Removing the masks will not remove the racists or the harassers. Surely adding a Streamer mode/queue would be a REAL solution to stop targeted harassments and prevent hate stream snipers. BHVR is doing basically nothing while pretending they have ended racism.
Removing the masks makes it harder for them to be racist without blatantly being it. It will discourage some from doing it and it will make it easier to catch those who continue to be. Also BHVR aren't claiming that they've "ended racism", what they have done is make it harder for racists to be racist and removed something that was harming part of the community.
Making a streamer only queue wouldn't work. It would make queue times way longer for streamers, ruining their gameplay. It's not a feasible solution.
I mean, if it genuinely bothered them, yeah? You don't ######### around with trauma. It's not something that someone needs to justify.
DCing against X because of legitimate personal reasons isn't a big issue in the grand scheme of things. I remember hearing about someone who DCed when they loaded into Midwich because they had PTSD triggered by air raid siren sound that plays at the start and the exit gates. Can't fault anyone for that.
Thanks for not being afraid to reply to my question, I genuinely curious.
I agree that dcing against things that make them uncomfortable is fine, but I also think that people shouldnt set themselves for failure when they know a game has themes that might upset them.
Example, if I have a phobia of clowns, knowing this game has a clown, should I queue and just hope that I dont have to dc if I go against one?
I don't think it's unreasonable to disconnect against a character wearing a cosmetic that is an unpleasant reminder of very real and very harmful racism. Even if the LF is just wearing it as a cosmetic and isn't racist, it's still something reminiscent of blackface which I'd imagine is very difficult to see as a black player.
We can disagree on that, then. The moment smartface correlates even slightly to blackface then it would be justified to DC or be toxic against it. But as for now (and for ever, because it was removed) smartface has nothing to do with blackface.
Also, there are many things that could be triggering for people in this game, there are backstories of abuse, assault, murder and other real life, real issues. But it's a horror game after all, I don't think removing everything 0.1% of the community finds wrongfully offensive to be the way to go, but that's just my take on the issue.
Since you're so desperate for a response then sure. Someone's personal health comes before a video game. ALWAYS. If that means they need to avoid a certain character because it bring up trauma for them then so be it. I couldn't care less; people should do what's best for their wellbeing. I'll ALWAYS stand for that.
Is it irrelevant because you don't like how your answer could also be applied to other things that might upset people?
The LF mask was picked by racists because of it's obvious resemblance to blackface. That's what enabled it to be used in the way it was.
So please explain to me how all of the other cosmetics - take for instance Bunny Legion - are now under threat of being removed? This is just the slipperly slope fallacy. I.e. removing the masks leads to removing more cosmetics, and then more and eventually all! It's nonsense.
Its not slippery slope when it happens frequently. The mask was just easy pickings. If their goal is to harass a streamer, then nothing has changed for them.
If you let genuine racists control what you think is right and wrong then they still control your life. They still have power over you. Look at how the pepe meme almost became a nazi thing despite the creator being firmly against it. If actual racist want something to be seen as offensive they will get you angry enough to demand it's destruction.
In short I don't need to tell you have bunny legion is offensive. You'll be explaining it to me if they ever pick it.
Removing the masks makes it harder for them to be racist without blatantly being it. It will discourage some from doing it and it will make it easier to catch those who continue to be. Also BHVR aren't claiming that they've "ended racism", what they have done is make it harder for racists to be racist and removed something that was harming part of the community.
Making a streamer only queue wouldn't work. It would make queue times way longer for streamers, ruining their gameplay. It's not a feasible solution.
Streamer mode: hide other players names and characters before game
Streamer queue: delays matchmaking while searching (behind the scenes, delay randomly what batch matchmaking you join) so people can't queue snipe easily. Not a Streamer only queue.
I still think both of these would have more of an impact than removing cosmetics, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Where did I justify racism? Quote me on that please, or get lost.
You have tried to derail this thread multiple times by bringing up random, unrelated topics like coulrophobia and paedophilia.
You are actively trying to take the focus away from the harm that Leatherface's masks created by refusing to accept that they needed to go and by constantly attempting to make the decision seem absurd and unreasonable by equating it to things that are completely unrelated to it.
