Bubba lost face

It turns out whiners and not only won? (

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @The_Daydreamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729260#Comment_2729260

    I dont want to take it even more far, but are you guys considering removing the Rainbow-Flag-Charm since people are getting harassed for using it? I personally got often facecamped and insulted as many disgusrting things just because I used this charm.

    With that logic I am kinda worried that we could lose it aswell.

    Removing would imply that Dbd is a safeground for homophobes.

  • @The_Daydreamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729260#Comment_2729260

    I dont want to take it even more far, but are you guys considering removing the Rainbow-Flag-Charm since people are getting harassed for using it? I personally got often facecamped and insulted as many disgusrting things just because I used this charm.

    With that logic I am kinda worried that we could lose it aswell.

    They didn't remove the Bubba masks because the people wearing the Bubba masks were being harassed, so you should be fine.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729816#Comment_2729816

    They didn't remove the Bubba masks because the people wearing the Bubba masks were being harassed, so you should be fine.

    True that. Thank you, I really was kinda worried for a second that we could lose the Flag-Charm aswell.

  • I've had LGBTQ and PoC streamers wearing the pride charm call me trash and tell me to kill myself on their stream for camping them during the end game collapse. Can we get rid of that charm too?

  • @Veinslay said:

    I've had LGBTQ and PoC streamers wearing the pride charm call me trash and tell me to kill myself on their stream for camping them during the end game collapse. Can we get rid of that charm too?

    Were the people using the Bubba mask to perpetuate racism black?

  • @Veinslay said:

    I've had LGBTQ and PoC streamers wearing the pride charm call me trash and tell me to kill myself on their stream for camping them during the end game collapse. Can we get rid of that charm too?

    They were ######### because they're trash people not because they're lgbt or poc.

  • @Veinslay said:

    I've had LGBTQ and PoC streamers wearing the pride charm call me trash and tell me to kill myself on their stream for camping them during the end game collapse. Can we get rid of that charm too?

    Report them for telling you to #########, the pride charm isn't at all related to this scenario, just them being an awful person. Unless they were telling you to do so just for being LGBT+.

    Don't use this as a time to be a thinly-veiled homophobe because it's so far from a good look we'll be thinking of colonising it in a few years

  • They're just 4 crappy mask cosmetics - 3 you wouldn't be able to tell apart from the default in a match and one that was used to be racist harassing people. You'd think Bubba himself is being removed with how upset people are over this.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729807#Comment_2729807

    Because specific exclusion of POC also looks bad from a PR standpoint outside of changing them all to accessories which would require a lot more negotiations than just "lol can we get rid of these please" this was the best case scenario.

    But that doesn't make sense.

    If this is about protecting poc than why would poc get angry at their removal. It's what they want. There should be zero PR ramifications for removing the offending masks.

    No one is offended by a white boy getting his face used as a mask, so there should be nothing stopping it. People are angry because a poc face mask exists. Remove it then. But it makes absolutely no sense to demand other people have something taken away.

    So unless you think anyone gives a ######### if a white male feels offended I don't see where the negative pr would be coming from.

    Deli style is a thickness of meat you get at delis. It's also a pretty simply joke... I don't see how you didn't get it. Deli style chicken, deli style ham, deli style Felix face. Perfect mask thickness.

  • And of course, no meaningful compensation. Here's some shards that anyone with lots of hours essentially has no use for. How about give us cells so we can buy a Bubba mask? Honestly this seems more like a scheme to make people buy bubba mask DLC since they're losing the free ones.

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    And of course, no meaningful compensation. Here's some shards that anyone with lots of hours essentially has no use for. How about give us cells so we can buy a Bubba mask? Honestly this seems more like a scheme to make people buy bubba mask DLC since they're losing the free ones.

    It's about removing a tool to be racist not to make more money

    Take off your tinfoil hat and have some ######### empathy good god

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729954#Comment_2729954

    I know you're responding to @GoodBoyKaru in the top portion but I feel the need to reply. You're misunderstanding. People aren't offended that a POC face mask simply "exists". People are upset being it's being used as a tool by racist players to harass and bully POC content creators. Which, I'm sure you'd agree, isn't okay.

    It isn't a good look to single out only one race from a PR standpoint. It's better to remove all of them rather then exclude the two masks.

    As for the deli meat, apologies for misunderstanding. I don't eat meat so I wouldn't get the reference.

