Asking the dev team to actually do something about the BM at exit gates #1

Specific: T-Bagging

What is worse than a sore loser? A sore winner. As Killer you can't do anything to stop them from leaving. In a few cases the overestimate and get caught, but that good feeling does not erase the other times when they just tease you.

I read many times, that you can just ignore it or don't go to the exit gates. If ignoring it would help, there would not be daily complains about it. And if you don't go to the exit gates, you have to stand somewhere waiting until they leave, a complete time waste.

I am proposing to change that, so you can't crouch at the exit gates and in an area around it, because everybody knows, survivor will just find a way to exploit it.

Nobody would be harmed. It has only positive aspects.

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • @BaldursGate2 said:

    Specific: T-Bagging

    What is worse than a sore loser? A sore winner. As Killer you can't do anything to stop them from leaving. In a few cases the overestimate and get caught, but that good feeling does not erase the other times when they just tease you.

    I read many times, that you can just ignore it or don't go to the exit gates. If ignoring it would help, there would not be daily complains about it. And if you don't go to the exit gates, you have to stand somewhere waiting until they leave, a complete time waste.

    I am proposing to change that, so you can't crouch at the exit gates and in an area around it, because everybody knows, survivor will just find a way to exploit it.

    Nobody would be harmed. It has only positive aspects.

    I would never go to the gate unless you have blood warden and you can manage to get a kill.. but if they have gotten gens done and it was a bad game for me I just leave them to it. I don't go near the gate once all gens are done and it is open unless I know or feel I will get one kill or two. there is no point in going near the gate. not wasting my time but their own :)

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683766#Comment_2683766

    I'm pushing 50.

    I started gaming on arcade machines and playing chess on ancient green and black monitors.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683834#Comment_2683834

    You're strawmanning.

    In the context of what we are discussing, there is no difference between yelling a slur at someone and deliberately belching in their face (following your own example).

    In both cases, you are acting in a deliberately nasty manner to make someone else unhappy for your own personal enjoyment.

    That is the long and short of it.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683863#Comment_2683863

    The core issue is that toxicity propagates outwards.

    Someone BMs me in games 1 and 2, so I go into games 3 through 10 out to hurt people. Which gives them a miserable experience, leading them to be BM - and on it goes, ad infinitum.

    Tit for tat is one of the most powerful human responses.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683943#Comment_2683943

    Honestly, I'm inclined not to believe you - because your conduct on the forums (ranging from being disingenuously contrarian to deliberate, Sluzzy-esque flamebaiting minus the self parody) does indicate either a tendency towards extracting enjoyment from annoying people or a blistering lack of self awareness. Not trying to be mean, just saying what I've observed. There is a reason why a lot of people lose their temper with you, Iron.

    That said...this is true of a lot of people who engage in toxic behavior. They aren't even really aware of it anymore - which is why a warning system can be so effective at letting them know 'hey, you are spoiling things for a lot of people - knock it off'.

    And see - that's the thing. It's not a matter of being 'offended' (lets not bring that culture war crap into this) - it's a matter of sportsmanship. Having a decent, sportsmanlike community or at least building your game towards encouraging this is what determines whether you end up as League of Legends or Smite.

    But I'm always amazed at how much effort people will spend shifting the blame...rather than just mannering up.

    I've actually suggested something closer to the Overwatch 'endorsement' system, where you'd be able to give good, non-toxic opponent some sort of reward.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683996#Comment_2683996

    You're...either totally missing or deliberately trying to twist what Sherbert was trying to say.

    Let me see if I can paraphrase here:

    Just because something happens in an online game and is almost possible to completely prevent does not mean that you shouldn't bother trying - because both hacking and toxicity make your game a lot less enjoyable for a ton of people.

    I'm 49, didn't figure there were many people even close to my age playing this game. lol. I've been seeing t-bagging since BF2 and Halo.

    Anyway, I really think this game with be better off giving Survivors and Killers taunts, somewhat similar to League of Legends. If there are more ways to BM, then BMing has less meaning.

  • @lordfart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2682941#Comment_2682941

    Nah mate, if you don't understand how to differentiate between rudeness and harassment, you're the one who cant be helped lol

    When you have to resort to semantic nitpicking in an argument, you've probably already lost.

    @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684074#Comment_2684074

    I find being told I am strawmanning offensive. You are clearly acting in a deliberately nasty manner for your own amusement. That's just the long and short of it.

    Ditto when you resort to puerile copycatting.

    @Sonzaishinai said:

    T-bagging can be incredebilly frustrating and humiliating. I agree with that.

    Thing is that it's in human nature to cause eachother suffering. Especially if they can do it anonymously.

    There is no escaping this and there is nothing you can do to stop it. We are just wired this way.

    We need to set boundaries for what's right and what's wrong to still be able to survive but you need to build up some mental fortitude. You can't fully stop people from hurting eachother.

    If t-bagging really triggers you so much you need to find a way to process and deal with it. Cause you will have a mental breakdown if something actual serious happens.

    Much like having to eat healthier if your immune system is failing. Diseases won't hold back if you are struggling with your health. The natural toxic human behaviour won't either. So you need to find a way to shield yourself from that danger. Cause it won't go away on it's own

    Fatalism is mostly just another word for apathy. There are plenty of ways to discourage this, or to encourage more positive behavior - and other games have managed some pretty amazing turnarounds in this regard.

