Help me understand this

After the Artist was released, an anti-loop Killer, good amount of Survivors said she was boring to face and were tired of anti-loop Killers. Some Killers said she was boring to use since she was anti-loop. Ringu Killer hits the PTB and since she's more map oriented and not an anti-loop Killers she's been deemed weak, "Wraith with extra steps" "Freddy plus Wraith" etc. So what is it that people want in a Killer?

Comments

  • The key to understanding the cosmic truth of the situation is...

    ...People aren't going to be happy with anything, and they're always going to complain. A similar thing happened recently; over and over people say they want a "game health chapter", but when we got a game health midchapter, people complained that there was "nothing in it".

  • @jesterkind said:

    The key to understanding the cosmic truth of the situation is...

    ...People aren't going to be happy with anything, and they're always going to complain. A similar thing happened recently; over and over people say they want a "game health chapter", but when we got a game health midchapter, people complained that there was "nothing in it".

    Well it doesn't help when you read her perks and power and find out that due to the current game balance she will lag behind so for a licensed character you have to pay for it seems like a slap in the face that seemingly the devs aren't even trying to make killer an enjoyable experience anymore.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2811817#Comment_2811817

    Well it doesn't help when you read her perks and power and find out that due to the current game balance she will lag behind so for a licensed character you have to pay for it seems like a slap in the face that seemingly the devs aren't even trying to make killer an enjoyable experience anymore.

    I think you're exaggerating. Could she use some tweaks? Sure. Is she unplayable? God no.

    She's been out for a day, nobody even knows how to play her yet. Calm down.

  • What I want in a killer?

    Good chase ability and good map pressure, a la pinhead 2.0.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2811914#Comment_2811914

    I think you're exaggerating. Could she use some tweaks? Sure. Is she unplayable? God no.

    She's been out for a day, nobody even knows how to play her yet. Calm down.

    Yeah, She is definitely as playable as legion.

  • I'd say she's definitely better than Legion, map traversal and a power that can down put her above them. If I were pressed to put her in a tier list based on super early initial impressions, I'd say she's low to mid C tier? She's alright, could use some tweaks.

  • Legion is the worst gaming experience I ever had in multiplayer games. I would rather work than "play" as legion

  • Imo they could add more of a tell on the killers side when she is invisible from the gameplay I seen from multiple perspectives of one match

  • I want old Freddy (the 2017 version) back.

    The new killer gives me old Freddy vibes. She doesn´t has to be OP, but fill a certain hit&run playstyle, which is appealing to me. So far it looks like she might be able to do that. On top of that, she has Jump Scare potential (like Myers). Which is also something i like.

  • @Tsulan said:

    I want old Freddy (the 2017 version) back.

    The new killer gives me old Freddy vibes. She doesn´t has to be OP, but fill a certain hit&run playstyle, which is appealing to me. So far it looks like she might be able to do that. On top of that, she has Jump Scare potential (like Myers). Which is also something i like.

    Hit and run isnt viable anymore due to circle of healing.

  • @Piruluk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812717#Comment_2812717

    Legion is the worst gaming experience I ever had in multiplayer games. I would rather work than "play" as legion

    Jaysus, Legion isn't THAT bad.

  • @Piruluk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812732#Comment_2812732

    Hit and run isnt viable anymore due to circle of healing.

    I swear people bring up COH as if it’s literally the only healing mechanic.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812717#Comment_2812717

    I'd say she's definitely better than Legion, map traversal and a power that can down put her above them. If I were pressed to put her in a tier list based on super early initial impressions, I'd say she's low to mid C tier? She's alright, could use some tweaks.

    The issues are her ability to condemn survivors.....it's hard to give them the Pips and too easy for them to remove them. Also when they grab a Tape survivors can still hold their items.....the tape magically gets put into a pocket dimension....she will need alot of work to not be put into the trash tier at the end of the PTB.....am I hopeful....yes a little...but past experiences prove otherwise

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812720#Comment_2812720

    The issues are her ability to condemn survivors.....it's hard to give them the Pips and too easy for them to remove them. Also when they grab a Tape survivors can still hold their items.....the tape magically gets put into a pocket dimension....she will need alot of work to not be put into the trash tier at the end of the PTB.....am I hopeful....yes a little...but past experiences prove otherwise

    Condemnation is where I'd want to look for tweaking her, yes, but even as she is she's not bottom of the barrel. This isn't a Trickster situation, she isn't completely awful. Just average.

  • Notice who's saying these things.

    Survivors are happy she has mobility and isn't focused on anti-loop (in fact, she has none at all, which you can debate on if it's good or bad). Killers are the ones saying "Wraith with extra steps" etc, like Nemesis was "Pyramid Head with extra steps" - you'll never, ever be able to please the vocal minority of complainers, but a lot of people seem happy with her overall design and just want her to have the Ghostface treatment of being buffed when she hits live.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812915#Comment_2812915

    Condemnation is where I'd want to look for tweaking her, yes, but even as she is she's not bottom of the barrel. This isn't a Trickster situation, she isn't completely awful. Just average.

