All winter cosmetics are leaving, really bhvr?

image-2.png

Honestly, #########. How greedy and scummy can you get?

Comments

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284865#Comment_3284865

    ya you've said that a few times, I can't help but notice you're the only one however. Care to add anything constructive to the topic?

    I am already, you just dont like it.

  • @Emeal said:

    They will be back next year.

    Judging by BHVRs recent actions they will be back next year and the ones you can buy for shards now will probably be "auric cells only" then LMAO

  • @FeelsBadMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284865#Comment_3284865

    Judging by BHVRs recent actions they will be back next year and the ones you can buy for shards now will probably be "auric cells only" then LMAO

    They know and doesn't care. They support it.

  • @FeelsBadMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284865#Comment_3284865

    Judging by BHVRs recent actions they will be back next year and the ones you can buy for shards now will probably be "auric cells only" then LMAO

    We dont know that yet.

  • Wasn't there a twitter post by BHVR saying that they'd be available now for auric cells and later for shards?

    I love how the devs are more and more asking the community about things, getting an answer, and then continuing to do a 180 on every response they've gotten lmao.


    Thanks BHVR for setting it into stone for me to never ever pay another single cent on your game! :)

  • Stuff like this feels like BHVR is trying to sabo their own product like Elon is doing to Twitter.

    They might want to go back to the drawing board on this one.

  • @Venusa said:

    I am so disappointed. I love the cosmetic side of the game and I don't care if I have to purchase auric cells or just use shards. But this type of stuff really turns me off. Why do you even have to do this? What's the point? Could you at least explain that to your consumers?

    What are you talking about other games do that with seasonal stuff all the time. It makes no sense selling a Winter Event cosmetic in the middle of summer...unless is a Christmas in July scenario.....

    But calling BHVR Scummy or accusing them of lying when so many other companies do the exact same thing some DONT EVEN BRING THEM BACK. Mandy and the game post says they will be back next year.

    Mandy gave the best information they she has a this current time.

  • @Emeal said:

    They will be back next year.

    Thats not how FOMO works. Or rather, I guess it would be more accurate to say thats how it does.

    FOMO preys on people who are vulnerable to impulse spending, using the concept of regret as kindling to get them to spend. Its a very manipulative marketing tactic that takes advantage of people who have a hard time controlling their spending/budgeting, encouraging them to make purchases (that they would otherwise be able to rationalize away from) which is why it is so often looked down upon. This is also why its such a popular tactic in various F2P games and MMOs, its both scummy and unfortunately effective, and its effect grows with investment.

    Having limited time availability followed by continuous availability is one thing, but this form of recurrent seasonal limited time availability or whatever is being done here, while also retroactively making previous permanently available items limited time only for absolutely zero logistical reason other than to force said FOMO manipulation is an extremely consumer hostile approach.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284876#Comment_3284876

    What are you talking about other games do that with seasonal stuff all the time. It makes no sense selling a Winter Event cosmetic in the middle of summer...unless is a Christmas in July scenario.....

    But calling BHVR Scummy or accusing them of lying when so many other companies do the exact same thing some DONT EVEN BRING THEM BACK. Mandy and the game post says they will be back next year.

    Mandy gave the best information they she has a this current time.

    I'm assuming you copy-pasted something to me as an answer cause the "calling BHVR scummy or accusing them of lying" part doesn't make sense as a reply to mine LOL. Not my preferred language.

    Other games doing it doesn't mean DbD is obliged to do it nor does it mean the community won't have a right to react since this hasn't been done since 2016 nor does it mean we have to wait until our favorite game becomes "scummier" than other games to have the right to react?

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284876#Comment_3284876

    What are you talking about other games do that with seasonal stuff all the time. It makes no sense selling a Winter Event cosmetic in the middle of summer...unless is a Christmas in July scenario.....

    But calling BHVR Scummy or accusing them of lying when so many other companies do the exact same thing some DONT EVEN BRING THEM BACK. Mandy and the game post says they will be back next year.

