What is your welcoming to a new player?
Hi guys im generally curious about something, say you were talking with someone who was extremely new to the fog, and they generally had no idea how to play the game and were looking for advice and tips? what do you got to say?
this thread is here to hopefully help newer players ease into dbd
Comments
"Run while you still can"
When I found out my sister wanted to start playing DBD, I advised her not to do it.
This game is just terrible for new players. If I lost my account, there is no way I would do it again.
My sisters 7 year old daughter wanted to try the game according to my sister. I nearly laughed until i once came over to find her playing a match of Ghostface, and winning. and even adults sometimes struggle to play the game. and it really is terrible, i play the game because ive spent money on it and i at least want a single P100 before i maybe quit. This game makes me downright miserable, but yet i still play it
Don’t hide too much. Even though the game presents itself as a deadly game of hide and seek, killers can see your aura after every action. Instead of constantly hiding, learn how to loop effectively and use tiles to survive.
I don't think gameplay loop is bad in general in this game, sure you have to learn a lot, but that's not unique to DBD.
My main issue while I would refuse to start again is simply the amount of money and time you need to put into DBD just so can play what you want.
Fact that I need to pay DLC and also put BP into someone I don't ever want to play just to gain his perks seem ridiculous to me.
I think tier 1 perks should unlock on other characters as soon you buy the character, so I can technically unlock the perks by putting BP only to characters I want to play. (T2, T3 would be under prestige as it is)
Overall BP gain is just bad, rewards for quests are joke. The amount you need for new players is getting bigger and bigger.
If the game can keep players only be creating endless grind, it's not a good game.
And your completely right, Like i hate playing Clown, but i bought him and wasted BP for his perks. i feel that this idea could be extremely healthy for the game
Well the amounth of info you need in 10 years old game is huge like look at games like rainbow six there is ton of stuf through years which puts new players automaticaly in bad spotand its not only DBD thing.
Old games with huge pile of stuff and lack of ways to obtain some of that stuff other than money (lot of money) which forsnt hrlp either.
I told my new player friend to play Meg use sprint burst and prerun as soon as he hears the terror radius and he's already better than 50% of the survivor players in our lobbies
For killer he plays knight and is relatively decent since I told him he can break pallets and generators with the guards
Sure, like I play both R6S and Dota, which are both really bad with how much information you need to know.
But Dota basically has 0 grind and R6S has quite low grind, you unlock characters quite quickly even without spending money and unlocking gives you everything you need to play.
DBD is exact opposite, where in order to "progress" in the game, you have to put huge amount of money and time. DBD has kinda unique grind, which is mandatory and can't be skipped.
Oh you want a single prestige? play 10 matches
Yes the whole fact that new player cant get in resources (unless lot of money isnt used) of time, experience its like most of old games shere stuff piles each year so new players have it harder snd harder.
Its 10 years old almost so no wonder its hard to get into slrady moving train.
Good for him!
You shouldn't forget new players have exactly 0 cakes. so it's not 10 matches at all.
You might get close to it as killer with cakes, but you won't get anywhere near close as survivor.
I'd say that if they're enjoying the game and want to keep playing then they should probably start watching DbD content creators. The actual in-game tutorials suck and you practically need to engage with outside material to even learn the basics.
id say just enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think. learning comes naturally
First: Learn to play for fun. Find a build/play style you find fun and get good with that instead of following trends or meta. Do what you enjoy instead of focusing to win at all costs. Obviously try to win, just not at everything else. On a side note I also hope that you don't just enjoy winning at all costs as that defeats the purpose.
Second: Ignore the haters. More awful toxic people in dbd than your average online game. Tuning it out makes things so much better.
Third: As survivor try not to 3 gen. Look around, try to do a gen if you see multiple nearby.
Fourth: As killer pick your gens. 2-3 gens popping isn't the end of the world especially if those were at the edges of the map. Game is over when either everyone is out or dead.
Fifth: As killer pick your fights. If you can't easily catch one person, get some pallets out of them and go find another.
