One Last Thread: The End of the DBD Forums
Greetings, friends of the Fog! For the very last time here on the Forums, I hope this discussion finds you doing well.
By know I'm sure you are that the DBD Forums' days are numbered. It will remain until this year's Halloween, then it will be shut down, as per the recent announcement.
And well… it would be an understatement to say that these are terrible news. After so many years, so many discussions, so many posts, so many stories of the Fog shared, so many words said about DBD here, and it will all be gone a month from now.
It is hard to wrap my head around it, really.
I was planning to write this post only in October, but I've come to the realization that many people who saw the announcement will, understandably, not return here anymore, as there isn't really a point to do so. Therefore, I thought it was better to write this as soon as possible while people are still around.
It has been quite a journey in here these last seven years. When I joined, back in August of 2019, I did so with the intention of getting my favorite killer, the original version of Freddy Krueger, back to the game, as he had just been reworked. And while that was a failure, I am glad for every second I've spent here. I've met many good friends through this Forum, and it has been an amazing to interact with this part of the DBD community.
Obviously, not everything was perfect. It would be wrong of me to not call out the problems caused by the flawed warning system in here, and the glaring issue of countless friends who lost their accounts because of it. This particular writing has been on the wall for a while now, and I have no doubt that the unfair punishments issued to good Forum members who helped drive constructive discussions forward is one of the reasons for the declining levels of user activity here. Not to mention things such as the feeling of having your feedback never acknowledged, or incidents we witnessed over the years, such as Streetwise and others.
That being said, these Forums will be missed. I cannot claim to speak for anyone other than myself, but I am sure some people would agree that there isn't a replacement for this space the DBD community had. DBD Reddit, the Discord server, the Steam Forums. None of them are the same thing that we had here and, I dare say, all of them are much worse. Unfortunately I believe this will be the end of community engagement for many users, and if not that then overall a worse experience when doing so.
It is sad to see that this Forum will end this way. It truly is. Despite its flaws as a platform, these Forums hold a special place for me. The outstanding support I got for my Old Freddy campaign, the many friends I've met through the threads here, the fun discussions, the different perspectives… these are things that I will never forget.
For those that I'll still be in contact with, I look forward for everything that is to come. And if there is anyone with whom this won't be possible, know that it has been a pleasure to be here and discuss everything Dead by Daylight with you.
So, for one last time, this thread is signed by GeneralV, your friend.
Comments
I'm going to miss a lot of y'all. Y'all made the forum so much better.
A lot of iconic and well known members here I loved talking with. I have known a lot of y'all a while going back years. I have seen many well known people go.
I love y'all
My sentiments exactly. I too have enjoyed discussing the game and reading everyone's opinions over the past 3 years that I've been here - even the ones that I vehemently disagreed with.
It was just nice to have somewhere to come and talk about this silly little horror game that had become an obsession to me. You guys don't know me from Adam and I'm just a name on a screen, but I've still felt a kind of weird kinship with everyone here over our shared love of the game. It doesn't matter that it's all coming to an end, not really. It's just a forum for a video game at the end of the day and life will go on.
But visiting the fog will feel just a little bit lonelier in the future knowing I won't have somewhere to come and shoot the breeze, share stories of the fog or discuss the latest happenings in the Entity's realm. I feel ridiculous getting a bit sentimental over this, but here we are…
To all you UK & Europe servants of the Entity, perhaps I'll see some of you in the fog one day. To everyone else, I hope you have many 5 gen chases and 4Ks ahead of you 🖖
Some part of me will always hope for Old Freddy back, knowing that you'd have a field day with it. Always a pleasure reading what you had to say General, here's hoping we face each other someday again in the Fog!
<3
It's going to be a sad month.
See you around.
see you all in the fog
Through all the wonderful conversations and ideas to some of the most stupid ideas and concepts ever had. Will miss the forums :(
Same, friend, I will miss this place.
Even though i’ve been less active on here than I was back in high school I will miss the forums as I liked to open it to see whats going on
I will still be commenting here. But I will remember you usually when facing freddy I might think it's you 😆.
Hahaha.
Well, my friend, keep your eyes open for any Freddies or Skull Merchants you run into. One of them might be me.
I feel one of the major things I'm going to miss is the recognizable faces. For example, I always know I'm in for a good post whenever I see you, Shroompy, CountOfTheFog, etc. With the movement to discord or reddit we lose a lot of the personal connection with other members, as these platforms are filled with content constantly rather than organized disscussion. To say I will not miss this forum and a majority of its members is a lie.
This place had its flaws—a lot, really, but it was still miles better than the subreddit (which, is still the most tolerable of the three), Steam award farming simulator, and oh good lord Discord combined. Looks like dedicated forums are being disbanded in favor of putting faith in other companies. A shame really.
Thanks for being one of the super mega bestest members of this forum V, frankly this place did not deserve your presence.
I only wish I became active here sooner so I could have the pleasure of getting to know more of you all better, including you General. I feel like I had just integrated with the community a month or so ago and now it's going away, it's a real shame. Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome here
I came here because I heard this place was worse than reddit due to horrible takes and agitators like @Sluzzy so I grabbed popcorn and a seat but I ended up sticking around.
when something big happens, I liked to grab a cup of Tim's while listening to Rick Astley and read what the regulars thought. I can't be around to keep up on discord and even reddit gets buried fast.
I still can't believe this place is dying JUST after the big meet up, like what's up with that?
Unbelievable to think that even these iconic discussions will be deleted, isn't it?
Ironic user activity on the forums only increased after it's getting shutdown. Where was everyone before the announcement?
Hello, friend!
Good to see you here in these sad days.
Personally, i stopped posting here because I felt like I was wasting my energy shouting into a void. Especially as a console player.
I'm still sad to see the forums close, though.
This forum has made a lot of memories for me. I’m very grateful that we got to meet on here, General, and I am happy to call you a very good friend to me.
Ah this tugs my heartstrings. You are definitely one of the most iconic members now and back when I first joined. Your love and passion for Freddy truly inspired me. To this day I can’t see Freddy and not think of you General. If I’m ever lucky enough to cross your path in the fog, know that I truly consider it an honor. 🫡
The best promotion tends to be (the threat of) killing it off.
I relate to this so hard. I came in at the start of the year, gung ho and excited about a game I'd just become passionate about, and ready to immerse myself among people equally passionate.
That passion just is not reflected in larger, third-party-run communities. Reddit is about content and engagement, Steam is a mess and Discord is not fit for purpose and really just a yelling match, only good for chatting with friends really.
I'm glad I'm getting to retain contact with some of the nice folk I've met, but I also feel there were so many more I could have met. This'll likely mark the end of any discussion of the game I have in a public setting. Instead I'll just argue with those I have in Discord (not the official one, to hell with "official" Discord channels being used to sub for community hubs/forums.)