The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    Hey @Pulsar are you going to be talking to some video game journalists about these issues soon?

    I have been advised to wait until after Tuesday, which is likely when the hotfix patch will drop.

    This will allow me to more accurately represent the state of the game.

    But yes, if the update doesn't fix or acknowledge the issues Console's has before this patch, I will reach out.

    There are no guarantees they will even want to pick the story up though

  • @tenoresax said:

    This reminds me of that one thread a few months back about poor console optimization that blew up then the devs took it down for some bullshit reason

    I'm really glad to see this topic getting alot of attention again

    This thread has managed to eclipse that one by 16 pages, believe it or not!

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291500#Comment_2291500

    This thread has managed to eclipse that one by 16 pages, believe it or not!

    @tenoresax said:

    This reminds me of that one thread a few months back about poor console optimization that blew up then the devs took it down for some bullshit reason

    I'm really glad to see this topic getting alot of attention again

    It's because people learnt their lesson and keep commenting constructive relevant comments instead of "bump" every three seconds to keep it attached to the front page.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291539#Comment_2291539

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291500#Comment_2291500

    It's because people learnt their lesson and keep commenting constructive relevant comments instead of "bump" every three seconds to keep it attached to the front page.

    Indeed.

    For the record, I'd rather have had that one remain open.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291539#Comment_2291539

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291500#Comment_2291500

    It's because people learnt their lesson and keep commenting constructive relevant comments instead of "bump" every three seconds to keep it attached to the front page.

    Indeed.

    For the record, I'd rather have had that one remain open.

  • @zarr said:

    I know the worst performance issues are mostly being experienced on consoles, but for any PC player wanting to improve their performance, I advise you to run the game in true fullscreen mode. BHVR unfortunately enough have never added this option to the in-game menu, but you can enable it manually from the GameUserSettings.ini file, by setting FullscreenMode=0, LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=0, PreferredFullscreenMode=0. Make sure AutoAdjust=False, ScreenResolution=100 and FullScreen=True are also set. Set your resolution using ResolutionSizeX and ResolutionSizeY (e. g. ResolutionSizeX=1920, ResolutionSizeY=1080). I also suggest you disable VSync, with bUseVSync=False.

    Usually the game runs in windowed fullscreen mode, yet the performance in true fullscreen is a lot better, with higher and more stable framerates as well as lower input latencies.

    Adding this option to the in-game menu would be an easy way for BHVR to help a lot of its customers achieve a better playing experience, since I suspect it's still a minority that is aware of how to do this manually from the files. And for console platforms, there's also a seemingly easy way for BHVR to improve performance significantly: offer graphics quality options. As far as I'm aware, it is for some reason not possible on consoles to switch between the Low, Medium, High or Ultra graphics settings.

    You are correct consoles are all locked at the Ultra setting. I've read on many PC performance-related threads here that is usually the first option to change in an attempt to reclaim some fps. Sadly we do not have this option at all.

  • I would be happy if there was an option to drop the quality for better fps on the base consoles, and have ultra for a ‘pro mode’ or even next gen only.

    Not only would this help the performance of older hardware; but it would also give them more room when designing the game knowing that they aren’t restricted by the need for ultra settings to work across all sorts of varied hardware quality.

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    I would be happy if there was an option to drop the quality for better fps on the base consoles, and have ultra for a ‘pro mode’ or even next gen only.

    Not only would this help the performance of older hardware; but it would also give them more room when designing the game knowing that they aren’t restricted by the need for ultra settings to work across all sorts of varied hardware quality.

    Yeah i have never ever seen a dev explain why console players are capped at "ultra high" graphics its silly

  • @gammatsunami said:

    This game is unplayable right now.

    I have almost the best gaming pc you can get.

    2tb 980 pro - which is as fast as the ps5's ssd

    rx 6900xt

    5900x

    32gb ram

    The stuttering is so bad its literally giving me a headache. Its always been there but never this bad. Its really bad whenever a gen is done, or any new effect for the first time in the match, or I try to attack ( its hard enough to hit nemesis' attack )

    I am playing on low setting by the way

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8oG56fK0o

    Heres a bit more from that match

    Watch at 0:53 seconds when I get my attack ready, the game freezes then right after the gen pops.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7guYKkdd1is

    Again, its always been this stuttery but not this bad - the game needs a overhaul. Its just been particularly bad the fast few days. They either need to optimise the game, or move to a new engine or something.