    She doesn't know what she wants to be....does she want to be a wraith clone.....a Freddy clone......a Spirit clone......or something in-between.....I played a small bit of her and let's say..... Trickster.....is better....

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812916#Comment_2812916

    She doesn't know what she wants to be....does she want to be a wraith clone.....a Freddy clone......a Spirit clone......or something in-between.....I played a small bit of her and let's say..... Trickster.....is better....

    Trickster is probably better now but he was dramatically worse on his PTB, that's my point. He was legitimately awful on his PTB, and Sadako is pretty decent, solidly average.

  • To be fair, the killers who said they wanted a good killer who isn’t anti-loop aren’t complaining that Sadako can’t loop, they’re saying they like the idea of her but think she could use some buffs to make it easier for her to get Condemned stacks on survivors. They’re not specifically asking for help with her looping, they think her Condemned ability and maybe the cooldown on her TVs could use a boost.

    Personally I don’t know how good or bad she is, it’s way too soon to tell. If I had to guess I’d say she’s probably similar to Pig in terms of overall style - they’re both stealth killers able to get hits before a chase starts with inherent gen slowdown as part of their kit. Sadako has better mobility than Pig but Pig’s slowdown might be better at reliably keeping survivors off gens than Sadako’s curses (maybe?) And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, I actually really enjoy playing Pig personally so I’m looking forward to trying Sadako out simply because I like that playstyle. 🙂

  • @Zwergz112 said:

    After the Artist was released, an anti-loop Killer, good amount of Survivors said she was boring to face and were tired of anti-loop Killers. Some Killers said she was boring to use since she was anti-loop. Ringu Killer hits the PTB and since she's more map oriented and not an anti-loop Killers she's been deemed weak, "Wraith with extra steps" "Freddy plus Wraith" etc. So what is it that people want in a Killer?

    Because players want a Killer to have both. Players want killers to be able to mirror the players full potential of skill, where they can use their knowledge of map layout, pressure tactics, and mind games. Not just every Killer have counters that survivors use at the push of a button.

  • Ok so some of this is different people want different things out of their killers. I would suspect that the people complaining about Artist aren't the same people complaining about Ring Girl.

    Beyond that, I suspect that people want a killer who has at least a little more than base of all 3 "main" aspects of a killer. Map/Game Control, Anti Loop, and Lethality.

    Let's take a peek at the killers that people usually are very happy with... outside of some busted add ons.

    1. Huntress. She's got cross map hits for map control. Hatchets heavily punish Survivors who animation lock themselves at the wrong time and make some short loops very dangerous for Anti Loop. For Lethality, if you don't path well against a Huntress after your first hit, her range could result in you getting double tapped by hatchets and double that if she's running a haft add on for lethality.
    2. Hillbilly. A bit less now than before... but prior to his rework/nerf... people always said Billy was a very well designed killer. Chainsaw Sprint gives him all the mobility he needs to have good map pressure. Chainsaw can also force Survivors to throw pallets sooner than normal and break them quickly for anti loop. Chainsaw is an insta down so he's got the lethality too.
    3. Demogorgon also is considered a well designed character. Portals give him quite good map control. Shred is a pretty good anti loop power with the increased lunge and pallet breaking. For lethality, you do need to either run STBFL or Black Heart, but he's hands down the best user of STBFL in the game and Black Heart is a brown add on so you should be able to run it every game.
    4. Blight is another if you ignore some of his add ons. Obviously he's got bonkers mobility and map control. Lethal Rush can break pallets and creative bouncing can get hits at loops for anti loop. Blight also has above average lethality despite no base insta down or lower hit cool down simply because he can rush after the Survivor and make the post hit speed boost they get a lot less of a problem.

    Now... how does our newest killer fare in those 3 areas? Her control honestly looks like it might be the best in the game bar none. Her mobility with the TVs looks completely nuts and Condemned can make Survivors waste time to clear it. She's not really got any anti loop at all outside of being really short and a bit of phasing weirdness. For Lethality, unless you manage to down somebody with full Condemned you have none.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812926#Comment_2812926

    Trickster is probably better now but he was dramatically worse on his PTB, that's my point. He was legitimately awful on his PTB, and Sadako is pretty decent, solidly average.

    Ok I see your point....but still she needs alot of work to get out of the junk leagues lol

  • @Piruluk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812732#Comment_2812732

    Hit and run isnt viable anymore due to circle of healing.

    There might be a solution for that: Undying + TotH could prevent CoH on a high mobility killer like her.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2811914#Comment_2811914

    I think you're exaggerating. Could she use some tweaks? Sure. Is she unplayable? God no.

