WHAT'S THE FIX TO CAMPING?

All right, let's try to have a thoughtful, organized, and productive discussion. We all know what camping is, and unless you're a player who likes to camp, it's generally seen as a problem.

Of those people who see it as a problem, there tend to be two camps. One camp is made of people who think, "It sucks, but that's human nature. The devs can't do anything about that." The other is, "The devs can fix it. If they make changes to the game that discourage--or even prevent--camping, camping will be a thing of the past." If you are someone who believes the devs can prevent/dissuade camping, please explain your ideas on how that can be done. I assume there will be more than one answer, since different Killers have different powers (Bubba camping is a different scenario than Trapper camping). So, what are your ideas? Please explain.


***IMPORTANT****

I know there are some of you who have nuanced opinions--or even totally different opinions. Some of you think, "If a person buys a game, they can do whatever they want. Your feelings about that aren't important." Others think, "Grow a thicker skin and move on to the next game." Others think, "It's a valid strategy--even if you don't like it." I understand you have your perspectives. However, the purpose of this thread is to hear from the people who believe the devs can change it to explain how. I'd rather stick to that topic than get lost in a sea of various opinions. Please keep that in mind. This is a very specific thread topic, and I want to understand those people's opinions and ideas.

Comments

  • Increase hook timer, remove hook grab. Camping is fixed

  • 4% and hook grabs need to go.

  • @Katzengott said:

    4% and hook grabs need to go.

    Just to confirm I understand, you want to change it so that the only way someone could get themselves down is with deliverance? Or do you mean you want to increase the percentage rate, so people are more likely to be able to get themselves off the hook?

  • @fulltonon said:

    You know, just remove hooks, let survivors respawn from four random location after 60 seconds.

    Can't believe I'm saying this, but without reading the rest of this thread - this really is the nuclear option. If Camping really was as prevalent as people make it seem to be, and player base actually left for it - This is the quick and dirty fix that actually survives.

  • @fulltonon said:

    You know, just remove hooks, let survivors respawn from four random location after 60 seconds.

    You know I like this idea. I proposed a new game type idea some time ago that included not being able to remove a player from the game.

    Though I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not I like the idea.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    All right, let's try to have a thoughtful, organized, and productive discussion. We all know what camping is, and unless you're a player who likes to camp, it's generally seen as a problem.

    Of those people who see it as a problem, there tend to be two camps. One camp is made of people who think, "It sucks, but that's human nature. The devs can't do anything about that." The other is, "The devs can fix it. If they make changes to the game that discourage--or even prevent--camping, camping will be a thing of the past." If you are someone who believes the devs can prevent/dissuade camping, please explain your ideas on how that can be done. I assume there will be more than one answer, since different Killers have different powers (Bubba camping is a different scenario than Trapper camping). So, what are your ideas? Please explain.

    ***IMPORTANT****

    I know there are some of you who have nuanced opinions--or even totally different opinions. Some of you think, "If a person buys a game, they can do whatever they want. Your feelings about that aren't important." Others think, "Grow a thicker skin and move on to the next game." Others think, "It's a valid strategy--even if you don't like it." I understand you have your perspectives. However, the purpose of this thread is to hear from the people who believe the devs can change it to explain how. I'd rather stick to that topic than get lost in a sea of various opinions. Please keep that in mind. This is a very specific thread topic, and I want to understand those people's opinions and ideas.

    I would put a penality in place where if u camp a survivor and refuse to leave them for more than 30 seconds to chase or stop other survivors. At the end of the match, take half of whatever amount of bloodpoints they earned away so if they get the penality and say for example they ended the match with 20,000 bloodpoints. 10,000 of that gets taken away as a penality. The penality happens only once so they still get some bloodpoints.

    I can pretty much guarantee u that no killer is gonna be stupid enough to risk half their bloodpoints to camp a survivor thus stopping it from happening so that everyone can enjoy the match and it isn't ruined for the one person the killer chooses to camp.

