What do you think about tunneling ?

i just played against a ttv streamer playing nurse, it was an open map with shack and basemet on the center, i dont kniw the name but a small map, he started chasing a kate, got 1 hook on her, and wheneve lwe saved her he proceeded to only focus her, even with 5 gens up, he killed her and started to tunnel me, hit me as soon as i was saved from hook, and didnt down me because i had basekit BT..

what do you all think about tunneling ? have you been tunneled before ?

Comments

  • @Draxlore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3220844#Comment_3220844

    If i only have to hit the unhooked survivor right off the hook once, then your team didn't bring the right perks. That's the survivors decision. You seem to be attempting to blame the killer for bad decisions on the survivors part.

    It takes skill to know when tunneling is better than not tunneling. Just like when camping is better than not camping. They all have their uses. If a killer uses them wrong, survivors can make a decision that punishes the killers misstep.

    When i was a kid, I would carry that frustration over. Now i play so I can have fun...win or lose I say "GG" and move on to the next game as if its my first of the day. If a player cant handle their frustration, there are options....therapy, choosing other sources of fun that don't cause them mental suffering. ect..

    You keep saying its the killers "fault" but that is inaccurate. That is the killers decision. Fault is being responsible for an accident or misfortune, an error, mistake ect.. If the killer wins and tunneling worked, it wasn't a fault. Killers don't need to care about survivors feelings or gameplay. We need to kill all 4 survivors at the end of the game. You don't have a choice in the matter as a survivor. You have options for yourself but if you choose wrong, you'll be back here on the forum complaining more.

    I disagree with tunneling at 5 gens being wrong. If I chase a survivor at 5 gens and a flashlight starts hitting me, I'm going to remove that player from the game as quickly as possible. That flashlight is going to go away. if that means camping and tunneling at 5 gens....not a problem. There are reasons at 5 gens to do so.

    As a killer, I do not want to let up once I've created an advantage. I want to continue exactly what is working against that team. Each survivor team is different so what works against them are going to be different. I may camp and tunnel immediately if its an organized SWF. If its a casual team, Ill play more casual. The point needs to be driven home that survivors can massively influence the game with their own playing, but they have no say in the killers decisions.

    If it's SWF and the killer is camping the hook, it's only logical to want your friends to have fun, no? So, it's very predictable and effective strategy to camp and tunnel, but at the same time is going to ruin the match for the rest of the players. That's being selfish, a party breaker, and possibly even competitive although the game isn't competitive and will never be treated as one. Although we may make the decision to unhook, you do make the decision whether our friend can have a bit fun or if he or she gets it cut short; That's all onto you.

    No, not really. Tunneling the survivor with the most hooks is always going to be worth it, but I'll give you a credit here, as that's going to depend on the area where tunneling will have to occur; It's not worth going to the part of the map with no generators to ensure one survivors' survival or sacrifice, if it gets to cost you all the remaining generators.

    I don't believe, this is a matter of your physical health or age, but more of matter of your mental age; Meaning, even somebody who's at their fourties could possibly carry over the frustration like a children, and vice-versa. Therapy, all of the options do cost money.. Which isn't to mean to sound like arguing, but that most people will gladly keep their frustration if it means saving up energy that they could use while they're frustrated. Naturally, not everybody behaves immaturely.

    Oh, I must've been so wrong! No, it's all onto the killer; Killer's decision, killer's fault. The survivors doesn't get to choose what's going to happen under this case scenario, it's all in the hands of the killer. If you're going to disagree, then I'll drop it. I've thought that being considerate of others' feelings and emotions even in PvP games was normal and to be expected, but I guess.. I was wrong and too naïve.

    If flashlight is such an issue for you, why don't you use Franklin's Demise? Alright.. If eating a perk slot matters so much, then.. Good job on attempting to ruin the match for that player, although I'm not going to fully blame you; Half of it goes for the survivor for even bringing the flashlight to the match. There is never a reason to tunnel at five generators, unless at least three generators are being repaired in the meantime and about to pop.. Which does literally never happen, and you're only making excuses here. Fine, have it your way; Like I've mentioned, I'll drop it here.

    I see, that's a competitive behavior. Nothing wrong with that, until you do decide to deliberately play in a way to ensure ruining the experiences of the other players. If you're in a huge advantage and you do tunnel at five generators... Shame on you, really.



    No need to respond to this. I'm dropping it, so even if you were to respond, you wouldn't get any response from me.

  • It's annoying. Tactically it is a sound choice for the killer, tunneling a player out early allows you to shift the balance in your favour and control the match more easily. If someone goes for an unhook and you can't land a hit on them. You have a choice between a one hit down and a two hit down. In any other situation with a wounded and an unwounded survivor, as killer you'll hit the weaker one for the quicker hook.

    On the survivor side being tunneled is highly unpleasant and you can't really do much about it. Especially being hardcore tunneled where killer proxy camps hook and runs straight back after you to it on the sound notification. It's practically impossible to avoid that if they killer goes for it that hard.