    Can you please explain how it was used to harass PoC players?

  • I guess if the racists want to continue to be racist and harass people they just have to use the endgame chat. We all know BHVR doesn't bother policing that

  • This content has been removed.
  • I'd rather someone type it here in a resumed way than having to watch a video 36 minute video ngl.

    So I'll just make a simple question:

    Is someone using the smartface mask and facecamping a PoC considered racist?

  • Yes, it does. You either have one or you dont.

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    And of course, no meaningful compensation. Here's some shards that anyone with lots of hours essentially has no use for. How about give us cells so we can buy a Bubba mask? Honestly this seems more like a scheme to make people buy bubba mask DLC since they're losing the free ones.

    I think the shards are pretty sweet compensation. That's 2/3 of the shards to buy a new character right there, and most of a purple cosmetic. 6000 is a lot.

    They can't give out cells because they outright lose money in royalties if you use free cells to buy licensed content.

    @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729888#Comment_2729888

    Literally. People on here acting like making the game a more comofortable space for POC content creators is the end of the world.

    Very disheartening IMO.

    I don't like it because it signals to me that BHVR will take the route of removing content rather than actually fixing the issue that raging dickbags are allowed to rampage in their game for weeks or months on end before they finally get the axe, and are able to harass far too many players in the meantime. It strikes me as an unpleasant precedent on two levels, because I don't know what will end up on the chopping block for expediency's sake in the future, and I do know they're not looking to actually fix the problems with their community - and I'm skeptical that this will actually have any effect on reducing how much people will be harassed on the basis of what race they are or what character they're playing, because Smartface or no Smartface, they are still going to get matched with a racist #########, and that person will still act awful in the match and harass them in chat, on stream, et cetera.

    I want the racist ######### to have the hammer of God dropped on them immediately rather than losing everything that can conceivably be used in a racist way and going "Okay, we've fixed that problem now, everything is fine", and I want more resources put into the game's moderation to make this a reality, not band-aid solutions that take things away from the vast majority of players who were using them honestly.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730003#Comment_2730003

    I'd rather someone type it here in a resumed way than having to watch a video 36 minute video ngl.

    So I'll just make a simple question:

    Is someone using the smartface mask and facecamping a PoC considered racist?

    When they camp exclusively POC and go out of their way to do it exclusively to POC over several occasions yes.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730019#Comment_2730019

    When they camp exclusively POC and go out of their way to do it exclusively to POC over several occasions yes.

    Where is the proof that that person is exclusively camping PoC? Wouldnt they have to say it in end game chat?

  • @NoelleMina said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729625#Comment_2729625

    As I’ve stated in another post: I don’t have a problem with Smartface itself, I have a problem with people using it for racist intent. And yes, lore-wise, I know Bubba doesn’t care about the race of his victims. Horror movies/games are supposed to make people uncomfortable after all.

    But BHVR, as seen today, doesn’t want their game to be that uncomfortable.

    Since some people are using Smartface to be racist (combined with BHVR having a poor report system) it’s better to remove it asap. Don’t get me wrong, I do feel bad for the people who worked for these cosmetics and wish they got more than just shards. BHVR also needs to implement a much better report system to avoid this.

    For now, I just see they don’t want to give racists a tool (which is similar to black face, let’s be honest) and let them run.

    I don’t care if the harassment gets worse. At least these trolls will be easy to identify and no one playing as a black character is getting targeted with a Bubba using Smartface to be racist.

    I know it’s just a game, but normal people don’t play games to be racist.

    It's not right to rob killers from their visual or aural features just because some minority of bad people gives those features a wrong meaning. If some idiots suddenly start aggressively roleplaying as pedos while playing as Freddy - BHVR will do what, delete Freddy from the game?

    Still, even with the core idea of not wanting "to give racists a tool" there is no possible reason at all for them to remove Dwight's and Meg's masks. I guess you could make a stratched case for Jake as he's Asian, but you just can't do this argument for Dwight and Meg, especially given that Bubba's default mask (and both purple ones) is already white.

  • So if I play as Claudette I can get a killer banned for camping me by saying they were targeting me because of my character's race?

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730032#Comment_2730032

    Where is the proof that that person is exclusively camping PoC? Wouldnt they have to say it in end game chat?

    It's a lot of the same people, they will stream snipe POC to do it exclusively to them, and through reports of other POC and non-POC it's very obvious it's happening only to them. But people can continue to buy accounts and keep doing it, so outside of changing the masks to accessories which would require far more negotiations this is the best case scenario.

