The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    How are they 5 years in and the optimization is still this bad? That blows my mind.

    I have no idea.

    The real question is why haven't we haven't made a bigger deal out of it.

    Imagine if CoD or something shipped with this amount of performance issues, there'd be riots.

  • @Pulsar Oh most definitely. I feel like BHVR gets away with a ton of stuff that other developers would be quickly lambasted for by all major gaming news outlets as well as the gaming community at large. Hell, other developers would probably be sued for this level of negligence. They're basically selling a broken product knowing full well that it's broken and they just don't care because they're still making money since there's no significant competition in this genre.

  • If I recall, overall performance took a hit as soon as The Legion chapter was released. Did BHVR also update the Unreal Engine around this time?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2267856#Comment_2267856

    Do you think you could find some and link them to my profile?

    I'd just like to know if they exist.

    I'll see what I can find. If someone is commenting that they've seen people on YouTube do builds like that I'm hoping I'll find it in a build video but I have feeling it's probably middle of random streams.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    If I recall, overall performance took a hit as soon as The Legion chapter was released. Did BHVR also update the Unreal Engine around this time?

    I believe that's accurate, I first played just before the Clown chapter.

    I honestly don't remember much about the performance of the game back then.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    How are they 5 years in and the optimization is still this bad? That blows my mind.

    BHVR makes the impossible possible.

    Game almost crashing because a teammate with Prove Thyself runs towards?

    No problem for this company 👍

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    If I recall, overall performance took a hit as soon as The Legion chapter was released. Did BHVR also update the Unreal Engine around this time?

    I think performance got worse once Dedicated servers went live

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2267858#Comment_2267858

    I'll see what I can find. If someone is commenting that they've seen people on YouTube do builds like that I'm hoping I'll find it in a build video but I have feeling it's probably middle of random streams.

    Be careful with that or else this thread gets closed because of naming and shaming 😧

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268172#Comment_2268172

    Be careful with that or else this thread gets closed because of naming and shaming 😧

    Ye, that's why I said to post it on my wall.

  • I know this thread has been around for a while, but I hope the renewed conversation gets some attention from the developers. 

    Honestly, I feel bad for everything console players' experience regarding optimization. Still, I hope you know you aren't alone in suffering from poor performance (although I'm sure you experience it worse). I play on PC and have an RTX 2070. I constantly deal with freezes in DbD, similar to what Scott showcased in his video, and they frequently cause me to be at a disadvantage on both sides. As others have mentioned, these issues seem to have ties to the game's status effects (such as blood lust, exposed, blindness, etc.), and usually when one of these effects activate, I'll experience a performance drop. DbD is the only game I play that I experience these kinds of issues with performance, and it would benefit from a health patch to improve optimization for all players, as it is frustrating to suffer in a match due to issues that are out of your control. 

  • @TheOwl said:

    I know this thread has been around for a while, but I hope the renewed conversation gets some attention from the developers. 

    Honestly, I feel bad for everything console players' experience regarding optimization. Still, I hope you know you aren't alone in suffering from poor performance (although I'm sure you experience it worse). I play on PC and have an RTX 2070. I constantly deal with freezes in DbD, similar to what Scott showcased in his video, and they frequently cause me to be at a disadvantage on both sides. As others have mentioned, these issues seem to have ties to the game's status effects (such as blood lust, exposed, blindness, etc.), and usually when one of these effects activate, I'll experience a performance drop. DbD is the only game I play that I experience these kinds of issues with performance, and it would benefit from a health patch to improve optimization for all players, as it is frustrating to suffer in a match due to issues that are out of your control. 

    I hope so too

  • Imagine if a car manufacturer made a car that kept constantly stuttering on the road...then they just kept selling them without fixing the issue despite being very aware of it. I'm thinking there would definitely be some legal ramifications. I don't see how any company can get away with selling a half-baked, shoddy product with major defects for FIVE YEARS.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    Imagine if a car manufacturer made a car that kept constantly stuttering on the road...then they just kept selling them without fixing the issue despite being very aware of it. I'm thinking there would definitely be some legal ramifications. I don't see how any company can get away with selling a half-baked, shoddy product with major defects for FIVE YEARS.

    Welcome to the gaming industry 🤗

  • @bm33 said:

    Was looking through comments on Scott's video and this one stood out. Builds just to trigger fps drops on other players shouldn't be a thing.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/CYO9QSX9U26C/20210613-161032-jpg.jpg

    They should be banned instantly for making that in purpose.

    Just like the devs should be banned instantly for not fixing it..