    As killer I generally avoid tunneling, unless a surv has been extremely toxic, or it's clearly a very good swf team that I'm struggling against and it's the only way to secure a kill. In a standard game I haul ass away from the hook as soon as the surv is on it.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3220869#Comment_3220869

    If it's SWF and the killer is camping the hook, it's only logical to want your friends to have fun, no? So, it's very predictable and effective strategy to camp and tunnel, but at the same time is going to ruin the match for the rest of the players. That's being selfish, a party breaker, and possibly even competitive although the game isn't competitive and will never be treated as one. Although we may make the decision to unhook, you do make the decision whether our friend can have a bit fun or if he or she gets it cut short; That's all onto you.

    No, not really. Tunneling the survivor with the most hooks is always going to be worth it, but I'll give you a credit here, as that's going to depend on the area where tunneling will have to occur; It's not worth going to the part of the map with no generators to ensure one survivors' survival or sacrifice, if it gets to cost you all the remaining generators.

    I don't believe, this is a matter of your physical health or age, but more of matter of your mental age; Meaning, even somebody who's at their fourties could possibly carry over the frustration like a children, and vice-versa. Therapy, all of the options do cost money.. Which isn't to mean to sound like arguing, but that most people will gladly keep their frustration if it means saving up energy that they could use while they're frustrated. Naturally, not everybody behaves immaturely.

    Oh, I must've been so wrong! No, it's all onto the killer; Killer's decision, killer's fault. The survivors doesn't get to choose what's going to happen under this case scenario, it's all in the hands of the killer. If you're going to disagree, then I'll drop it. I've thought that being considerate of others' feelings and emotions even in PvP games was normal and to be expected, but I guess.. I was wrong and too naïve.

    If flashlight is such an issue for you, why don't you use Franklin's Demise? Alright.. If eating a perk slot matters so much, then.. Good job on attempting to ruin the match for that player, although I'm not going to fully blame you; Half of it goes for the survivor for even bringing the flashlight to the match. There is never a reason to tunnel at five generators, unless at least three generators are being repaired in the meantime and about to pop.. Which does literally never happen, and you're only making excuses here. Fine, have it your way; Like I've mentioned, I'll drop it here.

    I see, that's a competitive behavior. Nothing wrong with that, until you do decide to deliberately play in a way to ensure ruining the experiences of the other players. If you're in a huge advantage and you do tunnel at five generators... Shame on you, really.

    No need to respond to this. I'm dropping it, so even if you were to respond, you wouldn't get any response from me.

    Once again, PvP games are inherently selfish in the context of playing against the opposing side. The killers job is not to worry about your fun. His job is to kill you in any way the game allows. Survivors are also selfish....they use flashlights, they body block, they take perks that make the killers job frustrating. Each side is supposed to be selfish for THEIR SIDE. Its not hard to understand. It is hard to think clearly when you're tilted though which is what this entire conversation is about. Survivors Tilting because they have reached their player skill cap and cant handle losing.

    Tunneling the most hooked survivor is not always worth it. There are plenty of times tunneling can be detrimental to your match as a killer. In those times, Survivors want the killer to tunnel to keep the killer busy.

    Yes, naïve is a good term for your sentiment on PvP games and being considerate of peoples feelings. I don't intend or want to hurt someones feelings, but im not going to throw my match because someone might be upset by losing. Thats the most ridiculous reason to not do your job as the killer.

    I use other perks and choose not to use Franklins demise. Flashlights are an issue for me, but its an issue I can remedy in game. I dont need to create threads trying to ban survivors who use flashlights. Again, thats just silly. I get hit with a flashlight, lose the carried survivor; I say "SOB", chuckle, and go after that person until the flashlight is no longer an issue.

    Ive been playing online PvP games since 1997. I have never had the intention to ruin someone's day by playing the game and doing my part within the game.

    There is no Shame in tunneling. Just as there is no shame in survivors tunneling generators.

    I hope you drop it. I hope you learn to deal with tunneling; as in dont get angry about it, and learn to punish the Killer in game for doing it. The better a survivor is at making decisions in game to counter the killers plan, the more fun the game becomes. The better a killer gets as countering Survivors plans, the more fun the game becomes.

  • Strategies possible with just the base kit should have counters with just the base kit.

    Needing to bring a perk to counter a playstyle (which barely even counter it to begin with) is not counterplay.

  • What do I think about tunneling? When it's legitimately tunneling (killer focuses on one player to the exclusion of all others until they are dead), it really sucks.

    But context matters; did the killer do this immediately at the start of the game? If so, yeah, that's pretty lame. Really, really lame (but not bannable, that's just absurd). This tactic is typically unmistakable.

    Did the killer do this mid-late game when the match was slipping away from them? Then it's fine, and to be expected, honestly.

    I never do the former, but will sometimes do that latter. I think tunneling should be a tactic of necessity, not protocol.

