In Defence of NOED

Hello, I play this game since last August and have slightly more than 900 hours in dbd. I used Hex: No One Escapes Death only 1 time when I was still learning killer and it was cleansed 20 seconds of its life. I never used it since then at first because I thought it was too much risk for my liking, then I found it too unfun to play against. I also play as both roles.

So you might ask - Why would you ever defend such unfun perk?

My answer to that is - People misunderstand it's purpose.

NOED in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a noob perk that rewards bad players, but as something completely different.

NOED is a middle finger perk from the to survivors who think that they won. That's all it is.

And I want you to remember how satisfying it is for to escape a killer with NOED.

This message is mostly to people who take this game too seriously, I understand wanting to win, but don't forget that this is a casual game.

And don't think that I didn't rage at killers that used NOED, I just grew up I think.

Good Luck and Have Fun while playing this game.

Comments

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346886#Comment_2346886

    That's how hex perks work, all or nothing. That is their literal design. The problem is, there are only like 3 good ones, and the rest are terrible. Which isn't much to say on the idea of a hex in general, just that the devs have a warped sense of things that are strong. For example, Almo thinks that huntress lullaby is actually stronger than ruin.

    Yes thank you, I know that's their design, I'm saying it's a bad design.

    When there's already so much RNG involved that can make or break your game, having all or nothing perks that are either too oppressive or nonexistent based on the random location of the totem, is too much to be left out of your control, whether you're killer or survivor.

    That's why there are only 3 good ones, because it's an impossible thing to balance. They're either too powerful or not worth the risk of them vanishing instantly.

    Scaling with the number of totems gives survivors a fairer chance to weaken the perk, and killers more value out of the perk.

  • @selflessnea said:

    Un popular opinion NOED doesn't win games. Also yeah. Noed used in the right hands can be devastating.

    I use NOED on Nurse. 🙃

  • I've honestly never liked using noed as killer always felt like cheap downs

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2347237#Comment_2347237

    Yes thank you, I know that's their design, I'm saying it's a bad design.

    When there's already so much RNG involved that can make or break your game, having all or nothing perks that are either too oppressive or nonexistent based on the random location of the totem, is too much to be left out of your control, whether you're killer or survivor.

    That's why there are only 3 good ones, because it's an impossible thing to balance. They're either too powerful or not worth the risk of them vanishing instantly.

    Scaling with the number of totems gives survivors a fairer chance to weaken the perk, and killers more value out of the perk.

    Survivors already have a fair chance with the perk, it's called, do the bones.

  • I will never use Noed. The best feeling is to down survivors when gens are still up or you get all before they can escape. And all done with the normal skills of the Killer you play, without Noed.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2347708#Comment_2347708

    Survivors already have a fair chance with the perk, it's called, do the bones.

    And what's the killers fair chance when the hex is cleansed immediately?

    What if the hex is impossible for the survivors to find?

    Both happen fairly often.

  • Noed is pretty useless tbh why have ur basic insta kill when u got an one hit chainsaw thats why evryone should play billy he ams the greatest.

  • Always found this kind of funny, cause if everyone did totems first, would the killer even find them quick? I know I'm usually patrolling gens asap and not looking for totems I can't even see. Almost everyone at the start of the game is found cause they on a gen.

  • @Power_Guy said:

    The problem with the view of most people who complain about NoED is that they think it 'rewards failure'. This could not be more wrong.

    See, the Killer did not fail just because 5 gens popped; the Exit Gates still need to be opened, and the Survivors still need to actually leave the match. At any point between those two things; the Killer can still hit and hook and kill people.

    But, the way I see it, most of those who dislike NoED know this. They just don't want to accept it. So they invent some arbitrary event; the Exit Gates being powered, and then claim it's somehow a fail state for Killers.

    In this way, they have just created an argument against NoED; that it 'rewards failure'. They're wrong, but they will stick to it, because it's the only method to attack NoED that they have.

