Why LGBTQ characters are important

I know my example is not DBD related, but ill give it anyways because its the easiest for me to explain.

Some time ago Overwatch "revealed" that soldier 76 is gay. And I really dont care what a characters sexuality is, but i didnt like it at first because it just felt like a buisnes move for me. "oh look how progressive we are, we are such a good company"

So as i said i didnt really like how hey did it, but then I saw how people got crazy about it.

There were so many people that were like "I dont want to play that character anymore because he is gay"

It just showed how many people are homophobic and it blew my mind.

I personally am heterosexual and identify as a staight male therefore I never got in trouble for my sexuality or gender.

But for LGBTQ people this is another story and when the Soldier reveal happened I realised that it really is problematic because of all those homphobes.

People say they dont care what sexuality a character has, yet they say that it doesnt belong in a video game.

I think they care, and they are offended by it, which is good.

Get those people who dont want gay/trans etc characters in the game out of here. And by adding more diverse characters they will be upset.

"But now youre excluding people for having a different opinion"

No im not, these people are not forced to go if a character turns out gay. Its their own problem and maybe people will reflect a bit more when the number of diverse characters increases.

Just my two cents here. If you have enough time for making a discussion about how the sexuallity of video game characters doesnt matter and "you dont care" it shows that you are lying and you actually care and dont want it.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Zaytex said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992516#Comment_1992516

    Yeah, but why do we need a survivor/killer for every sexuality and gender? If you say ''representation'' then there's a lot missing for the straights.

    There is need for such representation and very few are asking for that.

  • Representation isn't an objectivity must have thing for all LGBT people. It comes down to the individual person whether they care if there's LGBT in the game or not. If a gay person wants a gay character in the game that's fine, but not every gay person wants or needs a gay character. I don't need representation but if I get it I'm not gonna complain, unless bhvr does a bad job.

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    Representation isn't an objectivity must have thing for all LGBT people. It comes down to the individual person whether they care if there's LGBT in the game or not. If a gay person wants a gay character in the game that's fine, but not every gay person wants or needs a gay character. I don't need representation but if I get it I'm not gonna complain, unless bhvr does a bad job.

    There's also the risk of people getting trolled/tunneled/bullied ingame for picking these type of characters. How would BHVR deal with this type of backlash? Would they ban people who did this kind of thing without necessarily voicing it?

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992570#Comment_1992570

    There's also the risk of people getting trolled/tunneled/bullied ingame for picking these type of characters. How would BHVR deal with this type of backlash? Would they ban people who did this kind of thing without necessarily voicing it?

    Same way they are now treating those that only target non-white chars, or only female/male chars or tunneling based on names (e.g. tunneling everyone having anything LGBTQ+ related to their name).

  • I was right, people say Sexuality is "political" ######### is going on with people?

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992570#Comment_1992570

    There's also the risk of people getting trolled/tunneled/bullied ingame for picking these type of characters. How would BHVR deal with this type of backlash? Would they ban people who did this kind of thing without necessarily voicing it?

    It'd be near impossible to tell if people were targeting lgbt characters just because of that. Unless they said things in endgame chat. And I was a tracer main in overwatch and nobody ever really trolled me in any way for playing her so I can't imagine that's very common. But I see your point.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992582#Comment_1992582

    Same way they are now treating those that only target non-white chars, or only female/male chars or tunneling based on names (e.g. tunneling everyone having anything LGBTQ+ related to their name).

    I imagine it's pretty hard to prove intent, though. It could be mere coincidence that a killer happens to take out a pair of colored or female/male survivors just because they happened to go down easier than others.

  • @RayrafLPP said:

    I was right, people say Sexuality is "political" ######### is going on with people?

    They are grasping at straws to try to justify that they want to explicitly exclude LGBTQ+ from a game where multiple heterosexual relationships and topics are already featured.

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992590#Comment_1992590

    I imagine it's pretty hard to prove intent, though. It could be mere coincidence that a killer happens to take out a pair of colored or female/male survivors just because they happened to go down easier than others.

    In dubio pro reo, I guess.


    if they are really doing it intentional they will not be able to not rub it into peoples faces e.g. in the end game chat.

