I’m getting a little fed up with BBQ!

This isn’t a “bBq OP!!” post. I’d like to simply share some thoughts on the many things about BBQ that irritate me.

Let’s not pretend that BBQ is only as popular as it is for the bonus BP. Sure, I stand by the notion that it’s healthy for killer perks to have incentives that encourage the killer to NOT camp a hook, but I really, REALLY wish it provided something OTHER than revealing survivor auras.

  • It feels like OTHER survivors are being punished for someone ELSE losing a chase.
  • It’s sometimes simply not possible to reach a locker in time before a hook occurs.
  • It’s sometimes not possible to angle oneself behind a gen in a way that perfectly hides an aura.
  • The “change direction after 4 seconds” strategy is bollocks. There are many times a hook can occur that leaves little time to try and throw the killer off because the area I’m in has few LoS blockers, and I can’t get out of sight without leaving obvious scratch marks.
  • Oh and please don’t pretend you’re so godly at survivor that it doesn’t matter where you are when BBQ reveals you, and if the killer goes for you that you can just ALWAYS be in an optimal position AND always outrun the killer and avoid being hit.
  • It’s really crappy when the killer also runs Iron Maiden. Especially with its recent buff.
  • It’s really crappy trying to run towards the the killer to attempt to get within the 40m blind spot, only to be caught out because you’re just ever so slightly in BBQ’s active range, thus the first survivor the killer goes for.

Give the killer a location notification. Or Haste when outside of a certain range of the hook until a survivor is unhooked. Something, anything other than the aura revealing.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Strongly disagree, BBQ is fine as it is

  • I get where you're coming from but I honestly have never had an issue with BBQ playing either side, and I do use it for the BP as killer because if it didnt have the BP bonus I'd rather run something like devour or something that fits into my build better.

  • So... just to make this clear. You are mad at a perk, that reduces camping, by giving them alternative targets. Because you shouldn´t be punished by that.

    Would you rather prefer, they remove BBQ and killers camp the first living being they find?

    • Any solution will feel that way because the only way to make it worthwhile for the killer to leave the hook is if they have a chance of catching someone else.
    • That's why you keep a mental note of where lockers are. If you make a mistake or get bad RNG, that's just part of the game.
    • See above.
    • The strategy works sometimes, yes. No strategy is fool-proof, and that's the way it should be.
    • I'm a stealth player. I don't outrun the killer, I just avoid being spotted in the first place.
    • Yes, perks can combo well with each other. This is by design and is the basis of builds.
    • It happens. That's why I prefer to "dip my toe" into the killer's TR, then back away a little bit, if I have to hide in that "blind spot". Better safe than sorry.
  • BBQ is pretty much a BP perk. It's terrible for tracking. Half the time I use it there are no auras because survivors get in the terror radius/hide in lockers.


    Something being easily counterable such as BBQ does not mean it is counterable in every single instance. Just because you can't reach a locker in one instance doesn't mean you can't three other times in a match.

    You basically always have something available to hide your aura and/or make your aura reading useless.

    However survivors screaming instead of auras shown would be better though, but only in certain circumstances like if they were injured

  • Nah, BBQ is fine.

    1. It encourages the killer to leave the hook in order to go after new prey.
    2. It's counters are easy, the moment the killer downs someone, head for the nearest locker. If you suspect that the killer has BBQ, which is easy to tell, you should be aware of where all the lockers are.
    3. Survivors have aura blocking perks and calm spirit that would counter Iron Maiden as well as other killer abilities/perks that are common, such as Infectious Fright and the Doctors shocks.
    4. There is plenty of time to run towards the killer if you head to them the moment they down the survivor.
    5. Lots of people on the forums share the sentiment that the meat of this game is in the chase between the killer and survivor. If that is the case, most people shouldn't have a problem with having their aura revealed, especially if they're at a distance to where they could make it to a loop before the killer reaches them.
    6. The survivor role is a team role, therefore, ones mistake will usually affect the rest of the teams, as it should. If one doesn't like this concept, they should play killer.

    I will say that it is a bit more oppressive against high mobility killers such as Billy and Spirit, but that is a problem with their design and not the perk.

  • Run distortion if you hate it it’s really underrated

  • @Phasmamain said:

    Run distortion if you hate it it’s really underrated

    This if you have this much trouble countering BBQ then use distortion to bail you out the 3 times you don't make it to a locker.