    But like camping, a lot of people call it out when it's not actually happening. People who feel they were tunneled should ask themselves questions:

    1. After I was unhooked, did I get the hell away from the killer, or did I assume they wouldn't hit me again, and just kind of hung around in their face? If it's the latter, you weren't tunneled. After you get unhooked, gtfo.
    2. Did the killer hit or down anyone else after I was unhooked? If so, not tunneling. Really good killers often feel like they are constantly on you, even when spreading damage and downs. In those cases, no one is getting tunneled, the surv team is just getting wrecked.
    3. Did I deliberately use my BT/OTR endurance to bodyblock for the unhooker after I was unhooked? If so, you didn't get tunneled. (more often than not I will remove survs who do this).
    4. The ugly question no one wants to answer yes to: am I just the worst player on my team, and the one whose arse is constantly hanging out? If so, blame MMR that you died first.

    Also, people who tunnel (or attempt to tunnel) often totally throw the game by chasing the same surv for like half the match. It's a tactic that can blow up in your face if you're not good.

  • I get most of the argmunents against and for tunneling. And I totally understand if a killers tunnels with like only 2 gens left - needing the pressure to secure at least a 2 or 3k.

    But the current situation in my games is as follows: 5 gens left - one surv gets hooked by a nurse, a blight or a pyramid head - gets unhooked and the killer will return in the blink of an eye and hook that surv again.

    I even had a pyramid head, that downed me after being unhooked, surrounded me in trail of torment and dropped me again and again, so that I had to step in the trail - still 5 gens left, 1 surv already dead.

    I just feel like tunneling got so much worse since the 90sec gens and basekit BT - I just don't understand why?

    It just is so hard to have fun right now, because on top of the tunnelin, you'll get a gg ez at the end of the game from a player, that collects hours and -reps on his profile.

  • Tunneling is why I wish Decisive Strike wasn't nerfed so hard, a lot of killer players will tunnel because they want to kill the survivor player faster but it makes survivors miserable or just give up when they just got off the hook only to be chased and hooked again before they can get away and heal up.

    Basekit Borrowed Time and Off The Records do help but some killer players will just wait them out or keep chase until the survivor runs out of pallets. I think tunneling Killers should get a penalty for chasing a survivor that was just unhooked within 60 seconds or something.

  • @HagAdamMain said:

    Tunneling is why I wish Decisive Strike wasn't nerfed so hard, a lot of killer players will tunnel because they want to kill the survivor player faster but it makes survivors miserable or just give up when they just got off the hook only to be chased and hooked again before they can get away and heal up.

    Basekit Borrowed Time and Off The Records do help but some killer players will just wait them out or keep chase until the survivor runs out of pallets. I think tunneling Killers should get a penalty for chasing a survivor that was just unhooked within 60 seconds or something.

    If they do that, then survivors shouldn't be able to work on a generator while injured.

    Irrational penalties for survivor bad plays should be met with irrational penalties for survivors too.

  • I feel like there's two types of "tunneling", one of them being worse(in my opinion) but both viewed equally as bad in the community. If a killer goes and three hooks only one person that's not necessary to win a match, however if a killer has multiple hooks and chases somone off a hook to get them out and put more pressure on survivors (if they have 2 or 1 gen(s) left or if the exit gates are powered) that is reasonable in my opinion. So I half agree half disagree with tunnelling being toxic (not to say that it can't be ofc it can)

  • Every time I try to be nice to survivors, I end up regretting it immensely. So, tunneling is fine, do it if you need it. And sometimes it's really the best way. If you're good enough then you can gauge your skill against other people. The christmas elf dwight is trying to get your attention because they're good at running and looping. If you're in a match with someone you know is better than you, your best option is to target the weakest link, cut the support lines.

  • @feffrey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3220457#Comment_3220457

    So should survivors have to do gens? Why do gens when you can just loop the killer all day not our fault the killer is bad right

    That's more of a hindrance to your teammates and yourself then the Killer. Also if you're that good at looping then tunneling should be no problem whatsoever.

  • Personally, I don't like tunneling, but if the gens are flying and the killer decides they need to tunnel someone to get a kill on the scoreboard, I don't really blame them. If the gens aren't flying and they do that, well, meh. Some people just want to play like that. It's boring and dumb, but it's an option.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/349764/what-do-you-think-about-tunneling

    You should have said "tunneling-at-gen-5", because that is generally considered bad manners and toxic. Tunneling is perfectly fine in other situations.

    Its not considered toxic....even with 5 gens. Nothing about tunneling is toxic. Tunneling is a made up term survivors use to try to shame killers to take it easier on them.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3221182#Comment_3221182

    It actually is considered very toxic, even with killer players.

    You can say its unfun, a crutch, unskillful and whatever else. But we are well past the collective delusional era when it was considered toxic.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3221182#Comment_3221182

    It actually is considered very toxic, even with killer players.

    Not from the players I see posting.

    There are killers that will say that sometimes just so they dont have to argue with the SJS (Social Justice Survivors) here on the forums.

    The fact is its nothing more than whiny survivor mains who are mad that their lack of skill or planning causes them to die early in the match.

