David's opened the door, is anyone else going to follow?

At the risk of opening a can of worms... (because we all know how these threads like to attract the "less than helpful" posts)

We have 30 survivors. That's a pretty sizable roster, and covers a diverse selection of individuals, different ethnicities and religions, and now, sexualities too. Statistically, it would not be unusual for there to be 2-4 other non-heterosexual characters within that number.

So there's room for more LGBT+ representation, that wouldn't be out of place.

So who would you like it to be?

Existing characters, or new characters?

Gay? Bi? Is there scope for trans?

And why?



I think Yui Kimura would make a good option. Gay, bi or pan.

Kicked out of her home for flouting her mothers preferred gender stereotypes, joins up with an all-girl biker gang with a side mission of protecting women from stalkers and abusers. There's more than enough room in there for a romance with one of her biker pals. Sure it falls into a couple stereotypes, but sometimes stereotypes are true, and these aren't exactly negative ones, they're empowering ones.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Gay/Bi/Pan Jake I'm just saying

    Ace Claudette

    Trans lesbian Mikaela

    Dwight gives me fruity I just don't know what kind

    Trans Jeff

    And ofc Lesbian/Bi/Pan Yui

    Why? Idk I just think it works with pre-existing lore and it'd be neat

  • I'd rather players be allowed to decide each character's background for themselves.

  • @Killmaster said:

    I'd rather players be allowed to decide each character's background for themselves.

    And the beauties of headcanons means they still can choose to completely ignore it.

  • Yes Yui would make SO much sense

  • @Killmaster said:

    I'd rather players be allowed to decide each character's background for themselves.

    I mean, we have lore in the game.

    You can choose to not read it, and have your own headcanon, but these characters do have a canon background. Those backgrounds include ethnicity, religion, cultures, politics, there is no reason to exclude sexuality from that range of representation, especially when several are already in heterosexual relationships. That ship has sailed long ago.

  • I think the better choice was leaving it up to people, even if something is still shown. Felix was shown to have a wife and kid and people still assumed he wasn't fully straight.

  • A while ago way before I even knew about dbd in a dev livestream they said that one of the first five survivors(Dwight, Claudette, Meg, Jake, and Nea) weren't straight. If I had to guess I'd say Nea as in her tome she goes out of her way to help/impress her friend by tagging the mayors car to raise awareness about the pollution tin the water that he allowed. I going to go ahead and apologize in advance if I messed anything up with her lore-wise.

  • @Satelit said:

    Yes Yui would make SO much sense

    Why do I feel like I can't say the same thing but in the context of Yui being straight?

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937052#Comment_2937052

    Why do I feel like I can't say the same thing but in the context of Yui being straight?

    Yui's whole character is about fighting the norms and expectations so that's why I said it would fit.Never said she could't be straight tho.

  • I just play the game never even thought about the lore or anything of the such.

  • Ace/Jake/Dwight/Felix

  • @ThanosPAWG said:

    A while ago way before I even knew about dbd in a dev livestream they said that one of the first five survivors(Dwight, Claudette, Meg, Jake, and Nea) weren't straight. If I had to guess I'd say Nea as in her tome she goes out of her way to help/impress her friend by tagging the mayors car to raise awareness about the pollution tin the water that he allowed. I going to go ahead and apologize in advance if I messed anything up with her lore-wise.

    I do have a memory of them saying that but I swear I can't find a source,it might be a mandela effect.

  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937059#Comment_2937059

    I do have a memory of them saying that but I swear I can't find a source,it might be a mandela effect.

    Yea I wish I had the link to the stream or something but I couldn't find anything.

  • He opened that door and found Nea and Yui already inside making out there.

  • @Seraphor said:

    At the risk of opening a can of worms... (because we all know how these threads like to attract the "less than helpful" posts)

    We have 30 survivors. That's a pretty sizable roster, and covers a diverse selection of individuals, different ethnicities and religions, and now, sexualities too. Statistically, it would not be unusual for there to be 2-4 other non-heterosexual characters within that number.

    So there's room for more LGBT+ representation, that wouldn't be out of place.

    So who would you like it to be?

    Existing characters, or new characters?

    Gay? Bi? Is there scope for trans?

    And why?

    I think Yui Kimura would make a good option. Gay, bi or pan.

    Kicked out of her home for flouting her mothers preferred gender stereotypes, joins up with an all-girl biker gang with a side mission of protecting women from stalkers and abusers. There's more than enough room in there for a romance with one of her biker pals. Sure it falls into a couple stereotypes, but sometimes stereotypes are true, and these aren't exactly negative ones, they're empowering ones.

    As long as they leave Kate alone, I’d be cool with whatever they decide to do honestly. They cannot change the license character tho

  • Honestly I would love to see a strong straight male role model who wholeheartedly accepts David as his friend.

    Inclusion is a powerful theme, but so is love and acceptance.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937047#Comment_2937047

    And the beauties of headcanons means they still can choose to completely ignore it.

    Typically head canons are used for things that aren't explicitly stated. That's why I would have preferred they had a new character be their first Lbgt character.

