The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Shaped said:

    Holy hell how much freezing on rpd against huntress my previous game.

    This is beyond a joke at this point. Seriously. There is no way they will ever make it up to us for enduring this nor they care but I am slowly losing the will to support this game any more. I might not buy anything ever again.

    I have been having so much freezing against Huntress on any map, some worse than others but no matter what nonstop freezes anytime she grabs a hatchet or fully winds up. Even get the super fun freezes where I'm running one direction but after freeze I'm going different direction. I think some Huntresses know grabbing the hatchet screws up survivors performance because I've had a few start spamming grabbing a hatchet and canceling while in a chase. I had 3 Huntress matches in a row one night, I stopped playing because I couldn't put up with the freezes any more.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2466551#Comment_2466551

    I have been having so much freezing against Huntress on any map, some worse than others but no matter what nonstop freezes anytime she grabs a hatchet or fully winds up. Even get the super fun freezes where I'm running one direction but after freeze I'm going different direction. I think some Huntresses know grabbing the hatchet screws up survivors performance because I've had a few start spamming grabbing a hatchet and canceling while in a chase. I had 3 Huntress matches in a row one night, I stopped playing because I couldn't put up with the freezes any more.

    Try crossplay off, I usually have better experience both roles. Wait times are not bad but killers dodging a lot piss me off tbh so I often keep crossplay on surv and disable it for the killer.

    I am ps4 eu btw.

    Edit: What is weird to me tho on crossplay off and forgot to mention is some people still using dh or perks/killers that freeze the game, not just for others but them too.

    I wish there was some awareness on it so we could have more enjoyable games with cp off. But considering how toxic the community is they would probably use it even more even if it messes them up.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2466853#Comment_2466853

    Try crossplay off, I usually have better experience both roles. Wait times are not bad but killers dodging a lot piss me off tbh so I often keep crossplay on surv and disable it for the killer.

    I am ps4 eu btw.

    Edit: What is weird to me tho on crossplay off and forgot to mention is some people still using dh or perks/killers that freeze the game, not just for others but them too.

    I wish there was some awareness on it so we could have more enjoyable games with cp off. But considering how toxic the community is they would probably use it even more even if it messes them up.

    I have crossplay off, turned it off after first day they started it because even then the game performance felt so much worse than it already did. I can't imagine how bad it would be with it on now. I'm on ps4 on NA servers and waits are definitely better with crossplay off, I think because pretty decent amount turned it off for both sides. I don't see too much dodging, maybe one or two killers a session but it's really not enough for me to turn crossplay on.

    I think players use the perks that trigger performance issues because it's something they can control. Like a survivor using DH knows the game will freeze so they're prepared for the freeze where as the killer and other survivors it's an unexpected freeze. Same for killers using Sloppy, they'll take the freeze because it'll screw over other side too and atleast they are controlling when that freeze happens.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2466864#Comment_2466864

    I have crossplay off, turned it off after first day they started it because even then the game performance felt so much worse than it already did. I can't imagine how bad it would be with it on now. I'm on ps4 on NA servers and waits are definitely better with crossplay off, I think because pretty decent amount turned it off for both sides. I don't see too much dodging, maybe one or two killers a session but it's really not enough for me to turn crossplay on.

    I think players use the perks that trigger performance issues because it's something they can control. Like a survivor using DH knows the game will freeze so they're prepared for the freeze where as the killer and other survivors it's an unexpected freeze. Same for killers using Sloppy, they'll take the freeze because it'll screw over other side too and atleast they are controlling when that freeze happens.

    So you had 3 huntresses in a row on ps4. Damn.

    For me it is not always bad against her but this one on rpd takes the cake. I think it was the worst experience I had in a while. She wasn't ever near me and I would basically freeze for longer than usual multiple times just walking. It was worse than before that "fix".

    I honestly can't remember the time I played any game in such state. Probably never on any console.

    This is a bad joke.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467026#Comment_2467026

    So you had 3 huntresses in a row on ps4. Damn.

    For me it is not always bad against her but this one on rpd takes the cake. I think it was the worst experience I had in a while. She wasn't ever near me and I would basically freeze for longer than usual multiple times just walking. It was worse than before that "fix".