    Because, and let's face it, their other argument of 'It has no counter' is an utter lie, given the number of anti-totem perks and items that exist.

    So they tried to invent another flaw with the perk; the 'rewards failure' tripe. It's also a lie, but they keep trying.

    I don't see how you could call it anything but rewarding failure. You failed at killing survivors so you get rewarded by BHVR just giving you kills.

    Plus NOED is the ultimate face camping perk in the game.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346259#Comment_2346259

    I don't see how you could call it anything but rewarding failure. You failed at killing survivors so you get rewarded by BHVR just giving you kills.

    Plus NOED is the ultimate face camping perk in the game.

    The Killer has not failed until the Survivors escape alive. This is not rocket science.

    If the Killer can still kill you, then he has not failed.

    I don't see how people cannot understand this. If the Killer can still kill you, then he has not failed.


    Survivor's bunk about 'failing to kill' just because 5 gens popped is nothing but hot air. It has no weight behind it. No one but Survivors believe this, and nothing in the game says this is the case.

    If Survivors can still die; The Killer has not failed yet.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2347389#Comment_2347389

    Yes but that "don't tunnel" or "slug them" is sometimes counter intuitive to the game (unlike bringing a map which doesn't affect gameplay outside of not bringing a medkit/toolbox, the counterplay to ds requires a change in strategy and could completely backfire due to lack of pressure)

    And the counter to NOED is a change in strategy that also backfires due to lack of gens being done and a missing teammate IE the one whos hunting totems. Also you need an add on and a map in order to counter totems as well as having found them already which on same maps just wont be the case.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2349279#Comment_2349279

    A map doesn't require you to slowdown on gens. Usually a map will pick up on 3-4/5 totems in most games if you've been in a chase.

    You don't need an add on, maps instantly look for totems. They help but aren't necessary. I do it often enough to know.

    You don't need to find them, you just need to be in proximity of them aswell, this is a common misconception with maps. As long as you're within I think it's 10m of it it'll pick it up.

    So no, it's not the same. Noed requires you to take an item to consistently deal with them, DS counterplay requires you to change your playstyle.

    Once again it STILL requires you to change your playstyle. What if you want to bring a med kit? Forced to bring a map. Flashlight? Nope, bring a map. And yes by default a green map won't track totems I played with one yesterday and was curious to see if you were right and upon activation no totems were found despite me having walked past several. And on some maps you wont get within 8 meters of a totem not to mention you need to have comms in order for this strategy to have some effective use as you'll be wasting massive amounts of end game time while someone sits on hook and possibly everyone is scattered looking for totems.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346259#Comment_2346259

    I don't see how you could call it anything but rewarding failure. You failed at killing survivors so you get rewarded by BHVR just giving you kills.

    Plus NOED is the ultimate face camping perk in the game.

    if NOED triggers it's the survivors fault for not doing totems. You have tools to get rid of it before it even activates so use them.

  • @Friendbilly6969 said:

    Noed is pretty useless tbh why have ur basic insta kill when u got an one hit chainsaw thats why evryone should play billy he ams the greatest.

    I run it on Bubba sometimes in case I get a bad map for killers.

  • @Starly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346398#Comment_2346398

    When did I promote toxicity?

    Most of toxicity about NOED comes from survivors, I understand how inconvenient it it is to look for totems. Bring perks to help then. I know that you don't want to change your perks for something "stupid" like totems, but that's why small game and counterforce exist.

    Ya kinda said that NOED is a middle finger to survivors. Suddenly flipping the bird at some rando who's done nothing to you would be a bit toxic, don't you think?

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2349300#Comment_2349300

    That's not a change in playstyle though? By playstyle I mean what tactics you use throughout the match, not what's brought in. It is an inconvenience, but doesn't just counter noed but all hexes really (incase you missed one in range). But it's not a change in playstyle. Yes it stops you bringing medkits/toolboxes. So it's annoying but a reliable counter.

