Looping in dbd

So after having played this game for quite some time as both killer and survivor i can say without a doubt that looping and being looped are in my opinion some of the most boring moments of gameplay that i have experienced second only to doing survivor objectives so i thought i’d make a post here to see if others agree or disagree and maybe people could give justifications to their opinion

as survivor looping is quite boring because there is no variation it is usually just run around a tile until either the window gets blocked or the pallet is dropped and destroyed whilst there is skill involved it just feel boring especially when the most optimal way to do this is to do so until the killer loses interest rather than when the killer loses sight of you

as killer survivors do as above and you either have to mind game which only really works if there is a line of sight blocker or hope they mess up if it’s in the middle of nowhere and it becomes even more boring with slow killers or killers that have to brute force the loop

another thing is that people generally get ######### on for running stealth perks and while i do find the people who just hide and do nothing annoying stealth does feel like an interesting way to shake things up

so basically i want to know the communities thoughts about looping and other potential playstyles that may be better or just more fun for both sides

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Yes and i stand by that but i’ve not once said that i don’t want it to exist at all i recognise that it is needed but i wish that there was something more interesting about it than just running in a circle or that there would be fewer

  • @lowiq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661545#Comment_1661545

    Which would then be balanced by larger maps with more dead zones.

    Basically you're asking for every map to be like shelter woods. Which is miserable for survivors and not that fun for killers.

    i just don’t enjoy as both survivor or killer running from loop to loop until i ######### up or the killer loses interest

  • @oxygen said:

    It's only as boring as the tile it's happening on.

    An actual tile with walls and a chance to trick the other player? A chance to learn how someone runs/chases throughout a match and counter that based on their habits? And a chance for them to throw you off by doing something unexpected? That's the most fun thing in the game if you ask me.

    A trash heap Autohaven loop where all you basically do can do is hold W until the pallet goes down? Yeah that's pretty boring.

    And theirs so many so close together 🤦‍♂️

  • Speak for yourself, OP. That rush of looping a killer for 5 gens into the exit gate is awwwesssooommmeee.

  • Looping is the fun is this game. If looping gets removed survivors just die once they get found so that will lead to hiding all game. I absolutely hate playing killer against stealth gamers, most mind numbingly boring thing there is.

  • For me looping is fun because i either win or lose, im not very good at looping so it makes md happy when i do it right.

    I do occasionally play stealthy games, but not extreme immersion. Its better for me to be the gen jockey that I am given my lack of looping skills lmao.

  • I don't loop. I try to evade the killer by using other tactics. More often than not I get caught. If I found looping enjoyable I would do it no matter what others thought about it on this forum.

  • I find it the most fun when I try to save a hooked survivor from a camping killer on my own cuz the other survivors left.


    There is a 20% chance I will succeed the save and both of us making it out.


    There is a 50% chance 1 of us will still make it out .


    There is a 50% chance we will both die or I will fail the save. It depends on the killer and his loadouts as well my perks and items, and some randomness to happen.

  • I created an account just to say I agree, because I think I know what you mean

    Optimal survivors who loop you, stun, and run to the next loop are pretty annoying and it really doesn't require as much skill as most people in this thread are saying. For killers it kinda just creates long amounts of wasted time you can do almost nothing to avoid, unless a survivor makes a mistake.

    They shouldn't just remove safe loops or god pallets but they should generally just make loops less safe. Some of the most fun experiences I've had playing this game are on maps like hawkins or the hospital with almost non-existent loops. And I'm saying this as a survivor main, because optimal looping really just isn't fun.

    Also, to the people saying things like "looping is dbd" it's really not all there is to the game and blendettes prove that. There's just too many problems overshadowing these other parts of the game, like a lack of interactivity, and meta perks

  • Chases are the reason DBD is as popular as it is. Without them, the gameplay would be extremely stale.

  • People who think looping is the only thing in this game aren't really putting themselves in the game. When I play survivor, I play to survive. I help other survivors when I can. There have been matched I sacrificed myself to improve the odds of other players, but mostly, I'm just someone trying to survive after being dropped in the trial by the entity.

    When I play killer, all I want is to kill as many as I can. If some is successfully looping me, they are waisting my time. Sure, they aren't doing generators, but up to 3 others are. So I will hunt them and go after the looper later.