    I honestly can't remember the time I played any game in such state. Probably never on any console.

    This is a bad joke.

    Honestly I think its rpd does it period I constantly have issues on that map more often then any other map

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467051#Comment_2467051

    Honestly I think its rpd does it period I constantly have issues on that map more often then any other map

    Yeah rpd is definitely an issue. And when you combine issues sometimes you get a jackpot like I did.

    I had to stop playing for today after that.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467026#Comment_2467026

    So you had 3 huntresses in a row on ps4. Damn.

    For me it is not always bad against her but this one on rpd takes the cake. I think it was the worst experience I had in a while. She wasn't ever near me and I would basically freeze for longer than usual multiple times just walking. It was worse than before that "fix".

    I honestly can't remember the time I played any game in such state. Probably never on any console.

    This is a bad joke.

    Before the RE chapter I had no performance issues against Huntress unless she ran a perk like Sloppy. After RE chapter started getting performance issues against her and they've only gotten worse in each patch since.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467063#Comment_2467063

    Yeah rpd is definitely an issue. And when you combine issues sometimes you get a jackpot like I did.

    I had to stop playing for today after that.

    I played a plague match on rpd last night fun stuff.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467051#Comment_2467051

    Before the RE chapter I had no performance issues against Huntress unless she ran a perk like Sloppy. After RE chapter started getting performance issues against her and they've only gotten worse in each patch since.

    I didn't have any real issues untell 5.1 they haven't stopped and only getting worse

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467077#Comment_2467077

    I didn't have any real issues untell 5.1 they haven't stopped and only getting worse

    After RE chapter the game was completely unplayable for me to the point I stopped playing, there was a patch that fixed some of the issues but performance was still worse than before RE. Then the patches following that single patch that fixed some of the issues just made performance worse again, although not as bad as RE chapter patch it is getting pretty close.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467097#Comment_2467097

    After RE chapter the game was completely unplayable for me to the point I stopped playing, there was a patch that fixed some of the issues but performance was still worse than before RE. Then the patches following that single patch that fixed some of the issues just made performance worse again, although not as bad as RE chapter patch it is getting pretty close.

    I think its the updated ascetic is causing more problems with the low frame rates on last gen

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467111#Comment_2467111

    I think its the updated ascetic is causing more problems with the low frame rates on last gen

    While I'm sure the graphic rework hasn't helped the performance issues are from more than those since they happen in maps that have not been reworked.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2467125#Comment_2467125

    While I'm sure the graphic rework hasn't helped the performance issues are from more than those since they happen in maps that have not been reworked.

    I seen to notice it more on the newly reworked. I could be wrong but I swear evertime I load into auto haven it freezes for the first 3 secs killer or survivor.

  • at least this is something

    image.png


  • That is something, although I really wish they'd say what the plan is regarding 60 FPS.

  • Lol "remaining" issues. I won't even comment on that.

    Let us see if dh gets fixed soon at least. But I'm not trusting anything until I see results.

    Thanks for the info.

  • That's good news. At least we know our efforts are resulting in something. Let's keep positive and watch out for the next update.

  • I've been waiting to see your response to that line...am hoping when the release happens, you'll notice the improvements.

  • @Mandy said:

    I've been waiting to see your response to that line...am hoping when the release happens, you'll notice the improvements.

    When does 5.2.0 release?

  • we don't have any official dates but judging by past patterns im guessing 7th (3 weeks passed) or 14th (4 weeks passed)- both of which are tuesdays

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2468293#Comment_2468293

    we don't have any official dates but judging by past patterns im guessing 7th (3 weeks passed) or 14th (4 weeks passed)- both of which are tuesdays

    I'm not sure if I'll be able to gather footage, as I'm not a fan of MMR, but I'll try to test some stuff out when it goes live.

  • @Mandy said:

    I've been waiting to see your response to that line...am hoping when the release happens, you'll notice the improvements.

    Glad to see that they made official announcement. Will say I was hoping Sloppy would be fixed at same time as Dead Hard because like DH it is a guaranteed freeze when activated and so many killers run it. 🤞The fixes will be noticeable.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2468249#Comment_2468249

    That is something, although I really wish they'd say what the plan is regarding 60 FPS.