    Sorry, I didn't know about the green map (I tend to only use purple/red maps)

    I will repeat, throughout the natural course of a game you should get (with a purple/red map) at least 3 totems spotted with it consistently. That means it'll only be a bit of searching for totems at the end and if it's one of the not done totems not found you should be able to tell where you haven't been by what's not highlighted in areas. Swamp is probably the only exception to this (it's totem spawns are dumb as hell, and need to be looked at for more consistency).

    It should only take you at the end, to scout out 3 totems and look for the other 2 (let's say it's the last totem found/checked) around 30/40s. Nothing to major. A 1/3 or 1/4 of a hook timer.

    There's not a purple map though only pink variation. Also what about maps like RPD where it could take up to 2 minutes to constantly run back and forth checking totems? And yes it IS a change in playstyle. For example I like being a healer so yes I do play non meta. I bring Botany, We'll make it, Desperate Measures, and Borrowed usually along with a medkit. Now I HAVE to change my play style and how I would usually play just to counter an end game perk a killer may or may not have. I can no longer play healer I have to play totem jockey it doesn't matter if its end game, mid game, early game I have to step away from my usually passive role and take on a searching one that is a change in play style.

  • Why people still complain about this perk is beyond me. Id rather verse killers who have noed equipped than verse the same 4 slow gen perks. That. Every. Killer. Runs.

  • @IMhereRUN said:

    People say it’s a crutch (which it is) to allow the killer momentum he couldn’t get in the game.

    But 90% of the time, survivor crutch perks is the only reason they made it to the endgame alive…so, NOEDs fine with me as I’m sure survivors (including myself) wont stop using crutches.

    DoDaDamnBoneZ

    100% this...

    Survivors: "NOED is an unfair crutch perk that rewards bad killers"

    Also Survivors : "Gimme some of that BT, DS, and Dead Hard action".

    😂😂

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346279#Comment_2346279

    100% this...

    Survivors: "NOED is an unfair crutch perk that rewards bad killers"

    Also Survivors : "Gimme some of that BT, DS, and Dead Hard action".

    😂😂

    You forgot Adrenaline

  • @Seraphor said:

    Like all hex perks, it's all or nothing, and that's the whole problem. It allows it to be ridiculous powerful, yet still feels 'weak' to use for most killers, because you only actually get to use it 10% of the time.

    They really need to rework all hex perks. Instead of tying them to a single hex totem, they just need to be perks that scale with the number of active totems on the map.

    For example, NOED could take a snapshot of all uncleansed totems at the moment the last gen is repaired. It then gains that many tokens, each token = one instant down. This way survivors can cleanse several totems and still weaken NOED without getting that final totem, while killers can still get some use out of NOED instead of it vanishing completely the moment someone cleanses that one hex totem. It would also mean survivors need to cleanse totems before end game, as once that last gen is repaired, it's too late to change it.

    You know I can, unfortunately see them implementing something like this, by way of a nerf. Limit the amount of "insta downs" to the volume of totems left at end game.

  • Maybe some ppl should stop taking the game so damn serious

  • @M4dBoOmr said:

    Maybe some ppl should stop taking the game so damn serious

    Amen.


  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2349574#Comment_2349574

    You don't need a medkit to be a healer though!

    Your build still heals enough to be a "competent healing build".

    Also, probably a better build- BT, well make it, botany, autodidact.

    You also don't have to play "totem jockey", you just have to had moved around the map. Again your saying this phrase as if it's difficult to walk within 8m of a totem whilst normally traversing the map. That's just not true. It's super easy, stop exaggerating or just outright straw-manning me. You haven't listened to a thing I've said about this, even thought I've repeated this 3 times.

    I've only played RPD once with small game to see totem spawns ect.. and I found that the totem spawns dont seem that bad, at least out of the 5 I found. One was slightly out the way, but most were noticeable by walking past. So with red maps it's easy to see.