    'Mental fortitude' doesn't work the same way you think it does. That's mostly about being able to control your actions no matter what you are feeling. Being able to struggle on and continue to do your job despite being massively depressed and the like.

    Controlling feelings isn't really possible. That's not how human beings operate on a neurological level.

    @lordfart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684641#Comment_2684641

    As someone who has often been on the receiving end of harassment and racial abuse both irl online, yes in-game rudeness in the form of innocuous character movements is a million times nicer than being maliciously and personally attacked. If this is the hill you're gonna die on so be it, but tea bagging is not and will never be considered egregious enough an action to be a bannable offence.

    TL;DR Unsportsmanlike conduct =/= abuse & harassment.

    Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about…?") is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy, which attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving the argument.[1][2][3]

    Sigh.

    @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684074#Comment_2684074

    I'm 49, didn't figure there were many people even close to my age playing this game. lol. I've been seeing t-bagging since BF2 and Halo.

    Anyway, I really think this game with be better off giving Survivors and Killers taunts, somewhat similar to League of Legends. If there are more ways to BM, then BMing has less meaning.

    Most of my online gaming was on PC, with the first online games (outside of Lans) being Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2 on our terrible dial-up connection.

    And no, I don't think the answer to toxicity is more toxicity. Fighting fire with fire is an easy way to burn the entire house down.

    @burt0r said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685050#Comment_2685050

    Same principle as flipping someone off in El sports, only that the offender there gets some form of penalty which is absent in video games thanks to online anonymity.

    Old people like us still got taught some manners, see the similarities and think that such rude behaviour should not be condoned and instead of telling the offended to "deal with it", we would love it if the offender would get some consequences for their (however subjective significant) actions.

    Also i would call people that taunt behind pallets or in the exit cowards. They can only show balls if they feel save, behind a pallet, at the exit line or in general behind an online alias.

    I'm not sure if a penalty is the answer here - I'd rather see the carrot than the stick. Some system to encourage better sportsmanship maybe.

    @burt0r said:

    But damn i see like only 4-5 people in this thread that seem to have had an upbringing with getting taught some manners and stick to them even hidden behind an online alias.

    Way too many people let themselves go once consequences are of the table thanks to online anonymity.

    Edit: oh and also i hope that none of the people that say "deal with it/ignore it/grow thicker skin" get ever offended by hitting on hook, camping,tunneling or slugging. 2 of those even hold in game efficiency.

    It's probably because my primary fields are psychology and education, and I've seen a lot of young people who play a ton of online games getting conditioned into thinking that antisocial behavior is somehow acceptable if you can do it anonymously and they really need this as an outlet for their own negative feelings, or who are struggling because their hobby of choice is full of jerks.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684629#Comment_2684629

    When you have to resort to semantic nitpicking in an argument, you've probably already lost.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684823#Comment_2684823

    Ditto when you resort to puerile copycatting.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684797#Comment_2684797

    Fatalism is mostly just another word for apathy. There are plenty of ways to discourage this, or to encourage more positive behavior - and other games have managed some pretty amazing turnarounds in this regard.

    'Mental fortitude' doesn't work the same way you think it does. That's mostly about being able to control your actions no matter what you are feeling. Being able to struggle on and continue to do your job despite being massively depressed and the like.

    Controlling feelings isn't really possible. That's not how human beings operate on a neurological level.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684664#Comment_2684664

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

    Sigh.

    At this point t the only way to get you to read what I type is by mimicking you, otherwise you can't seem to get past the first sentence. What else am I supposed to do?

    Also, sighing? Again? You realize that is being hypocritical right? You are literally betraying your own arguments by doing that. I mean, I realize you've stopped reading by now because what I am typing doesn't look like your own statements but come on at least try to stick to your own moral code.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685286#Comment_2685286

    At this point t the only way to get you to read what I type is by mimicking you, otherwise you can't seem to get past the first sentence. What else am I supposed to do?

    Also, sighing? Again? You realize that is being hypocritical right? You are literally betraying your own arguments by doing that. I mean, I realize you've stopped reading by now because what I am typing doesn't look like your own statements but come on at least try to stick to your own moral code.

    I read what you typed and I gave my counter.

    All you've been doing is essentially strawmanning/red herring-ing people's arguments - generally by shifting the focus of the argument to semantics (in a sort of whatabouty way). Nobody is saying that teabagging is the same as yelling slurs at someone - they are just giving examples of negative behavior that are difficult to completely prevent but are worth disincentivizing. In both cases, someone is extracting entertainment by spoiling another persons experience.

    Rather than responding to it, you just made a bad attempt at parody.

    And...no, expressing exasperation on a forum isn't BM. Nowhere in my 'code' (which I'd say is pretty much just the standard 'social contract' stuff) does it say that you can't get exasperated or point out fallacies.

    If the game had a 'dammit' or 'frustration' emote, that would be the equivalent.

  • I smack them out, free bloodpoints

  • Can´t believe this thread got so long... i guess a lot of people don´t have real problems in real life.

    A game is only a game. Whatever any players does has absolutely no effect in real life...

  • @Nathan13 said:

    can't believe how many people seriously get offended with people teabagging/ flashlight clicking like those survivors are horrible people. Some of you probably should be staying away from online games like Ironknight said.

