The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442248#Comment_2442248

    That’s strange I agree with nurse and huntress but Slinger is fine on console I never had any problems with him what’s wrong with him on console

    You can't flick and aim refinement is worse.

    Same reason why competitive Siege players won't play on Console.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442338#Comment_2442338

    You can't flick and aim refinement is worse.

    Same reason why competitive Siege players won't play on Console.

    you could flick with slinger?

  • I would like to see in-game options put in, so folks don't have to go into the game files and set the VSYNC settings in the game folders. :-)

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441802#Comment_2441802

    A lot of posts are the same thing because people want to vent. And this is a good place to do it, this thread, because others share their frustration and we all know we're not alone, it's not just us.

    Sometimes I want to literally scream, and complaining here is better than starting a new thread. Sharing my experiences does help release the frustration.

    Feel free to do so. I did play on an old gen console (Xbox) before I got my gaming PC a couple of months ago, so I do know how bad it is. I just think it's a lot more work and way more complicated than what most people think. I'm hoping they fix it for you guys! :)

  • I play on PS4 SLIM 500gb with a HDD and i suffer everytime with freezing, lag, drop fps since RE release. After mid chapter update at 07/27 the most part of problems were solved, but, after 5.1.1 these problems come back again, and, unfortunelly, come back worse than before. Now, i have freezing for literally 2 or 3 s for exausthion perks, vaccine, unhooks, killer insticnt, and L2 power and others. These problems still when i play as survivor. Im very sad with all this. 2 months and we dont have solutions. I want change for pc, but i have 3k hours and a lot things in my acc and i'll dont put in to the trash and star again. 5 Years and optimization never was a priority, now, we suffer for this. Its very dissapoiting at moment.


    I literally think BHVR dont care about this and support for old consoles generations is dead if depends her

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2441877#Comment_2441877

    Feel free to do so. I did play on an old gen console (Xbox) before I got my gaming PC a couple of months ago, so I do know how bad it is. I just think it's a lot more work and way more complicated than what most people think. I'm hoping they fix it for you guys! :)

    Sure, but it isn't like they haven't known about these issues for multiple years.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442840#Comment_2442840

    Sure, but it isn't like they haven't known about these issues for multiple years.

    There's also 0 excuses for BHVR to not give us any kind of official update on the optimization with a basic explanation as to why it takes so long to fix certain optimzation problems.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442840#Comment_2442840

    Sure, but it isn't like they haven't known about these issues for multiple years.

    How hard is to make a game that doesn't freeze these days? A lot of developers are still able to do it lmao.

    I don't know how can people defend defective products and empty promises for years. What time to be alive.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444047#Comment_2444047

    How hard is to make a game that doesn't freeze these days? A lot of developers are still able to do it lmao.

    I don't know how can people defend defective products and empty promises for years. What time to be alive.

    I also hate the fact that BHVR refuses to explain why it takes that long to fix.

    It's insane that even just getting back to pre-Resident Evil chapter performance would be a major improvement.


  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2442840#Comment_2442840

    Sure, but it isn't like they haven't known about these issues for multiple years.

    I'm sure they have. I don't think they've been ignoring it. It's just a very complicated thing, especially on old consoles. Again, I really hope you guys get fixes. I'll never play DbD on console again.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444047#Comment_2444047

    How hard is to make a game that doesn't freeze these days? A lot of developers are still able to do it lmao.

    I don't know how can people defend defective products and empty promises for years. What time to be alive.

    I'm sure they would've already fixed it if they could've. They arent ignoring you guys. I'm sure it's being talked about and worked on. They've already released some patches that was supposed to help with performance(not sure if it did, tho). They aren't just doing nothing.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444047#Comment_2444047

    There's also 0 excuses for BHVR to not give us any kind of official update on the optimization with a basic explanation as to why it takes so long to fix certain optimzation problems.

    This. Just something that explains what happened to the optimization they promised years ago. Instead we've had radio silence while performance gets worse.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444066#Comment_2444066

    This. Just something that explains what happened to the optimization they promised years ago. Instead we've had radio silence while performance gets worse.

    It would be great if they made a post about performance and what they plan to do to fix it. Would probably make a lot of people happy and feel like they are listening.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444142#Comment_2444142

    It would be great if they made a post about performance and what they plan to do to fix it. Would probably make a lot of people happy and feel like they are listening.

    BHVR should be modest and look for more improvement for performance and healthy. Its so much better at this moment. We have a lot of chapter, killers, survivors, 7 pages for perks. Its time for focus on performance, more and more content bugged game a lot, every single patch we have more bugs, minor performance and they dont stop realease content. i'm sure the most part of community would like that. I play since 2018 and i´ve never seen so many problems like now.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444069#Comment_2444069

    I'm sure they would've already fixed it if they could've. They arent ignoring you guys. I'm sure it's being talked about and worked on. They've already released some patches that was supposed to help with performance(not sure if it did, tho). They aren't just doing nothing.