    Mandy gave the best information they she has a this current time.

    I don't even care that much about the seasonal availability; it is, as you say, pretty standard. Whatever.

    But two things bother me (based on my interpretation of what I have read):

    1. Pulling items that had been seasonal items but available year round for a long time into limited availability retroactively. Some are available with shards, but many aren't, and this is a move clearly designed to trigger even more impulse buying. Waiting a year is not a big deal to many, but for many others it is. It's very mask off opportunism. It's anti consumer, and it's gross.
    2. Announcing that all non-licensed cosmetics will be given a shard price, but then saying "well, except those, sorry!". The should have accounted for that in the initial announcement. It can't be that hard to plan out your messaging better than this.

    These things really give them impression that there is a business model of "we'll do whatever makes us the most money, in the moment, regardless of whether or not it is consistent with established protocol". So it creates a general atmosphere of uncertainty, and will likely lead to even more impulse buying, because now we don't know what may be yanked from the store at any given time.

    It's just disappointing.

  • You know, I wanted to buy one day that pyjama Feng since I am Feng main... but now they will put this behind "Even"t and lock it for a year?

    Nah, you can keep that skin. I don't want it anymore. I can't save shards for it and I am not buying that after these news. What a trash and terrible idea.

  • @RaccoonInATrenchCoat said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/P2EHN8MG6RW7/image-2.png

    Honestly, #########. How greedy and scummy can you get?

    The illogical arguments presented throughout this thread baffle me. It makes perfect sense to release a HOLIDAY skin during the appropriate holiday… This should be the case for each and every holiday skin, not just the Christmas ones. The argument has also been made that they are “scummy” for doing this, and “greedy” and I am shocked that a community that demands the greatest computer programmers that have ever lived be readily available at their beck and call, but oh no you better not be making any money while catering to my every need! Are you serious? Making holiday skins exclusive to holidays makes them feel more special, and yes more sought after. 2 birds with 1 stone. Create a demand with a special item, and make a little coin in the process. That’s just smart business.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284690#Comment_3284690

    They will not become purchasable with shards, these themed seasonal outfits are exempt from that.

    Im guessing because they technically arent out for the full 4 weeks before leaving the shop?

    That is something I kind of disagree with. I can get why collab and ultra-rares cost Auric Cells. But this just feels super unnecessary. Im fine with limited time cosmetics, and I can understand to some degree why older cosmetics are getting the same treatment, but having cosmetics locked to Auric Cells after yall stated you would stop doing it pisses me off the most.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284690#Comment_3284690

    They will not become purchasable with shards, these themed seasonal outfits are exempt from that.

    FB_IMG_1516388475565.jpg

    Seriously, you're not even trying to hide it at this point? Wow!

    Just..wow!

  • @Phantom_ said:

    Wasn't there a twitter post by BHVR saying that they'd be available now for auric cells and later for shards?

    I love how the devs are more and more asking the community about things, getting an answer, and then continuing to do a 180 on every response they've gotten lmao.

    Thanks BHVR for setting it into stone for me to never ever pay another single cent on your game! :)

    Found the post you are talking about. So yeah the whole FOMO business is very sneaky and scummy.

    082B81D3-2804-4E17-90D9-C8AD46737396.png


  • Oh at first I thought they were leaving forever, but that’s still really messed up.

  • Exactly what I was thinking.

    You cant say one thing and then go back and do the complete opposite. This is probably the most frustrating part of all this imo. I can handle the limited time stuff, since Im guessing BHVR wants things to be more seasonal, but THIS, this is something to be pissed about.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284865#Comment_3284865

    Thats not how FOMO works. Or rather, I guess it would be more accurate to say thats how it does.

    FOMO preys on people who are vulnerable to impulse spending, using the concept of regret as kindling to get them to spend. Its a very manipulative marketing tactic that takes advantage of people who have a hard time controlling their spending/budgeting, encouraging them to make purchases (that they would otherwise be able to rationalize away from) which is why it is so often looked down upon. This is also why its such a popular tactic in various F2P games and MMOs, its both scummy and unfortunately effective, and its effect grows with investment.

