Is Casual Survivor Impossible now?

Hey so I'm just a filthy casual player with only 600-ish hours in the game but I wanted to post my two cents and ask other people. I mostly play survivor and this year has been really rough for solos.

I'm not great,but I used to be able to at least escape half of my games on a good day,but nowadays I barely see my team make it to the endgame. After playing on the new patch yesterday literally every match but one ended at 5-4 generators. This feels rough...

Is this a universal experience or am i just doing something wrong/getting really unlucky? My build is We'll Make It,Lithe,Lightweight,Bond + a medkit or a toolbox for reference.

Comments

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    BHVR is balancing game around SWF now but they are not getting Solos into SWF level. So yeah solo and casual players will have pain in this game now. This game is not for them anymore. BHVR does not care about them.

    My suggestion is just play killer. At least you won't be stomped every match. Most of your matches you will chill and have fun.

    Honestly,I'm starting to think about it. Any Killer suggestions out of original chapters? I dont have a lot of money to throw around for licensed ones.

  • @Saiph said:

    I'd say this is an universal experience. A while back I sampled random games from Twitch streamers (solo queue) and their average escape rate was ~30%.

    Keep in mind these are 10k hour players, presumably high MMR survivors, so don't expect the situation to be better as a casual player... Some of my Steam friends are streamers so I sometimes watch their gameplay and they have even less than 30%, with regular loss streaks of 5-10 games. Out of 10 games they have 2-3 that feel like a normal game, the rest are straight up stomps, or survivor DCing at 5 gens, or the killer is farming.

    Some people on this forum claim their solo queue games are fine, I have no idea how this is possible (probably they play 1 game per month). Literally try it yourself, go click on random survivor Twitch channels and you'll struggle to find one that has even a 50% winrate. Especially look at small channels of casual players with 100-1000 hours. It's almost comical how they keep losing over and over, and even after a 10 loss streak the game still gives them a sweaty Nurse.

    This is a problem people made for themselves when they wanted to die on the hill of “SWF with comms” being fair. Reminder, from the beginning this was never intended. Survivors were never intended to have as much info on what others are doing in the trial because if you bring that level of coordination into the mix, you have to balance for it, otherwise killer is just unplayable.


    There’s not really anything that can be done about it at this point, other than to make the game bad for killers for no reason.

  • @FatallyIconic said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3405253#Comment_3405253

    No one is claiming that medkits weren't overpowered, particularly in a coordinated team. However, solo queue games are rarely coordinated. Medkits and consistent self-healing made solo queue less unbearable since you didn't have to depend on your teammates. It's understandable why medkits were heavily nerfed. Unfortunately, solo survivors weren't given anything in return, such as a baseline empathy or empathic connection.

    Solo queue players are impacted since they must now devote half of their build to an aura perk and a healing perk to counter these new healing changes. In contrast, SWF players receive all of this for free without having to sacrifice any of their meta perk slots (anti-tunneling perks, exhaustion perks, etc.).

    I reckon BHVR should simply acknowledge that they are balancing the game around killers and SWF. They haven't explicitly stated so, but they haven't refuted it either.

    Baseline empathy is a horrible idea for multiple reasons. You don’t give that type of aura information for free, because it’s basically wall hacks for the whole team when someone is injured, how would that in any way be fair to killer? You already know when a killer starts and drops chase with a survivor, and this buffs SWF tremendously believe it or not, especially ones that aren’t full 4 men.


    Solo que is just going to be what it is, I don’t know why people think a team of 4 should all individually have an average of + 50% escapes across any random paring of players. Of course some days you will have a sub 30% escape and some you will probably have a 70%, it’s kind of not possible to ensure every solo player escapes 50% of their games every day.

    If you hate the fact this game is balanced around SWF, blame everyone who were so adamant that it was necessary to this games success and survival, and that anyone who said anything against it got asked “Oh what, you don’t have any friends, killer main?”

  • @averagemikaelamain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3404575#Comment_3404575

    Honestly,I'm starting to think about it. Any Killer suggestions out of original chapters? I dont have a lot of money to throw around for licensed ones.

    If you are looking high skill killers, Blight is best option. Very strong killer. Nurse is similar.

    If you are looking for easier killers with strong powers; Plague and Spirit are good killers.

  • The short answer is yes.


    Call me a trash, entitled survivor main or whatever, but at the end of the day the killer strategies/play styles that were terrible against SWFs and only effective against bad solo queue team for the better part of six years are now decent against SWFs and completely destroy solo queue. It's been this way for nearly a year and BHVR has not acknowledged this problem in any fashion. In fact, they've consistently exacerbated it since then.

  • Well I'm officially a Blight main now and wow the game is much simpler like this,lmao! I'm going to just keep playing Killer,this is way more fun.

  • @Science_Guy said:

    The short answer is yes.