    It's probably because they could be (I said could, not definitely are) terrible people. Teabagging, in real life, has been a part of sexual assaults and hazing rituals. As one example, a while ago I read a thread from someone who was complaining that real life teabagging now met real life charges because that interfered with their hazing. Now, before people say I'm saying something I'm not, of course real world tbagging is far worse but the arguments defending virtual teabagging are also the exact same that were used to defend gamers saying they were going to ######### someone or they raped that team. Real world ######### was far worse of course but how do you think real world ######### victims felt after being told they were going to be virtually raped? It's a comparable situation.

    Whether someone is being a terrible person for doing it depends a lot on the circumstances. Is it with friends who have no negative connotations with it and they all are fine with it? Or is it being done to a stranger where you have no idea what they have been through and the only purpose is to make the other person miserable?

    If the second, then there are three possibilities (a) you're a younger teenager or have the maturity level of one and one day you'll realize being a jerk on the internet isn't a good thing to aspire to and will stop (b) you don't understand or (c) you are, in fact, being a terrible person.

    I don't think it's going to change anytime soon but just how gaming moved away from saying they were going to ######### the other person it will move away from tbagging. However, if everyone is apathetic about something nothing ever changes.

    As for the other taunts (flashlight clicking, come here, points, etc) it's better to be a good sport but, if you're going to taunt, at least don't do it referring an activity that has been used in real world sexual assaults.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685298#Comment_2685298

    I read what you typed and I gave my counter.

    All you've been doing is essentially strawmanning/red herring-ing people's arguments - generally by shifting the focus of the argument to semantics (in a sort of whatabouty way). Nobody is saying that teabagging is the same as yelling slurs at someone - they are just giving examples of negative behavior that are difficult to completely prevent but are worth disincentivizing. In both cases, someone is extracting entertainment by spoiling another persons experience.

    Rather than responding to it, you just made a bad attempt at parody.

    And...no, expressing exasperation on a forum isn't BM. Nowhere in my 'code' (which I'd say is pretty much just the standard 'social contract' stuff) does it say that you can't get exasperated or point out fallacies.

    If the game had a 'dammit' or 'frustration' emote, that would be the equivalent.

    My argument is that using racism and ######### as examples is wrong since they are absolutely different things than being rude.

    Your counter was to insist I am defending being rude or a jerk because I recognize there is a massive difference between being a hateful racist and being immature.

    You, unhappy that I am not arguing that it's okay to be a jerk, repeatedly say I am because it validates your righteous indignation.

    You are now, and have been, attempting to attack people emotionally in an attempt to make them agree with you out of fear of social shame. "Sigh" has and always has stood to be condescending. You know this, that's why your trying to defend it. You don't want to be held accountable for your behaviour. Crazy considering the topic huh? There is literally no other point to le Sigh at people.

    The only reason for comparing an action to racism or ######### is to force a correlation between disagreement with you and agreement with those actions. There is no other reason to use it. People have been able to discuss this topic just fine without acting that way. Yet you are defending it. Which by your own statements, means that you frequently correlate anyone who disagrees with you with agreeing with racism.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685334#Comment_2685334

    My argument is that using racism and ######### as examples is wrong since they are absolutely different things than being rude.

    Your counter was to insist I am defending being rude or a jerk because I recognize there is a massive difference between being a hateful racist and being immature.

    You, unhappy that I am not arguing that it's okay to be a jerk, repeatedly say I am because it validates your righteous indignation.

    You are now, and have been, attempting to attack people emotionally in an attempt to make them agree with you out of fear of social shame. "Sigh" has and always has stood to be condescending. You know this, that's why your trying to defend it. You don't want to be held accountable for your behaviour. Crazy considering the topic huh? There is literally no other point to le Sigh at people.

    The only reason for comparing an action to racism or ######### is to force a correlation between disagreement with you and agreement with those actions. There is no other reason to use it. People have been able to discuss this topic just fine without acting that way. Yet you are defending it. Which by your own statements, means that you frequently correlate anyone who disagrees with you with agreeing with racism.

    Yes. I'm saying that this argument is a red herring. That's my exact point.

    Nobody is arguing qualitative equivalency. That's what you are doing, and it's either an intentional or unintentional derailing of the argument. Ie. A red herring.

    They are arguing that both of these things come from a similar place - a desire to extract enjoyment from making other people miserable, and this sort of behavior spoils the experience when it creeps into your hobby. That's the entirety of the point being made. Everything else is being added by you.

    Here, again, you are derailing the argument. 'Sigh' is a common shorthand to express exasperation in an online discussion. It's not an attempt to 'socially shame' anyone (wut) or be condescending. You are attempting to twist this into some sort of personal slight to - again - derail the discussion at hand.

    That said (let's assume your perspective, which I still maintain is wrong); we aren't in a match here - we are having a discussion on a forum. Different standards of behavior apply.

    Again, people aren't trying to say 'teabagging someone in a videogame is the same as being a bigot'. That is a meaning that you've taken, and ran with. People are applying the 'man up or get off the internet' logic to other examples of bad behavior to demonstrate the problems with that logic.

    Finally, as an aside - it's...pretty odd to see someone saying 'if you are annoyed by teabagging in a game it's a you problem' and then saying 'I'm being triggered by the word 'sigh'. You can't have it both ways.

  • @Marc_123 said:

    Can´t believe this thread got so long... i guess a lot of people don´t have real problems in real life.

    A game is only a game. Whatever any players does has absolutely no effect in real life...

    But it does affect real life because there is a real person behind the other screen and the more real problems they have the more it would affect their mental health. So why be a jerk?

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685446#Comment_2685446

    But it does affect real life because there is a real person behind the other screen and the more real problems they have the more it would affect their mental health. So why be a jerk?

