The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • And performance has literally gotten worse since this post was started.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441742#Comment_2441742

    And performance has literally gotten worse since this post was started.

    I can vouch for this personally.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441742#Comment_2441742

    I know. It really is a shame it hasn't been fixed yet. I'm just saying that they are aware of the terrible problems you guys are having. Mandy even mentioned it a couple of times in a different thread recently.

    And again, it's important that we not let people forget that Console has been getting ######### over for years

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    Kinda surprised this thread is still going... I'm sure they are aware of the issues. Posting the same things over and over for 96 pages isn't going to make it go faster. I'm sure it'll get fixed if they can do it.

    Some people want to have conversations. I personally want to see this thread reach 100 pages.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441755#Comment_2441755

    And again, it's important that we not let people forget that Console has been getting ######### over for years

    I don't think anyone is gonna forget. The devs are definitely aware of the issues.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441770#Comment_2441770

    I don't think anyone is gonna forget. The devs are definitely aware of the issues.

    are we sure about that?

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441733#Comment_2441733

    Some people want to have conversations. I personally want to see this thread reach 100 pages.

    It's just that the same thing is being said over and over for almost 100 pages. You guys are free to continue, though.

  • I'm sure. Will it get fixed, who knows? They know about it.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441770#Comment_2441770

    I don't think anyone is gonna forget. The devs are definitely aware of the issues.

    Easy for you to say if you are not on last gen.

    If people can talk about how dead hard is so bad over and over again or how spirit is so op making countless threads all the time why can't we have one single thread where we talk about bad performance of the game we payed for which is getting worse actually over the years?

    And btw some people came to solutions like ssd talking about it. We share our experiences and don't hurt anyone with this thread. If you don't like ignoring it is an option you know.

    I don't like people crying about same perks/killers for years at this point and I never said that they should stop doing it. Everyone has the right to talk about things that concern dbd.

  • 100 pages lets go

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441776#Comment_2441776

    It's just that the same thing is being said over and over for almost 100 pages. You guys are free to continue, though.

    True, but that should say something.

    We still haven't gotten an answer about when Optimization will come or if the 60 FPS goal has been abandoned.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441780#Comment_2441780

    I'm sure. Will it get fixed, who knows? They know about it.

    They are working on it as well, I know this is just going to be seen as "lip service" but the issues including the Dead Hard causing freezes etc are being worked on. I don't have information I can share at this stage, but want to attempt to assure you that things are actively being worked on.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441776#Comment_2441776

    It's just that the same thing is being said over and over for almost 100 pages. You guys are free to continue, though.

    We have multiple threads that complain about the same thing. This is just multiple threads complaining about the same thing melted together by the flame of dragons

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441778#Comment_2441778

    Easy for you to say if you are not on last gen.

    If people can talk about how dead hard is so bad over and over again or how spirit is so op making countless threads all the time why can't we have one single thread where we talk about bad performance of the game we payed for which is getting worse actually over the years?

    And btw some people came to solutions like ssd talking about it. We share our experiences and don't hurt anyone with this thread. If you don't like ignoring it is an option you know.

    I don't like people crying about same perks/killers for years at this point and I never said that they should stop doing it. Everyone has the right to talk about things that concern dbd.

    I never told anyone to stop posting (I even told you guys to continue), just that I'm sure the devs are aware of the problems. I'm glad you guys have came up with solutions, but the majority of posts are just the same thing over and over. Again, feel free to keep posting. I'm not annoyed or anything. Just sharing my 2 cents.


    Edit: I did play on an old gen console until I switched to a gaming PC a couple of moths ago, so I know how it is.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441783#Comment_2441783

    They are working on it as well, I know this is just going to be seen as "lip service" but the issues including the Dead Hard causing freezes etc are being worked on. I don't have information I can share at this stage, but want to attempt to assure you that things are actively being worked on.

    That’s good to hear, but my matches have been freezing from, unhooks, gen pops, perk information, and more.

    I’m sure you guys are probably aware of that too though.

  • Just want to clear this up - this thread is not an issue, even if it's a repeat of a previous post. It's obviously an issue that's affecting a lot of our players/users and the more information that's added, the better that is. The videos in particular have been incredibly useful in explaining the issues exactly and we're grateful to everyone that's taken the time to post things - the more information that we have at our disposal on this, the better.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441787#Comment_2441787

    I never told anyone to stop posting (I even told you guys to continue), just that I'm sure the devs are aware of the problems. I'm glad you guys have came up with solutions, but the majority of posts are just the same thing over and over. Again, feel free to keep posting. I'm not annoyed or anything. Just sharing my 2 cents.