  • If you chase mindlessly or don't try things whilst chased, then it gets boring. It's up to you to make your chases fun - both as killer and survivor

  • What i hate is when surv is literally running a circle around a truck or some crates and i cant get bloodlust and it just goes on. That is boring chasing. Looping how ever is fun. Killer shack looping is fun. (When in surv)

  • @Bullettimegod said:

    What i hate is when surv is literally running a circle around a truck or some crates and i cant get bloodlust and it just goes on. That is boring chasing. Looping how ever is fun. Killer shack looping is fun. (When in surv)

    You need to hug the structure you're chasing around and round the corners as tightly as possible. It may sound like an overkill, but it makes the difference between a survivor making 5 circles and only 1 or 2 circles (loops).

  • @Bullettimegod said:

    What i hate is when surv is literally running a circle around a truck or some crates and i cant get bloodlust and it just goes on. That is boring chasing. Looping how ever is fun. Killer shack looping is fun. (When in surv)

    Btw. This doesnt mean i want looping gone. Chasing to me is the best part of dbd.

    @Accullla said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1662670#Comment_1662670

    You need to hug the structure you're chasing around and round the corners as tightly as possible. It may sound like an overkill, but it makes the difference between a survivor making 5 circles and only 1 or 2 circles (loops).

    Yea i know. I do play at red ranks. But i still. Find it so boring and not interactive. Its literally just running in a circle like a old tom and jerry commercial.

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    So after having played this game for quite some time as both killer and survivor i can say without a doubt that looping and being looped are in my opinion some of the most boring moments of gameplay that i have experienced second only to doing survivor objectives so i thought i’d make a post here to see if others agree or disagree and maybe people could give justifications to their opinion

    as survivor looping is quite boring because there is no variation it is usually just run around a tile until either the window gets blocked or the pallet is dropped and destroyed whilst there is skill involved it just feel boring especially when the most optimal way to do this is to do so until the killer loses interest rather than when the killer loses sight of you

    as killer survivors do as above and you either have to mind game which only really works if there is a line of sight blocker or hope they mess up if it’s in the middle of nowhere and it becomes even more boring with slow killers or killers that have to brute force the loop

    another thing is that people generally get ######### on for running stealth perks and while i do find the people who just hide and do nothing annoying stealth does feel like an interesting way to shake things up

    so basically i want to know the communities thoughts about looping and other potential playstyles that may be better or just more fun for both sides

    When you get looped for I minute and you haven't gotten a hit don't just commit to it and also your buying survivors time to get gens done so it's always best to chase a survivor if there taking you away from gens then that how you tell that there distracting you and also survivors get distraction points. Also it's best to run discordance, ruin, or surveillance so you know if a survivor (s) get back on the gen. But when chasing a survivor if you don't manage to get a hit off them your not bad if you go for another survivor.

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661474#Comment_1661474

    If you had actually read the thread you would’ve seen i don’t have a problem with chasing it’s just looping that i find tedious

    and you dont find holding m1 tedious?

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661561#Comment_1661561

    i just don’t enjoy as both survivor or killer running from loop to loop until i ######### up or the killer loses interest

    then you should play another game, this clearly isnt for you since its all this game has

  • A mix of stealth and looping, depending on the situation. I hate "Iron Will" due to it's buggy status.

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    So after having played this game for quite some time as both killer and survivor i can say without a doubt that looping and being looped are in my opinion some of the most boring moments of gameplay that i have experienced second only to doing survivor objectives so i thought i’d make a post here to see if others agree or disagree and maybe people could give justifications to their opinion

    as survivor looping is quite boring because there is no variation it is usually just run around a tile until either the window gets blocked or the pallet is dropped and destroyed whilst there is skill involved it just feel boring especially when the most optimal way to do this is to do so until the killer loses interest rather than when the killer loses sight of you

    as killer survivors do as above and you either have to mind game which only really works if there is a line of sight blocker or hope they mess up if it’s in the middle of nowhere and it becomes even more boring with slow killers or killers that have to brute force the loop

    another thing is that people generally get ######### on for running stealth perks and while i do find the people who just hide and do nothing annoying stealth does feel like an interesting way to shake things up

    so basically i want to know the communities thoughts about looping and other potential playstyles that may be better or just more fun for both sides

    Hello, this is the first time I have ever read someone being bored with looping. Everyone in the community loves this as it can be fun. Things that j can suggest is maybe try not looping and using different perks that allow you to have a different play then looping. If not that, maybe come up with a mechanic they could implement instead of just complaining you know? And then if it's still boring after you after some time, I suggest switching games, it may not be for you.

