Map Voting?

So after making a post about indoor maps, I thought about something that could really benefit the games health. (let me know if you think I'm wrong or disagree)


Like Halo and many other games, add a map voting feature. Before the game starts, give 3 options of maps that the 5 players can choose from. The map that gets the most votes, is selected. This might also help some map related DC issues. Or make them worse idk lol by seeing that people voted RPD, players will leave before the game starts rather than waiting till the games starts.


But with this being a thing the "add-on" and "character change lock" would have to happen sooner so people cant get an upper hand on the map selection. The map votes happen AFTER everyone's add-ons and character have been locked in.

Map offerings can be removed and instead give the player a chance to vote twice. If any voting is tied, the vote will go to the map with the most votes first. (ex: if Crotus Pren and Midwitch are tied at 2 and 2, the game will either choose one randomly or choose the map that had 2 votes first.

Or make the map offering give the wanted map a given spot in the 3 map selection for people to vote for. (ex: if you burn a Midwitch offering, 1 of 3 selected maps would be Midwitch) if all 5 player bring a different map offering, 3 offerings are picked at random for player to vote for. Or if more than 3 different offerings are brought, they all cancel out and regular map voting happens.

Thank you for reading, if you have any ideas for this or changes, add it down below!

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I also agree that more well designed maps would be good, but when I have to decide between playing 10 good maps or 50 maps where only 10 are good, I would rather go with less maps every single time ...

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239983#Comment_3239983

    All 5 people would need to agree on the vote. Otherwise we would just end up in a situation where a map gets banned in the survivor’s favor because it’s 4v1.

    It would be a vote for all maps on where not to go. A vote on a map from any player would mean that map is not played on. Doesn’t matter if it’s one vote or five.

  • @Ghouled_Mojo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240089#Comment_3240089

    It would be a vote for all maps on where not to go. A vote on a map from any player would mean that map is not played on. Doesn’t matter if it’s one vote or five.

    That means the survivors could remove 4 “killer sided” maps, and the killer would only be able to remove 1 “survivor sided” map.

    Would the killer be able to vote on 4 maps to remove?

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240330#Comment_3240330

    That means the survivors could remove 4 “killer sided” maps, and the killer would only be able to remove 1 “survivor sided” map.

    Yep. Swf would suck it up for killer just as usual. Also means I wouldn’t be stuck on rcpd three times in a row or the game three times in a row.

  • First they need to make all maps the same size so all are fair. Map offerings should be removed.

  • My thoughts are not a vote for a map, but a vote for a map ban.

    Maps voted for map ban will no longer be elected; we will select from about 1st to 3rd place, with progressively lower percentages of election.

    Controversial as it may be, only killers will be available.

    This is because some killer designs make some maps look really bad. This is different for each killer.


    A map ban does not determine which map comes next, and if there is a map you want to play as before, you can use the offerings.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239643#Comment_3239643

    Swf would be an issue for sure but just the fact the killer's vote is always outnumbered is my point. It also puts solo survivors in a bad spot with voting as well when paired with swf.

    agreed


    @LylakLavender said:

    Amusement Park!!!! This game needs an amusement park map. I'd be happy to be slaughtered in one. Just kill me right next to a Rollercoaster 🎢 or ferris wheel.😁😁😁

    you know what?? kill me next to rollercoaster too lol


    @bm33 said:

    I want them to make it so the realm the players had in their last match is removed from possible map selection to stop back to back matches in same realm. Then make map offerings guarantee you won't go to a specific realm instead of increasing chances to go there, that would stop players from DCing because if you really hate a map you have a way to not get sent there.

    i like the offering idea!! so if i use a RPD offering, it wont go to rpd! i like it!


    @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239762#Comment_3239762

    These are valid concerns. If maps were more balanced it wouldn't matter where a trial is played, beyond just personal preference.

    Then a voting system of some sort could be added. Based on fun. Remember fun?

    i agree 100%. and fun? whats that? lol


    @Ghoste said:

    The map choice should be pure RNG imo. No map offerings, no voting, just luck of the draw.

    yeah but i still play indoor maps at least 30 to 40% of the time lol


    @Marc_go_solo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239618#Comment_3239618

    I feel that would fall into a similar category you mentioned earlier, although it does at least keep a sizeable pool of maps remaining to choose from, so it's a better idea.

    i honestly prefer that idea more


    @Archol123 said:

    The best thing would just be a map veto list, just like in Starcraft 2. So everyone can veto a certain amount of maps maybe 3-5 per person? I mean there are more than 40 maps in the game so it really should not be much of an issue. With that nobody has to play on their most hated map and in the end everyone gets an okayish map.