    A lot of jerks in the world. WIll probably never change. And again i come to lack of sportsmanship nowadays. If you win you don´t need to make fun of the loser on top.

    In real sports you are considered an absolute douchebag doing stuff like that...

  • @Marc_123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685504#Comment_2685504

    A lot of jerks in the world. WIll probably never change. And again i come to lack of sportsmanship nowadays. If you win you don´t need to make fun of the loser on top.

    In real sports you are considered an absolute douchebag doing stuff like that...

    I think a lot of it is generational. It's something that a lot of faculty members complain about, especially those of us who've been teaching for a very long time.

    Kids growing up with online gaming get conditioned into negative behavior patterns/apathy by the ability to act like a jerk to people without any consequences. It's...something that society is going to have to deal with eventually - but that's a much bigger discussion.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685518#Comment_2685518

    I think a lot of it is generational. It's something that a lot of faculty members complain about, especially those of us who've been teaching for a very long time.

    Kids growing up with online gaming get conditioned into negative behavior patterns/apathy by the ability to act like a jerk to people without any consequences. It's...something that society is going to have to deal with eventually - but that's a much bigger discussion.

    Missing consequences. That is the point.

    You could say our parents educated us better :-)

  • @Marc_123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685562#Comment_2685562

    Missing consequences. That is the point.

    You could say our parents educated us better :-)

    So if someone teabags in a video game it means their parents failed educating them? L M A O

  • @Marc_123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685562#Comment_2685562

    Missing consequences. That is the point.

    You could say our parents educated us better :-)

    It wasn't necessarily parental discipline (although that's a part of it - I have a ton of issues with modern 'touchy-feely' parenting and discipline). It's more the fact that society and the 'social contract' has never caught up to the internet.

    This was fine 20 years ago, when gaming was still pretty niche and you'd still generally be out and about in the world, getting jostled around by the Brownian Motion of society at large and learning that being a gigantic smelly dingus is likely to get you into trouble.

    Now - so many kids spend the entirety of their free time playing online games and this definitely sets them up for failure and maladjustment, especially when those games teach them that they can act obnoxious without suffering any negative results because of this.

    And I say this as a massive gamer.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685568#Comment_2685568

    So if someone teabags in a video game it means their parents failed educating them? L M A O

    No, not t-bagging. Being an a.. to a killer (or anyone) who already lost.

    In fact you should never be an a.. to other people. But thats my opinion - and my education.

    Always treat someone like you want to be treated.

  • @Oscarnator said:

    I wonder how sad someone's life has to be to get so upset at a crouch animation in a party game.

    I wonder how sad someones life has to be to feel the need to tbag others and even try to justify it in a party game.

  • Let us killers once the exit gates are opened give up. Simple

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685615#Comment_2685615

    If you are saying people should be aborted maybe you should be banned.

    Whatever, IDC at this point, it's the same discussions day in, day out, and a waste of my time anyway. You are literally defending BM and saying that anyone who BMs hasn't had any sort of failure in education, and it seems from this thread that it's a common theme. Not really a community worth being a part of, if you ask me.

  • @JPA said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685617#Comment_2685617

    Whatever, IDC at this point, it's the same discussions day in, day out, and a waste of my time anyway. You are literally defending BM and saying that anyone who BMs hasn't had any sort of failure in education, and it seems from this thread that it's a common theme. Not really a community worth being a part of, if you ask me.

    I'm not defending BM. Nowhere in my posts I defended it. I don't do it. But comparing BM in a video game to having no parental education and saying someone should have been aborted because they teabag, is a bit much. It's not that deep.

  • @JPA said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685617#Comment_2685617

    Whatever, IDC at this point, it's the same discussions day in, day out, and a waste of my time anyway. You are literally defending BM and saying that anyone who BMs hasn't had any sort of failure in education, and it seems from this thread that it's a common theme. Not really a community worth being a part of, if you ask me.

    I believe the original offending post has already been moderated, but it needs to be said regardless: You are all over the place and the extremes are gross.

    Seek help.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685568#Comment_2685568

    So if someone teabags in a video game it means their parents failed educating them? L M A O

    Possibly. I have a elementary aged son and, when he was playing online ( supervised and a children's game) he laughed at someone. I asked him not to do that and reminded him of when that happened to him and how bad he felt. He has never done it since so he has a better standard of conduct online than some older gamers even though he's still in elementary school.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685464#Comment_2685464

    Yes. I'm saying that this argument is a red herring. That's my exact point.

    Nobody is arguing qualitative equivalency. That's what you are doing, and it's either an intentional or unintentional derailing of the argument. Ie. A red herring.

    They are arguing that both of these things come from a similar place - a desire to extract enjoyment from making other people miserable, and this sort of behavior spoils the experience when it creeps into your hobby. That's the entirety of the point being made. Everything else is being added by you.

    Here, again, you are derailing the argument. 'Sigh' is a common shorthand to express exasperation in an online discussion. It's not an attempt to 'socially shame' anyone (wut) or be condescending. You are attempting to twist this into some sort of personal slight to - again - derail the discussion at hand.

    That said (let's assume your perspective, which I still maintain is wrong); we aren't in a match here - we are having a discussion on a forum. Different standards of behavior apply.

    Again, people aren't trying to say 'teabagging someone in a videogame is the same as being a bigot'. That is a meaning that you've taken, and ran with. People are applying the 'man up or get off the internet' logic to other examples of bad behavior to demonstrate the problems with that logic.