    This all day. An update regarding this goal would be greatly appreciated.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2468259#Comment_2468259

    This all day. An update regarding this goal would be greatly appreciated.

    It obviously isn't coming soon, maybe not at all, I'd just like some confirmation.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2468492#Comment_2468492

    It obviously isn't coming soon, maybe not at all, I'd just like some confirmation.

    Exactly. It would be like closure to me personally.

  • Bought an original xbox to hook up a kinect to play just dance 2021 with my nieces and nephews and decided to tested some multiplayer games on it this past month(wanted to take a dbd break as well).

    Games that were tested:Rocket arena, Tom Clancy's ghost recon, overwatch, pubg, fortnite, apex legends, call of duty black ops 3 and 4 have all played perfectly without any lag and high end quality.

    Dbd test: tried to play with legion and blight and wraith...immediate frame drops when I moved fast. Played trapper and hag and it worked fine. Seriously people it is a dbd issue...quit giving bhvr money until they fix the optimization with their game.

  • Bought an original xbox to hook up a kinect to play just dance 2021 with my nieces and nephews and decided to tested some multiplayer games on it this past month(wanted to take a dbd break as well).

    Games that were tested:Rocket arena, Tom Clancy's ghost recon, overwatch, pubg, fortnite, apex legends, call of duty black ops 3 and 4 have all played perfectly without any lag and high end quality.

    Dbd test: tried to play with legion and blight and wraith...immediate frame drops when I moved fast. Played trapper and hag and it worked fine. Seriously people it is a dbd issue...quit giving bhvr money until they fix the optimization with their game.

  • @latinfla4 said:

    Bought an original xbox to hook up a kinect to play just dance 2021 with my nieces and nephews and decided to tested some multiplayer games on it this past month(wanted to take a dbd break as well).

    Games that were tested:Rocket arena, Tom Clancy's ghost recon, overwatch, pubg, fortnite, apex legends, call of duty black ops 3 and 4 have all played perfectly without any lag and high end quality.

    Dbd test: tried to play with legion and blight and wraith...immediate frame drops when I moved fast. Played trapper and hag and it worked fine. Seriously people it is a dbd issue...quit giving bhvr money until they fix the optimization with their game.

    I played a lot of games on ps4. And I mean a lot.

    No game I played has issues like dbd does.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2468492#Comment_2468492

    It obviously isn't coming soon, maybe not at all, I'd just like some confirmation.

    I really don't think DBD on console (old gen) will ever reach 60 FPS. I think the best we can hope for is a solid 30 FPS. Maybe I'll be proved wrong 🤷‍♂️

  • People on ps4/pro. Have you noticed that fans make no noise at the starting screen when you turn the console on after it was being off for a while.

    @TragicSolitude

  • @Shaped said:

    People on ps4/pro. Have you noticed that fans make no noise at the starting screen when you turn the console on after it was being off for a while.

    @TragicSolitude

    Yes. I'm on PS4 Pro, and when I turn the console on and start up DbD for the first time that day, the fans are quieter.

  • @Shaped said:

    People on ps4/pro. Have you noticed that fans make no noise at the starting screen when you turn the console on after it was being off for a while.

    @TragicSolitude

    I'll need to see next time I go straight into DBD when I start up my ps4. Usually my swf teammate is asking me to play when I'm already on my ps4 either on streaming service or playing another game. When I close out whatever I was in and start up DBD my ps4 goes from quiet to jet engine.

  • Yeah it seems like console gets hot very fast when playing dbd and fans quickly follow. But not immediately even with the fog effects.

    Edit: I didn't pay attention but I wonder if game is running better at first.

  • Is this game playable again on ps4? I dont even try at the moment, just hop onto this thread every few weeks^^

  • @RayrafLPP said:

    Is this game playable again on ps4? I dont even try at the moment, just hop onto this thread every few weeks^^

    Playable is a loose term.

  • @RayrafLPP said:

    Is this game playable again on ps4? I dont even try at the moment, just hop onto this thread every few weeks^^

    It's better than it was when RE came out BUT still way worse than it was before RE. There's supposed to be some performance fixes in patch on Tuesday, check back again then to see if there's been any improvement.

  • Sometimes I wonder if the Devs genuinely have a company policy relating to the prevention of using company resources on game optimisation.