    Like I said before the number could also be sth else... Now we either need to remove map offerings as they destroy the concept or make them iridescent maybe? At least playing a map offering should only bring the map back into the pool but not with a higher chance, even if multiple of the same are played... Unless the map is not vetoed of course....

    I'm aware of the issues that brings for certain builds that only work on certain maps: Mirror Myers for example. But then again when our goal is to not make somebody completely miserable by them having to play on a certain map we cannot give everyone what they wanted but only what they really did not want...

    Worst case you have to hope you will get a group of survivors that don't despise the map you want... But then again many guys that despise a certain map will dc anyway, so with that in mind you're most likely not getting to play your map anyway xD

    truer words have never been spoken lol


    @DY86 said:

    Wouldn’t work cause this is a asymmetrical game. There are maps that are good for surv, some neutral, and some good for Killer. One side will NEVER choose a map that benefits the other side. With good reason lol

    not to mention it would 100% defeat the purpose of map offerings. All maps should just be all neutral tbh

    you would think all maps have the same amount of % to be selected but ive seen RPD more than any other map in the entire game lol


    @DY86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240208#Comment_3240208

    But that would only create new problems. First being the same maps over and over and over as some maps are hated all around. Second being even longer wait time in the game lobby for basically nothing as people would keep vetoing everything.

    Not to mention people quitting for not getting their way, meaning requeues. I mean, if I play infinite tier one Myers in Mother Dwelling I’d seriously consider quitting the match before loading lol

    Myers needs completely reworked. but thats a different story lol

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240330#Comment_3240330

    That means the survivors could remove 4 “killer sided” maps, and the killer would only be able to remove 1 “survivor sided” map.

    Sure like I said, would be a possibility to give killer and survivor sides equal vetos in total...

    The amount of vetos depends on what seems appropriate... Let's say both sides get a total of 8 vetos that means 16 maps max cannot be chosen from, according to the wiki there are 39 maps so 23 remain...

    Let's for example say the killer vetos: Fractured Cowshed, RPD (both), Haddonfield, Eyrie of Crows, Mother's Dwelling, The Game and Garden of Joy.

    And the survivors coordinate well in a SWF and adjusted their bans to get also 8 bans and ban: Midwich, Lerys, Father Campbells Chapel, Shelter Woods, Azarovs Resting Place, Suffocation Pit, Wreckers Yard and Bloodlodge.

    There are still more than enough maps...

    (I'm really not sure what survivors would ban, I myself just hate indoor maps, but already banned them on the killer side, ofc both sides could also ban the same map... So I just went with maps that are either easy to 3 gen, or indoor maps or just small open maps in general...)

    There are still some maps that are considered strong for survivor, for example bedham, Rotten Fields, Disturbed Ward... But also some fairly balanced or killer sided maps... With the amount of maps you will still have some rotation in it, you just don't need to play on the most terrible maps again... Most terrible for what you feel about it...

    I would even say we could go higher and put 12 bans per side in... even 15 remaining maps should be fine... But with that amount I would not know anymore what to ban as survivor, where as killer I would just ban all Bedham maps xD

  • @Seraphor said:

    Does the killer count for four votes?

    Yeah that would be my question. The 1v4 would create problems, imo

  • @KrypticReeps said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239762#Comment_3239762

    agreed

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239764#Comment_3239764

    you know what?? kill me next to rollercoaster too lol

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239771#Comment_3239771

    i like the offering idea!! so if i use a RPD offering, it wont go to rpd! i like it!