  • Ok so, in a previous thread I summarised my thoughts and feelings on the need for LGBTQ+ representation and I think that they apply to this thread (as well as every other LGBTQ+ discussion because the same comments always come up). Therefore I am going to link my comment in this thread:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992529/#Comment_1992529

    Please, if you are willing, take your time to read my comment fully and try to understand the points I have made.

    Also I'd like to point out that someone's sexuality is not political and will never be. Stop trying to make it something that it is not, LGBTQ+ people just want the same treatment, rights, representation and opportunities as everyone else. There is nothing political about people just trying to live their lives.


  • People's sexual orientation isn't political no, but the activism and organizations supposedly representating said people definitely are. And those Orgs create propaganda that absolutely affects how people think and talk about these things in the real world.


    Anyways, I'm reluctant to comment much more because the Mods seem to absolutely love closing any threads that have people heatedly discussing their different opinions.

  • @Canas said:

    I'd really like to know how BHVR would deal with countries that have anti-homosexuality laws like Russia, the Arab Emirates, China and so on. Would they rewrite/censor the character on release for these regions? Or would they flatout not release them?

    It's countries like this that prove why we need LGBTQ+ representation

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    People's sexual orientation isn't political no, but the activism and organizations supposedly representating said people definitely are. And those Orgs create propaganda that absolutely affects how people think and talk about these things in the real world.

    Anyways, I'm reluctant to comment much more because the Mods seem to absolutely love closing any threads that have people heatedly discussing their different opinions.

    To be fair, there are way too many threads about this and all boil down to the same arguments. I can just imagine what a nightmare it is to moderate those threads.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992554#Comment_1992554

    It's countries like this that prove why we need LGBTQ+ representation

    Just because games, tv-shows and other forms of media include these type of characters won't change the law of these countries though. It'll only pander to those who already accepted that part of culture so I really don't see how this will help them in these regions of the world.

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992644#Comment_1992644

    Just because games, tv-shows and other forms of media include these type of characters won't change the law of these countries though. It'll only pander to those who already accepted that part of culture so I really don't see how this will help them in these regions of the world.

    Representation normalises people in cultures and changes the views of people. When enough people want a change, it will happen, be it through democracy or a revolution.

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992644#Comment_1992644

    Just because games, tv-shows and other forms of media include these type of characters won't change the law of these countries though. It'll only pander to those who already accepted that part of culture so I really don't see how this will help them in these regions of the world.

    It may not cause them to completely revoke laws, but it's a start. Normalising the presence and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people will encourage others to do so as well. It may also lead to people pressuring governments and organisations to change these laws which helps as social pressure is a big part of change.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992656#Comment_1992656

    Representation normalises people in cultures and changes the views of people. When enough people want a change, it will happen, be it through democracy or a revolution.

    I'm still surprised changes to characters like Varus (LoL) and Tracer (Overwatch) were still omitted in those regions I've mentioned. Looks like Riot Games and Blizzard don't have the balls to do this.

  • @Canas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992660#Comment_1992660

    I'm still surprised changes to characters like Varus (LoL) and Tracer (Overwatch) were still omitted in those regions I've mentioned. Looks like Riot Games and Blizzard don't have the balls to do this.

    To be fair, Riot is, to the best of my knowledge, either part of or owned by a Chinese company, and the Chinese government are... very restrictive, let's say, when it comes to literally everything, including LGBTQ+ people.

    Blizzard I have no idea on, because I haven't looked into anything to do with the country.

    This probably explains why these characters weren't confirmed as gay in those regions.

  • @immortalls96 said:

    What I care about is it being forced and feeling fake..some games get this right , others make it feel like it's forced to appease the minority..and that isn't respectable because it isn't real

    agreed

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1992643#Comment_1992643

    To be fair, there are way too many threads about this and all boil down to the same arguments. I can just imagine what a nightmare it is to moderate those threads.


    That's a good point tbf

  • It's not important, people just feel the need to shove their agendas onto everyone else and make a big deal of it. Even if you mildy disagree with the notion 'shame on you for raining on their parade'. We live in a society.