My initial advice to someone just getting into DbD? Reconsider this decision for your own good.
But really, it would be to tell them to avoid taking the game seriously. If you don't, you're going to be miserable; either personally or toward others, probably both. Not giving a crap is the key enjoying DbD.
As I play on PS5 I can't offer advice post game but if they're obviously new I let them escape and hopefully understand when I'm hitting a pallet I want them to drop it on me for extra points.
Also, surprising how many new survivors run away after taking them to hatch instead of jumping in .
Maybe we need a big sign saying exit and an arrow pointing to the hatch. Like something out of the Roadrunner cartoons.
"Welcome! If you need any pointers I can answer most things if need be."
When I encounter a New Killer or Survivor I give them a Pro Tip that helped me through the game.
When a new player is being bullied or treated poorly I bring them under my wing to help fight off the bullies. I like making the game as welcoming at possible.
We need more players and bullies and toxic people drive them away. So i try to help the best I can even if it shows a little bit of difference.
I would say if you want to try killer, don't worry about winning for a while, just get used to how the killer plays and you will eventually start to catch people.
If you prefer to play as the survivor, dont worry about dieing. It happens most of the time for everyone, its more of a team goal to "try" to escape and if the killer wants to win hard enough there isnt much you can do besides do your part.
Play both sides evenly. It's the only way to understand the game loop.
There's going to be people that will try police how you play the game. Ignore them.
Otherwise private your account, mute all, and have fun.
take that back immediately.
there is not a single finger on your hands you deserve with an attitude like that
Bold of you to assume i even get fingers with clown
If it's a friend of mine joining the game, I'll usually take them into a custom, let them get a feel for however their chosen first role plays and play against them with some bots for them to practise on/with. If I'm survivor, I'll let them chase me to places where they could learn some basics. If I'm killer, I take it easy on them while they get a handle on how to interact with the map and its elements, occasionally testing them with a more intentional chase.
If it's an obvious baby in the wild, it's different.
If it's a baby killer, I just play the game normally. I feel there's very little I can do to be 'nice' to a baby killer. If i let them get free hits I could cause an undeserved snowball, hurting my teammates, and if I try to interact with them in a silly way, it can just as easily come across as mockery. So, I just play the game and wish them well in the post-game chat.
If I find a baby survivor, I usually treat them quite similar to others until their first hook, then spread hooks to their more competent teammates. Sometimes I'll injure them then drop chase to give them a scare, or get the second hook mid-late game to put the fear of God into them. After that, if I have the breathing room, I'll act sillier. I'll let them think they juked me with stealth. I'll hang around a room I know they're hiding in and give them the Alien Isolation experience (except I don't play Xeno), and otherwise try to foster a memorable game for them where they don't feel totally dumpstered the whole time. Maybe if they get a stun on me in chase I'll give them a few nods. I'm also more likely to give them hatch if they did their best and didn't give up.
This reminds of the time i played against a Jake who i had no idea what he was doing, he was a fellow switch player with 5 hours. I chased him off the start of the match but didnt hit him, i wanted him to get a feel for chase, and another match i helped a new trapper with trap placement, i told him to follow me where one of his traps were directly under a pallet, i showed that i could drop a pallet and slide over it with no problem, essientally wasting a trap, he nodded and fixed his trap placements
I told a new player the other day to close chat. Another player was insulting them.
Play both sides! And wait a long time before you make the mistake of complaining about a killer being too weak or OP! When Clown was slowed down throwing bottles and was a very bad killer I was in the "He's underrated" camp, because I was new. So relax, play the game and your eyes will open up to what is what.
Tbh DBD insults are heavily censored and are mostly on kinder garden lecel compare to other games where insults are on totaly different level.
Still nice tip.
Your replies kinda make me sad, honestly.
We all love this game and play it, but we still are not able to recommend our game to new players/friends etc.
What I hope we get soon:
We were not ready for Five night's at Freddy players - hopefully this won't be the case in the near futute releases.