    Ill stop tunneling when ALL Survivors do all gens to 33%, then all gens to 66%, then all gens to 100%.

    You cant have it both ways. My objectives are not for a survivor to manage.


    Edit: if you're not having fun playing survivor because the killers dont play the way YOU want, Go play a killer and do it the "correct:" way in your opinion.

  • I think tunneling is defined as targeting one person at the detriment of losing the game or with no strategic plan in mind besides going after the one person until they are dead. Sometimes tunneling is the best option and it isnt personal though.

    Same thing with camping. If you hook someone and a survivor is dancing out of your reach waiting to unhook them, then those circumstances make camping a strategy. Didn't explain it the best but I think you catch my main meaning.

    Personally my matches haven't had alot of tunneling so I'm not too bothered.

  • @Draxlore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3221190#Comment_3221190

    Not from the players I see posting.

    There are killers that will say that sometimes just so they dont have to argue with the SJS (Social Justice Survivors) here on the forums.

    The fact is its nothing more than whiny survivor mains who are mad that their lack of skill or planning causes them to die early in the match.

    Ill stop tunneling when ALL Survivors do all gens to 33%, then all gens to 66%, then all gens to 100%.

    You cant have it both ways. My objectives are not for a survivor to manage.

    Edit: if you're not having fun playing survivor because the killers dont play the way YOU want, Go play a killer and do it the "correct:" way in your opinion.

    @Draxlore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3221190#Comment_3221190

    Not from the players I see posting.

    There are killers that will say that sometimes just so they dont have to argue with the SJS (Social Justice Survivors) here on the forums.

    The fact is its nothing more than whiny survivor mains who are mad that their lack of skill or planning causes them to die early in the match.

    Ill stop tunneling when ALL Survivors do all gens to 33%, then all gens to 66%, then all gens to 100%.

    You cant have it both ways. My objectives are not for a survivor to manage.

    Edit: if you're not having fun playing survivor because the killers dont play the way YOU want, Go play a killer and do it the "correct:" way in your opinion.

    I actually do that and mange pretty well but I do hope you get tunnel every game

  • @feffrey said:

    Players who tunnel should outright get banned if not suspended its unsportsmanlike conduct and just a hostile gaming environment.

    Those who tunnel do not care about the strat winning or losing they do it because they can and to ruin a players game.

    It's fun when I can ruin another player game right ? Until they out it down and go elsewhere. I honestly did andvkinda just play once or twice a few weeks.

    Now they're trying to address the tunneling camping issue but it's kinda too late now for a returning player they've made too many changes at that

    So ban people if they finish the gens too fast too right?

  • Not a fan of it but I understand why it happens because the game is set up in a way that it works in the killers favor to remove a survivor immediately. The devs would need to find a way to make it so tunneling hurts the killer more than helps for killers to aim for alternating hooks over getting a single survivor out as quickly as possible.

  • I see killers tunnel a single survivor all or a large portion of a match then complain when the remaining survivors finish all gens. I’ve even seen killers run Save the Best for Last but tunnel their obsession before the end of the match (at 3-4 gens). Then complain about killers being weak. Can anyone explain this to me?

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    Tunneling is a strategy picked by the Killer that the Survivors can counter but both the strategy and counter strategy have disparate skill floors (I'm not discussing camping here, only tunneling).

    The counters are taking hits for the tunneled person, if necessary taking a down, and waiting a bit before unhooking.

    As an example, if I see someone getting tunneled, if possible I body block the Killer and will go to the lengths of blocking a doorway so the Killer has to target me.

    I also don't unhook immediately. I get gen progress first so a Killer who is waiting to tunnel someone has to lose some precious time of us advancing our objective and them not advancing theirs.

    Games where people do take hits and trade hook states have a better outcome than those where survivors let their team fend for themselves. If the Killer gets a survivor out before 3 gens are done you'll probably also die. It also doesn't matter if you haven't been hooked before or if you're on death hook if you're the last survivor left; the next hook kills you.

    Helping your teammates survive until endgame helps you survive overall. There's problems, of course, with solo queue coordination but that's more reflective of how solo needs more information to reduce the delta between SWF and solo than the balance of tunneling overall.

    Personally, I would still like to see the DS nerf reverted and possibly working on both hook states as well as incentives such as basekit BBQ and Chili for Killers or a quasi Dying Light that encourage spreading hooks around more since the skill floor for tunnelling is a lot lower than the skill floor to counter tunneling though. It would be better to have both an incentive and disincentive working together to make tunneling less appealing.

    Best counter for tunneling is the other 3 rush gens as quickly as possible. I have had teammates throwing the whole match just trying to help me when im tunneled. One match for example this ada came to take hit I didn't need and giving killer free down at pallet which I needed to use. But as she went down there so instead my survivor dropping the pallet I ended up trying to heal her which took my otr away and also pallet stun which I would get. (Console moment). So this ada just helped killer tunnel me out and didn't do gens... once I died there was only 1 gen left.

