I don’t think devs realize how strong stretch res is

So I tried stretch res for the first time after 400h+ being a nurse main on 1080x1080 and I was shocked how strong it is.

  • It almost entirely removes nurse fatigue.
  • For survivors, it is stronger because you can see so much more above structures.

When I got back to native res, it felt so claustrophobic, mostly for survivor. I am not going to stay on stretch res because I am a good nurse, I don’t need it (even if it would make me way stronger there is no point denying that) but are the dev ever going to do something against that ? Did they ever talk about it ?


Now I understand why survivors are complaining about nurse at high mmr, but at the same time it’s unfair against legit nurse playing without stretch. And it’s the same for killers complaining about survivors at high mmr being able to loop them easily, you don’t know if they stretch but you assume they do when sometimes they don’t and outskilled you. But you can’t know and that’s why stretch res has to go, so we can all play the same game because right now we have dbd stretch (easy mode) vs dbd native (hard mode).

Comments

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708718#Comment_2708718

    They're just video game developers, nobody is coddling them you're just pretending people do.

    Defending them as "a small indie company" to justify why they don't do such things as fix the resolution being changed also altering how much of the screen is drawn, which is a pretty basic expectation for any game that wants restricted FOV, is coddling them. Not fixing things like this is indefensible. Doing balance passes with big lump changes in three-month increments isn't necessitated, and it's probably just exacerbating problems. Especially when a lot of the balance changes end up being numerical adjustments, which hardly take any time at all.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708734#Comment_2708734

    Stretch Res just ain't the problem players think it is. Me pointing out they don't have the man power to fix it isn't coddling.

    It literally breaks Ghost Face's power having making him become revealable past walls that he normally can't be revealed through.

    Let alone some fair pallets become unmindgamable god pallets with stretch rez.

  • I suspect the developers do not care.


    It is essentially a high mmr problem so it's not something they devote a lot of time or resources to address.



    FIlters are completely different from seeing more screen. Anybody who has been revealed over a wall as ghostface knows this. You can actually tease out if someone is using stretched res by the way they move. If someone is easiest to catch by following their path exactly then they are most likely a stretch resolution user. If you use every mind game possible and no matter what they do not fall for it then that's a pretty clear indication they can see more than they should.


    There is a guy who works for the ATF who can recognize more than 200 distinct shades of green. He can identify plants containing THC by just looking at their color while flying overhead. This is a crazy example but it goes to show that there is a great deal of difference between how good your eyes might be when compared to mine.


    One of the things filters do is equalize how well you see certain colors vs how well I see certain colors. In other words filters allow the user to customize the experience so the scene is easy on the eyes and allows them to stay competitive with people who otherwise have a natural sight advantage.


    Imagine for example if you wanted to play a new basketball game that looked up your information from a registry. Imagine being limited in height by your real world max height. In a sense having variable color filters allows users to equalize their height so our eyes can all be seven feet tall and on an equal playing field.


    What would be the difference then if everyone had stretch resolution by default? Many killers cant really make use of stretched resolution. It would benefit all survivors and only a few select few killers. That does not create a level playing field.

  • DBD is the last game you would need to take seriously, as even what's in the game makes the game unfair to both sides, the stretched screen is a problem, yes, but that's just a part of it, we know the game is full. of possibilities of making someone win a game without deserving it, in fact I don't even know if there is a win or lose in that game.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708745#Comment_2708745

    That's a ghostface problem & not a stretched res problem.

    <_> its a problem ghost face has because of stretch rez...

    People have literally shown that by turning stretch rez on and off without changing their camera and were able to only reveal GF though for example auto haven walls with stretch rez on.

    So...What are you even talking about?

  • It negates ghostface entirely. It's cheating no different from giving yourself a 5% speed boost with a program.

  • It's insane to me that there are still people defending stretch res at this point. Like do you really need that big of crutch?

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708745#Comment_2708745

    That's a ghostface problem & not a stretched res problem.

    It's a problem created by people being able to see over walls they shouldn't. I don't know how you think that's a problem with ghostface, when the power would work as intended if people could only play the game at a supported aspect ratio.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708760#Comment_2708760

    The devs should have accounted for stretched res when designing his power is what I'm getting at.