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239939#Comment_3239939

    i agree 100%. and fun? whats that? lol

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240078#Comment_3240078

    yeah but i still play indoor maps at least 30 to 40% of the time lol

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240115#Comment_3240115

    i honestly prefer that idea more

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240121#Comment_3240121

    truer words have never been spoken lol

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240192#Comment_3240192

    you would think all maps have the same amount of % to be selected but ive seen RPD more than any other map in the entire game lol

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3240217#Comment_3240217

    Myers needs completely reworked. but thats a different story lol

    Your experiences are not universal lmao u saw it. Its been weeks since I dont see RPD so like ??

    also, Myers was an exemple. No Terror radius Doc in Lerrys is another exemple. Sadako Condemn only build in Silent Hill is another etc etc etc.

  • @Archol123 said:

    Yeah sure but its not like it is the same map over and over again, like I said before there are between 40 and 50 maps... if we veto 15-20 there are still 20-30 maps in the pool? And I would rather play on 10 good maps every day than 50 ######### ones... I you look into counter strike or starcraft... there are waaaaaay less maps in the pool, and people still play the game because the maps are actually well designed... And that is the problem with many maps in DBD they might look nice, but they are not fun to play on... You can't blame people for not wanting to play on unfun maps..

    Ah ok nono you misunderstood... Every survivor has a list of all maps, even before he enters queue and every killer as well... And just like your perk loadout it gets saved every time, just like in Starcraft 2 you just pick the maps you want to veto and these veto'ed maps just stay veto'ed until you cange it again... So there is literally no extra time you have to spend in the lobby unless you just cannot decide on which map you hate most.

    But you don't see the map in my idea XD You just play with a decreased map pool and just like now already you see the map when you load into it.... I think you misunderstood me my points there, wasn't clear enough I guess...

    Bruh, theres like 17 maps in the game currently lol. If u decrease the pool you WILL get the same maps over and over. Ur thinking of “variations”, theres several more variations of layout but only 17 maps overall. So the problem stil remains, same maps over and over. No diversity of maps for anyone.

    oh ok, i see what u mean, thats better tbh. Choosing beforehand is better but, like I said, its not healthy to have the same map pool over and over. Both killers and survs should have a decent map knowledge to get around to chase and get chased.

    Also, devs put a lot of effort into those maps for us to just “veto” them. We should learn them instead of avoiding for no reason

  • god i would love for a map voting system to be a thing. but I can't see a way that it'd work in an aysm game like this.

    i think removing map offerings and balancing maps one by one would be the better option (although it will probably take a long time).

  • How is there only 17 maps in the game? You might be talking about realms which only mean you gonna see different stuff, I have above 2k hours in this game and I could not care less about the asthetics... I just want the maps to be fun to play on...I mean I can accept that bedham 1-5 are basically all the same, but every single azarovs or mcmillan map is different... But fine by me we will count the badham as 1 so we're still at 35 maps... The other realms offer fairly different maps... different main structures, a completely different size often times... So you're just wrong about that point...

    They put a lot of effort into the maps to look good, but we all know some of them are just boring to play on or broken like the bushes on garden of joy... It is not about learning a map... When we consider cowshed for an M1 killer... what is there to learn for you? This map is so easy to loop as survivor and I always wonder how some people manage to ever go down on it. It is not about avoiding them for no reason... I can come up with several reasons why the maps I would veto are not well designed for the gameplay... For example:

    • The Game: 25 safe pallets and like 5-7 windows, basically none of them are mindgameable...
    • Fractured cowshed: like I said before has so many connected loops around the shack and to both sides, basically every single pallet on this map is really strong and can be chained back into some window in particular the long loops around shack oftentimes you can run the entire side of cowshed as one giant loop, and basically any m1 killer will just get no hit out of it in a reasonable time
    • Badham maps 3 very strong main structures and a whole lot of other strong pallets
    • Dead Dawg Saloon: Ridiculously strong mainbuildin that if run properly can take ages to get a down which makes it so you basically have to abandon the chase as soon as somebody reaches it, besides 10 breakable walls where you to kick half of them to make the structures easier
    • Mothers dwelling: biggest map in the game just far too large...
    • Indoor maps in general: Basically no crows for tracking, scratchmarks in the distance are a rarity, you can basically know somebody is working a gen above you but you still have to run there for like 15-20 seconds just because of the map layout...
    • Eyrie of crows: many many strong loops in the middle a total of around 20 pallets most of them good, some twigs that have weird physical interaction so you can normal run through them but will trigger a tantrum if you try to go around tightly as bubba, which makes the chainsaw basically unusable at some rock loops
    • Garden of Joy: Terrible hit boxes of the bushes, making many killer struggle to use their power there, a ridiculously strong main building with many good windows and 2 pallets...