    Fair enough.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441791#Comment_2441791

    That’s good to hear, but my matches have been freezing from, unhooks, gen pops, perk information, and more.

    I’m sure you guys are probably aware of that too though.

    yes we are, I might not post on this thread too much - but there's not a post on here that I've not read.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441813#Comment_2441813

    yes we are, I might not post on this thread too much - but there's not a post on here that I've not read.

    I really appreciate all you guys are trying to do. So thank you.

  • @Mandy said:

    Just want to clear this up - this thread is not an issue, even if it's a repeat of a previous post. It's obviously an issue that's affecting a lot of our players/users and the more information that's added, the better that is. The videos in particular have been incredibly useful in explaining the issues exactly and we're grateful to everyone that's taken the time to post things - the more information that we have at our disposal on this, the better.

    Well, I'm glad to hear my videos haven't been useless.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441814#Comment_2441814

    Well, I'm glad to hear my videos haven't been useless.

    they've definitely not been useless, in fact yours are the ones I turn to when I need to show something - so they've definitely been viewed.

    (and thank you)

  • I haven't played for about 2 months now. The Resi chapter broke the game for console in a way I thought we'd long forgotten. And Hellraiser will be the first chapter I don't purchase. The game is in such a terrible state that they drove me away from a game I played very regularly since 2017. That says it all right there. I'm done waiting for the devs to pull their finger out and at the very least tell us the proper state of ongoing repairs etc, so for as long as they stay quiet, and for as long as the game is just a BHVR cash cow instead of a playable funfest, like it used to be, it will be left gathering dust.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    I haven't played for about 2 months now. The Resi chapter broke the game for console in a way I thought we'd long forgotten. And Hellraiser will be the first chapter I don't purchase. The game is in such a terrible state that they drove me away from a game I played very regularly since 2017. That says it all right there. I'm done waiting for the devs to pull their finger out and at the very least tell us the proper state of ongoing repairs etc, so for as long as they stay quiet, and for as long as the game is just a BHVR cash cow instead of a playable funfest, like it used to be, it will be left gathering dust.

    I am very sorry that you feel that way.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441791#Comment_2441791

    That’s good to hear, but my matches have been freezing from, unhooks, gen pops, perk information, and more.

    I’m sure you guys are probably aware of that too though.

    Not as many as that on my case but still way more than I ever would

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441787#Comment_2441787

    I never told anyone to stop posting (I even told you guys to continue), just that I'm sure the devs are aware of the problems. I'm glad you guys have came up with solutions, but the majority of posts are just the same thing over and over. Again, feel free to keep posting. I'm not annoyed or anything. Just sharing my 2 cents.

    A lot of posts are the same thing because people want to vent. And this is a good place to do it, this thread, because others share their frustration and we all know we're not alone, it's not just us.

    Sometimes I want to literally scream, and complaining here is better than starting a new thread. Sharing my experiences does help release the frustration.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441802#Comment_2441802

    A lot of posts are the same thing because people want to vent. And this is a good place to do it, this thread, because others share their frustration and we all know we're not alone, it's not just us.

    Sometimes I want to literally scream, and complaining here is better than starting a new thread. Sharing my experiences does help release the frustration.

    As someone with anger issues I can provide a few more solutions if you wish

  • @Pulsar said:

    Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

    I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

    Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

    August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

    Thank you.

    If this somehow reaches 100 pages. i'll have to show my stream this entire forum.

    That is if you don't mind me talking about Optimization =D

    plus. i'm just tired of lagging and teleporting randomly throughout my trials... tis the reason why i find this so interesting to have it last so long..

  • @Verconissp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/245229/the-continued-ignorance-of-performance-issues-continues-to-hamper-player-fun

    If this somehow reaches 100 pages. i'll have to show my stream this entire forum.

    That is if you don't mind me talking about Optimization =D

    plus. i'm just tired of lagging and teleporting randomly throughout my trials... tis the reason why i find this so interesting to have it last so long..

    I certainly don't mind. More exposure is better.

  • I don't know how it can be more exposed.

    image.png

    views

  • Well, the Forums are only a very small part of the total playerbase

  • Well, after RE chapter was totally unplayable on ps4 slim 500 gb, they fixed to a level was playable, not wonderful, great, perfect, but ... Playable ... know after a minor patch, started to get ######### again ... So sad, I like to play both survivor and killer, and again killer is only stress, every DH every hook save, every gen done, freezes of 2/3 sec ...


    As a survivor are less, but the freezes are there too ...




    FIX THIS PLEASE !!

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441813#Comment_2441813

    yes we are, I might not post on this thread too much - but there's not a post on here that I've not read.