    Call me a trash, entitled survivor main or whatever, but at the end of the day the killer strategies/play styles that were terrible against SWFs and only effective against bad solo queue team for the better part of six years are now decent against SWFs and completely destroy solo queue. It's been this way for nearly a year and BHVR has not acknowledged this problem in any fashion. In fact, they've consistently exacerbated it since then.

    How do you think they get the kill rates to a level they're happy with? They can't/won't manipulate swfs too much, but solo is easy enough. I don't think BHVR see it as a problem. I think it's actually by design.

  • stop it guys! stop beleaving that bhvr realy want do somethiking for solo q

    BHVR midset: "play Killer, swf or die in the solo q!" that's what bhvr says with the actions they make, because it is well known that actions say more than thousand words

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3408680#Comment_3408680

    You went from killer is too stressful and you have no interested in playing killer. To "Wow, I'm a killer main now!" in two days. What changed your mind?

    Playing Killer more. I played some Wraith around Wesker's release and it was very stressfull. I watched some guides and purchased,been playing some blight - he's very fun and even though I mess up a lot,my addons can carry me through that.

    Feels very refreshing to not be chained to teammates,although it's a big adjustment,I'm at least winning my games decently often now,which is also nice. Hitting the Iri addon down is very satisfying.

    Will report back if my view changes or something,probably

  • @I_CAME said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3404489#Comment_3404489

    They're bad at playing killer and it seems hard to them. I win 80% of my killer games and 30-40% as survivor (solo). I will never understand how anyone thinks killer is harder than survivor. Playing solo survivor is the hardest thing anyone will ever do in this game and it's not even close. Every game is people rage quitting either by DCing/hook suiciding or a killer who thinks he's playing a comp match against randoms who have no idea what they're doing.

    my record similar in both 75 to 80 win rate with killer. 35 to 45 win rate with survivor. I'm not a good killer at all! I constantly get spin. Way more skill in survivor yet i can't win nearly as much.

  • @solarjin1 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3404624#Comment_3404624

    my record similar in both 75 to 80 win rate with killer. 35 to 45 win rate with survivor. I'm not a good killer at all! I constantly get spin. Way more skill in survivor yet i can't win nearly as much.

    This is kind of how I feel too. I'm still very much terrible at Killer and am substantially more proficient at survivor,yet I lose as survivor consistently when Killer I've been doing pretty well... I even managed a 3K on badham.

  • @averagemikaelamain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3410066#Comment_3410066

    This is kind of how I feel too. I'm still very much terrible at Killer and am substantially more proficient at survivor,yet I lose as survivor consistently when Killer I've been doing pretty well... I even managed a 3K on badham.

    Yeah to see any type of success u gotta play swf. At some point u wanna actually go on a win streak to validate your skills. Solo q make that impossible.

  • Update: Lost 3 games, Swamp,Borgo & Borgo. The rest 9,i think? have been 3Ks or 4Ks.

    How the ######### am I able to do this.

  • @Beatricks said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3404799#Comment_3404799

    Information is great and in the right hands can easily win a game, but having teammates that don't realize the Killer is pretending to leave the hook so somebody rescues and then the first survivor is tunneled out from the match in under two minutes will lead to a loss even if you gave all SoloQ players every single information perk currently in the game. Something has to be done about matchmaking, there's no other way to fix what's going on right now.

    Basekit Kindred + Kinship might be a good start.

  • @averagemikaelamain said:

    Hey so I'm just a filthy casual player with only 600-ish hours in the game but I wanted to post my two cents and ask other people. I mostly play survivor and this year has been really rough for solos.

    I'm not great,but I used to be able to at least escape half of my games on a good day,but nowadays I barely see my team make it to the endgame. After playing on the new patch yesterday literally every match but one ended at 5-4 generators. This feels rough...

    Is this a universal experience or am i just doing something wrong/getting really unlucky? My build is We'll Make It,Lithe,Lightweight,Bond + a medkit or a toolbox for reference.

    The best advice I can give someone who plays solo survivor is to stop thinking of "escape" as the only reason to play. You are probably not going to escape, and plenty of times you will be able to point to one of your teammates as the problem. I have about 3000 hours total but only 400 or so as survivor. Here are the things I like to do for survivor:


    1) My "Prepared for Anything" build: I take plunderer's instinct and 3 perks that each help me with an item. Prove thyself for toolboxes, empathy or we'll make it for medkits, residual manifest for beamers. This is fun because the kind of game I play depends on the item I get!

    2) Combat Medic - Empathy, we'll make it, built to last, CoH. Bring medkit. If someone gets injured or hooked, I'm on the case. Very fun 100% altruistic playstyle. Sometimes I put deliverance in there but I hate when people rescue before me.

