How is it fair for chests to spawn keys?

From my experience ( don't know about you guys), almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends.

All the prep work and effort the Killer had to do is now completely discarded because free escape keys. Why is this allowed and how is it fair?

If one of the Survivors brought a key right from the start, I can completely understand and revise my strategy. But there's literally no counter to unexpected keys from chests in a 3 gen situation.

Tagged: DevTrusted

Comments

  • This only proves how killer mains scream that the game is imbalanced when they lose 1 game out of 100.

    On topic though:

    "almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends"

    Where s the video of survivors finding a key in every single game. Until then your thread is invalid.

  • @Reborn2020 said:

    This only proves how killer mains scream that the game is imbalanced when they lose 1 game out of 100.

    On topic though:

    "almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends"

    Where s the video of survivors finding a key in every single game. Until then your thread is invalid.

    Read my post again, it says "From my experience ( don't know about you guys), almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends."

    I never said "every single game".

  • @DeadHardMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1208033#Comment_1208033

    Read my post again, it says "From my experience ( don't know about you guys), almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends."

    I never said "every single game".

    Not in My experience as a killer. I rarely get hit like that. Also, I rather them just go on out the hatch then with the key then roaming around the map not doing anything to progress and holding the game hostage. I had 2 survivors the other night who 3 gen themselves. They refused to try to get any gen on and just hid for literally 20 mins. Hoping I would just DC.

  • @Steel_Eyed said:

    Could you imagine if killers found a Mori during the match?

    That would be really scary and funny :D

  • Can't say I relate. I almost never find a key unless it's really early in the game, and then I have key in my hand from the start so the killer can tunnel me down...

    Other than that, I pretty much always have to bring Plunderer just to get a chance to find anything but a brown toolbox, and it feels like a pretty good portion of the time I'm getting maps anyway, not keys.

  • @DeadHardMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207446#Comment_1207446

    Well, the "extra drama" isn't exactly fun when nearly 90% of the game was you outsmarting the Survivors and them just cheaply escaping at the last second.

    Oh and "Entity Displeased"

    Dude you aren't getting entity displeased if you won 90% of the game. You must have at least 2 dead and plenty of hook actions if you won 90% of the game, in which case is at a minimum a safety pip.

    If you are getting entity displeased, then you were not getting hook actions nor a good gatekeeper emblem.

    Also killers say "bring a key and I bring a mori" so now we want to punish them for luckily finding an item too?

    They still needed to complete enough gens for the hatch to spawn. It's also pretty rare. I have only found 2 keys in chests. And both times I was running plunderwrs , so I basically gave up a perk slot to get lucky, which is what the perk is for.

  • @xEa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207435#Comment_1207435

    Then you are really unlucky. For me, 1/10 chest searches is a skeleton or dull key.

    Topic:

    They should lower the chance to find a key in chests, but removing the possibility at all is not the way to go.

    If one of the Survivors brought a key right from the start, I can completely understand and revise my strategy. But there's literally no counter to unexpected keys from chests in a 3 gen situation.

    That is not a valid argument, since surivovrs also dont know you might bring a mori until its to late to react to that.

    That last part makes no sense?

    Survivors will know if you have a mori, because the offering doesn't flip.

  • @NursesBootie said:

    Just a quick thought of little poor me.

    Keys without addons just got two base stats: duration and range. You can't open the hatch with them anymore. As a tradeoff you can read survivor AND killer auras with the two stats you got on the key. For example:

    |Green Key| 10 seconds duration, 8 metres range

    |Purple Key| 15 seconds duration, 12 metres range

    |Iridescent Key| 20 seconds duration , 16 metres range

    Addons like Blood Amber and Gold Token now increase the aura reading range on either the killer or survivors.

    And now the big one: The addons "Milky Glass" and "Weaved Ring" get a rework. They grant you the ability to open the hatch with the key.