    Well even worser tunneling experience was today when I looped killer very long after my first hook and my teammates did 4 gens and were almost done with the last gen 90-95% done but two of them run to take hits for me when the hook was right next to me while downed. Then somehow 2 went down at the gen and soon the 3rd one as well then and all got hooked to the basement...

  • It's just the killer trying to play efficiently.

    The same way survivors don't slow down their gens on purpose for the killers, the killer isn't required to slow down their objective for them.

    Any survivor saying otherwise is a hypocrite.


    I wish they would change core mechanics so killers could not tunnel and be efficient. But that's not the game we have right now. Turning the game into a 1v3 is one of, if not the best, decisions you can make.

  • A lazy strategy for unskilled killers

  • @Gamall said:

    A lazy strategy for unskilled killers

    Please elaborate....or are you too lazy to write more?

  • The survivor can also become really good at chases and out maneuver the killer...be skillful with looping.

    The skill it requires on the Killers part is to chase and beat a good looper quickly. If it takes too long, the other survivors will knock out the gens and the game is over.

    You're making the argument that survivors shouldn't have to use perks or be good at the game in order to win. Thats such a silly argument.

  • @Lima24927 said:

    i just played against a ttv streamer playing nurse, it was an open map with shack and basemet on the center, i dont kniw the name but a small map, he started chasing a kate, got 1 hook on her, and wheneve lwe saved her he proceeded to only focus her, even with 5 gens up, he killed her and started to tunnel me, hit me as soon as i was saved from hook, and didnt down me because i had basekit BT..

    what do you all think about tunneling ? have you been tunneled before ?

    Tunneling like you've described is the one thing I loathe running into as Survivor and one thing I actively try to avoid doing when I play killer. I'm not above hitting off-hook given the opportunity since it delays their re-entry into the game by however long it takes them to mend (and possibly for my ahead pop kill as Pig) but I won't go out of my way for it.

  • @Zeidoktor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/349764/what-do-you-think-about-tunneling

    Tunneling like you've described is the one thing I loathe running into as Survivor and one thing I actively try to avoid doing when I play killer. I'm not above hitting off-hook given the opportunity since it delays their re-entry into the game by however long it takes them to mend (and possibly for my ahead pop kill as Pig) but I won't go out of my way for it.

    I don't want any survivors to mend when I play killer, whether i'm tunneling or not. Just like survivors don't want me kicking and regressing their gens.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223789#Comment_3223789

    If you are responding to me...

    What I am saying is that it is easier to tunneling-at-gen-5 a no-anti-tunnel-perk-survivor than it is for that survivor to escape. The skill required for a killer to tunnel-at-gen-5 is much much lower than the skill for a survivor to escape tunneling without anti-tunnel perks.

    With equally skilled players, a killer should only get 0-1 kills for tunneling-at-gen-5, because tunneling-at-gen-5 is extremely low skill. It requires no effort to pull off but greatly rewards the killer player. The reward does not justify the skill.

    You're still making the skill argument which goes both ways. If the killer can easily chase down a survivor while tunneling, then the survivor lacks the skills to escape or prolong the chase. How can the winner of the chase have LESS skill in the chase than the loser of the chase?

    The survivors get pallets, flashbangs, flashlights, quicker vaults, can crouch in brush or hide behind objects, can cross paths with other survivors which throws off following tracks, ect.. The killer has to constantly cut off the survivors movements, try and force the survivor to vault through an unsafe opening, drop pallets at the wrong time, or slide across pallets at the wrong time, has to follow the right tracks, avoiding the flashlights and flashbangs. Then when the survivor is down, has to find a hook that can be used, avoid body blocks and flashlights/flashbombs again, make sure the hook they are using isnt being sabo....all this before getting a hook.

    With a skilled survivor, the killer has to have just as much skill to get the kill.

  • @Lima24927 said:

    i just played against a ttv streamer playing nurse, it was an open map with shack and basemet on the center, i dont kniw the name but a small map, he started chasing a kate, got 1 hook on her, and wheneve lwe saved her he proceeded to only focus her, even with 5 gens up, he killed her and started to tunnel me, hit me as soon as i was saved from hook, and didnt down me because i had basekit BT..

    what do you all think about tunneling ? have you been tunneled before ?

    I for myself think that tunneling (aka ignoring everyone else until that person is dead; said survivor did no conspicuous action etc) at 5 or 4 gens often shows a lack of skill. If I need to tunnel during that time to get anything done during the match then I'm clearly not that good.

    I am completely fine with tunneling if gens fly or if there is only 1 or 2 of them left (or even none left). And this should never be punished.

    Going for the wrong person to tunnel fan lose you matches and going for the right one can win it.

    But just instantly wanting to tunnel someone out is being a bad sport. Not to mention that no average - decent nurse should need to tunnel or camp at all. YOU ARE NURSE! The single OP killer in this game.

