Why are killers expected to have skill but not survivors?

I keep noticing people say Spirit takes no skill, Freddy takes no skill, Pyramid takes no skill etc etc and they say these killers need nerfs to become skill based.

Yet there exists within the game many things on the survivor side which take no skill whatsoever and that's apparently not a problem? take for example a map like Lerys, you can literally just hold forwards and mash space bar a few times to waste minutes of a killers time. This map isn't alone there exists a number of maps similar like meat plant or midwich for example, or areas of maps which can waste minutes of time with no skill required. Add in a few crutches like dead hard or sprint burst and the amount of skill required sinks even lower.

Is it because the people balancing the game focus too much on statistics instead of the experience? do they spend more time in excel than in the game? or is this just part of the survivor side priveledge, where the game has to be created in such a way that the majority find it fun at the expense of the minority?

Comments

  • @KiwiCoattails said:

    I think it’s unfair to say that playing survivor doesn’t require skill, because it does. Sitting on a generator isn’t all there is to playing survivor. Knowing how to loop and counter a killer trying to down you, takes practise and not everybody is good at it. Knowing how to prioritise is a skill. Should you heal? Get the unhook? Get on a generator? Cleanse the totem? Also being able to remain out of the killers line of sight is something some people struggle with. Wasting the killers time by making them search for you in an area but not actually find you is beneficial to the entire team. This is something I do a lot and I get killers complimenting me on it saying how annoying it was trying to track me down lol.

    Killer is obviously a lot harder to master and you’ll never see me state otherwise because I play both sides frequently. I just don’t agree with making out like playing survivor is easy because I constantly see people struggle at even the most basic of tasks. Some people don’t even look behind them during a chase and that’s one of the most obvious things a survivor should learn early on. 😂

    My point wasn’t that survivors have no skill, its that the survivors often aren’t expected to have much skill. Many maps can carry survivors especially when combined with exhaustion perks.

    Evading a killer around an L wall T wall until both windows block shows a skill gap between killer and survivor. Holding W through a map like Lerys for 3 gens does not.

  • So survivors aren't a team then,got it.

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017471#Comment_2017471

    My point wasn’t that survivors have no skill, its that the survivors often aren’t expected to have much skill. Many maps can carry survivors especially when combined with exhaustion perks.

    Evading a killer around an L wall T wall until both windows block shows a skill gap between killer and survivor. Holding W through a map like Lerys for 3 gens does not.

    Survivor is definitely the easier role, but some parts of it still take skill. It’s not as brain dead as some people choose to believe. Killers can be carried by maps too which is why they often bring map offerings as they know they’ll have an advantage. It is what it is. I’d say that killer has the higher learning curve but both sides require skill.

  • Solos are pretty capable of basic team interactions, what's your point?

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017527#Comment_2017527

    My point is that you usually get bad teammates in solo queue. My teammates in solo queue don't know the meaning of teamwork.

    That's your problem and it doesn't mean the game should have less skill demand for you.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017531#Comment_2017531

    Yes, it does. Survivors have only a quarter as much impact on the game than a killer does. Therefore, it should be less skillful. Nurse is a perfect opposite to this. She's MORE powerful, so she takes MORE skill. That's why she's balanced. Survivor is the same, but different. An individual survivor is LESS powerful, and should take LESS skill.

    Just admit you want easy wins

  • Yeah, cool story bro and I'm no perk 10k hours survivor main

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017544#Comment_2017544

    Oh, and comment if you want, I'll reply to prove that this is my video, and that i didn't just find it on the internet.

    Ok, waiting for your 50 streak stream, "nurse main".

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017552#Comment_2017552

    So, are you going to comment? I made this video. Anyways, I don't play this game enough to do a 50 streak stream. Not unless I do, like, multiple streams to get there. I do have to sleep, you know.

    >I don't play this game enough

    That's it, you don't have enough experience to talk about things that are fair or not.

  • Some parts of survivor take skill, good decision making is probably more important for the role but you can lack both those things and get by with meta perks, bad map design, weaker killers, stupid matchmaking etc

    The downside to nerfing ruin even though I agreed with it was the removal of any skill required to do the main survivor activity at all, even if chases now generally require more since map changes (abominations like the meat plant rework notwithstanding)

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017563#Comment_2017563

    I have 8k hours...