    It isn't about stopping racism, it's about taking away one of the tools.

  • The artist at BHVR that made the masks is happy they are being removed.

    https://twitter.com/EZE3D/status/1478429227699650579?t=yUIlYNJWMnsLz8IKZMIrWQ&s=19


  • I mean, it is 2022 what do you expect.

    Not going to comment or reply to anyone beyond that on this topic btw. These discussions always bring out the worst in people no matter of their opinion, so I never indulge anymore except in close circles.


    I dunno how this thread went btw and not going to read everything, but I wish that people can stay civil about it. Just wanted to say that.


    Peace out.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730003#Comment_2730003

    I'd rather someone type it here in a resumed way than having to watch a video 36 minute video ngl.

    So I'll just make a simple question:

    Is someone using the smartface mask and facecamping a PoC considered racist?

    It is if they are intentionally targeting the PoC for being PoC. Of course, it's very easy for them to feign innocence when accused because there's no reliable way to confirm this, allowing them to slip by under the radar undetected (or even detected, tbh).

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729956#Comment_2729956

    I think the shards are pretty sweet compensation. That's 2/3 of the shards to buy a new character right there, and most of a purple cosmetic. 6000 is a lot.

    They can't give out cells because they outright lose money in royalties if you use free cells to buy licensed content.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729896#Comment_2729896

    I don't like it because it signals to me that BHVR will take the route of removing content rather than actually fixing the issue that raging dickbags are allowed to rampage in their game for weeks or months on end before they finally get the axe, and are able to harass far too many players in the meantime. It strikes me as an unpleasant precedent on two levels, because I don't know what will end up on the chopping block for expediency's sake in the future, and I do know they're not looking to actually fix the problems with their community - and I'm skeptical that this will actually have any effect on reducing how much people will be harassed on the basis of what race they are or what character they're playing, because Smartface or no Smartface, they are still going to get matched with a racist #########, and that person will still act awful in the match and harass them in chat, on stream, et cetera.

    I want the racist ######### to have the hammer of God dropped on them immediately rather than losing everything that can conceivably be used in a racist way and going "Okay, we've fixed that problem now, everything is fine", and I want more resources put into the game's moderation to make this a reality, not band-aid solutions that take things away from the vast majority of players who were using them honestly.

    We have people on this forum with shards in the six figures. It's good for people who haven't played a long time. I have zero use for shards at this point. I don't care for any of the shard buyable cosmetics (the ones I like are strangely always cells only) and I have no use for the shrine as I have all perks. The next character will not be buyable with shards, either, and I own all current characters. So it doesn't really do anything for me.


    It should have been cells because YOU CAN'T BUY A BUBBA COSMETIC WITH SHARDS. I am fine with removing the mask but I think the compensation isn't fair and it should have just been 400 cells so people could go buy one of the pay for Bubba masks.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730039#Comment_2730039

    It's a lot of the same people, they will stream snipe POC to do it exclusively to them, and through reports of other POC and non-POC it's very obvious it's happening only to them. But people can continue to buy accounts and keep doing it, so outside of changing the masks to accessories which would require far more negotiations this is the best case scenario.

    It isn't about stopping racism, it's about taking away one of the tools.

    So, if they don't outright say it, people are just making assumptions. Sure, maybe they are doing that, I wouldn't doubt it, but it's still just an assumption.

    That's the problem I have with it. It's fine to remove things based on assumptions, but when people are targeting minorities, in a very direct way, in chat, a lot don't even get banned, even less perma banned. And I know this because being part of a minority myself and having crossplay off, I see a lot of the same people in my lobbies, and they're still there, even after being reported, with proof.

    I know moderators like to say that they do ban, but from seeing it personally, they do not ban all of them who get reported.

    I feel like it's just a lazy way to deal with the situation, than to actually have to do some work about it, by banning people who bluntly target minority groups in chat.

  • I wonder how many ppl here actually play Bubba

  • @Mandy said:

    It's not about "whiners" it's about the fact that these were proven to be used to harass our players in a hateful manner - that's not something we're going to support and we're certainly not going to make it easier for people to do this in our game.

    Then why are the more known sources of harassment not being addressed yeah its fine and dandy to have this being dealt with but it's a drop in the bucket compared to more known ones.

