David's opened the door, is anyone else going to follow?

At the risk of opening a can of worms... (because we all know how these threads like to attract the "less than helpful" posts)

We have 30 survivors. That's a pretty sizable roster, and covers a diverse selection of individuals, different ethnicities and religions, and now, sexualities too. Statistically, it would not be unusual for there to be 2-4 other non-heterosexual characters within that number.

So there's room for more LGBT+ representation, that wouldn't be out of place.

So who would you like it to be?

Existing characters, or new characters?

Gay? Bi? Is there scope for trans?

And why?



I think Yui Kimura would make a good option. Gay, bi or pan.

Kicked out of her home for flouting her mothers preferred gender stereotypes, joins up with an all-girl biker gang with a side mission of protecting women from stalkers and abusers. There's more than enough room in there for a romance with one of her biker pals. Sure it falls into a couple stereotypes, but sometimes stereotypes are true, and these aren't exactly negative ones, they're empowering ones.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • As a hardcore YuiRin ship, I confirm

    image.png


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937331#Comment_2937331

    Why is it bad? You seem to care greatly about the sexuality of fictional pixelated characters. Congrats!

    I couldn’t care less about the sexuality about any character.

    i DO care about equal treatment though. And since heterosexuality was featured in this game since the very beginning it’s just fair that there is some kind of LGBTQ+ representation.


    i said too bad because you said you would prefer it otherwise. You know.. it seems like you care about this just as well :)

  • Many would approve, even Oni

  • What are you talking about?

  • @Chaos999 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937198#Comment_2937198

    I mean, David would fit a number of positive role models because he has many virtues.

    He is strong, brave, loyal, has overcome adversity and grown past his own insecurities.

    He can perfectly play the role of supportive straight friend or the role he has now and kick ass in either.

    We need another him xD.

    People who talk down on him for being gay forget that he could beat their ass for talking #########.

  • Uhh honey, this is a video game with plenty of lore and story telling. Let the creators tell the story’s they want and it won’t affect gameplay as it hasn’t since the beginning (well outside of fitting perk names and themes i guess).

    Move on and you have a great day too

  • Video games are an art form and, regardless on if you choose to acknowledge it or not, art will always reflect the views of the creator on issues at the time.

  • Ace is Ace.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937832#Comment_2937832

    This game is by no means an art form and to pretend otherwise is actually really funny, thank you for that :)

    Video games are an art form. They just are.

  • @Killmaster said:

    I'd rather players be allowed to decide each character's background for themselves.

    I feel like this is the best choice, I’d rather scrub most lore that mentions the character’s preferences and just leave that part to the imagination

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937047#Comment_2937047

    I feel like this is the best choice, I’d rather scrub most lore that mentions the character’s preferences and just leave that part to the imagination

    Then have fun scrubbing lore all the way back to August 2016

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937884#Comment_2937884

    Then have fun scrubbing lore all the way back to August 2016

    What, changing a few lines of text for each character? Pay me in blood points and I’ll do it haha

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937885#Comment_2937885

    What, changing a few lines of text for each character? Pay me in blood points and I’ll do it haha

    More like rewriting The Nurse entirely to attempt to keep the main theme of sympathetic villain while removing her husband, the reason for her move to the Asylum in the first place. Probably need more than a few lines rewritten for her

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937888#Comment_2937888

    More like rewriting The Nurse entirely to attempt to keep the main theme of sympathetic villain while removing her husband, the reason for her move to the Asylum in the first place. Probably need more than a few lines rewritten for her

    Not really, replace husband with partner…

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937885#Comment_2937885

    What, changing a few lines of text for each character? Pay me in blood points and I’ll do it haha

    It wouldn’t change the fact that everyone knew how it was initially revealed and actually intended though.

    these characters are established characters with well defined story’s/lives, that we discover through backstory’s and tome in pieces (and never complete). Part of these are relationships, and that also includes romantic or sexual relationships.


    BHVR has stated clearly that this is the way they want to tell their stories. It’s actually pretty rude to ask them to erase part of their stories just because someone doesn’t want them to exist when they are not harming anyone with it..

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937706#Comment_2937706

    I find the shoehorning silly, that's all. I said to have a great day. Feel free to move on too!