  • Firsty BBQ is trash for the aura reading. You rarely see survivors, and if you do they’re always miles away (remember 40m is the MINIMUM distance, they’re often much further). If you’re not using a killer with high mobility than congrats walking to and fro all across the map all game just cost you the game

    Secondly I dont know what you want killers to do. Survivors complain when the killer camps, they complain when the killer goes to chase someone else. You might as well just make it an ingame rule where killers have to walk to the corner turn around and count to 10 after a hook before they’re allowed to do anything else

  • *me with B&C equipped 24/7*

    raw.gif

    Unlike for Survivors who can play as either 4v1 or 1+1+1+1v1, for the Killer it's pretty much always a 4v1, so it's natural that the Killer would have an ability to be rewarded in a way that negatively affects others by doing good with 1 of them.

    I mean, that's how some other Perks work too, right?

    Thanatophobia, Dying Light, Blood Warden, Infectious Fright, Surge...

    Heck, Hex: Devour Hope can 1-shot and kill you without hooking you once because the other 3 Survivors were generating the Tokens.

    TRUST ME, this happens more often than you thought before reading this sentence.

  • Going to hard disagree here. Imo aura reading is perfect. A good reward for a killer doing a good job

    Survivors get punished for their team mistakes the entire time. That's the downside of the number side in these types of games

    Between the target going down and the hook you have 7-22 seconds. (Weapon swipe, pickup animation, carrying to hook) you really should have time to either find a safe place to hide your aura or get close enough for the aura reading and if you don't it still takes the killer time to get to your location so that's another 5+ seconds to find a good loop.

    And true you won't be able to always prevent it but if you could always prevent it it would simply be a horrible perk. It is suppose to benifit the killer.

    Sorry but imo bbq is the best example of a strong but balanced perk. Still to this day the best designed perk in the game

  • 1. Its a teamgame. Its normal that you get a disadvantage when the other survivor makes a mistake.

    2. When you start to counter it as soon as the survivor goes down, you have enough time (atleast 90%)

    3. You have perks to counter it.

    I personally dont try to counter it. I dont care whether the killer finds me most of the time. Most of the time its better he finds me then somebody else. But when im injured and on deathhook, i am able to counter BBQ consistently.

  • "Pretend?" BBQ is not that strong. It has too much counterplay, and even when you see an aura, most killers can't do anything about it. There's no "pretending" that it's so popular because of the double BP, that's literally the reason. Without it it'd be down there with I'm All Ears or Infectious Fright: the only time you see it is on specific killers.

    Think about it. Of all the info perks killers have - Tinkerer, Discordance, Thrilling Tremors, Whispers, hells even Surveillance in the Ruin/Undying meta, BBq is the one people run every trial in every build? The one that's easily the most expected and the easiest to counter? On killers like Trapper? Or Plague? Or Pyramid Head?

    Let's get to the bullet points.

    1) you have accurately described a lot of perks, such as Pop, Lullaby, IF, Thrilling, etc.

    2, 3 & 7) that's how perks work. Sometimes you just get unlucky/outpositioned.

    4) it's a good strat, it just relies on you making the right read on the killer as to whether or not they'll fall for it.

    5) I literally hang my butt out as bait all the time, that is my most common play. Not because I'm good, but because its the right play. And also because pallets and windows exist and I'm usually near them.

    6) I think it's annoying too, but the killer is giving up two perk slots for a mediocre effect.

    BBQ is not that great. I'm honestly never scared of it, it's more of an opportunity to bait the killer into coming to me. Even on Spirit, Billy or Blight. Knowing where I am doesn't mean they can do anything about it, especially if I'm 40+ metres away from the hook beside a couple of tiles. Sure, sometimes I get caught in a bad spot, but that's when I book it to the nearest safe area. And if you don't have any... Then the killer got BBQ value. So what, that's fine. I get tonnes of Kindred value, too, but I don't see anyone besides Trappers and Hags complaining that I have a giant indicator of their intent.

    I'm genuinely more scared of any other of the common info perks, except perhaps Whispers. Tinkerer, Surveillance and Discordance can make doing gens a nightmare, especially with Ruin. IF is... IF. What more is there to say, even in an m1 killer they're getting map pressure. And Thrilling is part of the wonderfully fun Pop/Thrilling combo, which guarantees at least 16 extra second of gen time. Seriously, I think that's way more problematic than BBQ. As is Tinkerer Vs solo que.

  • Wow. The whole team in an asymmetrical game suffering because of the mistakes of the weakest player?

    Welcome to literally every DBD match.

    You realize you literally posted a wall of possible counterplay?

    Some of the things you post really make me scratch the old noggin, particularly since you apparently main a low tier killer and, by extension, should have a broader knowledge and understanding of the game to perform well.