You have tried to derail this thread multiple times by bringing up random, unrelated topics like coulrophobia and paedophilia.
You are actively trying to take the focus away from the harm that Leatherface's masks created by refusing to accept that they needed to go and by constantly attempting to make the decision seem absurd and unreasonable by equating it to things that are completely unrelated to it.
I'm not derailing anything by giving examples of how removing masks fixes nothing.
Idc if they're gone, I'm saying the devs are lazy on how they address harassment.
You know just because you don't agree with someone else, doesn't make them a racist right? Calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a racist is pathetic.
OK this is going around in circles now and being taken really off topic.
The feedback with regards to the removal of these masks has been heard...and I emphasis we're removing these down to the way they've been used within the game and that hatefulness like that, has no place in our game, or on our forum.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Removing the masks makes it harder for them to be racist without blatantly being it. It will discourage some from doing it and it will make it easier to catch those who continue to be. Also BHVR aren't claiming that they've "ended racism", what they have done is make it harder for racists to be racist and removed something that was harming part of the community.
Making a streamer only queue wouldn't work. It would make queue times way longer for streamers, ruining their gameplay. It's not a feasible solution.
Thanks for not being afraid to reply to my question, I genuinely curious.
I agree that dcing against things that make them uncomfortable is fine, but I also think that people shouldnt set themselves for failure when they know a game has themes that might upset them.
Example, if I have a phobia of clowns, knowing this game has a clown, should I queue and just hope that I dont have to dc if I go against one?
We can disagree on that, then. The moment smartface correlates even slightly to blackface then it would be justified to DC or be toxic against it. But as for now (and for ever, because it was removed) smartface has nothing to do with blackface.
Also, there are many things that could be triggering for people in this game, there are backstories of abuse, assault, murder and other real life, real issues. But it's a horror game after all, I don't think removing everything 0.1% of the community finds wrongfully offensive to be the way to go, but that's just my take on the issue.
I wasn't comparing the phobia of clowns to racism, I'm sorry that you read it that way.
Is it irrelevant because you don't like how your answer could also be applied to other things that might upset people?
THE WRAITH NEEDS TO BE REMOVED ASWELL. Hear me out.
The wraith used to be an African (Philip Ojomo From Nigeria) He canTarget and harass a Felix Richter (Blond Hair Blue eyed boy from Germany).
This is also racism and needs to be adressed.
See what i did there?
Nonsense only if it suits you.
So...they did it.
#########
Now I am disappointed.
EDIT: Deciding to take a peek on whats happening on the Forums only to stumble across...this, was very unpleasant.
Its not slippery slope when it happens frequently. The mask was just easy pickings. If their goal is to harass a streamer, then nothing has changed for them.
If you let genuine racists control what you think is right and wrong then they still control your life. They still have power over you. Look at how the pepe meme almost became a nazi thing despite the creator being firmly against it. If actual racist want something to be seen as offensive they will get you angry enough to demand it's destruction.
In short I don't need to tell you have bunny legion is offensive. You'll be explaining it to me if they ever pick it.
Streamer mode: hide other players names and characters before game
Streamer queue: delays matchmaking while searching (behind the scenes, delay randomly what batch matchmaking you join) so people can't queue snipe easily. Not a Streamer only queue.
I still think both of these would have more of an impact than removing cosmetics, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.
It's only irrelevant when it doesn't fit the narrative that you're trying to present, get it. This is obviously not going anywhere.
You have tried to derail this thread multiple times by bringing up random, unrelated topics like coulrophobia and paedophilia.
You are actively trying to take the focus away from the harm that Leatherface's masks created by refusing to accept that they needed to go and by constantly attempting to make the decision seem absurd and unreasonable by equating it to things that are completely unrelated to it.
I'm not derailing anything by giving examples of how removing masks fixes nothing.
Idc if they're gone, I'm saying the devs are lazy on how they address harassment.
You know just because you don't agree with someone else, doesn't make them a racist right? Calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a racist is pathetic.
OK this is going around in circles now and being taken really off topic.
The feedback with regards to the removal of these masks has been heard...and I emphasis we're removing these down to the way they've been used within the game and that hatefulness like that, has no place in our game, or on our forum.