    Why

    Not

    Disable it instead? It's not hard. Most games do not have this sort of weird camera abuse.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708765#Comment_2708765

    They can see over the walls bcuz BHVR is an indie company, like I said, that doesn't have the man power to fix everything.

    If they don't have the manpower (with over eight hundred employees) to manage basic resolution functions, they're in the wrong business.

    This is not a hard or demanding thing to fix. Why are you defending it like it's a total game rewrite?

  • To keep the thread going, another thing I hate about this features on PC is that NVidia filters or whatever it is that enhances a lot the brightness...

    While in consoles you barely can see anything in some maps

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708778#Comment_2708778

    You and everyone else expecting the devs to just up & fix stretched res have too high expectations for an indie company & then call them lazy or out of their practice when they don't deliver. If it's not that hard then why haven't they fixed it?

    Because they have incomprehensible priorities.

    "Why have they not fixed the thing that someone has demonstrated is a checkbox in the unity engine" (I believe that was already in the thread) is totally mystifying. Even if they had to do it themselves, it's not like the logic is complicated: take the intended aspect ratio and resolution, check which side is too long, and work out how much of it you need to fill to keep the correct aspect ratio. Pillar/letterbox the result.

    It ISN'T a hard thing to do, which is why this is confusing.

  • Is BHVR indie level to this date? Considering the amount of licensed they're acquiring nowadays...

  • @DBDVulture said:

    I suspect the developers do not care.

    It is essentially a high mmr problem so it's not something they devote a lot of time or resources to address.

    FIlters are completely different from seeing more screen. Anybody who has been revealed over a wall as ghostface knows this. You can actually tease out if someone is using stretched res by the way they move. If someone is easiest to catch by following their path exactly then they are most likely a stretch resolution user. If you use every mind game possible and no matter what they do not fall for it then that's a pretty clear indication they can see more than they should.

    There is a guy who works for the ATF who can recognize more than 200 distinct shades of green. He can identify plants containing THC by just looking at their color while flying overhead. This is a crazy example but it goes to show that there is a great deal of difference between how good your eyes might be when compared to mine.

    One of the things filters do is equalize how well you see certain colors vs how well I see certain colors. In other words filters allow the user to customize the experience so the scene is easy on the eyes and allows them to stay competitive with people who otherwise have a natural sight advantage.

    Imagine for example if you wanted to play a new basketball game that looked up your information from a registry. Imagine being limited in height by your real world max height. In a sense having variable color filters allows users to equalize their height so our eyes can all be seven feet tall and on an equal playing field.

    What would be the difference then if everyone had stretch resolution by default? Many killers cant really make use of stretched resolution. It would benefit all survivors and only a few select few killers. That does not create a level playing field.

    you can detect stres res in survivor specator mode if the survivor looks down on a floor while looping. They're doing that because stret res increases vertical field of view. Red glows filters also big problem for killers because it gives too much precise information for where killer is in a loop without vision of the killer. It reduces a lot of possible mindgames that killer can employ.

    You can't really tell if survivor is using filters or stret res as killer. only as survivor spectator mode.

    stret res and red glow filters make me question if survivor had perks like shadowborn and perks to enhance red glow or give minor amount of reliable aura reading in chase, would these perk be extremely meta?

  • @BadLooperQ said:

    Is BHVR indie level to this date? Considering the amount of licensed they're acquiring nowadays...

    They twice the size of Fromsoftware(Dark souls Devs).

    So if they aren't indie then neither are BHVR.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708778#Comment_2708778

    You and everyone else expecting the devs to just up & fix stretched res have too high expectations for an indie company & then call them lazy or out of their practice when they don't deliver. If it's not that hard then why haven't they fixed it?

    Indie company? DBD is on the top 10 most played games on Steam now, and it's popular on console as well. BHVR was indie back in 2016/17, 2021 DBD is a big game.

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708734#Comment_2708734

    Stretch Res just ain't the problem players think it is. Me pointing out they don't have the man power to fix it isn't coddling.

    Did you really just say they don't have the man power to click a god damn button?