  • Being looped at a strong loop into another strong loop is so boring ill agree with that but other than that looping a killer is the only exciting thing in the game. As a survivor I want to be chased its boring just holding M1 and urban evading to my next gen.

  • Looping is stupid and should be reworked or overhauled, cause no new player is going to look at running in a circle and say "Wow that looks fun!"

  • @HDivineShadow said:

    People who think looping is the only thing in this game aren't really putting themselves in the game. When I play survivor, I play to survive. I help other survivors when I can. There have been matched I sacrificed myself to improve the odds of other players, but mostly, I'm just someone trying to survive after being dropped in the trial by the entity.

    When I play killer, all I want is to kill as many as I can. If some is successfully looping me, they are waisting my time. Sure, they aren't doing generators, but up to 3 others are. So I will hunt them and go after the looper later.

    I agree looping optimaly gets boring real quick what i like to do i loop in the most brainded ways ever or just be completely random its fun seeing the killer lose u after doing something extremly random

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    um, Looping is the only sign of skill and fun to be found in this game

    hiding and holding M1 oh man im shaking with excitement

    Flashlight saves. Cj techs.

  • @OrangeJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/196089/looping-in-dbd

    There are already a bunch of killers that already subvert the common looping playstyle and can do other stuff aside from red stain mindgames:

    Nurse: You should not be "looping" a nurse unless she's really bad

    Pyramid head with his M2s

    Doctor: You can get people even with the pallet down with his shocks

    Spirit

    Clown

    Huntress sometimes

    Freddy with his snares.

    Lol I played against a nurse who didnt blink earlier, and somehow a teammate got downed.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    I think looping would be more exciting if people knew how to loop better. This is precisely why DBD needs a practice mode. It's hard to practice and get good at something when higher skilled players walk all over with you.

    Nurse would still exist though.

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1660871#Comment_1660871

    I do enjoy chases don’t get me wrong it’s just the repetitive nature of looping that bores me

    in regards to what keeps me playing that is partially because of game lore and partially because i do still enjoy most of the game i just find looping tedious

    I found games only felt repetitive at higher ranks. There are strong loops and players with more experience tend to hyperfocus on those loops as their main destination. So every chase starts to get predictable and often you make the decision to drop chase based on how close you are to the standard play loop. The double window in the asylum main building comes to mind.

    Not to say they can't be played around or don't have counters but the predictability of it all makes for dull games. I found survivors mix it up a lot more in the mid ranks, making mistakes or running tiles sub optimally, allowing me to run tiles suboptimally and generally sweat less and get more creative on the mindgames.

    The standard optimal tile runs are so well known now that common mindgames are almost formulaic at this point. Also a mistake in the mindgame genreally costs the killer more than the survivor so as killer your sweat factor goes up quite a bit when you game with folks who can run tiles optimally consistently.

    I prefer the dreaded game of cat and mouse over ring-a-ring a rosey as both survivor and killer.

  • @Orionbash said:

    Speak for yourself, OP. That rush of looping a killer for 5 gens into the exit gate is awwwesssooommmeee.

    But not for killer. It's miserable. I agree with OP. Of course survivors would never want anything that would hinder their ability to run for 5 gens. To me, that shouldn't even be possible. It takes no skill, the other survivors are playing gen simulator and the killer is just chasing you in circles. Survivors who do this think they're good and don't realize it's poor design. The simple fact that that's a thing proves DBD is survivor sided. And the argument is always drop the chase and find someone else or use a killer that can help at loops. Those are band aid fixes. I wanna play whatever killer I want with whatever build and still have a chance. But nobody is willing to budge to make sure both sides are engaged and having fun. Regardless of what you or any other survivors say, the killer isn't a play thing to mess with and bully, they're people trying to play some games and have a good time too. You need each other. Theres no dbd without both sides and I know plenty of people who've stopped playing killer because you have to sweat so much. You wanna loop for 5 gens and rush gens but throw fits when a killer camps, tunnels, or slugs. I'm not saying you personally, just using your reply to build an argument.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1660876#Comment_1660876

    I found games only felt repetitive at higher ranks. There are strong loops and players with more experience tend to hyperfocus on those loops as their main destination. So every chase starts to get predictable and often you make the decision to drop chase based on how close you are to the standard play loop. The double window in the asylum main building comes to mind.