    But don’t wanna move on, thank you very much :)

    (and clearly you don’t want to too otherwise you would have just not responded anymore)

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937888#Comment_2937888

    It wouldn’t change the fact that everyone knew how it was initially revealed and actually intended though.

    these characters are established characters with well defined story’s/lives, that we discover through backstory’s and tome in pieces (and never complete). Part of these are relationships, and that also includes romantic or sexual relationships.

    BHVR has stated clearly that this is the way they want to tell their stories. It’s actually pretty rude to ask them to erase part of their stories just because someone doesn’t want them to exist when they are not harming anyone with it..

    I feel like this is why the community thinks David Kings lore was changed just for PR then

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937882#Comment_2937882

    I get what you're saying, people are just taking this entirely too seriously. This game has maybe the most pathetic community of all time so it's hard not to roll your eyes.

    I'm not sure I'd say most pathetic- Undertale and FNAF instantly spring to mind- but I'll agree it's definitely not great 🕳️🏃🏻

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937896#Comment_2937896

    I feel like this is why the community thinks David Kings lore was changed just for PR then

    What exactly do you think was changed though?

    all I know about is they added lore and expanded it. There was no change going on and no retconn.

  • It would be nice if the next lgbt character was a person of color. Someone with a more relatable background for some of us. Yui would be fine. Just don't do Jake xx 😂

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937898#Comment_2937898

    I wasn't going to but you just kept talking, so I responded. Not going to anymore though because you have nothing to say. Seeya!

    Big words from someone who hasn’t said anything meaningful on this topic at all :)

    bye (and let’s hope you actually hold your word)

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937900#Comment_2937900

    Probably because it was, lmao

    They most likely had a little roundtable and said "who do we make gay so the weirdos on the forums stop screeching at us" and picked a character.

    you are using the term ‚probably‘ and ‚most likely‘ wrong: just because you assume something or wish it was true doesn’t make it likely in any way


    also pretty much no one was screeching at all 😂 someone on Twitter talked reasonably with the devs iirc and the devs have revised their stance on this topic admitting they have been unfairly treating the topic in the past unintentionally.

  • I’m not sure about every character, but I’ve always personally viewed Claudette as being Asexual. She reminds me a lot of a girl I used to go to school with (both in looks and personality) and I recently found out that she is in fact, Asexual.

    Am I onto something? 👀

  • @Wrecked said:

    I’m not sure about every character, but I’ve always personally viewed Claudette as being Asexual. She reminds me a lot of a girl I used to go to school with (both in looks and personality) and I recently found out that she is in fact, Asexual.

    Am I onto something? 👀

    I think DBD may be based on your life.

    I would be very concerned. Watch out for fog...

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937921#Comment_2937921

    I think DBD may be based on your life.

    I would be very concerned. Watch out for fog...

    Well now that you mention it, me and The Observer have never been spotted in the same room before…

    D49A8C5B-4F78-4463-B652-BCDF6C5C0629.jpeg
  • First off I really appreciate BHVR for (finally) implementing LGBT+ rep and putting the work into it, and i hope they do it again.

    However, did they really have to pick the shirtless hot white dude people thirst over and make his first post coming-out cosmetic "flashy bartender" about being trendy and loving the dancefloor when he's just been a pub lad until now..? it took them 3 years and a collab to come up with this...

    I'm happy it happened and i hope it happens again but i also hope it won't be the tomboy-ish white girl (Nea) or the extravagant dude (Ace). I'm not against them being LGBT+ (on the contrary), I just hope they also confirm "less cliché" characters first.

    Also when they add new rep, I hope don't dedicate an entire tome to it or even make a big statement, i'd like more casual rep implemented (like Feng Min's tome saying she has a gilfriend like felix's wife is mentionned for example).

    Anyway here's the characters I'd like to be confirmed:

    Feng Min - Lesbian

    Jeff - Transgender

    Nea - Bisexual

    Jake Park - PanAce or AroAce or/and Transgender (idk he's just chilling in the woods he could be anything)

    (Also Ace & Yui and more than half the characters aren't cishets in my head lmao)

  • @_AdamFrancis_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937595#Comment_2937595

    People who talk down on him for being gay forget that he could beat their ass for talking #########.