    You can ever hear the stuttering in the audio

    I can upload more examples if you guys want. Its literally the entire match - infact I can record a whole match if you want?

    How can they not optimize the simplest things like simply using your power.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291529#Comment_2291529

    I have been advised to wait until after Tuesday, which is likely when the hotfix patch will drop.

    This will allow me to more accurately represent the state of the game.

    Video game journalists? This is interesting, we are about to make a news article about these issues? lol

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291537#Comment_2291537

    Video game journalists? This is interesting, we are about to make a news article about these issues? lol

    The longest thread in this forums history that has hundreds of different people all stating their issues, while listing the triggers that cause them.

    Addressing an empty promise made over two years ago, that hasn’t even come remotely close to happening.

    The lack of transparency and radio silence on this issue, not to mention that a dev or community manager hasn’t responded to this when it’s been on the front page for 2 months.

    The recent update that has literally tanked performance even worse than what it was on all consoles and even mid to high range PCs. Causing people’s games to crash and even some people’s consoles and PCs to crash.

    This all sounds rather newsworthy to me, especially with how big this game has become. It’s time they’re held accountable.

  • @Nebula said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292138#Comment_2292138

    The longest thread in this forums history that has hundreds of different people all stating their issues, while listing the triggers that cause them.

    Addressing an empty promise made over two years ago, that hasn’t even come remotely close to happening.

    The lack of transparency and radio silence on this issue, not to mention that a dev or community manager hasn’t responded to this when it’s been on the front page for 2 months.

    The recent update that has literally tanked performance even worse than what it was on all consoles and even mid to high range PCs. Causing people’s games to crash and even some people’s consoles and PCs to crash.

    This all sounds rather newsworthy to me, especially with how big this game has become. It’s time they’re held accountable.

    Could not have said it better myself


  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291159#Comment_2291159

    You are correct consoles are all locked at the Ultra setting. I've read on many PC performance-related threads here that is usually the first option to change in an attempt to reclaim some fps. Sadly we do not have this option at all.

    Absolutely, the performance difference between Low and Ultra is immense. I for one would definitely not be able to play the game on Ultra with my PC, but I can run it (reasonably) well on Low, with a stable capped 60fps (although I still get the occasional microfreeze, a few select maps - mostly reworked ones, like Campbell's Chapel weirdly enough - have my framerate fluctuate between 40-60, and then there are performance glitches such as Twins causing massive freezes the longer the round goes on if I'm facing them). I also believe the game has memory management issues, akin to memory leaks: it starts at around 1.5GB RAM usage but grows to around 2.5GB after an hour or two, and the longer you play, the more sluggish the game response especially in the menus gets (and I have 16GB RAM, so it's not like it's putting my system anywhere near capacity; I think that DbD with time is just using more RAM than it is meant to and using it very inefficiently as a result).

    I don't know why graphics quality options are not a thing on consoles. I know that it has traditionally not often been a thing because games are supposed to already be "optimized" at a default quality setting and set framerate for console platforms, but that is obviously not the case anymore. With various older and newer-generation consoles on the market as well as a wide variety of differently-spec'd devices, having one quality setting (be that actually "Ultra" or some other standard, in DbD's case) is not really feasible anymore. I know that other console games do have quality options these days (for example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla has a "performance mode"), so I don't think console manufacturers are actually forcing game developers to stick to one quality. And if there's a game that needs it, it's DbD.

  • @zarr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291813#Comment_2291813

    Absolutely, the performance difference between Low and Ultra is immense. I for one would definitely not be able to play the game on Ultra with my PC, but I can run it (reasonably) well on Low, with a stable capped 60fps (although I still get the occasional microfreeze, a few select maps - mostly reworked ones, like Campbell's Chapel weirdly enough - have my framerate fluctuate between 40-60, and then there are performance glitches such as Twins causing massive freezes the longer the round goes on if I'm facing them). I also believe the game has memory management issues, akin to memory leaks: it starts at around 1.5GB RAM usage but grows to around 2.5GB after an hour or two, and the longer you play, the more sluggish the game response especially in the menus gets (and I have 16GB RAM, so it's not like it's putting my system anywhere near capacity; I think that DbD with time is just using more RAM than it is meant to and using it very inefficiently as a result).