  • The masks being taken away won't stop people from targeting those groups. I am glad this will ease some of the issue, and I am sympathetic to those people who have had to deal with that BS, especially because we are in the year 2022.

    However, BHVR needs to implement a better report system because you can't assume someone is doing it for those specific reasons based on what they wear. Taking a "tool" away when you can easily camp and tunnel out the targeted person, is still just as bad. I don't think anyone will feel any less targeted simply because the killer isn't wearing that mask when they are told they are being tunneled because of the color of their skin on their character.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730048#Comment_2730048

    So, if they don't outright say it, people are just making assumptions. Sure, maybe they are doing that, I wouldn't doubt it, but it's still just an assumption.

    That's the problem I have with it. It's fine to remove things based on assumptions, but when people are targeting minorities, in a very direct way, in chat, a lot don't even get banned, even less perma banned. And I know this because being part of a minority myself and having crossplay off, I see a lot of the same people in my lobbies, and they're still there, even after being reported, with proof.

    I know moderators like to say that they do ban, but from seeing it personally, they do not ban all of them who get reported.

    I feel like it's just a lazy way to deal with the situation, than to actually have to do some work about it, by banning people who bluntly target minority groups in chat.

    This has been my experience too. Reported people for calling me the n word and other slurs in the endgame chat and they were still playing a few days later. It's a joke that BHVR is removing a cosmetic when they could just actually moderate the endgame chat or get rid of it and that would make a much more significant impact in cleaning up their community if they were actually interested in doing that. They aren't actually interested in doing that though, they're just caving to Twitter activists because they're a loud obnoxious bunch. In the meantime, us Bubba players are losing a really nice looking cosmetic (seriously, Smartface with the suit from Pretty Woman is one of the best cosmetic combinations in the game)

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730027#Comment_2730027

    We have people on this forum with shards in the six figures. It's good for people who haven't played a long time. I have zero use for shards at this point. I don't care for any of the shard buyable cosmetics (the ones I like are strangely always cells only) and I have no use for the shrine as I have all perks. The next character will not be buyable with shards, either, and I won all current characters. So it doesn't really do anything for me.

    It should have been cells because YOU CAN'T BUY A BUBBA COSMETIC WITH SHARDS. I am fine with removing the mask but I think the compensation isn't fair and it should have just been 400 cells so people could go buy one of the pay for Bubba masks.

    I'm Devotion 7 and I still hunger for shards. You need to have a lot of playtime before you've unlocked every character and every shard outfit on every character that interests you, and even then, they can be converted to bloodpoints, so they're never worthless, just worth less.

    I've already explained why giving cells out isn't a feasible decision on BHVR's part, even if it would serve as a more one-to-one compensation in this case. Ultimately, it's a free cosmetic that's being taken away and I understand that they're not giving paid compensation.

  • @Minecraft said:

    hahahaha might as well remove any black character from the game. good job, as always

    Strawman argument

  • This is a really dumb take on the issue. Most of the streamers who appear on this video admit that they just inmediatly DC against a smartface bubba without even seeing if he's being "racist". Again, they are DCing against someone wearing a certain cosmetic.

    Also, some of them are claiming stream sniping for being black when they don't have their twitch anywhere on their profile, did the killer just assumed they were a POC streamer? Yeah, sure. Seems like a lot of these people need a reality check, its a videogame

  • This thread made me sad.

  • Ahem

    Bubbas face cosmetics are an unhealthy part of the game that promote tunneling. Just a couple days ago I was playing Meg, and for this, I was tunneled + moried by a bubba. This is blatantly unfair mechanic that makes the overall experience worse.


    I rest my case.

  • @Tr1nity said:

    Ahem

    Bubbas face cosmetics are an unhealthy part of the game that promote tunneling. Just a couple days ago I was playing Meg, and for this, I was tunneled + moried by a bubba. This is blatantly unfair mechanic that makes the overall experience worse.

    I rest my case.

    Jokes on him, you don't get mask progress via moris

  • though that actually did happen.

    I would have got out too but my team didn’t open the door.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730145#Comment_2730145

    I don't think it's unreasonable to disconnect against a character wearing a cosmetic that is an unpleasant reminder of very real and very harmful racism. Even if the LF is just wearing it as a cosmetic and isn't racist, it's still something reminiscent of blackface which I'd imagine is very difficult to see as a black player.

    Should players also DC against Freddy because pedophilia makes them uncomfortable?