    There's more proof that they were ignoring it than that they were working on it.

    Things went radio silent for over a year.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444137#Comment_2444137

    There's more proof that they were ignoring it than that they were working on it.

    Things went radio silent for over a year.

    wasn't here for that. Unless your talking covid/2020

  • It was basically late 2019 until the RE chapter, iirc.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444142#Comment_2444142

    It would be great if they made a post about performance and what they plan to do to fix it. Would probably make a lot of people happy and feel like they are listening.

    this would certainly be helpful.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444142#Comment_2444142

    It would be great if they made a post about performance and what they plan to do to fix it. Would probably make a lot of people happy and feel like they are listening.

    Yasssssssss! My burning question is, what about that goal from March 2019 that they'd get all platforms running their game at 60fps minimum? Where we at with this? Abandoned? Soon? A couple months away? 2037?

    An update on this would be greatly appreciated. We've already gotten over two years of silence about this. I'm full up on silence don't need no more.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444161#Comment_2444161

    Yasssssssss! My burning question is, what about that goal from March 2019 that they'd get all platforms running their game at 60fps minimum? Where we at with this? Abandoned? Soon? A couple months away? 2037?

    An update on this would be greatly appreciated. We've already gotten over two years of silence about this. I'm full up on silence don't need no more.

    CoDiNg TaKeS a LoNg TiMe. I am looking forward to console optimisation in post apocalyptic world where technology doesn't even exist anymore.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444161#Comment_2444161

    Yasssssssss! My burning question is, what about that goal from March 2019 that they'd get all platforms running their game at 60fps minimum? Where we at with this? Abandoned? Soon? A couple months away? 2037?

    An update on this would be greatly appreciated. We've already gotten over two years of silence about this. I'm full up on silence don't need no more.

    Indeed.

    That's ons reason why this thread was started, to get an answer about that promised 60 FPS.

  • More than just performance issues.

  • Aaaaaaand still no reply from BHVR, we are literally just about to hit 100 pages on here

  • @Yords said:

    Aaaaaaand still no reply from BHVR, we are literally just about to hit 100 pages on here

    To be fair, Mandy has spoken several times on here.

  • @Yords said:

    Aaaaaaand still no reply from BHVR, we are literally just about to hit 100 pages on here

    Unbelievable isn’t it

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444507#Comment_2444507

    To be fair, Mandy has spoken several times on here.

    True true, but wouldn't it make a lot of people feel somewhat relieved if a dev came out and said something though? Not undermining Mandy at all tho.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444525#Comment_2444525

    True true, but wouldn't it make a lot of people feel somewhat relieved if a dev came out and said something though? Not undermining Mandy at all tho.

    I haven't seen any of the Devs recently.

  • @Nikkiwhat said:

    Played a bunch of games yesterday and today (PS4), most were actually solid for once. Even playing as Oni, zipping around with his power I had zero issues. However, during these days of playing (same back when I played during the Anniversary & last Bloodhunt) had a bunch of matches play HORRIBLY.

    So far the main factors I found to be playing Pyramid Head with his Powers to cause performance issues, the other was that Midwich was a CONSTANT hellhole for me. Played on Midwich as Trapper, as Michael Myers, Wraith and so forth. With different Perks etc, so no other common factor played a part other than the map itself.

    Took video of the moments of one matches I had on the map. The rest of my matches I had before and after this one, were on different maps and I had few to no performance issues. I had issues similar to these on the revamped Farm Maps like Thompson House (and the other daytime Farm Map variants) when I played a few weeks ago. One issue I've never seen before is at one point in the video when 3 Survivors were gathered, I smacked Jake (you hear him scream) but he doesn't get injured the first hit and took a second hit to injure him. I had no issues on my end relating to internet, no other match have I had this happen before in recent gameplay.

    https://youtu.be/vp2E83yABMg

    When you wrote this, I reflected on my games that day and it felt like it had been running pretty decent for me too. Still some stutters here and there but not bad overall. The last couple days have been the same. Some stutters, but nothing unmanageable. After the performance patch, it ran decent for a couple days, then started to degrade again. When 5.1.1 came out it got really bad again. But that day it started feeling smoother. Have you been able to play the last couple days and does it feel decent still? If so, I wonder if there was some type of maintenance or upgrade to the server that would explain why that day it started feeling better because I don't think there was an update.

  • Yeah, but they don't really offer input, more so just lighthearted fun.

    We used to have a lot of Dev interaction.

  • Tbh I feel like I will never take anything they say seriously anymore so their words don't mean a thing to me.

    Results. That is what we need after all these years being played like a damn fiddle lol.

  • Wow! 3K

    props to this lively discussion and those passionate for positivity through game-health and the well being of DBD and it’s players, who care enough to contribute; breathing life into this important issue!