    Having limited time availability followed by continuous availability is one thing, but this form of recurrent seasonal limited time availability or whatever is being done here, while also retroactively making previous permanently available items limited time only for absolutely zero logistical reason other than to force said FOMO manipulation is an extremely consumer hostile approach.

    It sounds to me that some people are susceptible to FOMO...

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/356998/all-winter-cosmetics-are-leaving-really-bhvr

    The illogical arguments presented throughout this thread baffle me. It makes perfect sense to release a HOLIDAY skin during the appropriate holiday… This should be the case for each and every holiday skin, not just the Christmas ones. The argument has also been made that they are “scummy” for doing this, and “greedy” and I am shocked that a community that demands the greatest computer programmers that have ever lived be readily available at their beck and call, but oh no you better not be making any money while catering to my every need! Are you serious? Making holiday skins exclusive to holidays makes them feel more special, and yes more sought after. 2 birds with 1 stone. Create a demand with a special item, and make a little coin in the process. That’s just smart business.

    This. All day.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284948#Comment_3284948

    It sounds to me that people susceptible to FOMO need therapy more than they need new skins...

    And many of them do get therapy, but your dehumanizing approach to people who others are trying to advocate for has been noted.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285014#Comment_3285014

    And many of them do get therapy, but your dehumanizing approach to people who others are trying to advocate for has been noted.

    Do tell me how suggesting people seek to better their mental well-being is dehumanizing. This should be interesting.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285017#Comment_3285017

    Do tell me how suggesting people seek to better their mental well-being is dehumanizing. This should be interesting.

    Telling people that their vulnerability is less important than the profits of a company is, but thats not the message you are trying to convey and you truly and honestly care about these people's well being, don't you. It wasn't even remotely a responsibility and blame shift disguised as well meaning concern, right?


  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285025#Comment_3285025

    Telling people that their vulnerability is less important than the profits of a company is, but thats not the message you are trying to convey and you truly and honestly care about these people's well being, don't you. It wasn't even remotely a responsibility and blame shift disguised as well meaning concern, right?

    I think you're trying to vilify me, but you're doing a terrible job of it. I said they need therapy more than skins, as in mental health should take priority. I literally place value of mental health over profit in my sentence structure. I ask you again, how is that dehumanizing?

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285037#Comment_3285037

    I think you're trying to vilify me, but you're doing a terrible job of it. I said they need therapy more than skins, as in mental health should take priority. I literally place value of mental health over profit in my sentence structure. I ask you again, how is that dehumanizing?

    Because you're saying that the practice is fine, despite it being documented as problematic and manipulative to the point that even Forbes articles acknowledge it, and shifting the blame onto the vulnerable person instead of the company knowingly and even retroactively applying it after people have been investing in the game for years.

    This is known as victim blaming, you are blaming the people with any form of impulse control vulnerability that these changes are literally designed to take advantage of rather than the company putting forth said practices.

    I'm not vilifying you, your stance is. I'm just trying to help you understand what you're actually saying in the event that you don't actually mean it, and are just ignorant to the direction your stance carries.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285052#Comment_3285052

    Because you're saying that the practice is fine, despite it being documented as problematic and manipulative to the point that even Forbes articles acknowledge it, and shifting the blame onto the vulnerable person instead of the company knowingly and even retroactively applying it after people have been investing in the game for years.

    This is known as victim blaming, you are blaming the people with any form of impulse control vulnerability that these changes are literally designed to take advantage of rather than the company putting forth said practices.

    I'm not vilifying you, your stance is. I'm just trying to help you understand what you're actually saying in the event that you don't actually mean it, and are just ignorant to the direction your stance carries.

    And placing the sole blame at the foot of the company dulls any sense of urgency for individuals to seek the help they need. How is that any better?