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708793#Comment_2708793

    Whoever posted that video isn't a dbd dev, they don't know how their game is programmed. While it does use Nvidia doesn't mean it's as simple as checking off a box

    It's programmed in unity which is exactly what the dude posts you can Google this dude

    I also love how you keep calling them a small indie company when they are the biggest game developer in Canada that's hilarious

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708816#Comment_2708816

    What are your direct sources from BHVR that all it takes is a single click to fix stretched res?

    I'm the source in that I've worked on indie games in countless game development studios have you? Any modern engine has the feature as a button

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708820#Comment_2708820

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708821#Comment_2708821

    When did I call them a small indie company? I said they're an indie company. Why should I believe non BHVR employees about stretched res? Time & time again this community proves they're petty & will say anything to make someone look bad(like stretched res not being fixed)

    Would you go to the doctor and tell them you aren't sick when they say you are?

    I'm telling you I've worked on indie games before I've already mentioned I worked on risk of rain 2 and other similar games

    If they are using a engine made within the last 10 years then it has to be a button

    This isn't a argument this is a fact

    Oh btw ik they have to be because the game only came out in 2015 when it's been a standard function in unreal and unity since 2010

    Again you can say I'm wrong and believe whatever you want but ik the truth and just because you don't wanna accept the facts doesn't make them wrong

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708828#Comment_2708828

    You worked on RoR2!? I love that game, it's one of my most played :D

    But my point on them not fixing it because it's more complicated than a single click still stands. They'd have fixed stretched res by now if it was literally that simple.

    Yes I very much enjoyed working on it, its still one of my most played games asides from dbd

    My favorite part was probably the bazaar between time

    You know the place you go to buy lunar items I just loved the look and atmosphere of it

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708828#Comment_2708828

    You worked on RoR2!? I love that game, it's one of my most played :D

    But my point on them not fixing it because it's more complicated than a single click still stands. They'd have fixed stretched res by now if it was literally that simple.

    Also I just wanna point out that it took them 5 years to change a number on trapper from 1 to 2

    Sometimes it really is that simple

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708734#Comment_2708734

    Stretch Res just ain't the problem players think it is. Me pointing out they don't have the man power to fix it isn't coddling.

    They have way more then enough manpower to fix à lot of stuff in the game, you just dont seem to see it

    But maybe its for the better

    Maybe itll keep you happy for à while

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708853#Comment_2708853

    They had to collect 5 years of data to see if that change was necessary, that's probably why it took them that long.

    It took them this long because they have people like you, who defend them when they refuse to do even the most simplest of tasks.

  • @ReviloDBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2707930#Comment_2707930

    I don't understand this video :( it's just a ton of laughing..

    You see how as he stretches it the map gets bigger and shows more stuff and distorts?

    Then you notice when he checks maintain aspect ratio it stays the same size regardless

    That's all they would have to do to fix it

  • @BreadTube said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708897#Comment_2708897

    I had no idea I had that kinda power. I'll use it to get pig that well deserved nerf next.

    Nooooooooo Amanda has already had enough...

  • They don't care, it's as simple as that. Anything that doesn't make money, they don't care about.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Easy solution - dont care about stretched resolution.

    Sure, it should be fixed. But it will not be fixed, at least not anytime soon. So why should I care about stretched resolution? For most cases, you dont know if the Survivor or Killer used stretched resolution and there is no way of proving it. You can only assume. And why should I get worked up on something I cannot prove anyway?

    The only way to know if someone is using stretched res if they are a streamer. And most of the time I just have a good laugh if I see that Blight-player with his Blight in the lobby who is more wide than tall and think "Oh my, stretched res of doom" and thats all.

    IMO caring about this is just a waste of time. You will have a bad mood without any way of changing anything about stretched res or even knowing if they are actually using it.

    I mean you are right with that but the fact that you literally cannot mindgame survivors that use it is a huge deal, its not something you can ignore when you cant catch that guy unless you have blood lust 5.

  • While stretched res does give advantages to both killer and survivor, I don't understand how one could play it for a long time. I tried it before and by the time I'm done, I had a massive headache.

  • This video needs all the likes. Shame the decision makers who refuse to check the box to restrict aspect ratio.

  • It isn't that they don't realize. Its that they are powerless to stop it. There is no way to stop something like stretch resolution. The developers lose this by default. Sorry.