  • @Draxlore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223799#Comment_3223799

    I don't want any survivors to mend when I play killer, whether i'm tunneling or not. Just like survivors don't want me kicking and regressing their gens.

    png-clipart-saitama-cartoon-one-punch-man-saitama-ok-memes-saitama-ok.png

    And...?

  • @Lima24927 said:

    i just played against a ttv streamer playing nurse, it was an open map with shack and basemet on the center, i dont kniw the name but a small map, he started chasing a kate, got 1 hook on her, and wheneve lwe saved her he proceeded to only focus her, even with 5 gens up, he killed her and started to tunnel me, hit me as soon as i was saved from hook, and didnt down me because i had basekit BT..

    what do you all think about tunneling ? have you been tunneled before ?

    When u 2ppl a generator is it tunneling a generator?

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223817#Comment_3223817

    That's why I prefaced my post with, equally skilled players.

    Tunneling-at-gen-5 is way-way easier than looping. Looping is an extremely high-skill tactic. The better a player is at looping the more they are rewarded, this applies to both killers and survivors equally.

    However, tunneling-at-gen-5, is extremely low skill. Here's why, (barring the 10-sec Borrowed-Time).

    1. The survivor starts with 1 health state instead of two. (You can't say it's easier to chase a 2 health state survivor over a 1 health state survivor)
    2. The survivor has no speed burst from getting hit like a 2-health-state survivor.
    3. The killer can place a survivor in a dead-zone, completely negating looping.
    4. The unhooked survivor is half as strong as a 2-health-state survivor.
    5. The survivor is easier to track because of blood.
    6. The survivor is easier to track because of sound.

    So playing the 1-health-state survivor requires a much-much higher level of skill than the killer who is tunneling. The survivor is highly disadvantaged while the killer is at a high advantage.

    I would say the skill to tunnel-at-gen-5 a survivor requires less than half the skill it takes to chase a full health survivor. This is because the killer has the advantage of placing the survivor in a dead-zone. As a survivor, you can't even loop if a killer places you in a dead-zone.

    You say easier, I say more efficient. Also the chase doesnt depend on health states. the number of gens doesnt matter either. Tunneling a player at gen 5 is the same in skill as tunneling at gen 1.

  • If the killer gets a 4k, I think it's beyond rude and a sign of poor sportsmanship to tell them they're tunneling. If they crushed you and got a 4k, then scoreboard, dude. Tunneling is rarely a good strategy, so if they won, they were either not tunneling, or using it as a strategy (ex: if the killer is in a lot of situations where they have to choose between multiple survivors, they're obviously going to choose the one that they can get more value from, like the injured survivor or the obsession.)

    Like I said, though, tunneling is rarely used if the killer won. If the killer did not do well and was tunneling way too much, than they're just being a dick and you could totally call them out for tunneling.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223891#Comment_3223891

    It is very dependent on health states, that's why killers do it. It's twice as easy to down a 1-health-state survivor over a 2-health-state survivor. In reality, it should be harder to tunnel out someone just put on a hook, not easier. The reward for tunneling someone out far out-weights how easy it is to do it.

    Why should it be harder?

    Are you saying gens should take twice as long after 33% and 4 times as long after 66%?

    How are you not understanding the objectives of the game?

    The argument that you are unhappy because you arent getting better and cant escape the killer isnt valid. Get better and youll find a lot more success.

  • It sounds like you were on Rotten Fields. Tunneling is definitely not a healthy and fun strategy but it's logical. Some killers tunnel because they want to win and it's the best option you have. The only thing that can really go wrong is picking a survivor that can run you for a long time. Tunneling exists for survivors and for killers. Survivors don't stop on a gen when it's 33% done and go to another, do they? The only differences are the effectiveness and their impact on the other side's morale. Overall tunneling is an ugly thing but ultimately you can't really blame anyone for doing something logic.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    Tunneling ruins the entire match for not just the targeted player, but for the rest of the players aswell.

    Whoever gets tunneled doesn't get to play the game, and the same applies to the killer; All he or she gets to have is a survivor downed within one hit, unless there are other perks' effects present, which is rarely the case. The rest pf the players do get no interaction whatsoever, but M1 simulator and watching gears of generators moving up and down from being repaired.. That's so much fun..

    You do wanna play the game, have some chases there and there, from time to time watch your character scream in pain (from survivor's POV) and either get sacrificed for the team or escape; Nobody really cares.. As long as the chases were somewhat challenging and there were funny moments from time to time, nor the survivor nor the killer will care about the amount of hooks.

    Those who tunnel do it, because of two reasons; Reason one being, it's oppressive and very effective at dealing with really good survivors, as it reduces the speed the generators can be progressed at and removes one more prey required to be caught. The second reason being, they're ruinin the match. Yup, and they do enjoy every second of it.. Sadists, who do ruin the game to literally every single player.

    The moment you start tunneling, you're selfish or playing in a heavily biased way. There's no AI, each survivor character is controlled by a player, and if you don't care.. Well, then you're being unsportsmanlike, ain't that right?