    Finally, as an aside - it's...pretty odd to see someone saying 'if you are annoyed by teabagging in a game it's a you problem' and then saying 'I'm being triggered by the word 'sigh'. You can't have it both ways.

    No, I'm really not.

    Your argument is that people should just be civil and polite, but you are constantly attempted to chip away at people emotionally to get them to agree with you or became emotionally unstable.

    Otherwise know as manipulation. It's also why you keep defending doing it.

    That's why you keep brushing it aside. It's why no matter how many times I say I'm not defending anything you keep saying I do. Your goal is to make me emotionally unstable so I will agree with you or leave. I never once said your last paragraph because I don't believe in it. Yet here you are, again, openly accusing me of saying something I didn't, all to get an emotional reaction from me. It's why you also used the word triggered. Your goal with these words is to attack me emotionally, to harm my ego.

    This is why you're a hypocrite at best and a troll at worst.

    I never once said being harassed is a you problem, I said making any comparison to racism and ######### is wrong and people need to stop doing it. You are the one who keeps insisting otherwise.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684629#Comment_2684629

    When you have to resort to semantic nitpicking in an argument, you've probably already lost.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684823#Comment_2684823

    Ditto when you resort to puerile copycatting.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684797#Comment_2684797

    Fatalism is mostly just another word for apathy. There are plenty of ways to discourage this, or to encourage more positive behavior - and other games have managed some pretty amazing turnarounds in this regard.

    'Mental fortitude' doesn't work the same way you think it does. That's mostly about being able to control your actions no matter what you are feeling. Being able to struggle on and continue to do your job despite being massively depressed and the like.

    Controlling feelings isn't really possible. That's not how human beings operate on a neurological level.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684664#Comment_2684664

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

    Sigh.

    Uh it's not semantic nitpicking since my entire argument is contingent on there being a stark difference between crappy sportsmanship and abuse. Not really sure why you linked me to whataboutism considering I never once accused that person of hypocrisy? They asserted that tea bagging is harassment, I outlined why I disagree with that by alluding to my anecdotal experience with real harassment. That's not whataboutism lol

  • If you really want to do something about it, run Blood Warden. There's nothing better than watching the smug little ######### stop dead in their tracks when they realize they should have run out the gates thirty seconds ago instead of standing there so they can T-bag you.

    Bonus points for NOED. I've been known to turn 1K into 4K every once in a while thanks to those perks alone.

    Do remember it's just a game, though. It's nothing to really get upset about. (Hell, I T-bag at the gates when I play survivor.)

  • @lordfart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685286#Comment_2685286

    Uh it's not semantic nitpicking since my entire argument is contingent on there being a stark difference between crappy sportsmanship and abuse. Not really sure why you linked me to whataboutism considering I never once accused that person of hypocrisy? They asserted that tea bagging is harassment, I outlined why I disagree with that by alluding to my anecdotal experience with real harassment. That's not whataboutism lol

    Except that the issue being discussed isn't a semantic one. It's about videogame toxicity. Different words have different definitions in different contexts - and 'harassment' in a videogame might not perfectly fit with 'harassment' IRL. That doesn't mean it's not something worth trying to reduce.

    And yes - it's whataboutism. You're raising a different issue (IRL harassment) rather than discussing what everyone else is. Whataboutism isn't necessarily about hypocrisy (and if you want to be technical, pointing out hypocrisy isn't whataboutism unless it's disingenuous - see below), and I was tired of saying 'red herring'.

    @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685502#Comment_2685502

    No, I'm really not.

    Your argument is that people should just be civil and polite, but you are constantly attempted to chip away at people emotionally to get them to agree with you or became emotionally unstable.

    Otherwise know as manipulation. It's also why you keep defending doing it.

    That's why you keep brushing it aside. It's why no matter how many times I say I'm not defending anything you keep saying I do. Your goal is to make me emotionally unstable so I will agree with you or leave. I never once said your last paragraph because I don't believe in it. Yet here you are, again, openly accusing me of saying something I didn't, all to get an emotional reaction from me. It's why you also used the word triggered. Your goal with these words is to attack me emotionally, to harm my ego.

    This is why you're a hypocrite at best and a troll at worst.

    I never once said being harassed is a you problem, I said making any comparison to racism and ######### is wrong and people need to stop doing it. You are the one who keeps insisting otherwise.

    And this is more the sort of whataboutism you are referring to. Note how nothing I said is being addressed, and instead he's trying to turn it around.

    What is interesting is how someone did a complete 180 from defending ingame toxicity to accusing me of...I don't even know. Making him feel guilty?

  • I know it's a long shot, but hear me out: what if you could grow some skin and learn how to ignore people on the internet?

    Seriously, are you gonna blame the whole world if the winter is too cold for your liking?

    Jeez, what a whiny generation it is.

  • @Xayrlen said:

    I know it's a long shot, but hear me out: what if you could grow some skin and learn how to ignore people on the internet?

    Seriously, are you gonna blame the whole world if the winter is too cold for your liking?

    Jeez, what a whiny generation it is.

    7 pages in and this is the comment you muster? You are just like the BM'ing survivors, you need to be heard no matter how meaningless your cries for attention are.

  • @Xayrlen said:

    I know it's a long shot, but hear me out: what if you could grow some skin and learn how to ignore people on the internet?

    Seriously, are you gonna blame the whole world if the winter is too cold for your liking?