    3) Engineer - Built to last, stake-hout, hyperfocus, and either repressed alliance or

    4) Gen Trickster - Repressed Alliance, Blast Mine, Wiretap, sprint burst - When the killer gets near, I booby trap the generator and sprint away. He can't even kick it because of repressed alliance, and if he waits around, he gets a nasty shock and we ALL see his aura.

    5) Info build - Distortion, Kindred, Lithe/Sprint burst, Fogwise/Alert - Killer doesn't see me, but I often see him and I always know if I should spend time going for a save

    6) Disappearing Act - Inner healing, lucky break, overcome, quick and quiet. I run the killer until I take a slap, then I make a beeline for a corner I can whip around and pop into a locker. No scratch marks, no sound, and I'm healed a few seconds later! Then off to find another totem to do it all over again. This one is tons of fun.


    I have tons of different builds, usually arranged by character (I'm not really into lore or anything, but I kind of give them personalities or "classes" so I can keep them straight in my head). In fact, my favorite thing to do as a survivor are interesting tome challenges. Just trying to escape is boring, and often depends on things I can't really control. But seeing how many times I can pallet stun or blind someone, or how many people I can surprise by healing them with a purple medkit, that's more interesting to me. I play survivor to chill and relax. I play killer when I feel sweaty. There's tons of fun to be had if you don't get caught up in "escape or I hate this game" mentality.

  • Yes, the casual player experience has been absolutely destroyed. Do yourself a favour and download civilization and play that since that's their recommendation

  • @NotAnotherDoctor said:

    Yes, the casual player experience has been absolutely destroyed. Do yourself a favour and download civilization and play that since that's their recommendation

    Playing Civ 5 seems to be the perfect way to enjoy a game of solo queue in modern dbd that's very true

  • @birdnippies said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/372874/is-casual-survivor-impossible-now

    The best advice I can give someone who plays solo survivor is to stop thinking of "escape" as the only reason to play. You are probably not going to escape, and plenty of times you will be able to point to one of your teammates as the problem. I have about 3000 hours total but only 400 or so as survivor. Here are the things I like to do for survivor:

    1) My "Prepared for Anything" build: I take plunderer's instinct and 3 perks that each help me with an item. Prove thyself for toolboxes, empathy or we'll make it for medkits, residual manifest for beamers. This is fun because the kind of game I play depends on the item I get!

    2) Combat Medic - Empathy, we'll make it, built to last, CoH. Bring medkit. If someone gets injured or hooked, I'm on the case. Very fun 100% altruistic playstyle. Sometimes I put deliverance in there but I hate when people rescue before me.

    3) Engineer - Built to last, stake-hout, hyperfocus, and either repressed alliance or

    4) Gen Trickster - Repressed Alliance, Blast Mine, Wiretap, sprint burst - When the killer gets near, I booby trap the generator and sprint away. He can't even kick it because of repressed alliance, and if he waits around, he gets a nasty shock and we ALL see his aura.

    5) Info build - Distortion, Kindred, Lithe/Sprint burst, Fogwise/Alert - Killer doesn't see me, but I often see him and I always know if I should spend time going for a save

    6) Disappearing Act - Inner healing, lucky break, overcome, quick and quiet. I run the killer until I take a slap, then I make a beeline for a corner I can whip around and pop into a locker. No scratch marks, no sound, and I'm healed a few seconds later! Then off to find another totem to do it all over again. This one is tons of fun.

    I have tons of different builds, usually arranged by character (I'm not really into lore or anything, but I kind of give them personalities or "classes" so I can keep them straight in my head). In fact, my favorite thing to do as a survivor are interesting tome challenges. Just trying to escape is boring, and often depends on things I can't really control. But seeing how many times I can pallet stun or blind someone, or how many people I can surprise by healing them with a purple medkit, that's more interesting to me. I play survivor to chill and relax. I play killer when I feel sweaty. There's tons of fun to be had if you don't get caught up in "escape or I hate this game" mentality.

    Can I borrow you for some games? lol

  • @averagemikaelamain said:

    Update: Lost 3 games, Swamp,Borgo & Borgo. The rest 9,i think? have been 3Ks or 4Ks.

    How the ######### am I able to do this.

    You’re able to do it because Blight is pretty strong and most survivors are average or below players. Try it with… like, Trickster or Hillbilly. You might not have the same degree of luck.

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3411959#Comment_3411959

    You’re able to do it because Blight is pretty strong and most survivors are average or below players. Try it with… like, Trickster or Hillbilly. You might not have the same degree of luck.

    I'm way below average as Blight though. If anyone can pick him up and do this,this is bad. Blight's one of the most popular killer in the game.