    Not to say they can't be played around or don't have counters but the predictability of it all makes for dull games. I found survivors mix it up a lot more in the mid ranks, making mistakes or running tiles sub optimally, allowing me to run tiles suboptimally and generally sweat less and get more creative on the mindgames.

    The standard optimal tile runs are so well known now that common mindgames are almost formulaic at this point. Also a mistake in the mindgame genreally costs the killer more than the survivor so as killer your sweat factor goes up quite a bit when you game with folks who can run tiles optimally consistently.

    I prefer the dreaded game of cat and mouse over ring-a-ring a rosey as both survivor and killer.

    Yeah i agree it seems that the problem with looping that makes it feel so tedious is not only the sheer number of loops that there are but also the fact that as you get higher in the ranks survivors and killers both are able to run the loops more optimally and because there isn’t any real variation of things you can do at loops it just ends up being the same thing over and over

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664338#Comment_1664338

    Yeah i agree it seems that the problem with looping that makes it feel so tedious is not only the sheer number of loops that there are but also the fact that as you get higher in the ranks survivors and killers both are able to run the loops more optimally and because there isn’t any real variation of things you can do at loops it just ends up being the same thing over and over

    Name one tile that can't be mindgamed.

  • Half walls on autohaven maps as well as crotus pren asylum where the survivor can see you the whole time

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665024#Comment_1665024

    Half walls on autohaven maps as well as crotus pren asylum where the survivor can see you the whole time

    Asylum is a very annoying loop but it can be mindgamed by dropping down from the second floor. That being said it spawns in one map. There are maybe 2 main buildings that can't be mindgamed, but once again only spawn in one map.

    If you're talking about a long wall jungle gym, they can be mindgamed by faking running one side and then vaulting the window to cut a lot of distance.

    Either way, as both killer and survivor, there are a lot of things you can do to swing typical loops in your favor if you don't play on autopilot.

  • @lowiq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665071#Comment_1665071

    Asylum is a very annoying loop but it can be mindgamed by dropping down from the second floor. That being said it spawns in one map. There are maybe 2 main buildings that can't be mindgamed, but once again only spawn in one map.

    If you're talking about a long wall jungle gym, they can be mindgamed by faking running one side and then vaulting the window to cut a lot of distance.

    Either way, as both killer and survivor, there are a lot of things you can do to swing typical loops in your favor if you don't play on autopilot.

    Sorry if i wasn’t clear but i meant the loops on crotus pren where there are half walls which is a large majority and there are quite a few on almost every map those ones are the ones that are generally used as filler in the maps and they are the ones i find most tedious

  • @justtrynaplay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665094#Comment_1665094

    Sorry if i wasn’t clear but i meant the loops on crotus pren where there are half walls which is a large majority and there are quite a few on almost every map those ones are the ones that are generally used as filler in the maps and they are the ones i find most tedious

    Safe filler pallets - 1 to 2 loops at most. 15 seconds of time at most. And even then there's mind games as survivor. If you expect killer to respect the pallet you can get another loop out of the pallet.

    Unsafe Filler Pallets - Definitely requires good play from both sides. Survivor must get a stun and killer needs to bait out the pallet without getting stunned. If pallet gets dropped then survivors need to decide to commit to a vault or fake the vault and killers need to predict or bloodlust.

  • I find that running the killer is the most exciting part of the game and more entertaining than holding a button and timing a skill check

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    um, Looping is the only sign of skill and fun to be found in this game

    hiding and holding M1 oh man im shaking with excitement

    Hiding and holding M1 in a tense situation where I'll die immediately if found because DH is at five stacks and it's a good Nurse gets my heart rate going. That's what I live for.

    @op the act of looping is pretty boring. Going around in circles to abuse the killer's larger hitbox can be tiresome at times, but I find fun in chases when I get to know what the survivors want to do so I can then try some crazy shenanigans to catch them off guard. This really only applies in jungle gyms or loops with solid, high walls. Also, I play a lot of Huntress, so even when there are low walls, I can do stuff.

    But I feel you. I've played no-cloak Wraith before with no perks on an open map with good survivors, and it was extremely tiresome to participate in chases around any sort of structures. Reminds me of what it was like when infinites were a thing (just feeling-wise. It's obv not the same. Don't jump on me).

1 2 ›