We Need Voice Comms
Okay, so I've played within the "middle ground" in terms of the voice comm debate for a while now. But honestly, I am really starting to slip to the "YES we need them" side.
Firstly, it seems like with the new update, camping might become more and more easy and prominent (I reserve my own take because I have my reservations). Due to this, I think I've been pushed to one side (that was the lynchpin).
There is a sheer lack of communication or communication abilities between survivors. Yes we just got the UI, but that can only do so much in offering information to teammates. The keyword is "information". That, the UI offers. But, in situations where a team needs "coordination" the UI is lacking.
I see a lot of people come up with reasons to why DBD should not have voice comms, and I'm honestly finding them to be pretty null, as non are DBD-centric. A few of them include, but are not limited to:
- Language Barriers (This argument is difficult to support when nearly every other online game on the market has built in voice chat and also connects people across Europe. Also it matters when a game isn't balanced, designed or optimised for people using outside communication. In all other games this also becomes a non factor since both sides are always equal and not using said third party comms is most often a choice. Not so in asymmetrical games.)
- Opportunities for Toxicity (I do believe that if survivors in solo-q were given the tools necessary to assist their teammates, then there would be less toxicity. I really do. Yes, I know that someone might get a match with some dumb screeching kid, but my question is why shouldn't DBD specifically not have voice comms because of this factor? Personally, I feel like the idea of not introducing a voice chat because of "increased toxicity" is cope, as the game's community has already set a toxic image. How would DBD be any more toxic than other multiplayer team-based games? I know if a solo-que survivor could actually have the chance to coordinate with their teammates, then that would mean SOMETHING. They could do SOMETHING. Right now, solo-q survivors are regulated to watching their teammates make dumb decisions that are endlessly infuriating when you know what they could have done better.)
- Balancing (I can't believe people use this as a reason not to have voice comms. Obviously, killers would have to be buffed accordingly if voice comms were to be added. This is also just cope on the killer end of things.)
These are just some arguments at I find to get weaker and weaker every day every single survivor match I play (I probably play 40% killer 60% survivor at this point, used to be 10/90% like a year ago.)
I also see a lot of people say this would be too hard for BHVR, and I think that's pathetic. Yes, DBD is pumped full of spaghetti code, but BHVR has known this for AGES now and has been working to fix it more and more. Some talk about BHVR having to change the infrastructure of the game as if they had to remake it to create voice comms.
There are other ways that BHVR should allow solo-q survivors to gain info such as seeing the perk loadouts/items/addons in the lobby, but I ask again: How will this help players "coordinate"? It will help a little bit, with perks like Deliverance, the Dead Hard rework, Adrenaline, etc. But it will NEVER match the specificity of voice comms.
Just to close, obviously voice comms should not be mandated if they were added, and players should be able to turn them on and off on both sides.
I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of using the middle ground.
Voice comms would be a really tough add, and it'd take a lot of work, but personally this is one of my most wishlisted features right now. Do I think it'll happen? No, the devs and the community are too scared.
I'm out, gonna go watch my teammate get in a locker.
Edit: It's crazy to see so many survivor mains begging for BHVR to buff Solo-Q so they can have a better time balancing the game and so Solo-Q players can have a better experience actually playing the game, only to freak out when the one thing that would forever bridge the gap is suggested. A UI won't ever be precise enough. I love looking at the weird, contradictory demands of the community.
Comments
Its funny how our survivor community both wants the advantages of swf+comms in solo but without the actual comms.
Gotta have all those instaneous UI widgets instead of actively using comms. Plus swf still being able to use comms to be even more precise.
Actually…
Having a voice comm option that you can disable and have the option to mute specific players is perfect. It would ruin nothing and only enhance the game for players who want to use it.
Its so strange. I'll never understand how someone's mentality can be: "We want Solo-Q to be ask good as SWF so the game can be better balanced and so we can have a better experience! NONONONONO NOT LIKE THAT!!!"
Any notion that SWFs are ruining the game stems from how they're leagues more powerful than a solo-q teams without comms. It'd be dumb for BHVR to nerf SWFs somehow because any move to discourage people from playing together is insane. Buffing solo-q to the point where they're as powerful as an SWF can let BHVR balance the game in a better and more easy way.
Somehow, this is an easy concept so many people fail to understand.
I've said this for Splatoon and I'm saying it now.
I don't need to hear children tell me how they fornicate with my mother.
It gets old in text form, voice form would just be fresh reasons to hate playing this game.
And I don't need more of those.
No. The real reason people think they’re “ruining” the game is because they’ve forced the game to change. Significantly
You're totally forgetting how killers would and should be buffed if comms were to be added lmao.
That means slowdown perks and other killer perks and things would and should be buffed.
Why mini Kindred lmao? Do you think regular kindred is too powerful to be basekit?
You sound like an obsessed killer main who didn't read my whole post lol.
And if the game changes to better compensate for killers as a result then....?
People are constantly begging for the game to change to keep things interesting. Also, SWFs have basically been in the game since forever ago now. No much has changed. You're talking about SWFs as if they're new lol.
