Non-Exclusive Cosmetics

While I can understand the sentiment behind trying to prevent their resale, it bums me out that some cosmetics are being given out freely.

I understand and am happy for those players who might not otherwise have had access to the cosmetics, but it has made earning them less special.

For me in particular is the Huntress' Hound mask.

During this event, flashlights and pallet stuns made killers drop survivors at anypoint during the pickup animation.

It was a nightmare scenario that many players were completely baffled by.

Even through this nightmare people earned the related cosmetics.

This is what made this cosmetic special for me in particular.

The stun issue made it a monumental task to accomplish and I felt a special sense of accomplishment and the mask has been a part of my Huntress' look ever since.

Now, it's just given out.

Again, I understand that reselling codes was an issue, but why are event skins being included?

I'm sure people are going to say I'm trying to be elitist or trying to feel special holding onto a cosmetic that they didn't get a chance to earn... But isn't that the same as the Legacy cosmetics?

I missed out on gaining those because of when I started... wouldn't the same logic apply?

If you give away event cosmetics to everyone... I'd ask that you unlock legacy for everyone also.

This would also solve the problems of lost progress for those who had legacy and lost it at some point in time.

There are few proud moments I have in regards to this game... thank you for lessening its meaning by releasing the cosmetics for everyone.

Please do the same for Legacy if you want to be consistent with this decision.

Comments

  • @altruistic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/835443#Comment_835443

    Not everyone is going to agree with you.

    I have played the game since beta and have a lot of "exclusives."

    It doesn't hurt my feelings. I earned all the event skins as well, and again I don't care if they give them away.

    Telling people to "leave you alone" so you can have your safe space reminds me of a South Park episode.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/150/H4C041G6H53F.png

    Ok , i almost spit out my coffee reading this south park reference. LOL.

  • Why is it so terrible that console players can enjoy cool skins? Or people that lost the skins can have them back?

    Seriously, this community complains about everything

  • Btw, i have a lot of exclusives, and i use them for almost 2 years. I barely wear them now. I also lost all my lunar event cosmetics because of a bug in KYF, and i got them back, I'm super happy that now EVERYONE is going to have those skins. Everyone deserves it. Those skins means nothing. Just pixels.

  • @Peanits said:

    There's two main reasons:

    1. Loss of progress. There is an issue where early event cosmetics would sometimes disappear due to an error. We would have to manually re-apply them to each person one by one, which can take quite a while. Often times we would get a surge of those tickets and it would make a huge backlog of tickets, slowing down support across the board.
    2. There's no way to get them. Lately, we've started to make sure that things are available to everyone. The Hallowed Blight and Withering Blight events are a good example of this; you play, you earn event currency, you trade that currency in for cosmetics. Missed the event but really want a particular outfit? You can grab it from the store. This way you can earn it for free, but you're not totally out of luck if you miss the event.

    The simple version is because we want a clean slate. We want to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to earn them going forward.

    As for legacy, we're not looking to re-release that because we have promised in the past that it wouldn't be returning. We don't want to go back on that promise if at all possible.

    I knew the loss of progress was part of the decision. Honestly it was the right decision, no scamming anymore, consoles get some love, ACM team (or whoever is working to do the tickets) get less floated with that stuff etc. I only see a win-win here, I'm really looking forward to get my lost hound mask back :)

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/835613#Comment_835613

    They aren't "identifying" the lost event cosmetics, though, they're flat out giving it to everyone.

    I assume the difficulty with legacy is if you had it, there would be a flag set on your account, would probably look like

    "Legacy_Head_Meg ✓"

    The issue lies in a save issue that was once present in steam that would clear the flag, and without any way of telling who actually had the flag enabled before the save issue anyone who wanted to would be able to request it, it sucks but it is what it is.

    There is a way to tell if you had them: Achievements. Tho, you couldn't tell what character really had prestiged, but imo everyone who lost his legacy and waited for so long should get them on all characters as compensation. For example, if you had legacy 3 on all survivors and lost progress, you would get legacy on all survivors and killers.

  • @justarandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/835646#Comment_835646

    There is a way to tell if you had them: Achievements. Tho, you couldn't tell what character really had prestiged, but imo everyone who lost his legacy and waited for so long should get them on all characters as compensation. For example, if you had legacy 3 on all survivors and lost progress, you would get legacy on all survivors and killers.

