What would you guess the average age of DBD players are?
To start this off, I'm throwing it out there that I'm old. Like, REALLY old, lol. At least in the context of the general player base, and I'm probably not anywhere near the target age demographic of video game companies if I had to guess.
I've played rounds as killer where I've messaged players after the game (I'm on console, with messages off normally) to either say GG when someone played exceptionally well against me, to apolgize if the game was really rough or there was a DC, or as a survivor to thank a teammate who might have made a great save or play during the match to help with an escape (to the PC Jane I couldn't message that Head-On stunned the killer in a match last week to save my tail, if you're out there and see this -- thank you, lol!).
In talking with a few of these players, a couple asked to play with my friend and I, and when we got into voice chat, I was stunned by how young some of them were. I know video games are more a younger person's thing, but I've run into players who were in the 11-14 age range more often than I would have believed I would have for a game with this type of content.
With those experiences in mind, I'm curious what the average age of the player base actually is. Is DBD filled with college age players? Kids? Late 20's/early 30's adults? Grumpy old people like myself, lol? I've never seen any data, if it exists. I try to put the possibility I'm playing with kids into mind whenever I get angry or frustrated over something that happens to me that's "toxic", telling myself that the person doing it might actually not be old enough to know better (not that I still don't get salty at times, but convincing myself that the relentlessly teabagging Claudette at the exit might be a 13 year old who hasn't learned better yet makes that salt a little less common, lol).
As a disclaimer, I'm just curious who I'm actually playing with/against. There's certainly no "right" age to be playing this game, and there are plenty of people, I'm sure, that are really young who show better manners than people twice their age. If I had to guess, I'd probably be the oldest person in any random match I'm a part of, but I'm wondering by exactly how much that actually is.
Comments
No idea I think it's mixed ages. I'm 42 so probably a bit older than most.
I would think the average is somewhere between late teens to late twenties. Personally almost every person I've met on this game was older than me. I'm 18 now but I started playing over 2 years ago. None of my peers that I knew of were into Dbd either so yeah.
It's possible...We may have just encountered a glitch in the Matrix ๐ค
You could make a separate thread about that.
Don't have to become irrelevant, though. Mentoring someone, either in gaming or IRL, is something the world needs more of.
34 today and everything you didn't do at 16 or in your 20's someone always has an opinion on. It's aggravating and disheartening.
My guess, going by streamers would be 22-25. I'm 30 and have played since Myers was released.
Wait, is it your birthday today???
If so happy birthday ๐ Beyond that- everyone will have an opinion on everything at every age. Can't stop that or control when they arrive at your front door.
What you CAN do is practice healthy boundaries. You can't control who shows up in your life or their opinions, but you have a voice to speak up and politely tell them to get off your damn lawn. Best wishes ๐
Im guessing mean is probably like 17-25.
Median is probably 20-30
Personally, I believe the average across all platforms might be early 20s.
I'd say when it started majority probably was 30/40s because of the 80s slasher vibe attracting those fans, but as it grew in popularity with streamers the majority switched to high school - college age. On fb dbd groups can see the ages of people and majority do seem to be that high school - college age group. In those FB groups there's a decent amount of late 20s/early 30s players that are parents posting about letting their elementary school aged kids play on their red/purple rank account and get upset at the messages/end chat the kids receives after a match.
I'm older too. Looking for swf who is closer to my age and just wanna chill and play the game and just enjoy it
Then create a thread there or answer to one which fits what you look for. You'll have better chance to find someone than answering to an year old thread which is not about finding teammates to play with.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/looking-for-players
13
I'm 53 and I've had people say such terrible things in the endgame chat. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I wonder if they'd talk to their mom or grandma that way. You have a good point though... I should just realize that it's probably immaturity. Who knows.
I got into this game because of my teenage son and his friends playing it. They moved on a couple years ago and here I am still playing it. :)
I'm one of those potato players when it comes to being chased. I'm not good at getting away, so I try to play more immersive.
I'm 23, my best friend is 23, and we usually encounter people either close to our age or slightly older/younger... even if they sometimes don't act like it.
How old are you?
Younger than you -- but not by much, lol.
You're only as old as you feel, though, right? ๐
My bf and I are 55 & 58 and play all the time. I play with my grandson who is 13.
Yep, that's true & I sort of feel the same. Just slower reflexes maybe. :)
I'm really enjoying this thread and seeing that there are other older players. :)
A lot of young teenagers, 20-30 year olds
I know this thread was a necro but it's nice seeing older players on here :)
I'm 31 although don't always act like it.
Honestly the average age is probably like 18-24?
I doubt it's much younger than that tbh, lots of older people play DBD
I stream on Twitch and record for YouTube. It's amazing how many times I watch back video of my matches and I'm amazed at the things I miss -- survivors in clear view trying to hide, aura readings, etc. -- that I'm just going to chalk up to poor eyesight and hearing at my age, lol. ๐คฃ
For a game thats meant for adults there sure is a lot of people that play/act like children in this game.
I'd say 15-29
I'm 31 myself, been playing DBD for 4+ years.
So far the average age of people that I've met playing DBD has been 20-30, at least anyone that I've bothered talking to and getting to know. Most of them are in their early 20s though rather.
30. My swf is 2 30 year olds, a 42 year old and a 18 year old lol
Mid 20's
What's your Twitch name? I'll check it out.
GeriatricGaming11. Appropriate, no? ๐ค๐
I play a lot of both Killer and Survivor and try to stay wholesome. Not easy with this game, sometimes, but I try, lol.
I'd say 15-20
I'm 14 so I would have to say the age of average players that play the game would have to be around 13-35 years of age, but that's just guess.
Ah
I've been playing dbd since I was 14 im 17 dbd has been the game carrying me through the years
15-30
I made a poll about this some time ago, here is the link:
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/251331/how-old-are-you/p1
On the forums only 20 percent is under 18. 66% of the people is in the 18-30 range. 31 and above is 14%.
I'm old enough to have seen all of the movies portrayed in dbd in the movie theater.
How do you feel about games today compared to games during your childhood?
edit: drat, it's a necro. Old posts should be automatically locked ...
I find this thread vaguely interesting so....
I am not old.
Are we doing this? Necromancy is a forbidden art.
Ah well ...
I'm not old either. I'm probably among the less young here though.
10/14 if you consider the general behavior of the playerbase regarding specific ways of play the game, 16/30 if we are talking only about age (probably)
I was certainly on the younger side when I started playing.
I'm still probably one of the younger one's on the Forums too.
I don't know. The way you discuss and argument I would have put you around 20, give or take. I'm pretty sure there are several 12 years old roaming here. (Also a guess from the way they express themselves.)
I wouldn't have guessed that -- you carry yourself as being much older (meant as a compliment). You tend to have well-stated opinions, are respectful even with those who disagree with you, your posts show little in the way of any bias and have an understanding of the bigger picture of the game, and you show a level of maturity in your posts overall.
Not too far off, but I'm definitely younger.
Thank you!
I try my best
Based on Salty tantrums I'd say there are far to many players under 15.