    I'm 18. I used to be able to play this game all the time. Now, I have a woefully boring engagement that most refer to as a "job". I'm on ps5 because I broke my pc when I lost my legacy. You act like you have more experience than me, and i can almost guarantee that you don't. For example, on here. You only have 81 posts. I have over 1,500. (This is an alt account). I have proved that I am better than you many times in this argument. I main killer, and yet I know that I shouldn't be able to 4k every game. I know that survivor should take less skill. I know that solo queue is harder than killer. You're just an entitled killer main who makes all of us actually GOOD killer mains look bad. Honestly, I have tried so many times to make you understand my POV, but I'm done. You can't argue with stupid, I guess.

    Nice fantasy world you're living in

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    I keep noticing people say Spirit takes no skill, Freddy takes no skill, Pyramid takes no skill etc etc and they say these killers need nerfs to become skill based.

    Yet there exists within the game many things on the survivor side which take no skill whatsoever and that's apparently not a problem? take for example a map like Lerys, you can literally just hold forwards and mash space bar a few times to waste minutes of a killers time. This map isn't alone there exists a number of maps similar like meat plant or midwich for example, or areas of maps which can waste minutes of time with no skill required. Add in a few crutches like dead hard or sprint burst and the amount of skill required sinks even lower.

    Is it because the people balancing the game focus too much on statistics instead of the experience? do they spend more time in excel than in the game? or is this just part of the survivor side priveledge, where the game has to be created in such a way that the majority find it fun at the expense of the minority?

    Well play survivor and see for yourself how much skill does a good pallet loop require.

    Turning around a pallet 3 times is noobish but finding your way between pallets/windows to hold the killer as long as possible by using as few pallets as possible is not that easy.

    Survivors able to play like this are like top 1%. I mostly play duoQ and soloQ and i meet 1 player like this every 50 games... I rarely say : this random is good and gives good chases.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017599#Comment_2017599

    Because you are less experienced than me, and it's showing. You're getting annoying.

    Just don't cry, "nurse main" =)

  • Some people say using Dead Hard takes skill, which is half true.

    Most people use Dead Hard for distance. You literally press a button for 3 metres of extra distance, what's skillful on pressing a button to extend a chase?

    On the other hand, reacting to a hit, dead harding at the perfect time to get to a safe spot takes alot more skill, but most people dead hard for distance when the Killer isn't even in lunge range and can't do anything to negate the gained distance from the Survivor, which like I said takes no skill at all. You literally just press E to outplay.

  • @onemind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2014385#Comment_2014385

    "Skill" checks are more of an alarm to make sure you are not sleeping.

    Run in circles around a piece of plywood until you think you can't make it again or drop it one loop early to play safe.

    Then it's just 50/50

    Let's take a killer with a fair amount of effort/skill huntress need time to learn how long to hold a hatchet to get the angle she needs to hit

    Needs to constantly watch out for los blockers needs to predict where the surivor will dodge of there is a lot of distance on top of doing this 2twice per a surivor while pressing the other 3 survivors

    1 killer btw not included blight nurse and the rest of the cast

    But there is skill to countering a good huntress as survivor that’s where the skill is

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017530#Comment_2017530

    That's your problem and it doesn't mean the game should have less skill demand for you.

    How are bad teammates his problem?

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017609#Comment_2017609

    Now I'm laughing actually. From this post, it's clear that you have no arguments and are only trying to make me mad. People like you are pathetic. I pity you.

    I don't need arguments to argue with nonsense =)

  • It is he who has problems with bad teammates and cries for reducing skill demand for survivors.

    I personally don't have such problems when playing survivors, as I don't rely on my team in the first place and most of my survivor games have been quite successful

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017618#Comment_2017618

    It is he who has problems with bad teammates and cries for reducing skill demand for survivors.

    I personally don't have such problems when playing survivors, as I don't rely on my team in the first place and most of my survivor games have been quite successful

    Tbf if you’re looping a killer and only one persons on gens there’s not much I can do to prevent that

    Or if I get farmed when I make the mistake of not running DS

    These things are completely out of my control

  • Why would anyone like about having 8k hours? If I had 8k hours in dbd I'd probably keep it to myself

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017627#Comment_2017627

    Tbf if you’re looping a killer and only one persons on gens there’s not much I can do to prevent that

    Or if I get farmed when I make the mistake of not running DS

    These things are completely out of my control

    That's your problem if you play the way things are out of your control.

    You can always be the one doing gens, while killers chases your teammates.

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017630#Comment_2017630

    That's your problem if you play the way things are out of your control.

    You can always be the one doing gens, while killers chases your teammates.

    What if the killer comes over to my gen and finds me? I can’t politely ask him to stop chasing me

  • And there you go avoiding the talk =)

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017648#Comment_2017648

    What if the killer comes over to my gen and finds me? I can’t politely ask him to stop chasing me

    Terror music exists for a purpose.