    Proves nothing, achievements have been abusable since the dawn of time, just because someone has the achievement before that time doesn't prove they unlocked it, it also doesn't prove which character they had it on.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/836434#Comment_836434

    Proves nothing, achievements have been abusable since the dawn of time, just because someone has the achievement before that time doesn't prove they unlocked it, it also doesn't prove which character they had it on.

    Your last part is irrelevant since I already said how I would workaround this. Are you even reading whole comments or just the first words?

    How do you know achievements were abused?

  • @justarandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/836443#Comment_836443

    Your last part is irrelevant since I already said how I would workaround this. Are you even reading whole comments or just the first words?

    How do you know achievements were abused?

    I did read the entire comment but what you're suggesting is irrelevant because you don't get to decide how the compensation works if it were to happen, so you don't get to ignore the complications of deciding or working out which part each player had just because YOU think they should get all of it back.

    Secondly, how do you know they weren't? Theres no way to tell, so we should just give everyone the benefit of the doubt because justarandy says so? lol

  • I'm fairly new to this game, i started playing shortly after Ghostface came out, so this does nothing but benefit me. But if i had been playing from the start and got some of these cosmetics i know they would mean a lot more to me than they would if im just given them or even have to buy them.

    It's also something that confuses me about the battlepass, i think i will end up getting it but i dont really love any of the cosmetics and they're coming to the store anyway. Part of the appeal of battlepasses is you get ######### that can only be obtained in that limited window. Selling them after the fact makes it seem like im just buying a bunch of cosmetics i would never buy alone in bulk for a discount.

    So yeah totally team keep ######### exclusive

  • Not as many of them left.

  • @Peanits said:

    There's two main reasons:

    1. Loss of progress. There is an issue where early event cosmetics would sometimes disappear due to an error. We would have to manually re-apply them to each person one by one, which can take quite a while. Often times we would get a surge of those tickets and it would make a huge backlog of tickets, slowing down support across the board.
    2. There's no way to get them. Lately, we've started to make sure that things are available to everyone. The Hallowed Blight and Withering Blight events are a good example of this; you play, you earn event currency, you trade that currency in for cosmetics. Missed the event but really want a particular outfit? You can grab it from the store. This way you can earn it for free, but you're not totally out of luck if you miss the event.

    The simple version is because we want a clean slate. We want to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to earn them going forward.

    As for legacy, we're not looking to re-release that because we have promised in the past that it wouldn't be returning. We don't want to go back on that promise if at all possible.

    If you go through with this you should just sell legacy skins in the store as well, no point trying maintain some illusion of special microtransactions in this game.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/836455#Comment_836455

    I did read the entire comment but what you're suggesting is irrelevant because you don't get to decide how the compensation works if it were to happen, so you don't get to ignore the complications of deciding or working out which part each player had just because YOU think they should get all of it back.

    Secondly, how do you know they weren't? Theres no way to tell, so we should just give everyone the benefit of the doubt because justarandy says so? lol

    Sorry but I can't see any logic in your comment.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/835410#Comment_835410

    I can understand that, although the people who did earn them got to enjoy their exclusivity for over a year. You got to have something special that whole time, and now everyone has a chance to use them as well.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/835422#Comment_835422

    That's a bit of a different story because it's another brand. It's got the Left 4 Dead logo on it so we can't just give them to everyone without permission from Valve first.

    @Peanits will you guys ever be asking about being able to sell those cosmetics?

  • Lol all the more reason to pass them out I guess...

  • I’d love it if they put those event cosmetics in the store for iridescent shards.

    that way if someone wants it, they can put in play time to get it as if it was an event item

  • SpaceCoconut complaining about DBD and/or BHVR again?!

    surprised pikachu.jpg
  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    SpaceCoconut complaining about DBD and/or BHVR again?!

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/980/808ZN3SUIMR5.jpg

    I agree with the guy , it's either give all your exclusive time limited skin event for free to everyone or none at all...

  • @Mr_Digi said:

    Regarding the codes for all exclusives, steam have a option to disable codes... They could just disable all codes so no more codes would work. That would fix the selling issue...People sell the codes because the devs are making them... Just stop making them, cancel all active codes. Thats the onlo thing they needed to do. Now they are just ruining the point of exclusives...

    But its good to know that we dont have to put in hours to get stuff in the future. because after a while it will just be given away for free anyways

    Well timed or event base exclusive can at least have an argument made for them.

