Should opening an exit gate deactivate DS?

This is something I've been asking myself since DS's update. The developers wanted to have DS deactivate if you did something that moved the game forward because it showed you are not being tunneled. So how did opening an exit gate not get on this list? I recently asked myself this a couple seconds ago when I got hit by DS by someone who was NOT being tunneled.

I saw someone with BBQ going to open the exit gate, so I went after them. That makes logical sense. So why was I punished? They weren't being tunneled. I freaking chased a Bill and hooked Bill before even going after them again AND they were on an exit gate when I found them. How is that tunneling? Yet I got hit with the anti-tunnel perk. They still died, I'm just wondering how opening an exit gate was not on the list of things that deactivate DS.

Now I know there are situations where you are getting tunneled and you have to tap the gate to open, but if there weren't enough people that someone else couldn't have done that for you, you probably didn't deserve to get out anyways. That's just my opinion, I'm sure it's an opinion that many (survivor mains) won't like, but that's something I can live with since I play enough survivor to even be like "How are exit gates not on this list?"

Comments

  • I would do a tweak where unhooking doesn't disable ds but opening the exit gate will

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    I would do a tweak where unhooking doesn't disable ds but opening the exit gate will

    If you could unhook and not have it deactivate all it does is promote the offensive gameplay and allow survivors to go for unhooks that are unsafe.

  • Does ds really need another nerf?

  • I’ve said plenty of times that DS should disable if you’re opening a gate. What else is the killer supposed to do just leave and let you open it??

  • The only people who call DS an anti tunnel perk are the survivor defense squad. I mean, sure, it does help prevent that, true. But it also works if you aren't being tunneled. I would say obviously, but a lot of the community seems to ignore that fact, so perhaps it isn't super obvious.


    Anyways, I honestly do not care too much if exit gates deactivated it or not. Maybe if they actually opened the gate instead of just tapping it, or 99 the gate. I do not want the perk to be useless, especially for people actually doing something as most DS abuse is from clowns who purposely do nothing to proc the stun.

  • Oh my God, someone still wanna nerf for DS. :( It is already weak perk lol

  • DS already feels like a mid-tier perk with relatively slim applications, albeit I've seen it used otherwise... rendering it useless when the exits pop just seems a little overboard, especially given its usage at the moment, but what would I know? I've never ran it before.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    I’ve said plenty of times that DS should disable if you’re opening a gate. What else is the killer supposed to do just leave and let you open it??

    Down -> Slug

    Only thing to do really.

    This should not be a thing. DS should deactivate when a survivor touch the gate.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    Oh my God, someone still wanna nerf for DS. :( It is already weak perk lol

    This is kind of broken though. If you are opening a gate then you are moving the game forward and the perk should deactivate.

    I do believe DS should activate on both unhooks though - that’s my honest opinion since the perk was nerfed.

  • I mean it used to but they changed the way terror radius perks worked

  • No, it’s completely fine where it is now. It’s only strong at endgame, let it be.

  • I'd trade it being deactivated at the Exit gate to NOT deactivating if I go to heal myself in a corner and the Killer catches up

  • @JoByDaylight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2377394#Comment_2377394

    This is kind of broken though. If you are opening a gate then you are moving the game forward and the perk should deactivate.

    I do believe DS should activate on both unhooks though - that’s my honest opinion since the perk was nerfed.

    No it is not broken. If you are tunnelling the guy who has DS, you will eat this stun. Don't tunnel, don't get punish. Not hard. And i do not think DS needs another nerf. Actually devs need buff it lmao.

  • No. You can still be opening an exit gate while being tunneled, it happens all the time as a last-ditch effort for a losing game. People frequently jump through a jungle gym and try to make progress between loops as well.

  • I think it should. DS seems kinda underused due to it now actually being an anti-tunneling perk so I feel like it should also be buffed. Maybe remove the skillcheck aspect and make it so even if you use it the first unhook if you get unhooked again you can use it again.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    Oh my God, someone still wanna nerf for DS. :( It is already weak perk lol

    There's plenty of killer perks that suck and survivors still want them nerfed. Does this really surprise you? There's no satisfying the community.

  • I feel DS should activate at the gates and I'm a biased killer player so here's my reasoning.

    In most cases if someone with Decisive Strike is escaping the hook and running from the exit gates there are three scenarios to this.

    • #1 The survivor with Decisive Strike was unhooked by another Survivor.
    • #2 The Survivor escaped off the hook on their own and has teammates waiting for them.
    • #3 The Survivor escaped off the hook on their own and they're the last one alive.

    In Scenario #1 likely there are other survivors going to bodyblock for this survivor to get the gate or they're going to get the gate on their own. Either way it's easier to go for the rescuer because likely the unhooked has Borrowed Time anyways. If you go for the rescued survivor they likely crawl out anyway or DS you immediately and run out if you leave the rescuer alone.