  • I just wanna know why they're obsessed with trickster and keep giving him cosmetics. No one plays or buys anything from him lol, I am confused. I get why Feng Min, not him

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285060#Comment_3285060

    And placing the sole blame at the foot of the company dulls any sense of urgency for individuals to seek the help they need. How is that any better?

    Thats not even remotely what was conveyed, nor implied? Highlighting a poor business decision and its manipulative nature is literally just saying "you shouldn't use this business practice, here is why." Literally nothing in anything I have said has any implication that anyone who the issue applies to should not be working on said issue, nor seeking help when necessary. You're doing an awful job of trying to project that onto me, when my entire stance has specifically been that it is a manipulative practice that should be avoided, something you apparently feel is zero issue:

    Stop being disingenuous.

  • Fun fact: I'm pretty sure they've only done this for the first 5 killers and 4 survivors so far. They're going at a SNAIL'S PACE. So yeah, enjoy your Shard Prices for Slinger in 2025, also we made half of the cosmetics time limited now.

  • If people need therapy just to do purchases, I don't think the blame is on those people

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    If people need therapy just to do purchases, I don't think the blame is on those people

    Blame and accountability are two completely different concepts. But per your comment, should we then blame bars for making alcoholics? Casinos for making gamblers? At what point does a business bear responsibility for the mental health of the consumer, and at what point does a consumer bear responsibility for their mental health?

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285107#Comment_3285107

    Blame and accountability are two completely different concepts. But per your comment, should we then blame bars for making alcoholics? Casinos for making gamblers? At what point does a business bear responsibility for the mental health of the consumer, and at what point does a consumer bear responsibility for their mental health?

    Casinos in certain cases, yes

    Respectable bars BAN alcoholics from their places to protect them and their clientele. Think about that.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285107#Comment_3285107

    Blame and accountability are two completely different concepts. But per your comment, should we then blame bars for making alcoholics? Casinos for making gamblers? At what point does a business bear responsibility for the mental health of the consumer, and at what point does a consumer bear responsibility for their mental health?

    Yes and yes. Next question, please.

  • And that accomplishes what, exactly? Other than giving the alcoholic and the gambler the notion that THEY don't have a problem, it's those nasty businesses who are to blame?

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285203#Comment_3285203

    Casinos in certain cases, yes

    Respectable bars BAN alcoholics from their places to protect them and their clientele. Think about that.

    "In certain cases?" Which cases? And who makes that call?

    Bars cut off drunks because of codes and laws, and because of the provable fact that alcohol poisoning will kill you. I'm still waiting to hear about the scores of people who've died because they missed out on a limited skin.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284690#Comment_3284690

    They will not become purchasable with shards, these themed seasonal outfits are exempt from that.

    Our disappointment is growing. Any reason why it's like this now and will you explain?

  • Wow. So, the original announcement was that all non-licensed skins would be available for shards, but for unknown reasons they couldn't do it with all of the characters at once, so they were rolling it out slowly. Now, before cosmetics for a lot of the popular characters become available, the skins are getting bundled into limited-time packages that leave the store. Cool, cool, cool.

    And also the non-licensed holiday-themed skins are "exempt" from being available for shards. Also very cool.

    A lot of these things already cost money, so why lie to people and say they're going to be free if they're not? That's the part I don't get.

  • I'm so glad I don't put in a single dime in this game anymore. I spent $10 ages ago for one rift and I've stored that 1k like nuts for rifts only.

    Really disappointing news. I was actually considering getting the Yun-Jin one as it was my favorite in the group but oh well.

  • @Hex_Llama said:

    Wow. So, the original announcement was that all non-licensed skins would be available for shards, but for unknown reasons they couldn't do it with all of the characters at once, so they were rolling it out slowly. Now, before cosmetics for a lot of the popular characters become available, the skins are getting bundled into limited-time packages that leave the store. Cool, cool, cool.

    And also the non-licensed holiday-themed skins are "exempt" from being available for shards. Also very cool.