    Jeez, what a whiny generation it is.

    It's...sort of amazing how the literal only response to this is blame shifting.

    No. If someone is being a jerk, then it is their fault for being a jerk. Not other people's fault for being annoyed at the jerk.

    If someone was manufacturing the winter, I'd certainly be giving them a call. But that's a...silly analogy.

    You act like there is nothing that could be done to encourage better sportsmanship.

    See, some of us work for a living and spend our days dealing with pretty difficult situations and individuals, as well as taking care of our families and all the other little gripes and irritations that wear you out as an adult.

    When we come home to finally enjoy our hobby, I don't think that it's beyond reasonableness to expect to enjoy it without the chud patrol showing up to spoil things.

  • Wow... this thread is still going on...

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2686763#Comment_2686763

    Except that the issue being discussed isn't a semantic one. It's about videogame toxicity. Different words have different definitions in different contexts - and 'harassment' in a videogame might not perfectly fit with 'harassment' IRL. That doesn't mean it's not something worth trying to reduce.

    And yes - it's whataboutism. You're raising a different issue (IRL harassment) rather than discussing what everyone else is. Whataboutism isn't necessarily about hypocrisy (and if you want to be technical, pointing out hypocrisy isn't whataboutism unless it's disingenuous - see below), and I was tired of saying 'red herring'.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685729#Comment_2685729

    And this is more the sort of whataboutism you are referring to. Note how nothing I said is being addressed, and instead he's trying to turn it around.

    What is interesting is how someone did a complete 180 from defending ingame toxicity to accusing me of...I don't even know. Making him feel guilty?

    Maybe you should read what he typed. Might clue you on to what he is saying.

  • @Marc_123 said:

    Wow... this thread is still going on...

    It's...a pretty contentious topic that is getting a lot of play right now, likely due to the current influx of new players from Epic encountering this community for the first time.

    @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688242#Comment_2688242

    Maybe you should read what he typed. Might clue you on to what he is saying.

    I did.

    He's trying to make a point that ingame harassment/rudeness isn't the same as IRL harassment/rudeness, and my response is basically 'duh, but I've never claimed that it was'.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688342#Comment_2688342

    It's...a pretty contentious topic that is getting a lot of play right now, likely due to the current influx of new players from Epic encountering this community for the first time.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688428#Comment_2688428

    I did.

    He's trying to make a point that ingame harassment/rudeness isn't the same as IRL harassment/rudeness, and my response is basically 'duh, but I've never claimed that it was'.

    No. He claimed that the escalation of comparisons had become inappropriate and you repeatedly accused him of defending in game toxicity.

    Like. You trolled him good so bravo and all but wow. I can't believe you're still dragging this out.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688435#Comment_2688435

    No. He claimed that the escalation of comparisons had become inappropriate and you repeatedly accused him of defending in game toxicity.

    Like. You trolled him good so bravo and all but wow. I can't believe you're still dragging this out.

    Ah, the internet. Where any opinion you agree with is genius and any opinion you don't agree with can be safely dismissed as trolling.

    But okay, look at this from my perspective.

    Someone does something objectively negative. Someone else comes in and shifts the blame from that person to the people annoyed at what he did. This can only be construed as defending (or at least being apologist for) person #1's behavior.

    What other rational explanation could there be for choosing this hill to die on? There's no benefit that I can see unless person #2 is either toxic themselves, or thinks that it's somehow a positive thing.

    What detriment would there be to this person in taking steps to discourage this kind of activity.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688460#Comment_2688460

    ...What?

    No, seriously, either you didn't phrase this correctly or I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

    By this logic, we are both in agreement. We aren't.

    Do you mean 'isn't blue it's green'?

    In which case, that's silly. This isn't an a priori situation. It's a matter of opinion - we both have our stances and we are defending them.

    That's the point.

    You inserted yourself into an argument that two other people were having. The topic was that certain things are not okay to escalate comparisons to.

    You then decided that because someone disagrees with teabagging being compared to serious and violent crimes, he must be defending im game toxicity as you put it.

    He then said, repeatedly, that he wasn't and his argument was that the comparison was wrong, not that being a jerk is okay. You then proceeded to ignore that and repeatedly accuse him of it while becoming increasingly passive aggressive about it.

    You now want to argue you both read what was typed and are not a troll.

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688460#Comment_2688460

    But he's objectively correct and the only one actually arguing in good faith instead of being a BMer who just wants their fun to stay?

    No, he isn't.

    He is either trolling or arguing for the sake or arguing.

    As I pointed out to him, if someone argues the sky is blue, and his response is "No the sky isn't green it's blue" how can it be seen as anything other than trolling.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688465#Comment_2688465

    That's the point.

    You inserted yourself into an argument that two other people were having. The topic was that certain things are not okay to escalate comparisons to.

    You then decided that because someone disagrees with teabagging being compared to serious and violent crimes, he must be defending im game toxicity as you put it.

    He then said, repeatedly, that he wasn't and his argument was that the comparison was wrong, not that being a jerk is okay. You then proceeded to ignore that and repeatedly accuse him of it while becoming increasingly passive aggressive about it.

    You now want to argue you both read what was typed and are not a troll.

    No, I posted on a thread on a public forum expressing my opinion on a topic that I'm quite passionate about currently. The title of the thread has nothing to do with escalation.

    My point was that the 'escalation' argument is a red-herring - rather than dealing with the actual topic at hand, he was tone policing.