    The new addons:

    |Weaved Ring| Removes the natural aura reading abilities of the key. Grants the ability to open the hatch with the key after channeling for 8 seconds with a map wide non directional sound queue.

    |Milky Glass (New rarity, rare)| Removes the natural aura reading abilities of the key. Grants the ability to open the hatch with the key after channeling for 15 seconds with a map wide non directional sound queue.

    And? What do you guys think about my idea, going in line with a mori change of course?

    @BigBrainMegMain @GrootDude @Peanits @DepressedClownMain @SurviveByDaylight @Almo @Aven_Fallen @DepressedNurseMain @not_Queen

    First of all, I love the idea of having Keys as a Player-Aura Read. I am not sure if it should be for Killer and Survivor at base, because while it might only be 8 meters, this would be enough to see the Killer in a chase and eliminate the Mindgame Potential the Killer might have.

    Using Add Ons to open the Hatch would be an option, indeed. Also a channeling time is ok, but why a sound? To alert the Killer that someone is about to open the Hatch? Depending where he is, this might not help at all. And if the Hatch is far away from the Exit Gates, this would be hard to patrol. I am twisted on this one, because on one hand I would love if the Killer would have to do something to avoid an Escape by patrolling between Hatch and Exit Gates, on the other hand it could be quite unfair for one side or the other.

    Personally, I would only let the pink Key open the Hatch and keep the Add Ons the same, except for Milky Glass and Weaved Ring. Those should change so if the Hatch is opened, the Key is gone. Same for the Survivor dying, he should not have an option to keep the Key in this case.

    (Even tho, for my idea Keys should not spawn in chest, making Plunderers a Perk even less people would use, because they main reason to run it is for Keys, while your idea would not result in that, since the Survivor finds a Key they can use and if they want to find one to open the Hatch, they need to dedicate two Perk Slots to it AND get lucky... So I would say that your idea would make more sense, because it is always good if Perks dont get killed and there is some variety)

  • @MegaWaffle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207435#Comment_1207435

    A complaint or concern does not become invalid simply because you experienced something differently.

    I use to play a Plunders 3 build where the items I pulled from chests determined my playstyle/challenges and I cannot fathom the amount of purple keys I got.

    The last time I used plunder tier 3, I got 2 pink keys, 1 dull and 1 broken. Might as well add that Monto posted a vid where he found about 5+ keys on the game map with plunders.

  • @Clevite said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207452#Comment_1207452

    Dude you aren't getting entity displeased if you won 90% of the game. You must have at least 2 dead and plenty of hook actions if you won 90% of the game, in which case is at a minimum a safety pip.

    If you are getting entity displeased, then you were not getting hook actions nor a good gatekeeper emblem.

    Also killers say "bring a key and I bring a mori" so now we want to punish them for luckily finding an item too?

    They still needed to complete enough gens for the hatch to spawn. It's also pretty rare. I have only found 2 keys in chests. And both times I was running plunderwrs , so I basically gave up a perk slot to get lucky, which is what the perk is for.

    You bring up a fair point. That i think alot seem to forget, you need to get the gens done for the hatch to spawn. That and maybe one or two survivors dead, unless you finish them all.


    Which yeah i never got the idea behind someone brings a key, so the killer will bring a mori. Just seems like you are denying yourself blood points. By making the game shorter. Heck when up against a huntress once with the add on that makes her range attack into a one shot and she brought a mori along. That game ended so quickly, i think the highest amount of blood points was 12k from the killer. Who was not running bbq. I don't think they even made enough blood points to pay for the items and adds on they used. Yeah the killer won the game but at what cost? I would rather three survivors escape and get 20k or 22k blood points, than to murder them all but only get 12k blood points. Since heck, the person who holds the key will drop it on death. Allowing someone else to possibly find it. So someone would have to quickly mori all of the survivors, even the ones who didn't bring a key just to deny them a hatch escape.

