Discouraging the - slug the next-to-last survivor to go for the 4k - strategy of Killers

This is becoming the norm for killers. Imo it slows the game down. I know there are valid reasons for this strategy and I am not deriding it as a valid endgame option. I am just looking for any ways to discourage this by killers.

I have thought about:

Hide strategy: Let the slugged survivor bleed out and hide through the EGC (unless you know the location and can access the hatch without dying) to waste the killer's time for 4 - 6 approx minutes. If this strategy were employed by enough survivors, maybe the killers would settle for the 3k and take their chances with the hatch/gate scenario for the last survivor.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    Killers have to slug for the 4k because survivors can't tell when they've lost and they should just go up to the killer to be sacrificed.

    Come to the killer to end the match and you won't get slugged.

    I've had killers treat me in a toxic manner after doing exactly that. A Mikey carried me to the hatch, dropped me a good distance away from it, and motioned for me to crawl to it. I refused. I got to be slugged for a while before he finally gave up trying to troll me, hooked me, and hit me repeatedly as I was sacrificed.

    I mean, I still surrender when it's hopeless; easier than wasting time. Even seen a few other survivors do it when I play killer. But it's soooo rare.

  • The bleed out timer is way too long. Just fix that.

  • @malloymk said:

    The bleed out timer is way too long. Just fix that.

    This is a good idea too.

  • there are perks to counter slugging, remember that!

    otherwise, slugging is a perfectly viable strategy (that isn't always flawless, mind you) and thus, should not be something that needs to be discouraged.

  • Slug meta is a thing cause people are just dumb.

    they get all downed trying to get that unhook or rescue when the killer is obviously patrolling near the survivor downed.

  • @Elegant said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/783532#Comment_783532

    They can literally just disconnect the moment they get slugged if they wanted to. It's no more or less abusable than the current system. It just allows the survivor to keep the points/rank they earned instead of disconnecting or wasting several minutes

    So your solution is adding to the issue?

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/784491#Comment_784491

    ... this is why, after a certain amount of time, survivors should have a "concede" option that lets them leave behind a husk, allowing them to collect their points and move on. For most players, it's not that they're salty the killer's winning, it's that they don't like being stuck completely unable to play the game and not even earning any points for their wasted time.

    (This isn't really directed at you. Your comment just illustrates that there needs to be an in-game mechanic for this kind of thing, because it's hurting survivors' experiences.)

    Or, I've actually had it before that I needed to leave. I tried to get the killer to hook me, but they slugged me for the 4k, instead. Because I had to leave for real life stuff, I was forced to leave the match, losing all my BP and possibly hurting the killer's game since it would cause the hatch to immediately open. That shouldn't be the case.

    This is why I like reading your responses. Level headed, Pragmatic, well thought out. Always good to get your feedback.

    @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/784553#Comment_784553

    I've had killers treat me in a toxic manner after doing exactly that. A Mikey carried me to the hatch, dropped me a good distance away from it, and motioned for me to crawl to it. I refused. I got to be slugged for a while before he finally gave up trying to troll me, hooked me, and hit me repeatedly as I was sacrificed.

    I mean, I still surrender when it's hopeless; easier than wasting time. Even seen a few other survivors do it when I play killer. But it's soooo rare.

    Also this Killer was a douche. Sorry that there are Killers out there that give the rest of us bad names.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/784538#Comment_784538

    This is why I like reading your responses. Level headed, Pragmatic, well thought out. Always good to get your feedback.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/784574#Comment_784574

    Also this Killer was a douche. Sorry that there are Killers out there that give the rest of us bad names.

    Thanks. :)

    And yeah, that killer was... Even when survivors play in a way I consider kinda douchey, I still don't treat them like that. Closest I come is sometimes maliciously slugging someone who breaks hooks in my face. (Mostly, I don't like giving troublesome survivors the satisfaction of a reaction from me.) But, that killer had barely seen me all match 'cause he was camping the basement; why he so wanted to close the hatch in my face (when I obviously didn't care about escaping) I just don't get. I don't understand some players.

  • @ChainsawCharlie said:

    I'm surprised pretty much nobody has mentioned the obvious here. This wouldn't be a problem at all if survivors weren't gifted the hatch just for being the last one alive. It's ridiculous that 4 or 5 gens will be remaining and the survivor still gets a hatch to spawn and open up for free.

    What this does is, no matter what, when there's about 2 survivors left, they just go into super immersive mode and hide at all cost, jumping from locker to locker, and doing absolutely nothing, and whoever gets caught first dies, and the last one escapes through the hatch.

    That's the real issue here. Go back to the system that required at least 2 gens to be completed.

    ALSO, stop hiding from the killer if you're slugged. If you don't want to bleed out on the floor, maybe don't hide in a corner of the map. You're your own worst enemy at that point. If you don't mind bleeding out, then go ahead and hide but you can't have it both ways.

    I only started playing after the egc was a thing.