    @Chaos999 said:

    Honestly I would love to see a strong straight male role model who wholeheartedly accepts David as his friend.

    Inclusion is a powerful theme, but so is love and acceptance.

    That would be nice to see.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    Honestly I would love to see a strong straight male role model who wholeheartedly accepts David as his friend.

    Inclusion is a powerful theme, but so is love and acceptance.

    I’m still confused on how the trials work tbh, when would the survivors get a chance to talk. And I mean all of them. Like when would you see a Adam talking to Jake, in between trial? Idk. Wish dbd had and animated show

  • e06c15b80d347941f79b643e174b03411b796068.jpg

    I hope going forward they make new character and not pull a David

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937122#Comment_2937122

    I’m still confused on how the trials work tbh, when would the survivors get a chance to talk. And I mean all of them. Like when would you see a Adam talking to Jake, in between trial? Idk. Wish dbd had and animated show

    https://youtu.be/RO5Y_XJ9X9k?t=489

    Based on his respose to the relationship question they do seem to have plenty time to talk to eachother without a killer on them.Them being at the campfire made sense when there were 4 characters but now 30 people at 1 campfire seems excessive.

  • Its funny how everyone is ok turning the male original characters into gays but as soon as someone wants to make one of the females lesbian the very same people are against it LMAO

  • @FeelsBadMan said:

    Its funny how everyone is ok turning the male original characters into gays but as soon as someone wants to make one of the females lesbian the very same people are against it LMAO

    Where... has anyone (let alone the "same people" whoever they are) said that?

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937122#Comment_2937122

    I’m still confused on how the trials work tbh, when would the survivors get a chance to talk. And I mean all of them. Like when would you see a Adam talking to Jake, in between trial? Idk. Wish dbd had and animated show

    Don't they gather around the campfire? I mean we see them in the main screen.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937146#Comment_2937146

    Where... has anyone (let alone the "same people" whoever they are) said that?

    this one for example:

    @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/322103/davids-opened-the-door-is-anyone-else-going-to-follow

    As long as they leave Kate alone, I’d be cool with whatever they decide to do honestly. They cannot change the license character tho

    and on reddit there was the same discussion the other day and so many people got legit offended of the idea of "turning" Yui into a lesbian

  • @Chaos999 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937131#Comment_2937131

    Don't they gather around the campfire? I mean we see them in the main screen.

    I guess your right

  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937131#Comment_2937131

    https://youtu.be/RO5Y_XJ9X9k?t=489

    Based on his respose to the relationship question they do seem to have plenty time to talk to eachother without a killer on them.Them being at the campfire made sense when there were 4 characters but now 30 people at 1 campfire seems excessive.

    I always imagined those that escaped together from a trial end up at the campfire together. And then suddenly (probably after falling asleep) they would wake up in a trial with a random selection of survivors? Those that get killed either wake up directly in another trial or probably first wake up at a random campfire with others and then it’s business as usual

  • @FeelsBadMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937150#Comment_2937150

    this one for example:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937121#Comment_2937121

    and on reddit there was the same discussion the other day and so many people got legit offended of the idea of "turning" Yui into a lesbian

    um? I only said Kate. Other than her, i said I was cool with whatever the devs decide to do with their other characters. Not sure what your getting at

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937170#Comment_2937170

    um? I only said Kate. Other than her, i said I was cool with whatever the devs decide to do with their other characters. Not sure what your getting at

    If David can be gay then anyone can be gay. Why not Kate? are you a homophobe?

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937178#Comment_2937178

    If David can be gay then anyone can be gay. Why not Kate? are you a homophobe?

    ^This is exactly my point

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937144#Comment_2937144

    I always imagined those that escaped together from a trial end up at the campfire together. And then suddenly (probably after falling asleep) they would wake up in a trial with a random selection of survivors? Those that get killed either wake up directly in another trial or probably first wake up at a random campfire with others and then it’s business as usual

    So did Steve, Nancy demo and Johnathan escape the entity or nah?

  • @Chaos999 said:

    Honestly I would love to see a strong straight male role model who wholeheartedly accepts David as his friend.

    Inclusion is a powerful theme, but so is love and acceptance.

    David would have been a good straight friend who supports someone like Dwight who literally has trapped in the closet memes.

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937178#Comment_2937178

    If David can be gay then anyone can be gay. Why not Kate? are you a homophobe?

    Is this where we are seriously getting at?

  • Is David Bi or Gay I missed the memo?

  • @Leatherface1990 said:

    Is David Bi or Gay I missed the memo?

    He is, as far as we know, gay. The newest Tome story ties it all up very nicely

  • I make my own Stories up. Steve from Stranger Things is Trapper's Boyfriend. He attracted to Killers in my mind.

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937175#Comment_2937175

    So did Steve, Nancy demo and Johnathan escape the entity or nah?

    I still see them and play as them so.. nah. They still in the fog.

  • @Leatherface1990 said:

    Is David Bi or Gay I missed the memo?