    Heck i run plunderers from time to time with ace in the hole. Looted a key with the add on that allows you to keep it, even if you die. I died in the match and still got to keep the key. I rarely bring items into a match, due to playing to many rpgs and going. Hmm i might need this later, so i better not use it right now. That and from all the games i played. Only a handful of times did the survivors escape thanks to a key. Normally it through the exit gates or being left for dead and finding the hatch before the killer. Like the one time me and a spirit found the hatch at around the time but i was slightly faster and got to it first. It was a blast. Which does makes me wonder, just how many games are won with the majority of survivors escaping, thanks to a key? Since from the games i play, it very rarely seems to happen. Making keys a thing that can influence a game from time to time but not really all the time.

  • @DaGreenBolt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207596#Comment_1207596

    That last part makes no sense?

    Survivors will know if you have a mori, because the offering doesn't flip.

    Yes, but explain me how this will help survivors with their loadout? OP said he can deal with keys he sees on survivors in the lobby, so my response was, that survivors have no information at all. How should they know its a mori and how should they react to that? Its 2 late to bring better items/other perks etc

  • @Almo said:

    Sometimes they green keys >:)

    Thank you very much for not answering the question, Ethan.

  • Can I play in some of those games? All I usually find are worthless flashlights. Also, I thought you had to run Plunderers to get keys?

  • keys are a broken mechanic that needs to be either reworked or removed this is including mori's aswell. Both ruin the game for either side while giving the otherside in hindsight undeserved wins. while we can argue about which is stronger (keys are stronger than moris in my opinion) the simple matter of the fact is that it cuts gameplay down increadibly short and is un fun to both sides.

    So rework the keys or mori or remove them as they are ruining the game for either side.

  • @DeadHardMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207435#Comment_1207435

    Suvivors and Killer bring addons and items. Strategies/tactics can be changed when an addon or item is seen or used.

    With keys from chests, they're completely unpredictable and just broken OP.

    Except a Mori isn't an add-on, it's an offering and essentially the equivalent of them getting 3 addons.

  • And here's a prime example of why keys are fair to spawn randomly.. Last week I went up against an Iri Head huntress running Knockout. All she did the entire match was slug us until she could get at least 3 down before hooking someone. The match lasted for close to 15 minutes and she ended up making 2 people bleed out. It was down to a 2v1 and the other person was being chased, I was trying to find a med kit so I stopped yelling but ended up finding a key. Killer downed the 3rd survivor and camped her waiting for me to try and rescue.. I escaped via the hatch.


    If a Killer plays that way, they deserve to be punished for it.

  • @Ivaldi said:

    And here's a prime example of why keys are fair to spawn randomly.. Last week I went up against an Iri Head huntress running Knockout. All she did the entire match was slug us until she could get at least 3 down before hooking someone. The match lasted for close to 15 minutes and she ended up making 2 people bleed out. It was down to a 2v1 and the other person was being chased, I was trying to find a med kit so I stopped yelling but ended up finding a key. Killer downed the 3rd survivor and camped her waiting for me to try and rescue.. I escaped via the hatch.

    If a Killer plays that way, they deserve to be punished for it.

    It sounds like you still had a decent game and was able to do saves, heals etc as the match according to you lasted 15 minutes which is the average length of a dbd game. It also sounds like you and your team wasnt full adpating to her playstyle aswell or she was outplaying you, of course without knowing full details of the match like how many gens were done what perks were runned which map etc i can only guess on what the match was like but i would guess she was beating you and your team with a valid tactic and with some luck you escape

    so why does the killer deserved to be punished just because her tactic was working so well?

  • I don't mind keys in chest. They're fairly rare. If somebody gets any key in a trial it's far more likely to be a broken key. My only issue with keys in chests is if AITH gives it a key saving add on.

  • @xEa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1208156#Comment_1208156

    Yes, but explain me how this will help survivors with their loadout? OP said he can deal with keys he sees on survivors in the lobby, so my response was, that survivors have no information at all. How should they know its a mori and how should they react to that? Its 2 late to bring better items/other perks etc

    Thing is that at least the survivors can adapt in game, now that they know that the killer has a mori. A killer can adapt to a key found in a chest when its early game. Late game though, its essentially a lost cause for a killer.