    I've listened its just you keep contradicting yourself and no auto-didact is a horrible perk especially to run with things that increase healing speed as it makes it even less of a chance youll get a skill check. But yes to normally traverse, run a pink map every game, then cross the entire map in the end game possibly with every other non hooked survivor is a drastic play style change, blood point consumption, and requires comms to be as effective as you make it out to be especially on maps like RPD where even if you HAVE all the locations the time to traverse it alone is gonna be over 2 minutes.

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2346279#Comment_2346279

    100% this...

    Survivors: "NOED is an unfair crutch perk that rewards bad killers"

    Also Survivors : "Gimme some of that BT, DS, and Dead Hard action".

    😂😂

    I do not feel like Deadhard rewards bad survivors, honestly, quite the opposite. But yeah, as a baby killer, I quite like being rewarded by my perk and don't mind if garbo survivors get carried by DS.

  • "It rewards Killers for playing Bad", "It gives Killers unearned Momentum..."


    OK.


    If we blame the Killer for using Noed, we could also blame the Survivors for not cleansing the Totem. It doesn't matter if you had anti totem Perks or not - It's YOUR JOB to take care of it!

    So with that said, i could just say, its your missplay Noed is still in the Game.


    Lets look if we can find other Perks on Survivor Side, which offers free Escape Tools, instead of the Killer's free Kill Perks:


    Dead Hard Is a single Button Press. You do literally nothing for this ability to dodge any type of Dmg which would have killed/downed you.


    Unbreakable. If your wound is so severe that you can't stand up - use Unbreakable and just stand up! You can do it! No need for a Hospital... Oh wait, did you do anything for that perk? Yes, you are down on the Ground. Good Job.

    Its rewarding Bad Habbits and Bad Gameplay too, Oh my God! Who could see that coming? :O


    There are many other Perks on both sides, which you could flame but instead of flaming, you could just try to get over it and adapt your playstyle. I had to learn that too and it is in the Game, so why you shouldnt use it?


    I personal dont run Noed because i think it is useless and the Slot would get me a better Perk and a better chance of winning, but i dont say you shouldnt use it!

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2350287#Comment_2350287

    I do not feel like Deadhard rewards bad survivors, honestly, quite the opposite. But yeah, as a baby killer, I quite like being rewarded by my perk and don't mind if garbo survivors get carried by DS.

    The point is that survivors argue NOED gives an "un-earned" down. I'd argue if you subscribe to that viewpoint, you have to say those survivor perks give you an "un-earned" save.

  • I agree with that argument on Blood warden or No way out but not on Noed since these both perks atleast require you to do something to obtain such a powerfull effect. Also it is not satisfying for me to escape from noed, most of the games I just have to let the person die who gets downed by Noed and run out or I could try to find the totem which is most likely not possible since the Killer will hook close to it if the can or defend the totem. I could also try to do a risky save but this will be most likely also a stupid decision unless the killer ######### up hard.

    All of these interactions are just not fun or interesting and therefore I would disagree with you sry about that.

  • There's this constant thing of

    "Do bones!"

    "But I don't wanna, I wanna do gens, and besides I need a map to find totems."

    When the answer is very simple, if you see a totem just do it. If you get to EGC and NOED activates then someone messed up or things are super hidden, oh well that's the game. Now you can either run the killer in circles, try and find the totem, or just leave.

    As a killer you have to assume, until proven otherwise, that your opponent has dead hard, iron will, sprint burst, lithe, deliverance, unbreakable, etc. and you can choose to respect it, or you can call their bluff. Sometimes you get DS'd, and sometimes you get another hook.

    Saying that survivors shouldn't have to go out of their way to respect anything the killer might have brought is a bit silly, especially if they're not even bothering to count the killer's perks. Only bothering to cleanse a totem when it's obviously a hex tells me that BHVR should add more hex perks that work with dull totems. Or they could add totems that buff survivors and call them boon totems but that'd be silly, survivors are already overpowered they don't need more, right?

1 2 ›