    Gay

  • Every character is LGBT+ until confirmed otherwise.

    Untitled Image


  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937131#Comment_2937131

    https://youtu.be/RO5Y_XJ9X9k?t=489

    Based on his respose to the relationship question they do seem to have plenty time to talk to eachother without a killer on them.Them being at the campfire made sense when there were 4 characters but now 30 people at 1 campfire seems excessive.

    I would guess it's more of a rotation at the campfire with trials basically happening constantly. So eventually everyone will meet everyone depending on who gets pulled onto which trials.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I'd prefer to never hear anything else on the topic in a video game where people are put on meat hooks. Let people use their own imaginations. As we've seen from some of the "artwork" plenty of people already do lmao

    Too bad it’s been confirmed there will be more LGBTQ+ characters revealed, both existing chars and new chars are possible.

    but luckily, that should prevent anyone to use their imagination!

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937047#Comment_2937047

    I mean, we have lore in the game.

    You can choose to not read it, and have your own headcanon, but these characters do have a canon background. Those backgrounds include ethnicity, religion, cultures, politics, there is no reason to exclude sexuality from that range of representation, especially when several are already in heterosexual relationships. That ship has sailed long ago.

    Sailed like most of the foundation of this game. Reminds me of old Blizzard.

  • @Seraphor said:

    At the risk of opening a can of worms... (because we all know how these threads like to attract the "less than helpful" posts)

    We have 30 survivors. That's a pretty sizable roster, and covers a diverse selection of individuals, different ethnicities and religions, and now, sexualities too. Statistically, it would not be unusual for there to be 2-4 other non-heterosexual characters within that number.

    So there's room for more LGBT+ representation, that wouldn't be out of place.

    So who would you like it to be?

    Existing characters, or new characters?

    Gay? Bi? Is there scope for trans?

    And why?

    I think Yui Kimura would make a good option. Gay, bi or pan.

    Kicked out of her home for flouting her mothers preferred gender stereotypes, joins up with an all-girl biker gang with a side mission of protecting women from stalkers and abusers. There's more than enough room in there for a romance with one of her biker pals. Sure it falls into a couple stereotypes, but sometimes stereotypes are true, and these aren't exactly negative ones, they're empowering ones.

    New Survivors SHould get the representation

    I'll be honest final answer. new survivors. with David, his pertains to his tome lore which is great. if other survivors get to be a part of the LGBT it should be the same thing. tome lore, explains their sexuality rather than having another jk rowling situation, concrete representation is better than being told something is true and never elaborating on that. With new Survivors, it is a perfect opportunity to create a built-in story that mentions their sexuality.

    Headcanon

    While it's a very lovely thing that David has come out of the closet for us, and just to clarify I am also gay so I come in with no harmful intent. When old characters are just announced that they are gay, it feels lazy. I would rather have true representation. and BHVR has mentioned that they have left a lot of characters nameless in sexuality in order to give people the freedom to create those headcanons themselves. There is room for more LGBT characters and it's my favorite thing to see in games. but as I said before lets not force them to jk rowling this situation

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937178#Comment_2937178

    If David can be gay then anyone can be gay. Why not Kate? are you a homophobe?

    Can you please stop with the homophobe bs? Seriously. If someone doesn't want to Kate to be gay they are perfectly fine to feel that way. No one is forced to think, feel or see things the way you do and they shouldn't be demonized for it either. Not wanting Kate, or any survivor for that matter, to be gay doesn't make someone a homophobe.

  • Yea... its sad isn't it? Any dissenting opinion to the idea of any survivor being thrown into the lgbt community risks getting you the homophobe label. I already got mine recently. Hell I got 2 of them.

  • I'd prefer them just to make new characters because as I've said before just making existing characters gay or the such makes me cringe a little.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937199#Comment_2937199

    Yea... its sad isn't it? Any dissenting opinion to the idea of any survivor being thrown into the lgbt community risks getting you the homophobe label. I already got mine recently. Hell I got 2 of them.

    Well I said I was cool with any other character and what bvhr would do. But I’m attracted to hot blondes and would rather have Kate be left alone. Apparently being cool with 18 characters coming out and wanting one to be just left alone is homophobic. That dudes just trying to start something for no reason

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937144#Comment_2937144

    I would guess it's more of a rotation at the campfire with trials basically happening constantly. So eventually everyone will meet everyone depending on who gets pulled onto which trials.

    Wish this game had a show to explore everything

  • Adam is bi and you couldn't force me to say otherwise.

  • @_AdamFrancis_ said:

    Adam is bi and you couldn't force me to say otherwise.

    How come you don’t have Adam as your avatar?

  • @Killmaster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2937122#Comment_2937122

    David would have been a good straight friend who supports someone like Dwight who literally has trapped in the closet memes.

    I mean, David would fit a number of positive role models because he has many virtues.

    He is strong, brave, loyal, has overcome adversity and grown past his own insecurities.

    He can perfectly play the role of supportive straight friend or the role he has now and kick ass in either.

    We need another him xD.

‹ 1 2 3 … 5