    I do despise of tunneling, but I will definitely tunnel cheaters and griefers; Those do deserve it the most.. Or the most stubborn ones; For example, I do return after failing to find a survivor, only to find the recently unhooked survivor right on another generator, not even taking the time to heal and not bothering to run away from me.. Yeah, I'll take it and hook the same survivor again, as I don't feel like giving them a free outta jail card just because they've happened to be hooked recently.

    I do only tunnel because the challenges do force me to - Gain X iridescent Emblems, for example.. And I'm never having fun when I'm playing that way.. Never..

    I think tunnel is a fair tacktic, that show result as it take hands from the other team. And it does not hurt the game, the other player can try the help the one being tunnel and even if the the being tunnel get kill early you can enter the loby and start a new game pretty fast. It is only a problem for people who surviver with friends, with's mean they are most likely using voicse chat, and that is somthing I think as cheating, when you look at how much info means in DBD, and the deb has not made voise or text chat in the trail a thing

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223973#Comment_3223973

    The argument that you are unhappy because you arent getting better and cant escape the killer isnt valid. Get better and youll find a lot more success.

    This ad hominem indicates to me that you are losing the argument with me. Instead of making a valid counter statement, you are attacking my character. Since I don't play the game anymore, this statement is nonsense.

    How are you not understanding the objectives of the game?

    This kind of came out of left field. Again, an indication to me that you are losing this argument.

    Are you saying gens should take twice as long after 33% and 4 times as long after 66%?

    Another statement that comes out of nowhere. What are you even talking about? I never once mentioned gen speeds, so I'm really dumbfounded by this statement. I'm really curious where you got this from.

    ---

    Why should it be harder?

    You could have left off the other 3 statements because they had absolutely nothing to add to this entire debate. I'll answer this one because it's a valid question and I should have explained myself when I said it.

    In my personal opinion about DBD game design, I think it would be healthier for all players if it was more difficult to "tunnel" someone off of hook. My reasoning for this is that reducing the number of survivors to 3 is too rewarding for the killer player, compared to how easy it is to accomplish this. Reducing the number of survivors to 3 is so rewarding, it causes killer players to tunnel. If it was harder for killers to remove a survivor quickly from the game, then the killer would try to play for hooks rather than play for kills which, again, in my personal opinion, is more fun for both killer players and survivor players.

    Survivor players, which is 4/5s of the player base, as a whole, don't enjoy a killer tunneling them. You can look at the vast amount of forum threads and see this. Killer players, seem to have more fun when they are playing for hooks over kills. So again, my personal opinion, game health as a whole would improve for both sides if it was more difficult to tunnel survivors out.

    This are my thoughts on the game and I sincerely doubt this will ever happen because the developers would have to rebalance both sides.

    Reducing the survivors is the entire objective for the killer.

    Saying those points I mentioned aren't valid....is very confusing since were talking about objectives....Survivors being killed as quickly as possible(Killers sole objective) and generators being completed as quickly as possible (survivors objective). If you slow down killing the survivors, you MUST slow down the survivors ability to repair generators. That's just fact.

    Talking about Winning/Losing an argument on the forum means you have nothing constructive to add or don't have a response to what was said or asked. I don't care about the argument...I care about you beginning to understand the game which is clear you don't. You seem to be under the impression that arguing on the forum makes you a better player...this also is not the case.

    Saying I am attacking your character while giving you advice is so immature. Stop playing the victim on the forum and go play the victim(survivor) in the game. I promise....if you put effort into the game, you will get better. Tunneling wont make you cry anymore once you understand how to beat it.

    Your argument means nothing because it is entirely based on your feelings being hurt because you aren't skilled enough to complete the match.

    It doesn't matter if you don't enjoy it. Its part of the game. Remove or put artificial invulnerability trash in place will make the game impossible to play. The killers wont play killers and you will have hour long que times.

    I've been playing a lot of survivor lately and have NO issues...i repeat...ZERO issues when being tunneled. Sometimes I win the chase, sometimes I don't win the chase. Its part of the game...part of the fun.

    Your feelings don't matter.

  • I did, you're saying Killers shouldn't be able to do their objectives by focusing on a single part of their objective at once. This is the most one sided opinion ever. If you slow down the killers objective, the survivors objective must be slowed down too.

    Your reasoning is because you don't like like it. You say 80% of the game population doesn't like it....which i disagree with massively. I would say the low MMR people...bottom 25% don't like it because they don't know how to handle it yet.

  • @Wezil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3224111#Comment_3224111

    You are obviously upset and worked up. Your agitation does not help your argument any. You posted 3 posts now, that haven't added anything to this discussion. I'm completely uninterested in continuing this.

    Obviously I'm worked up...haha

    Good then don't continue it. I do hope you improve your in game skills and maybe you'll see what everyone has been telling you for a while now.

    Enjoy

  • @feffrey said:

    Players who tunnel should outright get banned if not suspended its unsportsmanlike conduct and just a hostile gaming environment.