  • Removing the masks will not remove the racists or the harassers. Surely adding a Streamer mode/queue would be a REAL solution to stop targeted harassments and prevent hate stream snipers. BHVR is doing basically nothing while pretending they have ended racism.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730199#Comment_2730199

    Should players also DC against Freddy because pedophilia makes them uncomfortable?

    Don't you just love it when people pull out a completely unrelated topic to try to justify racism and racist behaviours.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730225#Comment_2730225

    Remind me where Freddy being a pedophile is visible in game in the same way LF's masks are.

    The reason remake Freddy was burnt was because he abused kids, so I'm pretty sure just by looking at him you can get reminded of that. So again, should people DC because looking at Freddy reminds them of child abuse?

  • @YuisPinkBob said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730225#Comment_2730225

    Don't you just love it when people pull out a completely unrelated topic to try to justify racism and racist behaviours.

    Where did I justify racism? Quote me on that please, or get lost.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730181#Comment_2730181

    How about just black people? "whites" and "asians" are not the correct comparisons here as they're lacking what makes the phrase in question sound demeaning; the presence of the definite article "the". It's othering and just unpleasant.

    You can do some further reading into it online, this was the first articule I could find: https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-the-blacks-the-gays-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

    mod removed my comment, but man idk, it took me a long damn time to get all the masks and we only get 6k shards for the time wasted. it'd make anyone annoyed. if black or asian content creators were targeted, and the blackface/yellowface bubba called them all sorts of names, just ban those guys instead of removing the masks...

  • @OceanMan said:

    Removing the masks will not remove the racists or the harassers. Surely adding a Streamer mode/queue would be a REAL solution to stop targeted harassments and prevent hate stream snipers. BHVR is doing basically nothing while pretending they have ended racism.

    It's more visible to remove the masks than to actually ban players who are racist, so it looks better on social media for some virtue signaling, while the harassment is still going on.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729954#Comment_2729954

    I know you're responding to @GoodBoyKaru in the top portion but I feel the need to reply. You're misunderstanding. People aren't offended that a POC face mask simply "exists". People are upset being it's being used as a tool by racist players to harass and bully POC content creators. Which, I'm sure you'd agree, isn't okay.

    It isn't a good look to single out only one race from a PR standpoint. It's better to remove all of them rather then exclude the two masks.

    As for the deli meat, apologies for misunderstanding. I don't eat meat so I wouldn't get the reference.

    You know that's even worse right? If all it takes is someone deciding a cosmetic was used to harass them to result in every single cosmetic on that lineup getting turfed genuine racists could empty the online shop in a week. You can't stop bigotry by taking things away. They WANT you to take things away. It's how they WIN.

    Their goal is to control you as much as possible. You're just empowering real racisim and punishing people who aren't. Genuine racists will figure something out to anger you with and get you to lash out at as many innocents as possible over it while doing nothing to them. That's what this is. No genuine racists gives a #########. They won.

    If someone wants to be racist taking the mask away changes nothing for them. They can still go and do what they do. They just won't have the mask. Still doesn't mean they can't intentionally slug and bleed out a streamer they don't like, regardless of race/sex/sexuality.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730199#Comment_2730199

    Should players also DC against Freddy because pedophilia makes them uncomfortable?

    I mean, if it genuinely bothered them, yeah? You don't ######### around with trauma. It's not something that someone needs to justify.

    DCing against X because of legitimate personal reasons isn't a big issue in the grand scheme of things. I remember hearing about someone who DCed when they loaded into Midwich because they had PTSD triggered by air raid siren sound that plays at the start and the exit gates. Can't fault anyone for that.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730257#Comment_2730257

    I've seen the remake 3 times. I'm a huge horror fan so I'm familar with Freddy's backstory.

    You're connecting completely unrelated dots here. We're discussing the LF masks and racism and you're repeatedly making it about things it's not (e.g. the pride flags, Freddy).

    You still havent replied to me, why are you dodging my question?

  • These kinds of topics always turn volatile...


    But I have to say, I think this is pretty... Low effort, I guess? Just getting rid of the mask won't get rid of the harassment, I suspect. Stricter moderation has been required for a very long time now, and this just feels hand-wavey.

    I also don't like this approach as a precedent. If racists organise somewhere and choose a different cosmetic or aspect to rally around and make into their new symbol, will that also be removed?

1 2 3 4 5