  • @Red_Beard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2440494#Comment_2440494

    When you wrote this, I reflected on my games that day and it felt like it had been running pretty decent for me too. Still some stutters here and there but not bad overall. The last couple days have been the same. Some stutters, but nothing unmanageable. After the performance patch, it ran decent for a couple days, then started to degrade again. When 5.1.1 came out it got really bad again. But that day it started feeling smoother. Have you been able to play the last couple days and does it feel decent still? If so, I wonder if there was some type of maintenance or upgrade to the server that would explain why that day it started feeling better because I don't think there was an update.

    I def still have issues from time to time. Had one the other night where if I hooked someone when a Gen finished (or at times for no reason) I'd get a small freeze. I also had a few hiccups during a match as Legion.


    So far my issues have been:

    -Midwich map consistently has performance issues

    -Dead Hards can cause my game to freeze up, tho it's inconsistent

    -Survivors running into me spazzing out can sometimes cause my game to hang-up/freeze as well.


    Otherwise it's just seemingly random actions on maps that occasionally freeze/stutter etc during a match. Seen small bits of this on Yamaoka & Day Farm maps.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444507#Comment_2444507

    To be fair, Mandy has spoken several times on here.

    And no one should doubt Mandy has already related all they can about issues brought up in this thread.

  • @Nikkiwhat said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444581#Comment_2444581

    I def still have issues from time to time. Had one the other night where if I hooked someone when a Gen finished (or at times for no reason) I'd get a small freeze. I also had a few hiccups during a match as Legion.

    So far my issues have been:

    -Midwich map consistently has performance issues

    -Dead Hards can cause my game to freeze up, tho it's inconsistent

    -Survivors running into me spazzing out can sometimes cause my game to hang-up/freeze as well.

    Otherwise it's just seemingly random actions on maps that occasionally freeze/stutter etc during a match. Seen small bits of this on Yamaoka & Day Farm maps.

    I had a new one tonight: on one of the azarovs the skill check for Overcharge sounded but did not show on-screen three times for me. Somehow by the Entity's good graces I hit one of them.

    Otherwise the match had its normal hiccups, like the Demo's shred attack causing a game freeze, Sloppy lagging each and every time it was applied, the usual suspects.

    Xbox1x

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444790#Comment_2444790

    I had a new one tonight: on one of the azarovs the skill check for Overcharge sounded but did not show on-screen three times for me. Somehow by the Entity's good graces I hit one of them.

    Otherwise the match had its normal hiccups, like the Demo's shred attack causing a game freeze, Sloppy lagging each and every time it was applied, the usual suspects.

    I still have love for this game and while the whole "Spaghetti Code" has long been a thing we say....it's still so bewildering how the game rarely gets a moment of peace, even when some things are fixed or tweaked.

    For all we know the Entity is behind the actual issues that plague the game and feeds off all of us...like the Sailor Moon villains would concoct elaborate schemes to drain humans of their energy.

  • I also had a thought. Might be useful to include our platform & which variety with each relevant post. Who knows it may help the devs some!

  • Just played a game against a Freddy with Sloppy, Franklins and Third Seal. The moment he hit me my game froze for 5+ seconds and when it returned I was already downed. I didn't even have the opportunity to run away. I swear a minority of these PC killers use this kind of build on purpose.

  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    Just played a game against a Freddy with Sloppy, Franklins and Third Seal. The moment he hit me my game froze for 5+ seconds and when it returned I was already downed. I didn't even have the opportunity to run away. I swear a minority of these PC killers use this kind of build on purpose.

    That does not sound fun.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444790#Comment_2444790

    I had a new one tonight: on one of the azarovs the skill check for Overcharge sounded but did not show on-screen three times for me. Somehow by the Entity's good graces I hit one of them.

    Otherwise the match had its normal hiccups, like the Demo's shred attack causing a game freeze, Sloppy lagging each and every time it was applied, the usual suspects.

    Have you made a bug report?

  • @Xyvielia said:

    Wow! 3K

    props to this lively discussion and those passionate for positivity through game-health and the well being of DBD and it’s players, who care enough to contribute; breathing life into this important issue!

    Thank you <3

    I'm sure everyone else appreciates this too.

  • Congrats on 100 pages everyone!

  • We did it we did it

  • 100 pages. Alright ready for round 2

  • I have been upvoting what I notice within the Optimization area, but since I couldn't find one there about OC I created a new one.

  • Wow 100 pages?

    I'm surprised this thread lasted this long

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2444137#Comment_2444137

    There's more proof that they were ignoring it than that they were working on it.

    Things went radio silent for over a year.

    Just because they didn't say much doesn't mean they were ignoring you guys. I'm sure they want it fixed as much as you guys do.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Congrats on 100 pages everyone!

    Congrats with the start of the Optimise consoles movement! 😁

  • @Boosted_Dwight said:

    Wow 100 pages?

    I'm surprised this thread lasted this long

    And that is why you're boosted, Dwight!


    :P

1 … 57 58 59 60 61 … 82