    All you are doing here is ad-homming and it's...sort of pointless.

    You also do not seem to have read what I typed.

    If you want to talk about this topic further, I'd be happy to. Otherwise, I'm not going to get baited into a silly internet insult fest.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688464#Comment_2688464

    No, he isn't.

    He is either trolling or arguing for the sake or arguing.

    As I pointed out to him, if someone argues the sky is blue, and his response is "No the sky isn't green it's blue" how can it be seen as anything other than trolling.

    It's funny you think disliking being a toxic rude awful person is a troll.

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688473#Comment_2688473

    It's funny you think disliking being a toxic rude awful person is a troll.

    No, I think accusing someone repeatedly of something they never did is being a troll.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688472#Comment_2688472

    No, I posted on a thread on a public forum expressing my opinion on a topic that I'm quite passionate about currently. The title of the thread has nothing to do with escalation.

    My point was that the 'escalation' argument is a red-herring - rather than dealing with the actual topic at hand, he was tone policing.

    All you are doing here is ad-homming and it's...sort of pointless.

    You also do not seem to have read what I typed.

    If you want to talk about this topic further, I'd be happy to. Otherwise, I'm not going to get baited into a silly internet insult fest.

    No, you replied to a post that someone typed in direct response to another post and commented on it without understanding what was being commented on in the first place and laid out a heavy handed accusation.

    You then proceeded to accuse the person of defending toxicity despite never having done that, going so far as to stick words in their mouth.

    "it's...pretty odd to see someone saying 'if you are annoyed by teabagging in a game it's a you problem'"

    He never said this or endorsed this. Only that escalating a comparison to such extremes isn't okay. Yet here you putting words in his mouth.

    Once again. You either never read anything they typed, or you're a troll. Which one is it.

    You're behaviour really seems like a troll who didn't expect me to be so blunt about it. If you want to turn tail that's your choice, but the fact you seem to do everything in your power to ignore the whole. Part where you accused him of something he didn't do really seems like your a troll who probably should have quit while they are ahead.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688480#Comment_2688480

    No, you replied to a post that someone typed in direct response to another post and commented on it without understanding what was being commented on in the first place and laid out a heavy handed accusation.

    You then proceeded to accuse the person of defending toxicity despite never having done that, going so far as to stick words in their mouth.

    "it's...pretty odd to see someone saying 'if you are annoyed by teabagging in a game it's a you problem'"

    He never said this or endorsed this. Only that escalating a comparison to such extremes isn't okay. Yet here you putting words in his mouth.

    Once again. You either never read anything they typed, or you're a troll. Which one is it.

    You're behaviour really seems like a troll who didn't expect me to be so blunt about it. If you want to turn tail that's your choice, but the fact you seem to do everything in your power to ignore the whole. Part where you accused him of something he didn't do really seems like your a troll who probably should have quit while they are ahead.

    Sigh.

    *Rubs temples*. I think this is quickly becoming a pointless exchange.

    He very much said that in other responses earlier in the thread.

    "No it's literally as easy as ignoring them. If it bothers you that much then go do something else while this is happening? Or perhaps find a hobby thay doesn't involve interacting with strangers?"

    "Because it's laughable. If you can't ignore it like most people you should stop playing PvP games and stick to solo experiences. You clearly can't handle something as weak as a random person pressing a button at you so perhaps it's time to find something you do have enough resilience for."

    I could go on.

    How is that not exactly what I said? It's just blame shifting. And - yes - when you are defending toxicity by blame shifting, then I'm going to wonder what your motivation is. Are you just being contrarian, or do you have a vested interest?

    Anyway, I've wasted enough virtual ink repeating myself endlessly to you so I'm going to go and do something more productive than bang my head against this wall. If you actually want to have a discussion, again, we can - but this is a waste of time.

    PS: Don't assume offense on behalf of other people, especially in a thread where you are criticizing people for being 'too soft'. It's...not a good look.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688480#Comment_2688480

    No, you replied to a post that someone typed in direct response to another post and commented on it without understanding what was being commented on in the first place and laid out a heavy handed accusation.

    You then proceeded to accuse the person of defending toxicity despite never having done that, going so far as to stick words in their mouth.

    "it's...pretty odd to see someone saying 'if you are annoyed by teabagging in a game it's a you problem'"

    He never said this or endorsed this. Only that escalating a comparison to such extremes isn't okay. Yet here you putting words in his mouth.

    Once again. You either never read anything they typed, or you're a troll. Which one is it.

    You're behaviour really seems like a troll who didn't expect me to be so blunt about it. If you want to turn tail that's your choice, but the fact you seem to do everything in your power to ignore the whole. Part where you accused him of something he didn't do really seems like your a troll who probably should have quit while they are ahead.

    I'm sorry but you are coming across as a troll. I don't believe that's your intention but you're not understanding what other people are saying and you're jumping to conclusions (eg. when you told me I was saying you were defending rudeness and, yet, in the post you quoted I specifically said that you were not condoning rudeness).

    To use another example that I used many years ago and I saw you used something similar in another post if people are to argue about if the sky is blue, first, they need to agree on what is the definition of blue. Without agreeing on that basic definition, any discussion is futile. I think that's why you're coming across as ad hominem'ing and using semantics. I don't think that's your intent either; I'm just pointing out why it could be looked at that way in case there's any chance that could help.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688532#Comment_2688532

    Sigh.

    *Rubs temples*. I think this is quickly becoming a pointless exchange.