  • @Tsulan said:

    So... just to make this clear. You are mad at a perk, that reduces camping, by giving them alternative targets. Because you shouldn´t be punished by that.

    Would you rather prefer, they remove BBQ and killers camp the first living being they find?

    If you had read my post more clearly...

  • @TheClownIsKing

    TBH I would love haste outside of a certain radius of the hooked survivor, but I feel like it should be on the same conditions as the "proximity to hooked survivor" score loss event to deactivate the haste instead of just a flat "too close, no benefit for you."

    (The condition is on the DbD wiki, on the Score Events page.)

  • the entire point of BBQ is to reveal other targets to the killer in order for them to go after them instead of staying around the hook.

    keeping that in mind, its effect HAS to be something that reveals other survivors to you.

    so a haste status effect cant be the main bonus it gives you ingame, as it wouldnt help locating survivors and therefore wouldnt really be encouraging a killer to leave the hook, seeing how by the time you'd get your haste to actually do something for you the hooked survivor is most likely already been rescued, deactivating it.

    for the position reveal, i think that'd just be a straight up buff to the perk, as it would immediately eliminate two of BBQs current counters, namely hiding behind a gen or inside a locker.


    we could instead say BBQ reveals any survivors aura within 40m to the hook, that would tell a killer where to go to get someone waiting for a save and when camping isnt a good strategy.

    though it might also encourage proxy camping the area, as the killer has no longer an immediate target to go after and knows that it might be easier for him to spot someone going for the rescue, as he definitely knows where they'd go and that they must be comming from quite a distance.


    imo BBQ in its current state is perfectly fine.

    it rewards you for not tunneling one person down immediately (4 stack requirement) and it lures killers away from hooks, allowing survivors to safely rescue their friends by occupying the killer with a new target.

    its a decent perk (ingame) and ot has enough counterplay to it as is.

    of course you are right that there are scenarios where you cant always counter its effect, but is that really a bad thing? i dont think that a killer perk should always be 100% negatable by the survivors at any given time. otherwise it'd just be a plain out bad perk (its already mediocre on any killer that doesnt have high map pressure) and there'd really be no reason to run it outside of the bonus BP it provides.

    and seeing how killers have 4 perk slots vs the 16 survivors have, i dont think they really have the luxory to waste one of them like that.

  • i agree. i'm going to use killer's logic:

    it's used in every game by every killer, that means it's op, pls nerf.

    in all seriousness, i wouldn't mind seeing a range nerf/adjustment.

  • @kyogul said:

    BBQ is pretty much a BP perk. It's terrible for tracking. Half the time I use it there are no auras because survivors get in the terror radius/hide in lockers.

    Something being easily counterable such as BBQ does not mean it is counterable in every single instance. Just because you can't reach a locker in one instance doesn't mean you can't three other times in a match.

    You basically always have something available to hide your aura and/or make your aura reading useless.

    However survivors screaming instead of auras shown would be better though, but only in certain circumstances like if they were injured

    Terrible for tracking, my bad, that's an incredible thinking imo. I'm running BBQ for tracking, I absolutely don't care about the BP bonus (the counter helps me to know if I didn't chase every survivor, I don't like tunnelling, not fun for everyone).

    BBQ helps me to save sooo much time dude, it's true you often have an idea of where to go after hooking someone, but BBQ can help to make a fast decision, and a good decision, plus giving the state of the overall game.

    Absolutely fan of this perk, and when I play survivor, I never found myself thinking "My bad, he's on me thanks to BBQ, such a crutch perk, it's OP". I'm always playing like the killer is using BBQ unless there is evidence showing that he isn't.

  • This is not a BBQ is op post". Then immediately explains why its too strong. Bro there's a lot of counters to BBQ. Even smaller maps like the game is a counter to BBQ. Its your own fault for letting the killer see your aura. Sometimes as killer I can't even see the survivors with BBQ. You really think a killer is gonna use iron maiden? Come on bro. BBQ rewards hooking survivors and making the killer walk away from hook. Its one of the most balanced perks in the game next to pop.

  • If you're so desperate for the killer to keep you company on the hook maybe you can find a nice Insidious Bubba to help you with that

    After all, he'll have an extra slot where BBQ used to be

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1983714#Comment_1983714

    This if you have this much trouble countering BBQ then use distortion to bail you out the 3 times you don't make it to a locker.

    That, and Distortion can tell you if the killer even has it at all the first time he hooks someone. Not losing a stack? He doesn't have it, don't have to hide in lockers each time someone gets hooked.