    I personally run builds like dance with me + lithe and fill 2 other slots with spine chill/iron will.

    Even if I get found, I just drop the chase whenever I get the moment.

    It usually works, unless I'm dealing with 4 tracking perks doctor.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    Some parts of survivor take skill, good decision making is probably more important for the role but you can lack both those things and get by with meta perks, bad map design, weaker killers, stupid matchmaking etc

    The downside to nerfing ruin even though I agreed with it was the removal of any skill required to do the main survivor activity at all, even if chases now generally require more since map changes (abominations like the meat plant rework notwithstanding)

    Yeah and thats really what I’m getting at. Maps and perks carry survivors so much and it inflates egos. These people never have to learn about good decision making, and the times when they do they blow it and throw the game for the team.

    In fairness I played survivor recently and it reminds me this can apply to killer a little bit because you see how many killers are carried by being gifted baby survivors who they can tunnel out within 90 seconds. Then we have trusty old NOED.

    In general though maps seem to be the biggest issue and second chance perk stacking swf which carries a lot of players.

  • Survivors need way more. Too much is expected from all 4. All it takes is one mistake against a killer and it can be all over. Killers have perks that make their game infinitely easier while survivors are punished. Maps are usually so small and devoid of loops that it's common someone is dead 10 secs into a match. Killer is definitely easier.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017402#Comment_2017402

    No, it isn't. I play survivor maybe only 5% of the time. And I can still flashlight save, window tech, etc. It's because it's easy to do.

    That is such a small fraction of survivor gameplay. That's like me saying I play 5% killer and can moonwalk because it's easy to do. What?

    I guarantee I can down you quicker than you can down me. I'm positive you have more to learn on survivor.

  • @Darkness1450 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017525#Comment_2017525

    By curiousity which map you think killer get carried because most of the time if a survivor just hold w they can buy 30 to 45 second without mind gaming or anything

    Why do you think Doctors using Ruin, Lullaby, Undying and Unnerving Presence burn offerings for Lery’s or Hawkins? Or Scratch Mirror Myers going to Lery’s, Hawkins or Midwich? Killers like Oni, Billy and Huntress burning offerings for open maps etc... It’s because those maps make the game easier for them. And I’d argue that in certain scenarios it carries them. I’ve gone against killers who weren’t good during chases but ended up winning because of their perks / the map offering they brought. Especially against solo players like myself who can’t communicate with the rest of the team.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017633#Comment_2017633

    Yeah lol. I usually do. I only pull it out when ppl think I'm a new player. And that's the mark of a veteran. Being embarrassed that you've spent so much time on this ######### game.

    No offence meant :p what's your devotion level btw?

  • I like how this whole post just became an argument between two users and the only actually good reply is the first one

  • I find it funny that people complain about the skill level of anything in a game when they don't realize that a low skill-floor mechanic is a MUST HAVE for a game to thrive.

    This is why things like Blue-shell, noob tube, and Bubba exist. You need low skill-floor things to give entry-level players a chance against people who are experienced.

    No matter how much you rail against them and complain till you're blue in the face, designers will continue to put these things in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitZRLt2G3w

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017823#Comment_2017823

    Doubt that. I main nurse. I can almost guaranteed down you before you can down me. Not that I don't have anything to learn as survivor, but I know how to loop at a good level. I'm no Ussylis, but I still average a 2-3 gen run. You, however, can't loop a nurse.

    Alright alright. No arguments there. It's up to you essentially if you get the hit on Nurse rather than the survivor. I also main her.

    That wasn't meant to be a killer competition. I more meant that you're really taking away credit from survivor gameplay where it's due. The name you mentioned is a great example of perfect micromanagement of survivor. That isn't easy lol

  • @Sluzzy said:

    Survivors need way more. Too much is expected from all 4. All it takes is one mistake against a killer and it can be all over. Killers have perks that make their game infinitely easier while survivors are punished. Maps are usually so small and devoid of loops that it's common someone is dead 10 secs into a match. Killer is definitely easier.

    @Sluzzy you clearly have no idea of what your saying.. this is the biggest nonsense in this post..

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2018263#Comment_2018263

    Ussylis is my favorite youtuber 😆

    Shame he isn't uploading RN.

    I simply don't think that survivor gameplay is all that skillful. However, I also don't think it should be. It should be less skillful, because they have less of an impact on the game.

    The dudes dealing with a scandal right now isn't he? Doubt he'll recover from it. Terrible publicity

  • @Yords said:

    Please explain to me how survivor doesn't take skill.