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268172#Comment_2268172

    Be careful with that or else this thread gets closed because of naming and shaming 😧

    I wouldn't post it in the thread, that'd definitely get it closed and I don't want to be the reason they close it.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268172#Comment_2268172

    Be careful with that or else this thread gets closed because of naming and shaming 😧

    Would be a great excuse for them, right?

  • Of course,they are just waiting for something like that

  • Goddamn, I leave for like a day and we're already at 36 pages.

    It's simply unacceptable how this thread has not been acknowledged by the devs.

  • Imagine them making alts to post stuff here that gets the thread closed..

  • @bm33 said:

    It's so frustrating coming back to DBD after playing other games that don't have performance issues even though they are online, have way more going on, and have way better graphics. DBD is empty compared to the other games and yet a hit on another player no where near me will cause my game to freeze while the game adds a status effect to their screen.

    I thought with new UI that even though it's terrible it would atleast fix the issue of status effects popping up on the screen, especially since they said it was built from scratch. Instead we got crappy UI with same issues plaguing console.

    From my end as a mid-range PC, and Switch player them remaking the UI did help with optimization/FPS when it came to the main menu, spectating and skill checks. The code for the status effects and perks must be separate from the UI and main menu code they redid.

    The posts mentioning the Super Script loading in all the killers, perks, etc explain a lot.

    Fun fact: In the PTBs you get better performance because DBD uses another long super script for checking achievements. Even if achievements can not be completed with the character, map, or loadout you're using they load in all the code needed to confirm/track every achievement. Achievements are disabled on PTBs, hence better performance.

  • This whole thread is essentially a mini-forum inside of the official forum lol Anywho Scott just released a video that apparently makes the game 120 fps on PC:


    https://youtu.be/-nhsBQTgnb4

    Are the devs aware of stuff like this? Do we need to get another large gaming figure to comment on the poor framerate for BHVR to take action?

  • @AnchorTea said:

    This whole thread is essentially a mini-forum inside of the official forum lol Anywho Scott just released a video that apparently makes the game 120 fps on PC:

    https://youtu.be/-nhsBQTgnb4

    Are the devs aware of stuff like this? Do we need to get another large gaming figure to comment on the poor framerate for BHVR to take action?

    I am glad to hear Scott fixed his issues!

    Yeah, if it isn't responded to by BHVR within a month or so I've got a plan.

    I believe @JPLongstreet said they were trying to contact Puppers, as he used to play on PS4.

  • @Okapi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2267144#Comment_2267144

    From my end as a mid-range PC, and Switch player them remaking the UI did help with optimization/FPS when it came to the main menu, spectating and skill checks. The code for the status effects and perks must be separate from the UI and main menu code they redid.

    The posts mentioning the Super Script loading in all the killers, perks, etc explain a lot.

    Fun fact: In the PTBs you get better performance because DBD uses another long super script for checking achievements. Even if achievements can not be completed with the character, map, or loadout you're using they load in all the code needed to confirm/track every achievement. Achievements are disabled on PTBs, hence better performance.

    Huh.

    that's odd.




    Wait does that mean the police department will run WORSE on live?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268466#Comment_2268466

    Huh.

    that's odd.

    Wait does that mean the police department will run WORSE on live?

    Oh sweet baby jesus

  • Ngl I'm very surprised this is still going.

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    Ngl I'm very surprised this is still going.

    We have officially passed the other Optimization thread btw

  • Just keep commenting so that this thread stays at the top of general discussions.

  • @TheArbiter said:

    Just keep commenting so that this thread stays at the top of general discussions.

    Make sure it stays relevant tho!

  • I barely enter the forums anymore but reading this thread just makes me sad, because some of these people seem to genuinely enjoy the game but the awful optimization keeps them from doing so. Godspeed on your goal!

  • @Guiltron said:

    I barely enter the forums anymore but reading this thread just makes me sad, because some of these people seem to genuinely enjoy the game but the awful optimization keeps them from doing so. Godspeed on your goal!

    I am sorry that don't come around much anymore, but thank you for your support!

  • So is it safe to say this is the biggest thread ever, or am I missing something

  • @Airless said:

    So is it safe to say this is the biggest thread ever, or am I missing something

    There was one larger one if I recall correctly

  • Well I do know we've beat out the old optimization thread

  • Everyday I see new comments here, and dreaming of that one day some of them will actually be from the Dev team.

    Naive, I know

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    Everyday I see new comments here, and dreaming of that one day some of them will actually be from the Dev team.

    Naive, I know

    I'm hoping too. It probably won't happen because BHVR.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268911#Comment_2268911

    I'm hoping too. It probably won't happen because BHVR.

    I hope as well.

  • I thought it was my pc.

    I had a RTX 3090, 32gb ram 5900x cpu and its running on a 2tb 980 pro. The game uses 100% of my gpu on high settings and I still get this stutter.