    But yeah, lets go back to the last survivor hiding in a corner somewhere and the killer being unable to find him and/or end the same. Wasting 20 min sounds fun

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/785001#Comment_785001

    Thanks. :)

    And yeah, that killer was... Even when survivors play in a way I consider kinda douchey, I still don't treat them like that. Closest I come is sometimes maliciously slugging someone who breaks hooks in my face. (Mostly, I don't like giving troublesome survivors the satisfaction of a reaction from me.) But, that killer had barely seen me all match 'cause he was camping the basement; why he so wanted to close the hatch in my face (when I obviously didn't care about escaping) I just don't get. I don't understand some players.

    I don't either. I have gotten alot of abuse cause of my Killer choice, for example, but I would still not do such things to people. Some people are just warped and messed up. Sadly, they tend to also be the loudest.

    I also hate it when people sabo hooks in my face, and that tends to get the person slugged.... unless I felt like using my Mad Grit build that day.

  • I usually crawl to a locker and shake my character around like the other survivor is hiding in it, to rat them out. Killer checks locker...…… <.< ?

    I'll end up getting hooked and other survivor escapes or either gets caught by bbq.

    Ends the match a bit faster. Lol

    Still a good laugh for me.

  • My solution is to give people who are slugged an out that wouldn't hurt the killer.

  • Unbreakable >ds. Ds is mostly useless in red ranks nowadays.

  • How about instead of creating a strategy to counter this problem, BHVR just TAKES OUT THE PROBLEM.

    The only reason Killers 4k is for

    1---The Objective is to Kill

    2---The Emblem system tells Killers they lost because the 4th escaped

    3---The Hatch gives the 4th Survivor a FREE ESCAPE without giving the Killer a final chance to find and hunt them down, just BLIP...gone. All because they were hiding in a random corner because the odds were stacked against them and that's 100% OK, what else are they supposed to do?

    If BHVR switches the Hatch for a new End Game scenario for a 1 on 1 then slugging for the 4th has no reason to exist.

    If BHVR can tweak the Emblem system to not actually care about killing all 4, like it does right now, then killing all 4 won't matter. If the Emblem and Ranking system just focuses on killing 3 instead of 4 then they won't get punished when 1 Survivor escapes as they are not factored into the points system.

    BHVR gives Killers a reason to slug for the 4th and only they can solve this issue

  • @HatCreature said:

    How about instead of creating a strategy to counter this problem, BHVR just TAKES OUT THE PROBLEM.

    The only reason Killers 4k is for

    1---The Objective is to Kill

    2---The Emblem system tells Killers they lost because the 4th escaped

    3---The Hatch gives the 4th Survivor a FREE ESCAPE without giving the Killer a final chance to find and hunt them down, just BLIP...gone. All because they were hiding in a random corner because the odds were stacked against them and that's 100% OK, what else are they supposed to do?

    If BHVR switches the Hatch for a new End Game scenario for a 1 on 1 then slugging for the 4th has no reason to exist.

    If BHVR can tweak the Emblem system to not actually care about killing all 4, like it does right now, then killing all 4 won't matter. If the Emblem and Ranking system just focuses on killing 3 instead of 4 then they won't get punished when 1 Survivor escapes as they are not factored into the points system.

    BHVR gives Killers a reason to slug for the 4th and only they can solve this issue

    Honestly this is the best solution. Several high level streamers, both survivor and killer have already mentioned this and have come up with interesting solutions.

    Hatch standoff needs to end in order to end slugging. One streamer (I can't recall who) mentioned when it comes down to last survivor and killer, instead of hatch, a timer appears on screen for a minute where the survivor needs to live. Once the minute is up the exit gates automatically open. But every few seconds the killer sees your aura so you are unable to hide for the entire minute. You would need to actually play and evade the killer.

  • @MeatBycicle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/794833#Comment_794833

    Honestly this is the best solution. Several high level streamers, both survivor and killer have already mentioned this and have come up with interesting solutions.

    Hatch standoff needs to end in order to end slugging. One streamer (I can't recall who) mentioned when it comes down to last survivor and killer, instead of hatch, a timer appears on screen for a minute where the survivor needs to live. Once the minute is up the exit gates automatically open. But every few seconds the killer sees your aura so you are unable to hide for the entire minute. You would need to actually play and evade the killer.

    I think the one you're talking about is Tru3Ta1ent, he's been having a lot of games where people keep escaping with Keys.

  • @HatCreature said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/794996#Comment_794996

    I think the one you're talking about is Tru3Ta1ent, he's been having a lot of games where people keep escaping with Keys.

    Yeah i think it was True, but that sounded like an excellent idea because then it turns into an actual 1v1 of skill and not just hide till hatch.

  • @MeatBycicle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/795035#Comment_795035

    Yeah i think it was True, but that sounded like an excellent idea because then it turns into an actual 1v1 of skill and not just hide till hatch.

    I like it to because it doesn't actually add anything new into the game, the Killer still chases and the Survivor still runs away and loops, it all comes down to who is better at what they do. It is also just like the movies where the last Survivor has one last chase before they make their daring escape so it feels amazing when you get out.

  • Killers shouldn't consider hatch escapes a loss.

    The game just needs to promote that by awarding killers points and rank points appropriately.

1 2 ›