Mute the comms
I’m not talking about them as if they’re new. It’s pretty clear for regular forum goers that there are several players who believe the addition of swf ruined and is continuing to ruin the game. Because the concept of the game as it was released and as it was intended has been altered to the point of no longer having the same identity.
whether or not it is for the better or for the worse is an opinion.
The definition of ruin is:
so if your argument is that swf did not ruin the game then you’re inarguably wrong.
edit
and it isnt a matter of voice chat or no voice chat. It’s about the 1 of 4 mentality that comes from the core game mechanics and core design of choosing to allow players independence of others.
I don't really care either way, but if people want it then it would just be that. You can keep it on or turn it off and it would change nothing.
We already got swf who use comms third party wise anyway, which already negates the point of so many perks and the game mechanics.
It's such an easy way to make money
Just give two emote slots, make emotes buyable and equippable, done, likewise with mori animations. Let us fortnite default dance.
You're confusing something that changes how the game is played vs. something that destroys it
Changing how the game plays to a major degree IS destroying it.
there’s a reason why dos and skip bo aren’t called uno.
Doesn't rule out how it might be for the better.
I agree with this this would be good for solo q.
I disagree almost nobody would use this option it would include me it would be a waste of time also information is already in the game.
Ah yes, why didn't I think of that?
Here, let me just mute the comms reeeaaaalllll quick aaaand the killer found me.
######### cool.
thats not what you said. not what your argument was about.
making something better is not the same as not ruining it.
making something better might require that you ruin it. that you destroy it. so your argument is flawed. from the very basic core
How long does it take you to mute comms?
Not enough info to actually bridge the gap between solo and SWF
So by extension even if comms ruin the game there's a chance the game could still get better...
"making something better might require that you ruin it. that you destroy it."
I don't see how the amount of time to takes to mute someone matters.
I don't want to be called racial slurs because I'm running a perk the other person doesn't like.
You said "Here, let me just mute the comms reeeaaaalllll quick aaaand the killer found me."
I assumed you said that because you thought turning off comms would take a long time
If you could see all survivors while one is hooked it would solve 90% of problems OP is wanted fixed
Don't make me repeat myself.
Uff... no. Just no. For a lot of reasons.
Correct. But better is an opinion. So one better isn’t everyone’s better.
If I want to get a migraine listening to dogs barking, kids screaming, or an angry 3k hour+ player yell slurs I'll play F13
There’s no need in comms in DBD. It would be enough to give survivors more options how to coordinate. Like base-kit Kindred, maybe Bond but with smaller range and more emotes. The devs have already said that they are changing the mechanics of flashlight, because its mechanics have not changed since the time when there were only three killers in the game. I think it's the same with old perks. Kindred and Bond were relevant in their time, when there were few perks and there was nothing to choose from. But now there are much more perks and builds so it’s time to add old info perks to the basekit to make surviving more comfortable.
*Freezes in utter fear*
Please No, the HUD has so much information. Let me enjoy the game aesthetics and not be interrupted by varying degrees of mic quality and random voices.
For a game learning more towards the competitive side, not having a voice coms is just the DBD developers and BHVR being obstinate and ignorant.
Proximity chat would at LEAST help out a little bit, if anything to add immersion.
No it objectively doesn't
Because adding VC "so you can balance the game around it better" means buffing killers, which means you're making VC mandatory, and solos who opt out of VC are even more worse off than they currently are.
I would not be able to play survivor if this happened. I'm one of the (apparently very few) players that enjoys soloq, and there's no way in hell I'm subjecting myself to a host of children yelling slurs at me, terrible music and obnoxious sounds bombarding me as I'm straining to hear the killer.
I would be forced to mute it. This means I wouldn't be able to reap the "benefits" of VC, while killers inevitably get buffed to compensate for the VC that everyone apparently has access to now.
If you want VC, it is already available via an opt in method. Discord.
You don't seem to realise that people who enjoy solo survivor, enjoy solo survivor. If I needed or wanted to play with VC, I would find other players to SWF with. Which I have done in the past, it's not difficult.
Integrated VC is not helping solo survivors, because actual solo survivors don't want it. If you do, you're not a solo survivor, you're a lonely SWFless SWFer.
VC means making actual solo survivor worse, in order to facilitate for people who want to play SWF but just cba to organise it.
I'm just adding to the fire here I guess but uh...I'd prefer for both the sanity of the survivors as well as my own, please don't add voice coms as a permanent function. Racism, homophobia, sexism, transphobia, you name it the second those lunatics have it they will abuse the hell out of it. I would also prefer not every single game I play be populated by essentially an SWF. lack of communication is a legit form of balance in the killers favor, and it makes the experience enjoyabe, ESPECIALLY for stealth killers. Pls no
Just imagine walking up on a gen as wraith and the second the one sweat in the match sees the whisps of the invisibility, its "LEAVE YOU ######### MORON" followed by a multitude of slurs tossed at both the other survivors and the killer. Followed by the chase being a minutes worth of trash talk, plus t-bagging, plus more potential slurs...just no. No thank you. I will kindly ignore them in EGC but not during the game itself.
Anyone who has played Overwatch and been in voice chat will know that sometimes, you're just better off without it. People get titled, become toxic, throw profanity etc, so you either mute them or just leave the chat completely. If you got good enough game sense in DbD, you really don't need chat that much at all.