    I sold my 3090 and got a 6900xt, still happens.

    I will try get a video of it.


    I also get lots of crashes ;

  • I have a Geforce GTX graphics card and still get some bad optimization on occasion. Although, it's not nearly as bad as what people get on console, it's still ridiculous how I have such a graphics card that's especially good for gaming still sometimes give me bad performances.

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Df_IwVjdjc

    Not to mention the graphic settings themselves are horrific. Like diablo 2 in the year 2000 levels of bad.

    Theres not even a brightness setting.

    edit;

    It happens at 40 seconds, you might not be able to see it. Look at my gpu usage from 99% to 60% and my fps go from 120 to 70


    To be clear, this isnt a low end PC.

    RX 6900xt

    5900x CPU

    32GB DDR4 Ram

    2tb 980 pro SSD ( as fast as the ps5's )

    I used to have a RTX 3090 and it would happen on that too.


    https://youtu.be/yirDHkCtwNc


    Here is a longer video. Reason for that is because as you can see, the game is a constant stable 120fps, until around 1:29.

    Here is the really strange thing though, and another reason I used a longer video. As you can see my FPS drop below what they go to in 1:29, but I dont get the stuttering.

    The stuttering at 1:29 actually has higher fps than certain parts in that video.

    Feels like someone is fighting me to move the mouse around. Not sure if you guys can see it great in videos, but this shows how completely randomly it happens. Whole video I can move around really quick, but 1:29 looks like I am moving really slow even though I am trying to move the mouse as fast as I can.


    I have missed so many hits / skillchecks ect cause of this. It makes me not want to play pyramid head, deathslinger or huntress.

    Its not something that comes and goes. I saw this topic, and launched the game and made 2 videos back to back, on different killers. It happens every single match, multiple times.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268466#Comment_2268466

    Huh.

    that's odd.

    Wait does that mean the police department will run WORSE on live?

    I want to be excited for this new chapter and finally getting a new map but I keep seeing things that are making me dread it on console.

  • I'm not saying there aren't other games that are worse, but I've personally never played a game that has such glaring differences between the way it treats PC and console players.

  • I also get since the update a huge freeze every time the first gen pops.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2268165#Comment_2268165

    I think performance got worse once Dedicated servers went live

    Yeah, back when the game was peer to peer I didn't get much microstutters. I get them quite frequently on dedicated servers and my Internet connection is good.

  • @Yords said:

    I even have some recordings of my own on PC, but it is just me getting low frames... on low graphics...

    But my PC is not bad either which shows how bad it is. While the game freezing doesn't happen on PC, it just runs poorly and gives us low framerates. It isn't just consoles either, it's all platforms.

    Specs:

    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
    • 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
    • GTX1660 ti max Q

    macmillian and autohaven in particular, but sometimes in the other maps as well. All maps actually.

    you're playing on laptop ! MAX-Q stands for laptop's GPU and the letter H on the CPU stands for gaming laptop's CPU

    there might be other issues with it

  • Now that many of our PC cousins have chimed in with their experiences and videos to back it up even, we begin to see just how wide spread the issues really are.

    It reinforces the need for them to do a thorough and proper optimization for all our sakes. Just as important is an update on that March 2019 goal of a minimum 60fps for all platforms.

    Imagine all of the new players about to join DVD when RE is released, many of them consolers and nearly all of them having just played RE Village with no problems. What experience and performance is awaiting them as things stand now?

  • @AnchorTea said:

    This whole thread is essentially a mini-forum inside of the official forum lol Anywho Scott just released a video that apparently makes the game 120 fps on PC:

    https://youtu.be/-nhsBQTgnb4

    Are the devs aware of stuff like this? Do we need to get another large gaming figure to comment on the poor framerate for BHVR to take action?

    Im the one that commented this fix for Scott, and i've made multiple threads on the subreddit and forum, but nobody believed me and downvoted it. It's actually pretty sad, but im glad my fix is out now with Scotts video!

  • Yeah, BHVR even mentioned in their anniversary stream that they've created a vast and rich world full of interesting characters to explore.

    They need to hold themselves to that and focus on game health after this upcoming chapter. No amount of new content will continue to hold players if game performance is too frustrating to be fun.

  • @JacksonWise said:

    Yeah, BHVR even mentioned in their anniversary stream that they've created a vast and rich world full of interesting characters to explore.

    They need to hold themselves to that and focus on game health after this upcoming chapter. No amount of new content will continue to hold players if game performance is too frustrating to be fun.

    hopefully their talk of optimisation on-stream will come true this year, or at least sometime within the next decade

1 … 20 21 22 23 24 … 82