    But then you have to look out for Discordance, Surveillance, Bitter Murmur, Thrilling Tremors and Hangman's Trick (and a bunch of other tracking perks I won't bother naming) Better nerf these as well, just to be sure he doesn't get found if someone else gets downed first, since that's so unfair that someone else losing a chase would lead to him getting found, after all.

  • @Unifall said:

    This is not a BBQ is op post". Then immediately explains why its too strong. Bro there's a lot of counters to BBQ. Even smaller maps like the game is a counter to BBQ. Its your own fault for letting the killer see your aura. Sometimes as killer I can't even see the survivors with BBQ. You really think a killer is gonna use iron maiden? Come on bro. BBQ rewards hooking survivors and making the killer walk away from hook. Its one of the most balanced perks in the game next to pop.

    I explain what irritates me about it. That’s it.

  • Doesn't this perk last a whopping 4 seconds?

  • I dunno, those problems you stated seem to be way less problematic for me. I feel it's fine.


    However, pretty interesting point on feeling like being punished for another survivor losing chase. But I think you need to actually look at it from a killer pov, which the perk is for, and that point becomes pointless.

  • Why are you mad at a perk that encourages a reduction of camping and "tunneling", that needs to be equipped by the KILLER.

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1983723#Comment_1983723

    That, and Distortion can tell you if the killer even has it at all the first time he hooks someone. Not losing a stack? He doesn't have it, don't have to hide in lockers each time someone gets hooked.

    But then you have to look out for Discordance, Surveillance, Bitter Murmur, Thrilling Tremors and Hangman's Trick (and a bunch of other tracking perks I won't bother naming) Better nerf these as well, just to be sure he doesn't get found if someone else gets downed first, since that's so unfair that someone else losing a chase would lead to him getting found, after all.

    Every killer I have BBQ on I get there build ready and say to myself "would be better if I could swap BBQ with this or that" the grind on my killers is close to complete but not quite and playing a game without BBQ feels a waste if your grind is not done. My grind is all killers P3 lvl 50 and I'm close and personally can't wait to take BBQ out of all my build because all my killers will have a stronger perk/build for it.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1985942#Comment_1985942

    Every killer I have BBQ on I get there build ready and say to myself "would be better if I could swap BBQ with this or that" the grind on my killers is close to complete but not quite and playing a game without BBQ feels a waste if your grind is not done. My grind is all killers P3 lvl 50 and I'm close and personally can't wait to take BBQ out of all my build because all my killers will have a stronger perk/build for it.

    Yeah I'm mostly using it for the points, but the aura reading is also nice to have. But there's a few killers I'll definitely switch it out for once I'm done leveling. Only have 5 killers left to max out, and the ones I'm currently leveling mostly don't have bbq and I'm still doing fine enough so I might be able to do without on some of them for sure

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1986770#Comment_1986770

    Yeah I'm mostly using it for the points, but the aura reading is also nice to have. But there's a few killers I'll definitely switch it out for once I'm done leveling. Only have 5 killers left to max out, and the ones I'm currently leveling mostly don't have bbq and I'm still doing fine enough so I might be able to do without on some of them for sure

    I made an exception for Nurse but other than that i only use the killers that get BBQ. I use rift/dailies/P3 50's to help level the others to get bbq instead of playing without. Got BBQ on Legion last night so I'll be able to take him his last run through now there a fun one to use. Nurse has become one of my fav's though seems like overnight but it's really been like a week in a half. Went from rank 2 down to 6 with her getting bullied and slapped around but the tide is starting to shift I have climbed back into red ranks with her taking no prisoners excited to keep getting more practice. Still waiting for Surge and Shadowborn/Monitor tho @GoodBoyKaru. Really wanted to try the surge recommendation and still have plenty of completely blind moments coming out of blinks.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1986777#Comment_1986777

    I made an exception for Nurse but other than that i only use the killers that get BBQ. I use rift/dailies/P3 50's to help level the others to get bbq instead of playing without. Got BBQ on Legion last night so I'll be able to take him his last run through now there a fun one to use. Nurse has become one of my fav's though seems like overnight but it's really been like a week in a half. Went from rank 2 down to 6 with her getting bullied and slapped around but the tide is starting to shift I have climbed back into red ranks with her taking no prisoners excited to keep getting more practice. Still waiting for Surge and Shadowborn/Monitor tho @GoodBoyKaru. Really wanted to try the surge recommendation and still have plenty of completely blind moments coming out of blinks.