    Yeah, survivor definitely has it's own skill levels, but I think the learning curve between the roles is insanely different in difficulty. Killer takes months, while you can be looping red rank killers in a week or so as survivor. When learning survivor I really only found 2-3 levels of personal skill advancement as a survivor:

    • Level 1: Hug walls and objects being looped; don't drop pallets early; learn good positioning. (Is this even skill? more like knowledge.)
    • Level 2: Learn how to string various tiles together to create strong loops.
    • Level 3: Master timing of vaults and mind games, depending on the tile.

    But, without those skills there are handicaps that give survivors an adequate buffer that they can squeeze by on, even if they don't play well. Like, having sixteen perks for an entire team, with power for individual survivor perks rivaling the power of individual killer perks - mostly second chance perks. Things like unlimited fast vaulting; fast vaulting while standing still next to pallets; smaller collision capsules; stackable second chance perks. These handicaps allow survivors without even basic skills to win against killers that are more skilled than they are... basically, boosted by the developers.

    Honestly, the fact that these handicaps remain in the game at higher ranks/MMR is what creates imbalances in my mind. Remove the handicaps, or limit them on survivor at a certain point and that would require survivors to learn the above mentioned skills to win. Just like killers have to develop certain skills to win.

  • @killz4fun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/234157/why-are-killers-expected-to-have-skill-but-not-survivors

    @Dizzy1096 don't worry about it.. it's usually the no-skill survivors the ones that complain when they lose.. they are just salty..

    Ok but like what about when survivors all escape and the killer loses. Than its not that they are salty its they gen rushed me or the gen speeds are too fast.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2018363#Comment_2018363

    Yeah, it's really stupid. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't think that he deserves all the hate he's getting RN.

    You're advocating racism/homophobia and bigotry. Careful. He definitely deserves what he's dealing with. It's not a slip of the tongue like Pewdiepie. It just wasn't meant to be shown to everyone.

    He is very skilled at survivor though.

  • I wonder if the people who say that realize that the supposed "skill checks" on generators require no skill to hit.

    In reality its just annoyed little kids who are mad they got caught, outplayed, or out mind gamed.

  • If you think optimal looping and playing around red stain mindgames doesn't take skill you don't play against good killers. Yes, looping is easy to learn, but optimal looping and avoiding mindgames actually takes a lot of knowledge of killer tricks and fast reactions.

    I still have massive room for improvement as survivor, yet more than half the killers on the roster I've more or less hit the skill ceiling as its so low.

    The simple fact is that a lot of killers are very simple and easy. They might not be strong, but theres minimal skill required to master them. Ghostface and Shape are perfect examples, Wraith is another one. Extroardinarily shallow.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    Because a single survivor is 25% of their team. Meaning that they should only have the difficulty of killer divided by 4. It isn't fair to have a killer that doesn't take skill, when killer is more powerful than the survivors and doesn't take extra skill to compensate. A powerful character that doesn't take skill is never fair. It's fine if a braindead killer is like wraith or doctor, because they are weaker to compensate.

    The idea killer is stronger than survivor is false. If we are talking about decent survivors and a decent killer

  • If you compare Nurse or other killer that takes skill vs survivor. Sure


    But something like clown or freddy or bubba is way easier than playing survivor. You can turn your brain off and roll your face on the keyboard.

  • Those killers do take some skill to do well with, just less so than others. E.g a god tier nurse takes a lot more skill and time to get to that level with than a god tier Freddy.

  • Your looking at the game as a 1v1. Also if the survivor has the right set of titles they can waste minutes of a killers time without going down. I'd argue a single knowledgeable and skilled survivor beats a killer anyday

  • @zacattak48 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2018835#Comment_2018835

    Your looking at the game as a 1v1. Also if the survivor has the right set of titles they can waste minutes of a killers time without going down. I'd argue a single knowledgeable and skilled survivor beats a killer anyday

    If you follow a single survivor for minutes you belong in yellow rank. It's also highly probable that killer doing this lack proper looping techniques which make it possible for the survivor to loop for a long time.

  • Survivors complain alot, but people like Spirit, or Freddy, actually do require a noticeable amount of skill, unlike bubba or something.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    Survivors need way more. Too much is expected from all 4. All it takes is one mistake against a killer and it can be all over. Killers have perks that make their game infinitely easier while survivors are punished. Maps are usually so small and devoid of loops that it's common someone is dead 10 secs into a match. Killer is definitely easier.

    This has to be bait.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2017199#Comment_2017199

    You make no sense. Tournament squads win because they outskill the killer. If that offering existed, it would be just grinding to win. Huge difference.

    Tournament squads do not win because they outskill the killer. They win because the game mechanics literally hand them the game.

1 2 3