    In Scenario #2 likely the gate is 99'd and the survivors are going to bodyblock for the escapee anyway - Unlikely you catch them regardless in this scenario

    In Scenario #3 I'll be honest you should just slug the survivor if they just got off the hook and they're alone this is just common sense. You can argue that if they're the last alive DS should just deactivate and I feel this is where the debate should be. Should DS deactivate for the last survivor alive if they unhook their self?

  • DS still seems to be plagued with issues. You can be healed by others and still have DS active as well. Honestly, DS should be universal; if you do anything except run away or unhook, or if someone else activates DS, it should be disabled.

    Work on gens? Disabled.

    Healed by any source? Disabled.

    Picked up an item or touch a locker? Freaking disabled.

    DS wouldn't need a timer if it was set up by the devs in a way that doesn't leave room for exploits. I have to accept that the devs simply want people to exploit this second chance perk in ways that aren't related to a second chance.

  • I'd gladly make it so that DS deactivates after the 5th generator is completed.

    BUT: Allow DS to be used twice in one trial.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2377409#Comment_2377409

    No it is not broken. If you are tunnelling the guy who has DS, you will eat this stun. Don't tunnel, don't get punish. Not hard. And i do not think DS needs another nerf. Actually devs need buff it lmao.

    I never see DS during the game (because tunneling is not one of my tools) however I do see it give a free escape anywhere near the exit gate during EGC. FREE ESCAPE/FREE KILLS should not exist.

  • @glitchboi said:

    I'd gladly make it so that DS deactivates after the 5th generator is completed.

    BUT: Allow DS to be used twice in one trial.

    Once is plenty, and I always save it for the endgame cause that’s when it shifts the momentum.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2377409#Comment_2377409

    No it is not broken. If you are tunnelling the guy who has DS, you will eat this stun. Don't tunnel, don't get punish. Not hard. And i do not think DS needs another nerf. Actually devs need buff it lmao.

    Going against someone who is unhooking or opening the gate isnt tunneling. Not hard.



    imo DS should activate both hookstates but it should deactivate endgame and by any action that shows you are not being tunneled, like opening a gate.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2377482#Comment_2377482

    I never see DS during the game (because tunneling is not one of my tools) however I do see it give a free escape anywhere near the exit gate during EGC. FREE ESCAPE/FREE KILLS should not exist.

    Nerf DS again? :d

  • Sorry for late response my friend was not feeling good over the weekend. I did not say nerf it. What they should have did off the start is nerf the exploits/buff the perk. I agree with someone above who mentions DS deactivating once gens are done I like this idea and in return I think most people would be happy using the perk more than once in return. I know I would personally considering my poor Kate had 7 tunneling/camping killers in a row this weekend (along with teammates who don't know how to handle that) which caused me to switch to killer again. Only too eventually say ######### that as well (lag/freeze). Like I said before it's a free escape in EG if hooked withing 40 meters of the gate. Even if you get through body blocks, get the hit, and leaved them slugged they will still get out. Majority of good killers should have no problem with DS being used more than once as long as nerfed the remaining part/s that are broken.

  • @Ruma said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2377482#Comment_2377482

    Going against someone who is unhooking or opening the gate isnt tunneling. Not hard.

    imo DS should activate both hookstates but it should deactivate endgame and by any action that shows you are not being tunneled, like opening a gate.

    But, you can be tunneled running to a 99 gate. The real problem is not DS in this moment but 99ing the gates. Because, why should I be punished for a 99 gate, just open the damn doors teammates. But, my guess is this is why it doesn't deactivate when opening the doors, because of the potential for 99ing them.

  • @Clevite said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2378989#Comment_2378989

    But, you can be tunneled running to a 99 gate. The real problem is not DS in this moment but 99ing the gates. Because, why should I be punished for a 99 gate, just open the damn doors teammates. But, my guess is this is why it doesn't deactivate when opening the doors, because of the potential for 99ing them.

    DS should deactivate in screnarios like that anyway. Why should the killer be punished for potentially going for the only one you could even down anymore. Thats not tunneling anymore since you more often than not dont have any other options.

  • @Ruma said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2383783#Comment_2383783

    DS should deactivate in screnarios like that anyway. Why should the killer be punished for potentially going for the only one you could even down anymore. Thats not tunneling anymore since you more often than not dont have any other options.

    That is a fair statement, but that is the reason you run the perk. They already nerfed it , so you basically run this perk for the chance you may get to use it once all game. If you remove it's potency at the end game, it would be about worthless. And often it is best to save it for the endgame, especially in solo q. But I do see your point.

  • @Clevite said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2383878#Comment_2383878

    That is a fair statement, but that is the reason you run the perk. They already nerfed it , so you basically run this perk for the chance you may get to use it once all game. If you remove it's potency at the end game, it would be about worthless. And often it is best to save it for the endgame, especially in solo q. But I do see your point.

    I agree it should activate on all hookstates but as a tradeoff it should deactivate once EGC started and if you are fully healed.