    Surge, I'm so proud

    Untitled Image


  • I have put in work with her past week in a half when i started she was basic level 40. Tonight she will be P2 and none of those perks I have mentioned have showed up in my web. My current loadout is Thano, Disco, Infectious, and I recently (5 games ago) swapped nurses with ruin and it was best thing I could have done. Would still rather have Surge tho and Monitor works so well with infectious.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1986777#Comment_1986777

    I made an exception for Nurse but other than that i only use the killers that get BBQ. I use rift/dailies/P3 50's to help level the others to get bbq instead of playing without. Got BBQ on Legion last night so I'll be able to take him his last run through now there a fun one to use. Nurse has become one of my fav's though seems like overnight but it's really been like a week in a half. Went from rank 2 down to 6 with her getting bullied and slapped around but the tide is starting to shift I have climbed back into red ranks with her taking no prisoners excited to keep getting more practice. Still waiting for Surge and Shadowborn/Monitor tho @GoodBoyKaru. Really wanted to try the surge recommendation and still have plenty of completely blind moments coming out of blinks.

    Yeah it's a good bonus to have to level up for sure.. I mostly use up the streamers and puddings before prestige, whether I have bbq or not,. I still have a bunch of anniversary cakes on a few killers to use to help with the grind as well if I'm out of good bloodpoints offerings on the killer I'm leveling.

    Nurse is pretty fun to play, learning curve is up there, so you definitely get a lot of matches where you hardly connect any hits, but once you're used to the blink muscle memory, she's great

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1986798#Comment_1986798

    Yeah it's a good bonus to have to level up for sure.. I mostly use up the streamers and puddings before prestige, whether I have bbq or not,. I still have a bunch of anniversary cakes on a few killers to use to help with the grind as well if I'm out of good bloodpoints offerings on the killer I'm leveling.

    Nurse is pretty fun to play, learning curve is up there, so you definitely get a lot of matches where you hardly connect any hits, but once you're used to the blink muscle memory, she's great

    Ya I use the Puddings and steamers too also any green huntings and brutalities so I can stockpile enough to take them at least to 15 after the prestige. If I don't have enough I will buy a perk from the shrine to get BP's from it as I have all the perks and don't need shards for outfits because i own all the outfits well all the good ones anyhow.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1986857#Comment_1986857

    Ya I use the Puddings and steamers too also any green huntings and brutalities so I can stockpile enough to take them at least to 15 after the prestige. If I don't have enough I will buy a perk from the shrine to get BP's from it as I have all the perks and don't need shards for outfits because i own all the outfits well all the good ones anyhow.

    Mostly using the shards for the unlicensed chapters since I have so many of them now, but I do buy the first time perks in the shrine since they're worth more points of you look at the ratio vs regular perks. I try to farm as many points as I can before prestige.. Around a million gets you close to 37-38, gives a nice boost and chance for good perks to show up in there (though honestly there's been many times where nothing I want was in there but its fine it forces me to use a different build)

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    This isn’t a “bBq OP!!” post. I’d like to simply share some thoughts on the many things about BBQ that irritate me.

    Let’s not pretend that BBQ is only as popular as it is for the bonus BP. Sure, I stand by the notion that it’s healthy for killer perks to have incentives that encourage the killer to NOT camp a hook, but I really, REALLY wish it provided something OTHER than revealing survivor auras.

    • It feels like OTHER survivors are being punished for someone ELSE losing a chase.
    • It’s sometimes simply not possible to reach a locker in time before a hook occurs.
    • It’s sometimes not possible to angle oneself behind a gen in a way that perfectly hides an aura.
    • The “change direction after 4 seconds” strategy is bollocks. There are many times a hook can occur that leaves little time to try and throw the killer off because the area I’m in has few LoS blockers, and I can’t get out of sight without leaving obvious scratch marks.
    • Oh and please don’t pretend you’re so godly at survivor that it doesn’t matter where you are when BBQ reveals you, and if the killer goes for you that you can just ALWAYS be in an optimal position AND always outrun the killer and avoid being hit.
    • It’s really crappy when the killer also runs Iron Maiden. Especially with its recent buff.
    • It’s really crappy trying to run towards the the killer to attempt to get within the 40m blind spot, only to be caught out because you’re just ever so slightly in BBQ’s active range, thus the first survivor the killer goes for.

    Give the killer a location notification. Or Haste when outside of a certain range of the hook until a survivor is unhooked. Something, anything other than the aura revealing.

    It's funny you mention something about hooks. In one of my post I complain about the number of hooks and the distance. I believe there is no fighting chance for the survivor when they are on the killers shoulder

  • BBQ is perfectly fine, and is meant to draw the killer away from the hook. 40 meters is roughly 9 seconds to get yourself into a good position if the killer is headed your way. Run Kindred, and you can see which of your teammates the killer is heading for next. Or run Spine Chill to see if they're headed your way.