    I don't know why graphics quality options are not a thing on consoles. I know that it has traditionally not often been a thing because games are supposed to already be "optimized" at a default quality setting and set framerate for console platforms, but that is obviously not the case anymore. With various older and newer-generation consoles on the market as well as a wide variety of differently-spec'd devices, having one quality setting (be that actually "Ultra" or some other standard, in DbD's case) is not really feasible anymore. I know that other console games do have quality options these days (for example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla has a "performance mode"), so I don't think console manufacturers are actually forcing game developers to stick to one quality. And if there's a game that needs it, it's DbD.

    I barely and very inconsistently get 30 frames at best on my Xbox1x. On indoor maps like Lery's in particular it drops into the teens. And that was before the RE patch. Now too many PCrs and even the newest gen consoles are having issues digesting DBD well.

    Back in March 2019 they set a goal of 60fps minimum for all platforms, and sadly since then no update at all about that goal. Makes me think they cannot make it happen.

  • I experienced two crashes last night on the Steam version, luckily both happened in the lobby. I've never experienced any crashes before the Resident Evil DLC. I think BHVR do not QA/UAT patches outside of a dev environment.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    I experienced two crashes last night on the Steam version, luckily both happened in the lobby. I've never experienced any crashes before the Resident Evil DLC. I think BHVR do not QA/UAT patches outside of a dev environment.

    [Insert meme of man hanging saying "First time?" that I deleted in fear of being banned]

    Welcome to hell

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292714#Comment_2292714

    [Insert meme of man hanging saying "First time?" that I deleted in fear of being banned]

    Welcome to hell

    No error messages... Zilch. On both occasions the game locked up and I was forced to end the task in task manager. If this issue continues to persist it will be hell as you say :/.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292721#Comment_2292721

    No error messages... Zilch. On both occasions the game locked up and I was forced to end the task in task manager. If this issue continues to persist it will be hell as you say :/.

    Oh I got the genuine "We're sorry your game has crashed" lmao

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292734#Comment_2292734

    Oh I got the genuine "We're sorry your game has crashed" lmao

    Unreal engine crash? I had one of those on my old PC.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292741#Comment_2292741

    Unreal engine crash? I had one of those on my old PC.

    ive had several ._.

  • Watch the mystical, the lovely, the magical Kate disappear!

    Demonic Gadfly playing Dead by Daylight


  • @Nebula said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2292138#Comment_2292138

    The longest thread in this forums history that has hundreds of different people all stating their issues, while listing the triggers that cause them.

    Addressing an empty promise made over two years ago, that hasn’t even come remotely close to happening.

    The lack of transparency and radio silence on this issue, not to mention that a dev or community manager hasn’t responded to this when it’s been on the front page for 2 months.

    The recent update that has literally tanked performance even worse than what it was on all consoles and even mid to high range PCs. Causing people’s games to crash and even some people’s consoles and PCs to crash.

    This all sounds rather newsworthy to me, especially with how big this game has become. It’s time they’re held accountable.

    I agree.

    I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up, they may not be interested.

  • @Edgars_Raven said:

    Watch the mystical, the lovely, the magical Kate disappear!

    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/demonic-gadfly/video/138328104

    I should add, what you see in this clip wasnt uncommon even before the latest patch

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiri2DglQg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeReJyczCDw


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KqSYHJqNE

    Third time posting these lovely game clips. In the last clip my game lagged not one, not two, but three times. I used lithe, the clown simply approached me, and then I got it hit to top it all off. I would like to make it VERY clear that all of these were captured before 5.0.0 dropped last Tuesday. These happened all before the game broke even more.

  • didn't record the matches but I had a few tonight that robbed me of more hits because of the stupid freezes, ugh these can easily cost you the match.

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFvBuEoWbzQ&ab_channel=Yords


    Worst game I have had in a while regarding low frames. The survivors, surprisingly, seemed to be good sports in the end game chat though.

  • @Yords said:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFvBuEoWbzQ&ab_channel=Yords

    Worst game I have had in a while regarding low frames. The survivors, surprisingly, seemed to be good sports in the end game chat as well.

