What would you guess the average age of DBD players are?

To start this off, I'm throwing it out there that I'm old. Like, REALLY old, lol. At least in the context of the general player base, and I'm probably not anywhere near the target age demographic of video game companies if I had to guess.

I've played rounds as killer where I've messaged players after the game (I'm on console, with messages off normally) to either say GG when someone played exceptionally well against me, to apolgize if the game was really rough or there was a DC, or as a survivor to thank a teammate who might have made a great save or play during the match to help with an escape (to the PC Jane I couldn't message that Head-On stunned the killer in a match last week to save my tail, if you're out there and see this -- thank you, lol!).

In talking with a few of these players, a couple asked to play with my friend and I, and when we got into voice chat, I was stunned by how young some of them were. I know video games are more a younger person's thing, but I've run into players who were in the 11-14 age range more often than I would have believed I would have for a game with this type of content.

With those experiences in mind, I'm curious what the average age of the player base actually is. Is DBD filled with college age players? Kids? Late 20's/early 30's adults? Grumpy old people like myself, lol? I've never seen any data, if it exists. I try to put the possibility I'm playing with kids into mind whenever I get angry or frustrated over something that happens to me that's "toxic", telling myself that the person doing it might actually not be old enough to know better (not that I still don't get salty at times, but convincing myself that the relentlessly teabagging Claudette at the exit might be a 13 year old who hasn't learned better yet makes that salt a little less common, lol).

As a disclaimer, I'm just curious who I'm actually playing with/against. There's certainly no "right" age to be playing this game, and there are plenty of people, I'm sure, that are really young who show better manners than people twice their age. If I had to guess, I'd probably be the oldest person in any random match I'm a part of, but I'm wondering by exactly how much that actually is.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @ChiSoxFan11 said:

    To start this off, I'm throwing it out there that I'm old. Like, REALLY old, lol. At least in the context of the general player base, and I'm probably not anywhere near the target age demographic of video game companies if I had to guess.

    I've played rounds as killer where I've messaged players after the game (I'm on console, with messages off normally) to either say GG when someone played exceptionally well against me, to apolgize if the game was really rough or there was a DC, or as a survivor to thank a teammate who might have made a great save or play during the match to help with an escape (to the PC Jane I couldn't message that Head-On stunned the killer in a match last week to save my tail, if you're out there and see this -- thank you, lol!).

    In talking with a few of these players, a couple asked to play with my friend and I, and when we got into voice chat, I was stunned by how young some of them were. I know video games are more a younger person's thing, but I've run into players who were in the 11-14 age range more often than I would have believed I would have for a game with this type of content.

    With those experiences in mind, I'm curious what the average age of the player base actually is. Is DBD filled with college age players? Kids? Late 20's/early 30's adults? Grumpy old people like myself, lol? I've never seen any data, if it exists. I try to put the possibility I'm playing with kids into mind whenever I get angry or frustrated over something that happens to me that's "toxic", telling myself that the person doing it might actually not be old enough to know better (not that I still don't get salty at times, but convincing myself that the relentlessly teabagging Claudette at the exit might be a 13 year old who hasn't learned better yet makes that salt a little less common, lol).

    As a disclaimer, I'm just curious who I'm actually playing with/against. There's certainly no "right" age to be playing this game, and there are plenty of people, I'm sure, that are really young who show better manners than people twice their age. If I had to guess, I'd probably be the oldest person in any random match I'm a part of, but I'm wondering by exactly how much that actually is.

    Im on Xbox and anytime I go for a custom match and put up a group post 99% of them are 11-15. Only a couple have been adults

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    Based on Salty tantrums I'd say there are far to many players under 15.

    There are def older people throwing tantrums as well.

  • @Phantom_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3047985#Comment_3047985

    There are def older people throwing tantrums as well.

    True, physical age doesn't always equate to mental maturity

  • I'm 38, when I'm on social media in certain gaming groups, I see most people in my age range, 30-45.

    When we were teenagers, gaming really started to become popular in the late 90's with the playstation 1 era. Before that, gaming was more of a niche, with the PS1 it became mainstream. And when gaming became mainstream, we were just in our teenage years, we took off with this hobby and it grew on many of us.

    That's why it doesn't surprise me when I see many gamers in my age group. why should we give up a hobby we love just because we are getting older? Other people don't do that with their hobbies either.

    I'll still be playing video games when I'm 80, hopefully if I'm physically able to do so.

    In fact, with DBD, most of the people I've met here are 18-25. DBD, on average, seems to attract a younger community more than many other games I play besides DBD.

    I always feel a bit strange when someone asks the age of the other players in a random group in disord. And everyone is like, "yeah, I'm 21, I'm 23, I'm 19" and I....ooomph....lol.

    I also find it very amusing that some people who are now in their early 20s can't believe that we "old" people already knew video games. haha. I also have a son, he´s 21 years old, he´s a gamer too, and he got his passion for gaming from me, he used to watch me play as a kid or play racing games sitting on my lap. He's been playing DBD longer than me and is pretty good at it.

    At the end of the day, I don't care how old my teammates are. I get along with almost everyone as long as the person has a minimum of intellectual maturity.

  • I'd say it's around 15-18.

    I'm 28 so I'm old.

  • Im 21 now and been playing since i was 17

  • Judging by the LFG posts....lots of kids.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3047830#Comment_3047830

    I was certainly on the younger side when I started playing.

    I'm still probably one of the younger one's on the Forums too.

    Wait, you're just a little Victor? Based off a few certain comments I assumed you were at least on the wrong end of 20 like me at least..

  • @lauraa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3047837#Comment_3047837

    Wait, you're just a little Victor? Based off a few certain comments I assumed you were at least on the wrong end of 20 like me at least..

    Oh, I'm on the wrong end of twenty alright.

    Meaning I'm not even twenty

  • For Europe where i play, i'd say around 14-30

  • I'm not sure what the average age is. But I'm 21 and started playing early last year.

  • Would 21 be considered young in the DBD community?

  • I'd guess between 16 and 20.

    This kind of genre the game is in (Horror/Slasher genre) usually attracts those age groups more than others.

  • I went to a cinema and 2 kids with their parent to see a 12s movie were talking about the Dredge.

  • A lot of DBD is based on 80's slashers so aside from some diehard cynical Gen X'ers, like myself, I'd say...

    Physical age mid 20's to mid 30's, emotional age 6-14 given all the tantrums, ego and sore loser'ism.

  • 28 here. I'd say the majority of players are in the 14 - 30 range, but of course people of all ages play.

    As others have said, based on some of the comments on this forum and how people behave in games, it definitely looks like more children play than adults.

1 2 3 ›