    Any exclusives that are region locked or platform locked are terrible

    Especially considering they gone out of their way saying they would never do an equivalent for consoles. Some of these console players won't even asking for the same cosmetics they were just asking for consoles to have their own version of exclusives.


    Which by right I think it's a good thing restricting to something to platforms or an area makes it not fun for everybody if people at least have a chance to earn it then I'm fine with that but none of the code-based exclusives were like that.

  • @deriasb said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837171#Comment_837171

    I agree with the guy , it's either give all your exclusive time limited skin event for free to everyone or none at all...


    1. Legacy were promised to never be released again.
    2. A few that weren't listed are, I believe, unable to be released for free because of the rights tied to them or something. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm sure I read that it was either that or they were actually sold by BHVR for real money.
  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837717#Comment_837717

    1. Legacy were promised to never be released again.
    2. A few that weren't listed are, I believe, unable to be released for free because of the rights tied to them or something. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm sure I read that it was either that or they were actually sold by BHVR for real money.

    Doesn't change the fact that most of them are exclusive event said to not be released again :)

    (the ones sold for real money should 100% be in the store to buy too )

  • @deriasb said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837746#Comment_837746

    Doesn't change the fact that most of them are exclusive event said to not be released again :)

    They never said that though. ?

  • Man what's the point of this you guys are changing everything about this game I love and it's drawing me further away we earned those exclusives and now there just going to be available, people who've been around since the beginning have these as badges of honor to show our support. They are medals to show other's the time we've been here since the beginning, if you want fine I give up horse head. I messed up and pre order wrong but my DbD skins are a vaule to me, I don't think this is a good move for the core players now you want be able to tell who's been around, and besides behavior you know as well as I do they'll wear them for a couple of weeks and change to something else or want more. Let's the legacy's be legacy's and the hounds be hound's it's not our fault you wasn't here for those event's.

    *also it's not as fun to earn skins that are not exclusive it tremendously takes the vaule away from them I'm not even concerned about hallow blight when if they were exclusive I would be

  • @marvelmovie said:

    Man what's the point of this you guys are changing everything about this game I love and it's drawing me further away we earned those exclusives and now there just going to be available, people who've been around since the beginning have these as badges of honor to show our support. They are medals to show other's the time we've been here since the beginning, if you want fine I give up horse head. I messed up and pre order wrong but my DbD skins are a vaule to me, I don't think this is a good move for the core players now you want be able to tell who's been around, and besides behavior you know as well as I do they'll wear them for a couple of weeks and change to something else or want more. Let's the legacy's be legacy's and the hounds be hound's it's not our fault you wasn't here for those event's.

    Yes, we earned them. But it's a QoL change for us. Everyone is at risk to lose his exclusive event cosmetics, it happened to me, it happened to others and it will possibly happen to you aswell. Do you want to take the risk to lose them and never get them back instead of making it available for everyone?

    You would only take the risk if your need for showing off and flexing exclusive skins is higher than your enjoyment wearing them skins because of how they look.

  • @SaintDenisSlasher said:

    I'm fairly new to this game, i started playing shortly after Ghostface came out, so this does nothing but benefit me. But if i had been playing from the start and got some of these cosmetics i know they would mean a lot more to me than they would if im just given them or even have to buy them.

    It's also something that confuses me about the battlepass, i think i will end up getting it but i dont really love any of the cosmetics and they're coming to the store anyway. Part of the appeal of battlepasses is you get ######### that can only be obtained in that limited window. Selling them after the fact makes it seem like im just buying a bunch of cosmetics i would never buy alone in bulk for a discount.

    So yeah totally team keep ######### exclusive

    I think the charms are exclusive not 100% sure though.

  • @justarandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837768#Comment_837768

    Yes, we earned them. But it's a QoL change for yourself. Everyone is at risk to lose his exclusive event cosmetics, it hapoened to me, it happened to others and it will possibly happen to you aswell. Do you want to take the risk to lose them and never get them back instead of making it available for everyone?

    You would only take the risk if your need for showing off and flexing exclusive skins is higher than your enjoyment wearing them skins because of how they look.