    Yikes! As if console Blight isn't already more difficult to steer, let's add all of this onto his hump. ..

  • These are too painful to watch. Just thought about turning on my ps4, but I dont wanna ruin my whole day raging at such nonsense. Guess Ill just see whats on netflix tonight.

  • Ive hit this shot a hundred times before, ill hit it again sometime in the future. But not this time, noooo

    Demonic Gadfly playing Dead by Daylight


  • Yep,sums up my experience quite nicely.

    Not gonna play until we see a fix for this (hopefully tomorrow)

  • Tomorrow is the day bois n guls. If they follow their usual pattern, then tomorrow is when a hotfix patch will be out, most likely addressing some the fps drops caused by the Resident Evil update and hopefully restoring the RPD map. Bonus if they roll out a key change to soothe liller mains a bit.

    But I'm hoping to see is some update on the root cause of this mighty thread, some sort of hope and timeframe concerning full optimization and that goal of 60fps minimum on all platforms.

    Lots of us have been begging and pleading for this for years now, and thanks to Pulsar we have here a living breathing catalog of our woes. With tons on attention on the game now, plenty of it negative, I pray we get some answers tomorrow.

    On a side note, in case it hasn't been made clear we do not blame @MandyTalk for any of this, including no official updates on this thread. I know they do the mod thing and are told what to discuss and what not to comment on.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Tomorrow is the day bois n guls. If they follow their usual pattern, then tomorrow is when a hotfix patch will be out, most likely addressing some the fps drops caused by the Resident Evil update and hopefully restoring the RPD map. Bonus if they roll out a key change to soothe liller mains a bit.

    But I'm hoping to see is some update on the root cause of this mighty thread, some sort of hope and timeframe concerning full optimization and that goal of 60fps minimum on all platforms.

    Lots of us have been begging and pleading for this for years now, and thanks to Pulsar we have here a living breathing catalog of our woes. With tons on attention on the game now, plenty of it negative, I pray we get some answers tomorrow.

    On a side note, in case it hasn't been made clear we do not blame @MandyTalk for any of this, including no official updates on this thread. I know they do the mod thing and are told what to discuss and what not to comment on.

    Tomorrow is the day bois n guls. If they follow their usual pattern, then tomorrow is when a hotfix patch will be out, most likely addressing some the fps drops caused by the Resident Evil update and hopefully restoring the RPD map

    Don't jinx it please 😓


    Bonus if they roll out a key change to soothe liller mains a bit.

    Yeah no,we should be happy if we even get a patch tomorrow that will fix the recent FPS issue lol

    I respect the optimism though

  • Sorting through a few recordings myself for games that give a good example of the problems atm.

    This is my experience on a standard base PS4.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7U8EddFAM

    Please forgive the poor gameplay and mechanics; I was just trying to test the power in chase and this was my first game of the day.

    Its actually painful to rewatch.

    I've been experiencing this for a week now, not including the problems that were already there before this new update.

    I'm a massive Resident Evil fan, got caught up in the hype and this experience is a punch in the gut.

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    Sorting through a few recordings myself for games that give a good example of the problems atm.

    This is my experience on a standard base PS4.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7U8EddFAM

    Please forgive the poor gameplay and mechanics; I was just trying to test the power in chase and this was my first game of the day.

    Its actually painful to rewatch.

    I've been experiencing this for a week now, not including the problems that were already there before this new update.

    I'm a massive Resident Evil fan, got caught up in the hype and this experience is a punch in the gut.

    I assure you there are many of us who feel the same.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Tomorrow is the day bois n guls. If they follow their usual pattern, then tomorrow is when a hotfix patch will be out, most likely addressing some the fps drops caused by the Resident Evil update and hopefully restoring the RPD map. Bonus if they roll out a key change to soothe liller mains a bit.

    But I'm hoping to see is some update on the root cause of this mighty thread, some sort of hope and timeframe concerning full optimization and that goal of 60fps minimum on all platforms.

    Lots of us have been begging and pleading for this for years now, and thanks to Pulsar we have here a living breathing catalog of our woes. With tons on attention on the game now, plenty of it negative, I pray we get some answers tomorrow.