  • @mynameisBlade said:

    It isn't that they don't realize. Its that they are powerless to stop it. There is no way to stop something like stretch resolution. The developers lose this by default. Sorry.

    it is literally proved otherwise in this thread.

    Changing the resolution the game renders at doesn't mean the game should automatically show more in some direction or other; they are indeed quite capable of having it draw a fixed aspect ratio regardless of the resolution the game runs at.

  • @ObscurityDragon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708201#Comment_2708201

    They could have more time to fix everything if they didnt fekt like oushing à New chapter per 3 monthes and tons of cosmetics, just saying 😇

    Cosmetics is a different department. They have nothing to do with those things.

  • @ThanksForDaily said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708225#Comment_2708225

    Cosmetics is a different department. They have nothing to do with those things.

    They bring more money in, they are probably the most wealthy part of the game RN

    And as long as it stays like that BHVR will put more money and care with the cosmetic tezm then the bugfixing one

  • People still touting the "indie company" lie when BHVR's the biggest game studio in Canada.. :P

  • Filters actually create a more fair playing field than not.


    Without filters, you game visibility is determined entirely by the quality, and settings of your monitor. So if you have a $700 monitor with an incredible set of post process settings that allow you to dramatically increase image visibilty compared to some dude with $50 monitor you are at a drastic advantage because you spent more money on hardware.

    Using filters lets the dude with the $50 monitor get a comparable visual experience, even if he is lacking g/freesync and image quality/refresh rate compared to the $700 monitor dude still.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2709964#Comment_2709964

    it is literally proved otherwise in this thread.

    Changing the resolution the game renders at doesn't mean the game should automatically show more in some direction or other; they are indeed quite capable of having it draw a fixed aspect ratio regardless of the resolution the game runs at.

    Life finds a way.

  • @LoneSlinger said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2709127#Comment_2709127

    You see how as he stretches it the map gets bigger and shows more stuff and distorts?

    Then you notice when he checks maintain aspect ratio it stays the same size regardless

    That's all they would have to do to fix it

    Hmm, I guess it was difficult to understand what was happening visually, but I don't really understand this kind of stuff too well.. Thank you for explaining, though I must ask, was what he was showing really THAT funny?

    I mean, it sounded like it was supposed to be the funniest thing that I may have ever seen in my life, if it's truly that funny then I wish I could understand the joke better lol. Unless the laugh was being exaggerated. It was just such an intense amount of laughing lol

  • @LoneSlinger said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708826#Comment_2708826

    Would you go to the doctor and tell them you aren't sick when they say you are?

    I'm telling you I've worked on indie games before I've already mentioned I worked on risk of rain 2 and other similar games

    If they are using a engine made within the last 10 years then it has to be a button

    This isn't a argument this is a fact

    Oh btw ik they have to be because the game only came out in 2015 when it's been a standard function in unreal and unity since 2010

    Again you can say I'm wrong and believe whatever you want but ik the truth and just because you don't wanna accept the facts doesn't make them wrong

    majority of people dont even know how to printout hello world :)

    but they act as they are senior developers and most likely phd experts on covid19

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Fog Whisperers have been asked to not use it. not_Queen, community manager, has explicitly said that they don't like it.

    Dont like it but doesnt do anything to solve it.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Easy solution - dont care about stretched resolution.

    Sure, it should be fixed. But it will not be fixed, at least not anytime soon. So why should I care about stretched resolution? For most cases, you dont know if the Survivor or Killer used stretched resolution and there is no way of proving it. You can only assume. And why should I get worked up on something I cannot prove anyway?

    The only way to know if someone is using stretched res if they are a streamer. And most of the time I just have a good laugh if I see that Blight-player with his Blight in the lobby who is more wide than tall and think "Oh my, stretched res of doom" and thats all.

    IMO caring about this is just a waste of time. You will have a bad mood without any way of changing anything about stretched res or even knowing if they are actually using it.

    if i am a fellow survivor who escaped or was killed and i spectate, i can tell who is stretched if they end up in chase. They usually hug the walls tight and look at the floor. ######### is lame & unfair to the killers. Props to the more popular YouTubers who used to do it, but stopped at the request of their fans. They adopted & adjusted accordingly. I still suspect some of them using Smurf accounts to bully low levels for content though.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2708353#Comment_2708353

    Hm, it's kind of questionable. You're going outside the program to set it to a display mode it should never be in, in order to gain an unfair advantage in the game (that outright nullifies certain powers in ways it really shouldn't). It might not be banworthy, but ethically it would be cheating, surely?