    Those who tunnel do not care about the strat winning or losing they do it because they can and to ruin a players game.

    It's fun when I can ruin another player game right ? Until they out it down and go elsewhere. I honestly did andvkinda just play once or twice a few weeks.

    Now they're trying to address the tunneling camping issue but it's kinda too late now for a returning player they've made too many changes at that

    Omfg...dude, you and people who think like you are exactly what's wrong with this community, and why it has such a notorious reputation for obnoxious toxicity. Seriously, you need to find some other game to play on a permanent basis, because this clearly ain't for you.

  • @feffrey said:

    Players who tunnel should outright get banned if not suspended its unsportsmanlike conduct and just a hostile gaming environment.

    Those who tunnel do not care about the strat winning or losing they do it because they can and to ruin a players game.

    It's fun when I can ruin another player game right ? Until they out it down and go elsewhere. I honestly did andvkinda just play once or twice a few weeks.

    Now they're trying to address the tunneling camping issue but it's kinda too late now for a returning player they've made too many changes at that

    OK - how do you propose we decide when a killer gets banned for tunneling?

  • BHVR needs to give a bonus that helps the killer win for not tunnelling. Tunnelling is simply the most effective strategy and it's necessary to beat high mmr survivors.

  • Gotta tunnel sometimes. If I have a few hooks on different survivors n there's only 2 gens left...someone's gotta go. Doing it at the start of the game at 5 gens though is wack.

  • Blame behavior for making killers mmr regard kills but not hook stages,, in other words if i play nice and 2 hook everyone im a loser but if i tunnel the weak links to force early 3v1 and take over from there im good and gain mmr,, also mmr aside some games you do have to tunnel to have a chance as killer,, gens are way faster these days even before the 10 extra seconds and most maps are horrible for killer while survivors only have one bad map for them and a few slightly killer sided

  • I think Scott is right that it's not always a viable strategy. If you go up against an actual good team like everyone claims they go against every match then you are going to lose if you tunnel one guy. The rest of the team is going to burn through the gens since you aren't putting any pressure on them. You might kill one guy but the rest will get away. Most survivors who get hard tunneled out are helpless noobs and tunneling wasn't even really necessary in those games to begin with. I keep hearing people say you have to do it at high MMR. I thought high MMR survivors did all the gens in like 3 minutes? How does tunneling counter that? A good looper is going to last a long time. An actual good survivor is not going to get tunneled out in a few minutes. They'll have dead hard, otr, maybe ds.

  • @feffrey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3220463#Comment_3220463

    The need to tunnel is a skill issue and most if not all killers have the utilities they need not to tunnel . I play killer and don't tunnel and I do just fine or did just fine (before the changes)

    How the hell did you do good before the changes? Mf everyone kept dead harding to a good pallet. I drop chase because some dude dead hards to a god pallet, and the next person I chase ALSO has dead hard and extends chase. Should I have just moved faster? What kinda games were you playing??

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/349764/what-do-you-think-about-tunneling

    I for myself think that tunneling (aka ignoring everyone else until that person is dead; said survivor did no conspicuous action etc) at 5 or 4 gens often shows a lack of skill. If I need to tunnel during that time to get anything done during the match then I'm clearly not that good.

    I am completely fine with tunneling if gens fly or if there is only 1 or 2 of them left (or even none left). And this should never be punished.

    Going for the wrong person to tunnel fan lose you matches and going for the right one can win it.

    But just instantly wanting to tunnel someone out is being a bad sport. Not to mention that no average - decent nurse should need to tunnel or camp at all. YOU ARE NURSE! The single OP killer in this game.

    I was tunneled out prestige 70 nurse with range at 5 gens. I went to hide in basement on death hook and she searched whole map to get me. After that she slugged rest quickly. Nurses and blights are usually biggest hard tunnelers but other killers usually switch target and play more fair way. That just show no matter how much killers will get buffed tunneling will never end until it's not easiest way to win. Taking someone out like 1-2 gens it's fine usually at that point you have multiple hooks anyway.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3223833#Comment_3223833

    I was tunneled out prestige 70 nurse with range at 5 gens. I went to hide in basement on death hook and she searched whole map to get me. After that she slugged rest quickly. Nurses and blights are usually biggest hard tunnelers but other killers usually switch target and play more fair way. That just show no matter how much killers will get buffed tunneling will never end until it's not easiest way to win. Taking someone out like 1-2 gens it's fine usually at that point you have multiple hooks anyway.

    True Nurse and Blight players are often so sweaty.

    Sometimes Wesker also tunnels but that is due to people using the vaccine wrong. They do it in his TR or don't leave afterwards.

    I always try to be nice as long as the other side is. So if you chose to tbag a lot or clickyclicky, then I tunnel and camp. I keep it nice and simple: you run into me after getting unhooked or do a Gen/ totem in my face without healing or if I find you self-caring in a corner, don't complain about tunneling.

    I had someone one complaining about me tunneling as Nurse when I just hooked someone else and saw them on their Plaything with BBQ.

1 2 ›