  • @Dpooly said:

    It's not important, people just feel the need to shove their agendas onto everyone else and make a big deal of it. Even if you mildy disagree with the notion 'shame on you for raining on their parade'. We live in a society.

    It's not an agenda, it's someone's identity, it's who they are. I don't understand your mindset at all - everyone is just trying to be themselves and be accepted. What is wrong with that?

  • @Dpooly said:

    It's not important, people just feel the need to shove their agendas onto everyone else and make a big deal of it. Even if you mildy disagree with the notion 'shame on you for raining on their parade'. We live in a society.

    Good thing those people that midly disagree are still respectful and can accept when others would be glad to have something there is no need to forcibly exclude that. They can and will just not pay attention to it.

  • @TheFallenS7 said:

    I'm normally one for representation, but personally I find it bizarre how people can be so hung up over things like sexuality in a game that doesn't even have dialogue or meaningful character interactions, never mind romance.

    Hell, I don't think the game even implied any kind of real romance between The Legion characters, and they're clearly a bunch of teenagers who don't know how to deal with their raging hormones healthily (I haven't read all their hidden lore tho, but I want no spoilers so just say if I'm wrong and leave it at that).

    Is Dwight gay? Maybe, but he's not going to be picking up anyone in the middle of a trial when he can't even say "ouch" when a machete lodges itself in his ribcage. I get that minorities are often starved for the ability to say "oh look, that character is like me!", but does your headcanon really need confirming in this situation?

    That being said, I do find that story about people shitting their pants and refusing to playing Soldier 76 in Overwatch to be ######### funny. I love how the same people who like throw around the word "snowflake" tend to be the biggest ######### insecure eggshell princes.

    Overwatch is trash superhero game

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1991663#Comment_1991663

    Wait, did you just call out Mass Effect, the franchise that's so progressive it let you have a homosexual relationship in 2007 and made zero deal about it?

    Explain the camera angles where it just hovered around womens rears? I wonder why they change that in legendary edition.

  • @Zaytex said:

    Oh look another daily thread demanding for LGBTQ representation in a game that has no place for it.

    Please stop; you're doing more harm than good.

    I feel you just wanted to test and see how many pings you could get you are brave bubba and very based.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1991321#Comment_1991321

    Keep in mind Heterosexuality isnt expressly represented in the game either. It is just the assumption that unless someone broadcasts that they are different, they must be more of the same.

    No, it's the devs' own words and the fact that several characters mention heterosexual relationships in their lore.

    Which characters?

  • Nurse (released just 2 months after DbD was launched), David, Felix, Frank, Julie.

  • @Dpooly said:

    It's not important, people just feel the need to shove their agendas onto everyone else and make a big deal of it. Even if you mildy disagree with the notion 'shame on you for raining on their parade'. We live in a society.

    Corrections:

    • It's not important to you
    • It's not an agenda, it's someone's identity. Them existing isn't a political statement.
    • Disagreeing with the notion of being LGBT+ is literally homophobia lmao. That's like saying "I disagree with being gay."
    • Unless you mean disagreeing with the notion that we need representation, in which case ignore point 3 and return to point 1.
  • Whilst representation might not be important to some, it's most definitely important to others. And it's quite often those that don't feel it's important are those who are automatically represented well in areas of games and in life - so in my case single white female, pretty much well represented everywhere. So I probably take representation for granted to a large degree.

    However, I can fully understand and have seen how important representation is to all minorities. And as DbD is a game that promotes inclusivity and has a diverse playerbase we saw how the characters evolved and we did review our plans on our original position with regards to sexuality, gender etc. So definitely, this is something that's going to be implemented in the game at some point - when it will be done correctly and hopefully with the full support of all our playerbase.

    On that note, I am going to close this thread here - the topic has been discussed at length over the past few days and right now it's basically going around in circles, myself and many other forum users have explained why diversity and inclusivity is important in the game, and bhvr have made their position on this very clear themselves. So it's not about if but when this will be implemented.

    Thank you to all who've remained civil & mature when discussing this topic, it would be great if we can have discussions like this again in the future here - without having to delete some of the comments we were forced to.

1 2 3 ›