    I just stated that it's my badge of honor showing how long I've been playing this game, I don't flex or show it of it's not my fault that people are jealous and I believe it's a lie and people are just trying to manipulate to get what they want if it happens tho by some odd factor oh well

  • @marvelmovie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837781#Comment_837781

    I just stated that it's my badge of honor showing how long I've been playing this game, I don't flex or show it of it's not my fault that people are jealous and I believe it's a lie and people are just trying to manipulate to get what they want if it happens tho by some odd factor oh well

    What? Did you just accuse hundreds of players just lying that they lost their exclusive skins? Jeez.

  • That's literally the meaning of an EXCLUSIVE COSMETIC , the skins that are coming for free were supposed to not come back at all.The only reason they cameback it's because a lot of people lost those particular cosmetics , i don't really think BHVR would be held account for cosmetic scams.

  • @justarandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837795#Comment_837795

    What? Did you just accuse hundreds of players just lying that they lost their exclusive skins? Jeez.

    Yes yes I did, obviously if this was happening, wouldn't their be some type of trace left behind a coding that could show that they had those skin's and why didn't I lose mine. It just sounds like one of those thing's people complained and complained about until the dev's we're like ok we could do this. But anyway the point being people who had a chance to get these exclusives worked their asses off for them it just wasn't opportunity the game's we're so bad it was actually hard work for people you were either being gen camped or face camped trying to get these skin's and don't let me get started on killer games they saboed hooks,body block consistantly or ran I mean made sure they wasn't in an area for an event hook.They should let people appreciate all that torture we went through plus three year's is dedication and I should be able to show that without feeling guilty.

  • @marvelmovie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837802#Comment_837802

    Yes yes I did, obviously if this was happening, wouldn't their be some type of trace left behind a coding that could show that they had those skin's and why didn't I lose mine. It just sounds like one of those thing's people complained and complained about until the dev's we're like ok we could do this. But anyway the point being people who had a chance to get these exclusives worked their asses off for them it just wasn't opportunity the game's we're so bad it was actually hard work for people you were either being gen camped or face camped trying to get these skin's and don't let me get started on killer games they saboed hooks,body block consistantly or ran I mean made sure they wasn't in an area for an event hook.They should let people appreciate all that torture we went through plus three year's is dedication and I should be able to show that without feeling guilty.

    Talking to you seems pointless. Talk to the devs for more details.

  • @justarandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837848#Comment_837848

    Talking to you seems pointless. Talk to the devs for more details.

    Ok *but talking to you was pointless ?

  • @deriasb said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837758#Comment_837758

    That's literally the meaning of an EXCLUSIVE COSMETIC , the skins that are coming for free were supposed to not come back at all.The only reason they cameback it's because a lot of people lost those particular cosmetics , i don't really think BHVR would be held account for cosmetic scams.

    I don't think the devs EVER mentioned those cosmetics are exclusive. That's just what everyone assumed.

    I do think that was the devs intention however they have decided to do it differently, and since they have never promised that they're exclusive, they don't owe us anything.

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837806#Comment_837806

    I don't think the devs EVER mentioned those cosmetics are exclusive. That's just what everyone assumed.

    I do think that was the devs intention however they have decided to do it differently, and since they have never promised that they're exclusive, they don't owe us anything.

    There is literally A Steam page on dbd saying those skins are exlusive and soon to not be exclusive anymore.By the present i invite yourself to click this link and inform yourself before talking without knowleadge :) :

    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305048187

  • @deriasb said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837872#Comment_837872

    There is literally A Steam page on dbd saying those skins are exlusive and soon to not be exclusive anymore.By the present i invite yourself to click this link and inform yourself before talking without knowleadge :) :

    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305048187

    That information isn't coming from the devs so it's irrelevant.

  • Im excited about exclusives being free specifically because its pissing people off. If someone getting a fancy collection of pixels is worth getting angry over then you gotta re-evaluate where you're putting your energy.

  • @Peanits No disrespect intended but in one of your statements you want a clean slate and in the other one you say well we promised legacy wouldnt come back if you want a clean slate then just re release legacy its solves this whole issue you have and its clear you guys want to cater towards the console players which is fine but to sit here and say that well we promised we wouldn't i mean who cares at this point its only fair if you are taking away exclusives legacy has to be in the discussion at this point.


    If you are gonna gut exclusives which btw no game has ever done also imagine if WOW pulled this stunt their game would be dead in seconds but either way you want a clean slate release legacy and people will call it even.

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837912#Comment_837912

    That information isn't coming from the devs so it's irrelevant.

    It's coming from one of the discord mods from the official DBD Discord...