    Actually, at this point, I don't think he would. He has already overcome his insecurities, he would not feel the need to lash out against anyone who insults him, he would just shrug it off.

    I think he would be much more likely to kick your butt for insulting his friends, though.

  • @Annso_x said:

    First off I really appreciate BHVR for (finally) implementing LGBT+ rep and putting the work into it, and i hope they do it again.

    However, did they really have to pick the shirtless hot white dude people thirst over and make his first post coming-out cosmetic "flashy bartender" about being trendy and loving the dancefloor when he's just been a pub lad until now..? it took them 3 years and a collab to come up with this...

    I'm happy it happened and i hope it happens again but i also hope it won't be the tomboy-ish white girl (Nea) or the extravagant dude (Ace). I'm not against them being LGBT+ (on the contrary), I just hope they also confirm "less cliché" characters first.

    Also when they add new rep, I hope don't dedicate an entire tome to it or even make a big statement, i'd like more casual rep implemented (like Feng Min's tome saying she has a gilfriend like felix's wife is mentionned for example).

    Anyway here's the characters I'd like to be confirmed:

    Feng Min - Lesbian

    Jeff - Transgender

    Nea - Bisexual

    Jake Park - PanAce or AroAce or/and Transgender (idk he's just chilling in the woods he could be anything)

    (Also Ace & Yui and more than half the characters aren't cishets in my head lmao)

    Interesting choices

  • @SatsujinSakana said:

    Personally I just want it to be left blank so everyone can enjoy the characters for being characters. Their sexuality shouldn't be told in the lore unless it's truly important to their story.

    Because at the end of the day, they're all going to be left on the floor by a Nurse or watched until they die on hook by a bubba. I don't think which way they swing really matters there.

    To be fair, it is in David’s case truly important for his story. It is also important for Nurses lore that she was married to her husband and that she lost him. These are experiences and struggles in their lore that making them the characters that they are!

    i agree BHVR should never just go out of their way to randomly going out the Rowling way and announce the sexual orientation/identity of every character just for the sake of it :)

  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937131#Comment_2937131

    https://youtu.be/RO5Y_XJ9X9k?t=489

    Based on his respose to the relationship question they do seem to have plenty time to talk to eachother without a killer on them.Them being at the campfire made sense when there were 4 characters but now 30 people at 1 campfire seems excessive.

    I like to imagine all survivors in the campfire together, like a safe heaven in the middle of hell

  • @Chaos999 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937697#Comment_2937697

    Actually, at this point, I don't think he would. He has already overcome his insecurities, he would not feel the need to lash out against anyone who insults him, he would just shrug it off.

    I think he would be much more likely to kick your butt for insulting his friends, though.

    Eh that's just anybody.

    Well atleast me.

    Lemme catch you talking down on my friends and I can't promise I will control my anger.

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937896#Comment_2937896

    I feel like this is why the community thinks David Kings lore was changed just for PR then

    Definitely a thought at the back of the mind.

  • @t0007319 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937896#Comment_2937896

    I feel like this is why the community thinks David Kings lore was changed just for PR then

    Which community thinks that? Are you generalising?

    How would you go about implementing sincere representation in a way that doesn't seem like just PR then? You might start by discussing how to do so with a community of LGBT+ gamers. Funnily enough, that's what they did.

    If anything about this seems "just PR" I can agree the tweet announcing it was out of the ordinary, as they don't typically announce lore details in that way. However it was a detail that the community in question would want to know about.

    Maybe a less grating method would have been to announce it in a tweet a little while after it was available to read. Say, today for instance. "Btw guys, you might have noticed... blah blah, we worked with GaymerX to... etc.".

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937900#Comment_2937900

    Probably because it was, lmao

    They most likely had a little roundtable and said "who do we make gay so the weirdos on the forums stop screeching at us" and picked a character.

    I wouldn't be so harsh to call people weirdos, but yeah. Probably

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937900#Comment_2937900

    Which community thinks that? Are you generalising?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938547#Comment_2938547

    How would you go about implementing sincere representation in a way that doesn't seem like just PR then? You might start by discussing how to do so with a community of LGBT+ gamers. Funnily enough, that's what they did.