    Hope you don't get too demoralized (or how you say it) with some of the negativity I (and maybe others) display sometimes. I'm just too passionate about this game if I'm honest, and it hurts my feelings sometimes when stuff like the freezings happen. I want the game to be fun and playable, but sometimes it gets a bit hard to enjoy the game when it's broken for like 2,5 years. Especially when RE hit the stores.

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441818#Comment_2441818

    Hope you don't get too demoralized (or how you say it) with some of the negativity I (and maybe others) display sometimes. I'm just too passionate about this game if I'm honest, and it hurts my feelings sometimes when stuff like the freezings happen. I want the game to be fun and playable, but sometimes it gets a bit hard to enjoy the game when it's broken for like 2,5 years. Especially when RE hit the stores.

    Thank you for your words, and no I don't get too demoralised - I don't think I could do the job I do if that was the case. What's hard is that I'm the type that cares and I genuinely dislike seeing people struggling to play the game, I think the whole team feels that. If I could go and fix it myself I would - but I think that would probably cause even more issues and I'd delete the entire server or something, my tech skills are rather basic and this is way over my head. As you can tell, it's not a quick easy fix - it's a lot more involved than it appears :(

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441924#Comment_2441924

    Thank you for your words, and no I don't get too demoralised - I don't think I could do the job I do if that was the case. What's hard is that I'm the type that cares and I genuinely dislike seeing people struggling to play the game, I think the whole team feels that. If I could go and fix it myself I would - but I think that would probably cause even more issues and I'd delete the entire server or something, my tech skills are rather basic and this is way over my head. As you can tell, it's not a quick easy fix - it's a lot more involved than it appears :(

    Appreciate the attention and words. I'm worried about how many consolers were pushed away by the game's performance with the RE chapter, and along side the anniversary too. Our numbers were good and growing fast, but now it feels like there's even less of us left. Xbox with Crossplay off is just terrible for queue times after dark, so when do play these days it is with the entire playerbase and the performance differences are absolutely glaring.

    One PCer went out of their way through a mutual friend on a PS4 to ask how I can play at all freezing and teleporting around the map. I haven't even streamed DBD in months because the Xbox just cannot handle it anymore with this game. Plus sadly it is just this game.

    And bless you @MandyTalk but you are the only one talking to us at all about any of this, and that alone adds to the fustration. Not what you have said, but what so many others have not said.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441924#Comment_2441924

    Thank you for your words, and no I don't get too demoralised - I don't think I could do the job I do if that was the case. What's hard is that I'm the type that cares and I genuinely dislike seeing people struggling to play the game, I think the whole team feels that. If I could go and fix it myself I would - but I think that would probably cause even more issues and I'd delete the entire server or something, my tech skills are rather basic and this is way over my head. As you can tell, it's not a quick easy fix - it's a lot more involved than it appears :(

    Thanks for hopping on the thread and giving what information you can. It's good to hear that not only are the videos being looked at but that you are reading every comment. While I'm frustrated at the situation I do appreciate that you are doing what you can to get information to the team as well as sharing what you can.

    I know you have no control over it, but maybe just pass on that simple things like including in patch notes that performance issues are still a known issue help to show that the team is still working on it. I know it was on previous patch notes but when it's an issue that's gotten worse rather than better and has been an issue for so long a continued acknowledgement will help to show it is a priority and not being forgotten/pushed aside.

  • @MandyTalk

    Have you ever thought about having an outside agency/company take a shot at optimization?

    Suggesting it as there are far more intensive games from other companies/devs that run on the same hardware.

  • So, I know this thread is primarily about the games poor optimization, but I want to add that I also feel controller optimization is terrible.

    I'll be frank, I don't really know any technical terms so I can't say why it's bad, but just look at, say, Trickster. He's way better on mouse and keyboard compared to controller. The same can also be said about other killers like Huntress, Deathslinger, Oni, and Nurse, but he's probably the most blatant case.

  • @QwQw said:

    So, I know this thread is primarily about the games poor optimization, but I want to add that I also feel controller optimization is terrible.

    I'll be frank, I don't really know any technical terms so I can't say why it's bad, but just look at, say, Trickster. He's way better on mouse and keyboard compared to controller. The same can also be said about other killers like Huntress, Deathslinger, Oni, and Nurse, but he's probably the most blatant case.

    The only killer that was fixed on console was blight he had his controls fixed on console so he’s like PC and he’s so much better now

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442145#Comment_2442145

    The only killer that was fixed on console was blight he had his controls fixed on console so he’s like PC and he’s so much better now

    Yeah, and it only took em' like 8 months.

  • Game programming is hard it’s not that simple you don’t just press a button and fix him instantly. Also be grateful they actually listened and fixed blight. I’d rather wait 8 months to get a solid fix then no fixes

  • @QwQw said:

    So, I know this thread is primarily about the games poor optimization, but I want to add that I also feel controller optimization is terrible.