  • @deriasb said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837921#Comment_837921

    It's coming from one of the discord mods from the official DBD Discord...

    That's still not a developer. Moderators are individuals who help keep peace within a respected community, not individuals who work for or get paid by BHVR. The moderator even mentioned that the photos provided aren't his own. When you can find a quote from an official DBD developer, then we'll talk.

  • @Peanits said:

    There's two main reasons:

    1. Loss of progress. There is an issue where early event cosmetics would sometimes disappear due to an error. We would have to manually re-apply them to each person one by one, which can take quite a while. Often times we would get a surge of those tickets and it would make a huge backlog of tickets, slowing down support across the board.
    2. There's no way to get them. Lately, we've started to make sure that things are available to everyone. The Hallowed Blight and Withering Blight events are a good example of this; you play, you earn event currency, you trade that currency in for cosmetics. Missed the event but really want a particular outfit? You can grab it from the store. This way you can earn it for free, but you're not totally out of luck if you miss the event.

    The simple version is because we want a clean slate. We want to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to earn them going forward.

    As for legacy, we're not looking to re-release that because we have promised in the past that it wouldn't be returning. We don't want to go back on that promise if at all possible.

    Lost my progress and couldn't get the cosmetics back


    Thank you for this. I do not mind some people who did not grind these events are getting the cosmetic alongside. Just glad I got mine back! Lol

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/837996#Comment_837996

    That's still not a developer. Moderators are individuals who help keep peace within a respected community, not individuals who work for or get paid by BHVR. The moderator even mentioned that the photos provided aren't his own. When you can find a quote from an official DBD developer, then we'll talk.

    Moderators do work for BHVR , doesn't matter if he gets paid or not , he is a part from DBD Staff , why would it matters if the pictures are from him or not , he is part of dbd staff just by being a moderator from dbd's official discord , are you really that f dense ?

  • Maybe they should release alternate versions of the event skins.

    Edit: Changed my mind about part of the suggestion.

  • @PoisonN said:

    I really don't like the fact that someone feels "special" because he has something that not everyone has. I mean, this is very common in the fortnite community back to the time that not everybody played season 1 and 2. Look at me, I'm a OG!!!! You better respect me!!! Bullshit.

    Come on, it's just cosmetics.

    Agreed. It's literally pixels, why get triggered?

  • Because people spend actual time in getting those skins ? idk about you , but time is important to me.I don't mind everyone getting previous event skins , but they had to either give all the exclusive skins(legacy included) , and do all those exclusive skins(the paid ones) being able to buy it , or don't give any skins at all.If people that didn't have the game when those events were on , got those skins now , then everyone should be able to get skins from previous events since the beta game.

    And answering your question , might as well change all the character to squares like tofu from RE2 and play like that , really cool right ?

  • @Peanits said:

    There's two main reasons:

    1. Loss of progress. There is an issue where early event cosmetics would sometimes disappear due to an error. We would have to manually re-apply them to each person one by one, which can take quite a while. Often times we would get a surge of those tickets and it would make a huge backlog of tickets, slowing down support across the board.
    2. There's no way to get them. Lately, we've started to make sure that things are available to everyone. The Hallowed Blight and Withering Blight events are a good example of this; you play, you earn event currency, you trade that currency in for cosmetics. Missed the event but really want a particular outfit? You can grab it from the store. This way you can earn it for free, but you're not totally out of luck if you miss the event.

    The simple version is because we want a clean slate. We want to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to earn them going forward.

    As for legacy, we're not looking to re-release that because we have promised in the past that it wouldn't be returning. We don't want to go back on that promise if at all possible.

    1. So, basicly you fuccked up (imagine my shock) and now you´re gonna give away all exclusives cosmetics, because thats the easy way to fix it. I mean you´re not really fixing anything here, it´s just your way around to get rid of a pile of support tickets.
    2. Well I missed the legacy event, so I´m totally out of luck and I really want it. By your logic I should now get them, you know to make sure "that things are available for everyone".

    But you won´t give away legacy because "you promised"? Well you´re already breaking promises by giving away other exclusive cosmetics! These event cosmetics were clearly advertised as exclusives items you only can earn during the event. How is this any difference to legacy? Spoiler: It is´nt! Just because you didn´t said "we promise" for every single event item, doesn´t make them less exclusive.

    So, there´s really just one choice to make. Give them all away or keep it as it is.

1 2 ›