  • i kinda wish they would just disable the perks that cause the stuttering right now. literally lost 5 games because of constant freezing which let everyone get major distance every chase.

    methinks its time to uninstall if the pinhead paragraph doesnt fix anything.

  • @Mew said:

    i kinda wish they would just disable the perks that cause the stuttering right now. literally lost 5 games because of constant freezing which let everyone get major distance every chase.

    methinks its time to uninstall if the pinhead paragraph doesnt fix anything.

    Unfortunately, that wouldn't be fair to the PC playerbase.

  • So, tomorrow is the patch. I'm curious to see if I need an longer break from this game or not.

    How about you all?

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    So, tomorrow is the patch. I'm curious to see if I need an longer break from this game or not.

    How about you all?

    Just the usual fears that this will be it, the patch that finally completely and thoroughly breaks the game for console.

  • fingers crossed!! Tomorrow SBMM comes in, Pinhead comes in... some awesome perks... I hope that some awesome Optimization comes as well!

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    So, tomorrow is the patch. I'm curious to see if I need an longer break from this game or not.

    How about you all?

    I am already not playing since yesterday. Kinda burned out, playing other games. But I might get back to it again even if it is not fixed.

    If they improve the game a little bit it would be more appealing to me tho. But like I said before, at this point, I don't have much hope.

  • @Bravo0413 said:

    fingers crossed!! Tomorrow SBMM comes in, Pinhead comes in... some awesome perks... I hope that some awesome Optimization comes as well!

    Don't expect too much tommorow. They said fixes will come in multiple updates. Lets see if dh gets fixed in the 5.2 like they said.

  • I was playing on survivor on PS4 last night and noticed my character only what I can describe as "Stuttering" while trying to run. As if colliding with or deflecting off a low obstacle or wall despite there being nothing there. I don't think it's FPS drop, I've been dealing with that long enough to recognize it, and I don't think it's lag either because that just straight pulls me backwards and comes with an onscreen indicator. This is more like the game momentarily "forgets" I'm moving forward. Is anyone experiencing similar issues?

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    So, tomorrow is the patch. I'm curious to see if I need an longer break from this game or not.

    How about you all?

    I'm expecting the 5th Killer in a row to be awful on Console when they release.

  • @SentinelCaptain said:

    I was playing on survivor on PS4 last night and noticed my character only what I can describe as "Stuttering" while trying to run. As if colliding with or deflecting off a low obstacle or wall despite there being nothing there. I don't think it's FPS drop, I've been dealing with that long enough to recognize it, and I don't think it's lag either because that just straight pulls me backwards and comes with an onscreen indicator. This is more like the game momentarily "forgets" I'm moving forward. Is anyone experiencing similar issues?

    Few days ago I had a weird game on midwich as survivor. Something was pulling me left, right etc. Still managed to escape somehow. But moving was bad.

    Only happened in that particular game. Either a hack or bug.

  • @SentinelCaptain said:

    I was playing on survivor on PS4 last night and noticed my character only what I can describe as "Stuttering" while trying to run. As if colliding with or deflecting off a low obstacle or wall despite there being nothing there. I don't think it's FPS drop, I've been dealing with that long enough to recognize it, and I don't think it's lag either because that just straight pulls me backwards and comes with an onscreen indicator. This is more like the game momentarily "forgets" I'm moving forward. Is anyone experiencing similar issues?

    I had a match where I left a locker and immediately was stuck and like stuttered on the hay bale next to me. The blindness effect from the locker never went away and I couldn't see auras for the rest of the match.

  • Patch notes don't mention anything about consoles, but they did say the fixed FPS drops from Dead Hard, gens being done and healing. Hope it's true. Sadly there's nothing related to hooking/unhooking because these are the most annoying hitches right now imo.


  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    Patch notes don't mention anything about consoles, but they did say the fixed FPS drops from Dead Hard, gens being done and healing. Hope it's true. Sadly there's nothing related to hooking/unhooking because these are the most annoying hitches right now imo.

    The hook ones are terrible. I was hoping the Sloppy Butcher ones would be fixed at same time as Dead Hard.

    PS4 patch is 2.276GB, wonder how much that will help or hurt performance.

1 … 62 63 64 65 66 … 82