    I'll be frank, I don't really know any technical terms so I can't say why it's bad, but just look at, say, Trickster. He's way better on mouse and keyboard compared to controller. The same can also be said about other killers like Huntress, Deathslinger, Oni, and Nurse, but he's probably the most blatant case.

    The problem with Trickster is the lack of deadzone settings for controller, so you can't do fine adjustments with your aim. You can compensate that on Nurse, Huntress and Slinger by flicking the joystick, so they 90% of the time they play the exact same as on PC. You can't do that with Trickster because his attack doesn't "flick", it's a stream of knives so keeping up with survivors (especially PC survivors) is borderline impossible.

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442193#Comment_2442193

    Game programming is hard it’s not that simple you don’t just press a button and fix him instantly. Also be grateful they actually listened and fixed blight. I’d rather wait 8 months to get a solid fix then no fixes

    Regardless, Killers shouldn't be released in a state where a significant portion of the playerbase is unable to play them

  • I admire how dedicated everyone is to keeping this thread going <3

  • @Elena said:

    I admire how dedicated everyone is to keeping this thread going <3

    Well we have issues so we talk about them. It is simple and better than making new threads all the time I think. I am grateful for Pulsar making this one and people sticking to it.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442236#Comment_2442236

    Well we have issues so we talk about them. It is simple and better than making new threads all the time I think. I am grateful for Pulsar making this one and people sticking to it.

    Well we have issues so we talk about them.

    That looked a little condescending but I doubt it was, other than that I agree.

  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442145#Comment_2442145

    The problem with Trickster is the lack of deadzone settings for controller, so you can't do fine adjustments with your aim. You can compensate that on Nurse, Huntress and Slinger by flicking the joystick, so they 90% of the time they play the exact same as on PC. You can't do that with Trickster because his attack doesn't "flick", it's a stream of knives so keeping up with survivors (especially PC survivors) is borderline impossible.

    Uh, yeah, deadzone, that's the term I was looking for.

    I know Huntress and Deathslinger are nowhere near as bad as Depipster, and I also know that aiming with a keyboard and mouse will always just be inherently better than aiming with a controller, but I still think it could be better optimized.

    @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442193#Comment_2442193

    Game programming is hard it’s not that simple you don’t just press a button and fix him instantly. Also be grateful they actually listened and fixed blight. I’d rather wait 8 months to get a solid fix then no fixes

    I am grateful. I enjoy actually being able to play as him now.

    But I have to question how killers like Nurse, Huntress, and Deathslinger haven't been improved yet. Or how Trickster was even released in the state he was.

  • @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442246#Comment_2442246

    Well we have issues so we talk about them.

    That looked a little condescending but I doubt it was, other than that I agree.

    Not at all. I am just saying it is not hard for us to keep it going. It comes natural.

    I am sorry if I worded it badly, english is not my native language.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442247#Comment_2442247

    Not at all. I am just saying it is not hard for us to keep it going. It comes natural.

    I am sorry if I worded it badly, english is not my native language.

    It's okay, sometimes I just take things the wrong way.

    It's especially harder as it's on text and so I can't hear the emphasis of the words when someone says them vocally.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441783#Comment_2441783

    They are working on it as well, I know this is just going to be seen as "lip service" but the issues including the Dead Hard causing freezes etc are being worked on. I don't have information I can share at this stage, but want to attempt to assure you that things are actively being worked on.

    I know the Devs have their reasoning, but if there's a known issue with Dead Hard causing freezeing/lagging, why isn't it temporarily unavailable? Or is it's fix with performance close enough to not warrant it?

    Because right now there's a lot of Survivors who know it's causing issues and are Dead Harding into me as a Killer to cause my game to freeze up and make chasing them more difficult and annoying. They seem to get distance because I'm recovering from the stutter and then trying to parse where they went because I can't see the direction they went while I'm unable to move

  • @QwQw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442209#Comment_2442209

    Uh, yeah, deadzone, that's the term I was looking for.

    I know Huntress and Deathslinger are nowhere near as bad as Depipster, and I also know that aiming with a keyboard and mouse will always just be inherently better than aiming with a controller, but I still think it could be better optimized.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442205#Comment_2442205

    I am grateful. I enjoy actually being able to play as him now.

    But I have to question how killers like Nurse, Huntress, and Deathslinger haven't been improved yet. Or how Trickster was even released in the state he was.

    That’s strange I agree with nurse and huntress but Slinger is fine on console I never had any problems with him what’s wrong with him on console

1 … 56 57 58 59 60 … 82