    He very much said that in other responses earlier in the thread.

    "No it's literally as easy as ignoring them. If it bothers you that much then go do something else while this is happening? Or perhaps find a hobby thay doesn't involve interacting with strangers?"

    "Because it's laughable. If you can't ignore it like most people you should stop playing PvP games and stick to solo experiences. You clearly can't handle something as weak as a random person pressing a button at you so perhaps it's time to find something you do have enough resilience for."

    I could go on.

    How is that not exactly what I said? It's just blame shifting. And - yes - when you are defending toxicity by blame shifting, then I'm going to wonder what your motivation is. Are you just being contrarian, or do you have a vested interest?

    Anyway, I've wasted enough virtual ink repeating myself endlessly to you so I'm going to go and do something more productive than bang my head against this wall. If you actually want to have a discussion, again, we can - but this is a waste of time.

    PS: Don't assume offense on behalf of other people, especially in a thread where you are criticizing people for being 'too soft'. It's...not a good look.

    He never said that. Like ever. You should check the names over the posts. Seriously. Go check them. My name is cantelope. Whoever said that? I garuntee he is not named cantelope.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688566#Comment_2688566

    He never said that. Like ever. You should check the names over the posts. Seriously. Go check them. My name is cantelope. Whoever said that? I garuntee he is not named cantelope.

    Okay, who exactly are we talking about here? Because the person you seem to be referring to with 'he' (the only other person I quoted there) absolutely said those things, you can find them earlier in this thread.

    EDIT: Actually, you know what - no. I've already spent way too long getting drawn into this silly derailment. If you want to get back to the discussion at hand then sure, otherwise I'm going to call it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688578#Comment_2688578

    Okay, who exactly are we talking about here? Because the person you seem to be referring to with 'he' (the only other person I quoted there) absolutely said those things, you can find them earlier in this thread.

    Cantelope, me. The person you talked to before and are talking to now. Go check my posts in this thread, or hell my history.

    I have not nor would ever say dumbshit like that. Also... the he is me... right? I have the same name. I was honestly wondering if you noticed.

    Once again. Go back to those posts and see if Cantelope is above it. You'll find I never said any of the ######### you're accusing me of for... three ######### days.

  • Nope.

    Killers have free will, survivors have free will. As long as no one's cheating, that's how it should be. I often punish survivors for their behavior, that's one of the best parts of the game. I don't want them to be nice to me, I'm trying to kill them. It's natural for a team that's getting a rush of "we made it" to celebrate a little. The game was exciting, they're all riled up.

    It's also lame. They're literally taunting from complete safety because they're afraid to test their skills, some of them even do the "I'll loop you right here because even if you get me, I can get out. I want to play some more but I'm willing to bet NOTHING on my own abilities." It doesn't take any balls, but survivors usually like it that way.

    I don't mind. I prefer they're willing to take another hit so we can both get a few extra points, but it doesn't matter. If a team opens the gates after playing obnoxiously, I don't follow them. I just let them wait while I bust out all the walls/pallets for extra points.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2688578#Comment_2688578

    Okay, who exactly are we talking about here? Because the person you seem to be referring to with 'he' (the only other person I quoted there) absolutely said those things, you can find them earlier in this thread.

    Responding to your edit.

    I'm guessing you checked and realized your error huh?

  • Please people, chill with the personal arguments on this! Discuss the topic at hand and respect other people's opinions who may differ from your own. Calling people "trolls" etc is not conducive to an active discussion and is not wanted on this forum. Respect someone elses point of view and discuss things civilly without resorting to attacking each other please!

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2680704#Comment_2680704

    I've been playing games since before the term 'gamer'.

    It...wasn't always like this.

    This new 'I get to act like a gigantic smelly butt and if you are annoyed by that it's a you problem' is a pretty new phenomenon.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2680844#Comment_2680844

    Well...nothing means anything unless we let it. All language is contextual.

    We derive meaning through common consensus.

    Shaking hands after a match is commonly agreed on being a sign of mutual respect for the other team and the effort they made, even if they lost.

    Refusing to shake hands/yelling an insult at the other team is similarly a sign of disrespect, and a nullification of said effort.

    It says a lot about modern culture that the latter is not only considered acceptable because it happens in a videogame - but is somehow taken up as a cause worth defending.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683643#Comment_2683643

    It doesn't even need to be a punishment.

    Honestly, just a warning is effective 4/5 times.

    After a certain point, you get the community you create - and deserve.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683612#Comment_2683612

    That said...ugh.

    There's a difference between telling a dark/edgy joke and being a jerk.

    One of these things is intended to be funny for both parties, and one is designed to be fun at the expense of the other party.

    As always, context is king.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683641#Comment_2683641

    See above.

    Shaking hands or flipping someone a middle finger after a hard-fought match don't have any intrinsically positive or negative meaning, we assign these things meaning which is why they become common practice.

    However, because of this commonly assigned meaning ('teabagging' is basically the gaming equivalent of spitting in someone's face after a match) - we do these activities to communicate a meaning to the other side.

    'Teabagging' in this case is basically saying 'lol I wun u suck uninstall' to the other side.

    "I've been playing games since before the term 'gamer'.

    It...wasn't always like this.

    This new 'I get to act like a gigantic smelly butt and if you are annoyed by that it's a you problem' is a pretty new phenomenon."

    You clearly havent played many FPS games......T bagging has been around for....Longer than you think.

1 2 3 4 5