    Filters are fine (especially Nvidia ones because BHVR have to manually allow those, which they have).

  • I use stretch res. It genuinely makes the game look better and it makes it easier to play. Why wouldn't I use it? Because people say it's cheating? The same people that hate noed, dead hard, the meta and everything else? The same community that will mock me in post game chat for winning or losing when I'm on killer? The same community that imposes an unwritten etiquette just to bully new killers?

    Yeah why would I spend two seconds limiting my enjoyment of the game because the most toxic community I've ever played with told me that I'm rude to do so.

  • @RiskyKara said:

    I use stretch res. It genuinely makes the game look better and it makes it easier to play. Why wouldn't I use it? Because people say it's cheating? The same people that hate noed, dead hard, the meta and everything else? The same community that will mock me in post game chat for winning or losing when I'm on killer? The same community that imposes an unwritten etiquette just to bully new killers?

    Yeah why would I spend two seconds limiting my enjoyment of the game because the most toxic community I've ever played with told me that I'm rude to do so.

    Everything being a distorted aspect ratio looks better? Uhhuh, sure.

    It's basically cheating regardless of how much you think people being jerke makes that fine. Because everyone not playing with a broken resolution has to suffer for YOUR need to have an uncounterable, invisible advantage.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2715076#Comment_2715076

    Everything being a distorted aspect ratio looks better? Uhhuh, sure.

    It's basically cheating regardless of how much you think people being jerke makes that fine. Because everyone not playing with a broken resolution has to suffer for YOUR need to have an uncounterable, invisible advantage.

    I'm honestly fine with using it regardless if I can justify it through the cruelness of my fellow players. Even if people were perfectly kind, I'd still be using it. It's just one extra layer of 'I don't owe anyone anything.'


    And yes I'm not lying when I say that I think it looks aesthetically better. I'm already admitting I also like the advantage it gives, why would I later have to lie about liking how it looks on top of that? I don't have to hide that I like it for functionality purposes. I like that extra head room. 16:9 feels claustrophobic as heck, and I know this is a horror game but after so many hours you just don't feel fear anymore. The gameplay loop is all that matters.


    image.png image.png


  • @RiskyKara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2715079#Comment_2715079

    I'm honestly fine with using it regardless if I can justify it through the cruelness of my fellow players. Even if people were perfectly kind, I'd still be using it. It's just one extra layer of 'I don't owe anyone anything.'

    And yes I'm not lying when I say that I think it looks aesthetically better. I'm already admitting I also like the advantage it gives, why would I later have to lie about liking how it looks on top of that? I don't have to hide that I like it for functionality purposes. I like that extra head room. 16:9 feels claustrophobic as heck, and I know this is a horror game but after so many hours you just don't feel fear anymore. The gameplay loop is all that matters.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/6JYX3MJ2OL47/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/33RC6T46CA0Q/image.png

    The bare minimum you owe people in an online game is not being a selfish cheater who cheats. If winning is that important, go find a singleplayer game.

  • @RiskyKara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2715079#Comment_2715079

    I'm honestly fine with using it regardless if I can justify it through the cruelness of my fellow players. Even if people were perfectly kind, I'd still be using it. It's just one extra layer of 'I don't owe anyone anything.'

    And yes I'm not lying when I say that I think it looks aesthetically better. I'm already admitting I also like the advantage it gives, why would I later have to lie about liking how it looks on top of that? I don't have to hide that I like it for functionality purposes. I like that extra head room. 16:9 feels claustrophobic as heck, and I know this is a horror game but after so many hours you just don't feel fear anymore. The gameplay loop is all that matters.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/6JYX3MJ2OL47/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/33RC6T46CA0Q/image.png

    DBD is wild in that you can come on the forums and admit to cheating and even brag that you like cheating and nothing will happen to you

    Try that in any other game forum and so how long before you get banned

  • Careful man, pointing out someone admitting to cheating is naming and shaming!!

1 2 3