    On a side note, in case it hasn't been made clear we do not blame @MandyTalk for any of this, including no official updates on this thread. I know they do the mod thing and are told what to discuss and what not to comment on.

    While I hope the patch tomorrow will have performance fix I'm not optimistic it will. I just keep flashing back to last fall with ps4 being PowerPoint slideshow and it taking weeks for them to fix. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that atleast the first week of the event we'll still be dealing with these issues. I have very low expectations when it comes to BHVR, and that's not a good thing.

    Also agree it's not Mandy, other mods, or even the Devs fault for not giving us any info. That falls on the higher ups and pr management team. Apparently they don't see a large post like this or people complaining on social media about this issue worth giving us some sort of reply/answer. We've already given our money so they don't care. It's if someone outside DBD says something which could prevent new players from coming in and shelling out money that will force the higher ups to say/do something.

  • Just saw Mandy comment this on other post about the current performance issues, guessing they won't be part of tomorrow's patch.

    Screenshot_20210621-125831.png


  • @bm33 said:

    Just saw Mandy comment this on other post about the current performance issues, guessing they won't be part of tomorrow's patch.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2ZBSNA88J944/screenshot-20210621-125831.png

    at least we have a confirmation that there will be a hotfix tomorrow

    image.png

    And that there's a chance of having the 5th Anniversary Event extended considering consoles are genuinely unplayable since Mandy will mention it to the team

  • OOOOOOOOOOO BESTIES I BRING MORE NEWS

    image.png


  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2295650#Comment_2295650

    at least we have a confirmation that there will be a hotfix tomorrow

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2H5YBQI6SC1B/image.png

    And that there's a chance of having the 5th Anniversary Event extended considering consoles are genuinely unplayable.

    I didn't say there was a chance to get the anniversary event extended, I said I'd mention it - I would not say there's a chance to get it extended because I, of course do not make those decisions.

    I'm hoping tomorrows hotfix will address at least some issues with Nemesis at least.

  • Good news for console players. I do hope it'll solve your issues, guys!

  • Sounds like it's just a fix for Nemesis performance issues :(

    I guess it's at least something

  • Performance issues with the Nemesis, but the issues increased with other killers too. Here's hoping it's linked but only focusing on one killers performance issues worries me.

  • That twitter post is kinda disappointing. I´m afraid they might slightly increase the performance of nemesis and continue to neglect the general performance of the game :(

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2295832#Comment_2295832

    I didn't say there was a chance to get the anniversary event extended, I said I'd mention it - I would not say there's a chance to get it extended because I, of course do not make those decisions.

    I'm hoping tomorrows hotfix will address at least some issues with Nemesis at least.

    Sorry for the mistranlation, I inferred that there'd be a chance of it because you'd mention it to the team, who would then have a contemplation about it.

  • Some videos I saw on Twitter.

    https://twitter.com/walkingwnair/status/1407037170678894593?s=19 https://twitter.com/CrashlieP/status/1405682168857169921?s=19


    https://twitter.com/BlightChip/status/1406999403328684033?s=19 https://twitter.com/yeahitsjin/status/1406383356888158212?s=19 https://twitter.com/BlightChip/status/1406710593256660992?s=19


    If you search "dbd frames" on twitter sooooo many have been tweeting that while this latest patch performance is terrible that on their consoles/low end PCs performance issues have been around for awhile - many bringing up the optimization promise. There's just so many complaining about the performance issues (not just ones from current patch) that it makes me question how many places do players need to complain before something is finally done.

  • @FengisKawaii said:

    That twitter post is kinda disappointing. I´m afraid they might slightly increase the performance of nemesis and continue to neglect the general performance of the game :(

    That's likely exactly what will happen.

  • @FengisKawaii said:

    That twitter post is kinda disappointing. I´m afraid they might slightly increase the performance of nemesis and continue to neglect the general performance of the game :(

    That's likely exactly what will happen.

  • It's funny how a Dev responded to a post about playing with someone famous but not this thread....Priorities, unless i'm wrong and they responded to optimization somewhere else?

  • @Lucent said:

    It's funny how a Dev responded to a post about playing with someone famous but not this thread....Priorities, unless i'm wrong and they responded to optimization somewhere else?

    The dev you're talking about is only part of the balance team.

    He has nothing to do with optimization

1 … 30 31 32 33 34 … 82