game is that you can see what your opponent is doing. They just moved their Horse and my Queen is in its targetting area, better move her away. In DbD, a mindgame is similar: The killer moved left, I noticed this, I can now move the other way. But wait, I just saw that he has set up to double back all along, I change my direction and hope I can still win this.
    • Guessing game: Like Whack-A-Mole
      • You don't know where the mole is going to pop out from but you make a guess! Hit! Nice. Next one! Missed... now the mole is gone, I lost. In DbD, facing Spirit is like this, except this time the mole is trying to whack you and you need to dodge it. You've got no clue where the mole, or the Spirit, will pop out from. But the mole knows where you are. You can guess and hope the mole missed or that you dodge it succesfully, or you can get a hammer on the nose. You've got a 50/50 chance of winning this and no tactics will help you, because if you dodge left to early, the mole will just pop out on the left and hit you.

    This is honestly a stupid example but it encompasses exactly what's going on when facing a Spirit, you'll just need a tiny bit of imagination. Facing a spirit, beads or not, is a guessing game. She'll know where you are, but you don't know where she is. You can drop the pallet, but how do you know if she's not already on the same side as you? She has ways to track your every move, you don't.

    This doesn't make Spirit "broken" the same level a Nurse can be when she laughs in Blink as she teleports through the loop and gives you surgery, but it does make her incredibly annoying and frustrating to play against, as your fate is in the simple hands of a coin toss.

    Personally, I just don't enjoy playing versus a Spirit because of the reasons I mentioned in my comment. Is she OP? No, I don't think she is. Is she boring / annoying to face? Yes. Very.

  • @FireHazard said:

    New people, different takes with their experience with her I suppose. Most of what I've seen is about Prayer Beads and the concept of how hard it is to know if she's mind-gaming or not because of the passive phasing she does at loops.

    At least, that's all I've seen to why some people hate her.

    New people? I doubt that. She's hated on high ranks not on low ranks.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732191#Comment_732191

    I see you utterly missed the point. Go watch the whole video. "Depressing Clown Game." They were toxic and trying to bully him the whole time. THAT is why he said that. Not cause he didn't get anyone. Try and see the whole picture.

    So because one group was bullying means that you have to rely on being the best killer in the game to make yourself feel better? 😂😂😂😂

  • @ArrowTheGreat11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732463#Comment_732463

    So because one group was bullying means that you have to rely on being the best killer in the game to make yourself feel better? 😂😂😂😂

    Wow, you are not getting it. I hate playing Nurse and Spirit myself. I hate Nurse cause her blinks make me nauseous. I hate Spirit cause I don't find her fun. Guess who I play? LEGION. Now, that you know i don't "Play the best Killer in the game to make myself feel better" maybe you will understand. There are people, that get tired of being stomped in this unbalanced AF game. So they grab the better ones and get good at it so they dont have to deal with it.

    The point is, it shouldn't be so EASY to bully KILLERS! They are KILLERS. I don't see how you don't get, in a 1 vs. 4 game the 1 should be as strong as the 4 together. I don't see why the DEVS don't either!

  • I could be wrong, but I think new/casual players have a hard time going against her and asking for nerfs is always easier than trying to learn how to go against her. Also, a few big streamers openly hate going against her, and hive mind mentality is definitely a thing.

  • @Phox said:

    I could be wrong, but I think new/casual players have a hard time going against her and asking for nerfs is always easier than trying to learn how to go against her. Also, a few big streamers openly hate going against her, and hive mind mentality is definitely a thing.

    Very true.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732531#Comment_732531

    Wow, you are not getting it. I hate playing Nurse and Spirit myself. I hate Nurse cause her blinks make me nauseous. I hate Spirit cause I don't find her fun. Guess who I play? LEGION. Now, that you know i don't "Play the best Killer in the game to make myself feel better" maybe you will understand. There are people, that get tired of being stomped in this unbalanced AF game. So they grab the better ones and get good at it so they dont have to deal with it.

    The point is, it shouldn't be so EASY to bully KILLERS! They are KILLERS. I don't see how you don't get, in a 1 vs. 4 game the 1 should be as strong as the 4 together. I don't see why the DEVS don't either!

    Maybe against SWF it feels that way, but I main solo survivor and all my teammates are incompetent, even at red ranks.

  • @ArrowTheGreat11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732607#Comment_732607

    Maybe against SWF it feels that way, but I main solo survivor and all my teammates are incompetent, even at red ranks.

    Point number two, SWF makes everything hard to balance.

  • Because people learned more about her after playing and versing her for awhile and realised that if the spirit is decent at the game, there's no way she would lose any matches because her only "counterplay" are coin flips.

  • The Spirit is not as special as people are making her out to be. Even when she has prayer beads, you can still hear her feet stomping which reveals her position. Also, she has no immunity to Spine Chill.

    Maybe some people need to go back and try again against her?

    Lets not turn this game into a "nanny state" because that will just make the game boring..

    Greetz

  • @FireHazard said:

    New people, different takes with their experience with her I suppose. Most of what I've seen is about Prayer Beads and the concept of how hard it is to know if she's mind-gaming or not because of the passive phasing she does at loops.

    At least, that's all I've seen to why some people hate her.

    I don't hate her, I personally just find her REALLY unfun too play against. It sometimes feels like complete luck if I can get away from her.


    Plus Prayer Beads is just an OP addon, and making it Ultra Rare would not change how stupid it is. Just rework it entirely.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732625#Comment_732625

    Point number two, SWF makes everything hard to balance.

    The game is balanced around solos, not SWF. Communication is what makes the game unbalanced

  • @ArrowTheGreat11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/732626#Comment_732626

    The game is balanced around solos, not SWF. Communication is what makes the game unbalanced

    So you agree! Cool.

  • @dont_ask_me_again said:

    Prayer Beads is fine (ultra rare)... Speed add-ons + prayer beads is not fine... speed add-ons in general are not okay... -> nerf the speed add-ons imo.

    Prayer beads is not ultra rare, is just rare. And it is pretty easy to find in bloodweb

  • Why does a Spirit who is phase walking have collision? She's a ~spirit~ she should go through you...

    She already has breathing, injured sounds, grass sounds, scratch marks, and depending on addons bloodstains. She does not need collision while using her power. It's supposed to be a 'mindgame', right?

  • @underlord99 said:

    I dont understand why we cant hear her phasing when youre in her terror radius .

    I had a bug yesterday where I could hear her phasing even in her tr (every time she phased the tr suddendly stopped and you could hear her sound effect), im not sure if everyone on the match had the same bug, but needless to say, that spirit got absolutely destroyed.

    Everytime we were on a pallet and I heared her phasing I instantly moved walking, she never got one hit.

    Now imagine if this was on her base kit, she would drop a good 7 spots on the tier list

1 2 ›