    Tell me how this criticism is for no reason man? I don't hate a map for no reason, I hat a map because it is not well designed for the gameplay to happen on that map... I don't want to go around the game and kick 20 pallets to get an m1 just because all pallets are so safe... That is just not good gameplay...

  • A veto system would really be the only workable voting system for this game.

    After the lobby players could be presented with 6 randomly chosen realms (or maps). Each player would choose one to veto. One of the realms (maps) that isn't vetoed would be chosen for the match.

  • @ShyPirate said:

    A veto system would really be the only workable voting system for this game.

    After the lobby players could be presented with 6 randomly chosen realms (or maps). Each player would choose one to veto. One of the realms (maps) that isn't vetoed would be chosen for the match.


    That would also be fine I guess, but since there is more than 6 maps that are really bad designed it still has a risk to get a bad map anyway...

  • I have maps I dislike but for me personally there are killers I dislike more than any map and these are the main reasons I will not really want to stay in that match. I have a suspicion that this is a significant reason for many DC's but I don't know how they could do anything about that as obviously many people would choose to not play against Nurse or Blight etc and those killers would never get games.

    But I would rather wait three times as long in queue than play against Trickster, Twins or Pinhead... maps though? Meh, not really that concerned

  • Mmmm. I don't really see this working at all in dbd.

    Map voting is a good idea in symmetrical games where 2 teams of equal size and capabilities are matched, because there isn't a situation where 1 pick is advantageous to only one side.

    I'm dbd, because there are definite "sided" maps, this would lead to very stale and predictable "favorite picks" situation, and yes, the fact that 80% of the votes comes from 1 side is definitely an issue that cannot be overlooked.

  • @entertainment720 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3239588#Comment_3239588

    Yeah that would be my question. The 1v4 would create problems, imo

    Ez. One side gets to ban maps from a randomly selected list, then the other gets to pick from what's left. That's basically what they do for picking maps in Smash tourneys. Which side gets to ban and which side gets to pick is up for debate.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    Mmmm. I don't really see this working at all in dbd.

    Map voting is a good idea in symmetrical games where 2 teams of equal size and capabilities are matched, because there isn't a situation where 1 pick is advantageous to only one side.

    I'm dbd, because there are definite "sided" maps, this would lead to very stale and predictable "favorite picks" situation, and yes, the fact that 80% of the votes comes from 1 side is definitely an issue that cannot be overlooked.

    Or both sides get the same amount of bans... so Killer: x ,Survivor: x/4 per survivor and x in total

  • @ShyPirate said:

    A veto system would really be the only workable voting system for this game.

    After the lobby players could be presented with 6 randomly chosen realms (or maps). Each player would choose one to veto. One of the realms (maps) that isn't vetoed would be chosen for the match.

    That still wouldn’t work. Let’s say for example 3 “killer sided” maps and 3 “survivor sided” maps are randomly chosen. The survivors would just veto all the “killed sided” maps, and the killer would be stuck with a “survivor sided” map. There would be some maps the killers might not ever see again? Because the survivors would always veto it.

  • Even if killers received an equivalent degree of influence map vote preference, I still think it would result in a stalemate. Survivors would clearly vote against maps that favor killers—and they absolutely should. Killers would certainly vote against maps that favor survivors, which is also reasonable. Leaving things up to chance is probably the only thing that can really work.

  • @Ayodam said:

    Even if killers received an equivalent degree of influence map vote preference, I still think it would result in a stalemate. Survivors would clearly vote against maps that favor killers—and they absolutely should. Killers would certainly vote against maps that favor survivors, which is also reasonable. Leaving things up to chance is probably the only thing that can really work.

    And then in the end the least one sided maps / balanced maps stay if we veto enough maps... Sounds fine to me.

  • I like the vote to skip idea.


    Garden of joy

    Vote to skip? (4 needed)

    Votes: 5

  • Just have it so the game gives the players a batch of 3-5 maps to play on. Everyone votes for what they want, and then the game randomly chooses one to use. That way players still have some influence on map chosen without it leaning towards survivors or killer.

1 2 ›