    If anything about this seems "just PR" I can agree the tweet announcing it was out of the ordinary, as they don't typically announce lore details in that way. However it was a detail that the community in question would want to know about.

    Maybe a less grating method would have been to announce it in a tweet a little while after it was available to read. Say, today for instance. "Btw guys, you might have noticed... blah blah, we worked with GaymerX to... etc.".

    Make a new and unique character with their own personality and style. Something that feels more genuine and intentional from the start.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938548#Comment_2938548

    Make a new and unique character with their own personality and style. Something that feels more genuine and intentional from the start.

    Yes lets lock the first LGBT+ character behind a paywall so it looks like you're only doing it for profit, and have them LGBT+ right off the bat so that defines their entire character...


    Untitled Image


    This is why you converse with the community instead of just doing the first thing that pops into your head.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938562#Comment_2938562

    Yes lets lock the first LGBT+ character behind a paywall so it looks like you're only doing it for profit, and have them LGBT+ right off the bat so that defines their entire character...

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/1C23APP5POZ4/5lowwze-5b1-5d.png

    This is why you converse with the community instead of just doing the first thing that pops into your head.

    I read that the first day I found out David was gay. That response is not taken seriously by me.

    I'll bring the taboo up again "free content".

    I'd potentially buy the character anyway.

  • If it was a new character it would feel like tokenism.

  • @Dito175 said:

    If it was a new character it would feel like tokenism.

    How isn't it?

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938548#Comment_2938548

    Make a new and unique character with their own personality and style. Something that feels more genuine and intentional from the start.

    Here's a question: Hypothetically, is it possible to create a new character in this regard that follows the same beats as David? Hard, gruff no-nonsense brawler dude who is actually in the closet? If so, how is that meaningfully different from taking an established hard, gruff no-nonsense brawler dude and establishing that they're actually in the closet? If not, why not?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938562#Comment_2938562

    Here's a question: Hypothetically, is it possible to create a new character in this regard that follows the same beats as David? Hard, gruff no-nonsense brawler dude who is actually in the closet? If so, how is that meaningfully different from taking an established hard, gruff no-nonsense brawler dude and establishing that they're actually in the closet? If not, why not?

    Of course hypothetically speaking it would be possible. It'd be meaningfully different because we'd know 100% it was intended to be that way and not something they only decide after the fact. The fact being "we want to add in a LGBT character into the game."

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938722#Comment_2938722

    Of course hypothetically speaking it would be possible. It'd be meaningfully different because we'd know 100% it was intended to be that way and not something they only decide after the fact. The fact being "we want to add in a LGBT character into the game."

    Is that really a meaningful difference, provided that the quality of the added lore is roughly the same in both cases? If the goal is the same, the reasoning behind it is the same, and the end product is the same, how does the difference in execution matter?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938744#Comment_2938744

    Is that really a meaningful difference, provided that the quality of the added lore is roughly the same in both cases? If the goal is the same, the reasoning behind it is the same, and the end product is the same, how does the difference in execution matter?

    Shows effort. I do think the intention of something shows how serious it can be.

    In the battle, I just think the new character would be superior in most cases and reasoning.

  • Yui as lesbian/bi/pan would be pretty sweet and would fit her lore nicely as well.

    Heck, every single character can be LGBT+.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938759#Comment_2938759

    Shows effort. I do think the intention of something shows how serious it can be.

    In the battle, I just think the new character would be superior in most cases and reasoning.

    It’s way more effort to write a story like this for an established character, as you need to make it believable and be careful not to change the character or write contradicting stuff - and they actually accomplished that. It would have been lazy if they did it the Rowling way: slap it as a label on an existing character without actually having it be in the story.

    in the end, it doesn’t matter though. Both existing and new characters are fictional characters and the creators can expand their stories how they think they fit. They have also already confirmed there will be more LGBTQ+ chars - for both existing and new ones possible.

  • I'm not one to care for any romantic subplots. Straight or gay.

    Pre existing like RE7 with Ethan and his wife? Okay.

    A subplot you can develop during game that can also seem forced to give the character a romantic interest, like a game released a few months earlier? Unnecessary.

1 2 3 4 5