    She's been out for a day, nobody even knows how to play her yet. Calm down.

    It's not hard to see the problems already just from the basic fundamentals of this killer.

    It's another killer that needs specific perks to fix the issues rather than allowing variety thanks to the balance.

    The only thing we have yet to see is if they nerf or buff them for live and given the past performance from the devs I believe somehow even with the issues the killer has there's going to be something to nerf.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812736#Comment_2812736

    There might be a solution for that: Undying + TotH could prevent CoH on a high mobility killer like her.

    Except totem placement sucks so for the most part hex perks lose power within the first minute

  • For me, I love the Onryo's power. But I just wish her condemn was built up quicker or had steps that gradually debuffed survivors if it's going to take that long. That or make the video tapes reset 1 bar, not 2/3 of it. It just feels bad when paired with her meh chase potential.

  • Condemnation for sure is the main issue. She could be a Tombstone-lite killer but it's so easy to get rid of condemnation and so hard to build it up that the whole mechanic basically doesn't exist.

  • I say she has potential to be a decent killer.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2813039#Comment_2813039

    Except totem placement sucks so for the most part hex perks lose power within the first minute

    Thats why you need both of them. Undying shows you when a survivor is nearby and Thrill gives you more time to approach the survivor.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2813311#Comment_2813311

    Thats why you need both of them. Undying shows you when a survivor is nearby and Thrill gives you more time to approach the survivor.

    It only postpones it though not completely removes it like most people want cause right now the "perk=game" fix is really getting old

  • @Zwergz112 said:

    After the Artist was released, an anti-loop Killer, good amount of Survivors said she was boring to face and were tired of anti-loop Killers. Some Killers said she was boring to use since she was anti-loop. Ringu Killer hits the PTB and since she's more map oriented and not an anti-loop Killers she's been deemed weak, "Wraith with extra steps" "Freddy plus Wraith" etc. So what is it that people want in a Killer?

    A fun anti loop Killer. Blight has been their best designed killer imo. Fun to play and play against with a high skill cap.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2813474#Comment_2813474

    It only postpones it though not completely removes it like most people want cause right now the "perk=game fix is really getting old

    But it's better than nothing.

    If survivors want to use their boon, they'll waste a ton of time doing so.

  • 5 people want apples, 5 people want oranges. You get apples, the orange people complain. You get oranges, the apple people complain. You get appleanges, everyone complains because half-assed solution and no one gets what they wanted.

    Bottom line, there is always someone complaining and rarely will the content party come to express their complacency

  • @jesterkind said:

    The key to understanding the cosmic truth of the situation is...

    ...People aren't going to be happy with anything, and they're always going to complain. A similar thing happened recently; over and over people say they want a "game health chapter", but when we got a game health midchapter, people complained that there was "nothing in it".

    I remember ppl beeing very happy about the giant midchapter patch we got last time?

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812717#Comment_2812717

    I'd say she's definitely better than Legion, map traversal and a power that can down put her above them. If I were pressed to put her in a tier list based on super early initial impressions, I'd say she's low to mid C tier? She's alright, could use some tweaks.

    Low to mid C tier should never be okay. Imo all killers should be A tier or at least A tier when played properly.

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812720#Comment_2812720

    Low to mid C tier should never be okay. Imo all killers should be A tier or at least A tier when played properly.

    That is literally impossible by the very nature of how tier lists work.

  • if survivors split up and don't heal you don't have a power

  • @Zwergz112 said:

    After the Artist was released, an anti-loop Killer, good amount of Survivors said she was boring to face and were tired of anti-loop Killers. Some Killers said she was boring to use since she was anti-loop. Ringu Killer hits the PTB and since she's more map oriented and not an anti-loop Killers she's been deemed weak, "Wraith with extra steps" "Freddy plus Wraith" etc. So what is it that people want in a Killer?

    I personally find the artist amazingly entertaining. It's not just anti-loop. It's gen monitoring and (mild) gen control from anywhere. She's been my new main since release. I'm a good killer, not amazing but have no trouble hitting red rank 1 by reset every month. Mind you I play more for fun than to be ultra competitive as I've got an ungodly amount of hrs and the super sweat matches get old fast lol. But she can be oppressive in MANY ways other than shutting down loops.

  • @Maverick_74F said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/310698/help-me-understand-this

    A fun anti loop Killer. Blight has been their best designed killer imo. Fun to play and play against with a high skill cap.

    I wish I could get better with the Blight. The people that play blight well are very impressive. I'm never even upset if I get destroyed by a great blight lol. Too busy admiring the stuff they pull off.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    5 people want apples, 5 people want oranges. You get apples, the orange people complain. You get oranges, the apple people complain. You get appleanges, everyone complains because half-assed solution and no one gets what they wanted.

    Bottom line, there is always someone complaining and rarely will the content party come to express their complacency

    Great! Now I'm craving Appleanges... Thanks🙄