    A lot of these things already cost money, so why lie to people and say they're going to be free if they're not? That's the part I don't get.

    Not really hard to understand. Money.

  • @GenJockeyNance said:

    I'm so glad I don't put in a single dime in this game anymore. I spent $10 ages ago for one rift and I've stored that 1k like nuts for rifts only.

    Really disappointing news. I was actually considering getting the Yun-Jin one as it was my favorite in the group but oh well.

    yeah I was going to buy kate's, mikaela's and finally get the krampus skin. But nah, I don't support anti consumer practices.

  • god you can never trust bhvr can you, when finally they start doing good decisions and you think they finally understood how to handle their game and listen to the community they soon after come up with something to greatly upsets their community.

    please reconsider this bhvr, don't be like other greedy companies.

    making the skins available all the time is more beneficial to you than this #########.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285208#Comment_3285208

    "In certain cases?" Which cases? And who makes that call?

    Bars cut off drunks because of codes and laws, and because of the provable fact that alcohol poisoning will kill you. I'm still waiting to hear about the scores of people who've died because they missed out on a limited skin.

    Noone's dying so it's fine, alright

    Let me go sell fake pokemon cards to children. Noone's dying for them and it's not illegal, why are people suddenly mad at me?

  • I'd just like to point out that in the in-game news of the German game version, it does not say so - it doesn't even state that the new collection is going away in early January, nor that already existing cosmetics that were available all year round become season-limited. For whatever reason, this particular news entry is in German while the rest of the news is English.

    Based on the in-game news, I was happy that the new cosmetics collection wasn't available for the holiday season only and surprised to read the threads here on this forum.

    So, some people who have their game set to German will probably very surprised on January 4th (not everyone reads the forums), and you can't tell them they should have read the in-game news ... maybe you should post a new news entry that clarifies the limited availability in all languages.

  • Marketing 101. Make your customer NEED the product you are selling, create urgency and panic buying. Digital items in games are infinite, there is no "limited time" on them. It's purely from a higherup wanting to get that Q4 revenue. As they say business is business, and you're nothing but a number to them, no matter how much they tarnish their reputation. As I said before, Survivors are the cash cow of Dbd.

    imagedfdfdfdfd.png


  • @Mandy said:

    Whilst the cosmetics will be leaving the store after this seasonal period ends, they will become available next year during the winter season.

    I've never known a game company so out of touch with their fan base as much as BHVR are.

    No one wants this. It's an obvious greedy attempt to grab more money from an already cash grabbing game.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284770#Comment_3284770

    Please do not spread misinformation, this is not something that is stated to happen.

    I've clarified I do not know how these items will be purchasable on their return, I genuinely do not expect them to change and that those that are purchasable with shards now will hopefully remain so - this is just some time in the future and not something I personally can guarantee.

    Sorry Mandy, but he isn't wrong. This is a very good reason to amend a review. The game is constantly changing, it's not the same game it was 6 years ago and the reviews should reflect that.

    You absolutely are removing existing cosmetics from the game, whether you plan to bring them back next year or not is irrelevant.

  • YES, THIS! Tysm for finding it <3 I mean business is business at the end of the day, albeit scummy or not, end-results are often one and the same anyways.

    But yeah, they're not getting any money from me anymore lmao. I'll have my characters wearing the most basic B default outfits ✌️

  • The average gamer teaching a company how to handle sales. Hilarious.

  • I mean it was obvious that the new christmas skins would be a part of their new 'limited time skins' money-grubbing crap, but the fact they're retroactively making -all- the other old winter skins ALSO time limited now is absolutely disgusting and some of the worst anti-comsumer bull I've seen in a video game.

  • The reaction to FOMO tactics should always be

    'I have a set time when I spent my money on this stuff, if you don't have the stuff I want available then, you're not getting my money'

  • The fact they were asking to be voted for "Labor of Love" prior and then decided to make previous cosmetics time-limited is hilarious.

    I love this game to death, but the developers are greedy as hell.

1 2 3 4 5