  • @MikeyBoi said:

    Having 600hrs isint enough time to pin point on what’s really making you have a rough solo queue experience. I can tell you right now that the majority of survivors (85%)especially in high MMR against a smart killer usually don’t do so well because they don’t know how to run jungle gyms, string tiles together properly or run perks that help them waste the killers time effectively in a timely manor. It’s all about split pressure on gens and knowing what you have to work with when the killer starts patrolling and unfortunately most survivors don’t know how to do gens nor loop effectively against a good killer, LIKE NOTHING GETS DONE BUT TIME WASTED IN THE KILLERS FAVOR… simply.

    Christ 24hrs is enough to learn this game, you aren’t a professional dude, stop trying to make the opinions of people who don’t grind 6 hours 7 days a week irrelevant.

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    BHVR is balancing game around SWF now but they are not getting Solos into SWF level. So yeah solo and casual players will have pain in this game now. This game is not for them anymore. BHVR does not care about them.

    My suggestion is just play killer. At least you won't be stomped every match. Most of your matches you will chill and have fun.

    They should add 2 killer mode that would be fun. Playing killer alone is not fun agains't team of 4 it's too much stress.

  • Impossible? I don't think so, no.

    Much more difficult? I believe that would be an accurate assessment.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3404575#Comment_3404575

    They should add 2 killer mode that would be fun. Playing killer alone is not fun agains't team of 4 it's too much stress.

    I'm down with killers chosing if they play against swf as long as survivors get to pick what killers they face. Cause I'm black balling a few.

  • @LuthirFontaine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3413112#Comment_3413112

    I'm down with killers chosing if they play against swf as long as survivors get to pick what killers they face. Cause I'm black balling a few.

    That's an interesting point. Killers have so much info given to them on Survivors while have nothing.. I've heard people getting tunneled specifically because they have the lowest amount of hours shown on their profile too..

  • @Pulsar said:

    Impossible? I don't think so, no.

    Much more difficult? I believe that would be an accurate assessment.

    Impossible is a minor hyperbole,yeah. My main gripe is that it's just impossible feeling. Every match feels like smashing my head against a brick wall. It's miserable. A year ago I felt like I had a chance at least.

  • @averagemikaelamain said:

    Hey so I'm just a filthy casual player with only 600-ish hours in the game but I wanted to post my two cents and ask other people. I mostly play survivor and this year has been really rough for solos.

    I'm not great,but I used to be able to at least escape half of my games on a good day,but nowadays I barely see my team make it to the endgame. After playing on the new patch yesterday literally every match but one ended at 5-4 generators. This feels rough...

    Is this a universal experience or am i just doing something wrong/getting really unlucky? My build is We'll Make It,Lithe,Lightweight,Bond + a medkit or a toolbox for reference.

    Sorry we only deal in brics currencies so we reject you cents.

  • @Cardgrey said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/372874/is-casual-survivor-impossible-now

    Sorry we only deal in brics currencies so we reject you cents.

    I'm mailing you golden pipebombs with my opinion inside. /s

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3411959#Comment_3411959

    You’re able to do it because Blight is pretty strong and most survivors are average or below players. Try it with… like, Trickster or Hillbilly. You might not have the same degree of luck.

    If they're just starting off as Killer, it will be exactly the same. I played survivor near exclusively for a long time and when I switched to playing Killer (Trapper) sometimes, well the experience is miles different at first. As a solo Q, starting survivor player, games were largely: lose, lose s'more, lose REAL bad, and why did I buy this game again? level of lose. Then you start to develop some game sense, learn a couple of tiles that you can loop with some success and while (at least IME) your escape rate doesn't change that much, you can still feel like you're playing decently.

    Compare that to when I started first started playing Trapper and it was completely the opposite. I could roll into a match and not bother with traps at all and walk out with 4K before the last gen got done. More often than not it was before multiple gens got done. I was winning so easily that I started letting the last survivor, sometimes 2, escape because I felt bad. Getting a 0K or 1K was incredibly rare.

    Heck I had a Legion daily at one point - a Killer that I've never played - and walked into a match with 1 yellow perk and no addons and still managed a 4K.

    Of course, the problem there is obvious. I had little idea how to use Trapper's traps effectively and eventually ran into survs who steamrolled right over me. I couldn't get a 1K to save my life for a bit. The games were so drastically different that I almost couldn't believe it. Which is what I suspect will happen in this case, though it might take a bit longer because Blight is a stronger Killer.

  • Yeah, solo and low level survivors are in need of a buff. My opinion? Remove unhook grabs as this only punishes solos that can't communicate for a double save and newer players, and add a ping system for perks. So if you're on hook but have deli and killer is camping, you can ping your Deli perk, and it shows up on the HUD.

    Or if you have Reassurance, you can ping it to show to everyone "I'm gonna run and reassurance that guy, stay on gens"

    I'd also like it if we got some survival BP for every generator that the team completes, and less for the actual escape. Why is it all tied to the escape? That just feels needlessly punishing, especially considering that killer already gets more BP on average.

1 2 ›