    I'm okay with keys found randomly at a chest, because its like 7% to 10%, but the problem is how plunder's can essentially give you like a ton of keys in a match. I feel like Plunder's instinct shouldn't give an increased chance at keys at all.

  • @DeadHardMan said:

    Almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends.

    All the prep work and effort the Killer had to do is now completely discarded because free escape keys. Why is this allowed and how is it fair?

    If one of the Survivors brought a key right from the start, I can completely understand and revise my strategy. But there's literally no counter to unexpected keys from chests in a 3 gen situation.

    How are keys fair in general

  • @DaGreenBolt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207663#Comment_1207663

    The last time I used plunder tier 3, I got 2 pink keys, 1 dull and 1 broken. Might as well add that Monto posted a vid where he found about 5+ keys on the game map with plunders.

    Yeah Plunder and Ace in the (my) Hole are a staple in my gimmick build, where the item I get determines my goal/challenge. Its actually ridiculous how many keys (often with great add-ons to keep it) I get from chests. I normally end up giving them away to my team because I just don't like using them.

    I won't get involved in the argument of "whats stronger key vs Mori" because I think both those items/add-ons should not exist as they remove the need to do a core mechanic, and matches tend to end quickly as it is.

  • I dont think keys should be found in chests. Just my opinion. However i think a fair change woukd he to remove pink keys from chests. Change purple keys to only allow 1 person to escape and slightly increase the odds maybe.

    Pink keys will allow the hatch to remain open but would have to be brought into the match.

    Then you can change green mori to to purple and both the op add ons would be almost on same tier.

  • @DeadHardMan said:

    From my experience ( don't know about you guys), almost every single time Survivors put themselves into a 3 gen situation, one of them miraculously finds a key and escapes along with their friends.

    All the prep work and effort the Killer had to do is now completely discarded because free escape keys. Why is this allowed and how is it fair?

    If one of the Survivors brought a key right from the start, I can completely understand and revise my strategy. But there's literally no counter to unexpected keys from chests in a 3 gen situation.

    Even more so than this i hate it when it gets down to the last survivor i find hatch CLOSE IT and go to check gates only for the claudette to creep around find a key and open the hatch...

    If the killer CLOSES the hatch you should not be able to open it that is just stupid....

  • @sairen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/143526/how-is-it-fair-for-chests-to-spawn-keys

    Even more so than this i hate it when it gets down to the last survivor i find hatch CLOSE IT and go to check gates only for the claudette to creep around find a key and open the hatch...

    If the killer CLOSES the hatch you should not be able to open it that is just stupid....

    Actually that's exactly why there are keys. When the hatch changes came out, the clear message to survivors was that they needed to start using their keys more frequently or carry Plunderers for just that type of scenario.

  • @GeordieKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1208243#Comment_1208243

    It sounds like you still had a decent game and was able to do saves, heals etc as the match according to you lasted 15 minutes which is the average length of a dbd game. It also sounds like you and your team wasnt full adpating to her playstyle aswell or she was outplaying you, of course without knowing full details of the match like how many gens were done what perks were runned which map etc i can only guess on what the match was like but i would guess she was beating you and your team with a valid tactic and with some luck you escape

    so why does the killer deserved to be punished just because her tactic was working so well?

    Nah, thats definitely not how it sounds to me. LUL

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1207920#Comment_1207920

    Thank you very much for not answering the question, Ethan.

    Lol seriously, what an unproductive response that was. I often find the criticism the Devs get on this forum and reddit to be superfluous and immature (many of the players that frequent here are young I'm sure), but comments like this just foster the disdain for what people see as complacent developers unwilling to listen to consistently listen to their fans.

  • @Almo said:

    Sometimes they green keys >:)

    Can you suggest to the Devs in charge of item models to change the broken key model to an actual broken key. I hate drawing the ire of a Killer because they think I may have a fully functional key.

1 2 ›