    Literally camping is one of the worst things a killer can do to a survivor cause it ruins the match for the survivor he camps, makes it no fun at all for that person and they leave that match upset at the outcome instead of being able to say that was a good match. There should be a penality to doing it reguardless of the reason the person is doing it. It's not fair to the one person u camp that everyone else gets a bunch of bloodpoints in the match cause the killer won't leave ur side. That and the fact it is very rare to find a survivor willing to risk his or her neck to attempt to save someone being camped. I've ended up giving alot of survivors I play the game with the un-sportsman-like option instead of props at the end of the match if they didn't bother to even attempt to try and help me while the killer is camping me and I feel that is justified in that instance.

    Not to mention the fact that u aren't a very good killer if u have to rely on camping one person cause u are too lazy or such a lousy killer that u can't seek people out on the map and play the game the way it was meant to be played when ur the killer.

  • @Maxx_Calin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/333565/whats-the-fix-to-camping

    I would put a penality in place where if u camp a survivor and refuse to leave them for more than 30 seconds to chase or stop other survivors. At the end of the match, take half of whatever amount of bloodpoints they earned away so if they get the penality and say for example they ended the match with 20,000 bloodpoints. 10,000 of that gets taken away as a penality. The penality happens only once so they still get some bloodpoints.

    I can pretty much guarantee u that no killer is gonna be stupid enough to risk half their bloodpoints to camp a survivor thus stopping it from happening so that everyone can enjoy the match and it isn't ruined for the one person the killer chooses to camp.

    Literally camping is one of the worst things a killer can do to a survivor cause it ruins the match for the survivor he camps, makes it no fun at all for that person and they leave that match upset at the outcome instead of being able to say that was a good match. There should be a penality to doing it reguardless of the reason the person is doing it. It's not fair to the one person u camp that everyone else gets a bunch of bloodpoints in the match cause the killer won't leave ur side. That and the fact it is very rare to find a survivor willing to risk his or her neck to attempt to save someone being camped. I've ended up giving alot of survivors I play the game with the un-sportsman-like option instead of props at the end of the match if they didn't bother to even attempt to try and help me while the killer is camping me and I feel that is justified in that instance.

    Not to mention the fact that u aren't a very good killer if u have to rely on camping one person cause u are too lazy or such a lousy killer that u can't seek people out on the map and play the game the way it was meant to be played when ur the killer.

    Sure, as long as we also make it so that if a survivor doesn't spend at least 2 minutes in chase, they lose half their bloodpoints at the end too. This forces more interaction with the killer and punishes those survivors who are so bad at the game they can only do gens. That makes it fair right?

  • @serpentk1ng said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3062397#Comment_3062397

    Sure, as long as we also make it so that if a survivor doesn't spend at least 2 minutes in chase, they lose half their bloodpoints at the end too. This forces more interaction with the killer and punishes those survivors who are so bad at the game they can only do gens. That makes it fair right?

    That would make no sense to give a penality to a survivor for not being in a chase for 2 mins. Avoiding running into the killer is something that survivors are suppose to try and do while working on generators.

    Killers who camp a survivor should get a penality cause camping is not suppose to be part of the game and people who do it aren't playing the game and giving those people who have to deal with being camped a fair chance to win along with every other survivor. Camping killers ruin DBD and should not be allowed to do so without getting some kind of penalty for it.

    Also how exactly does it punish survivors who can only do generators? Any survivor can do more than that no matter how good at the game they are. It's those who only do generators and never save anyone from the hook that aren't playing as a team with their fellow survivors.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3060708#Comment_3060708

    Just to confirm I understand, you want to change it so that the only way someone could get themselves down is with deliverance? Or do you mean you want to increase the percentage rate, so people are more likely to be able to get themselves off the hook?

    It always should need a helping hand when your hanging on a meathook.

    Perks like Deliverance are also bullshit, for both sides.

  • Completing generators restores any active hook timers by (x)sec. Then let comraderie activate only in endgame. Be it a perk or base kit ..could careless

  • @DBK1 said:

    Completing generators restores any active hook timers by (x)sec. Then let comraderie activate only in endgame. Be it a perk or base kit ..could careless

    I've never heard that idea before. So are you thinking, if the Killer is within X range of a hooked Survivor, any generator that gets completed during that time adds X seconds to the timer (regardless of the stage, but camaraderie and it will stack unless it's endgame)?

    Hmmm. I keep going over pros and cons in my head, and mulling over different tweaks that might account for some of those cons. But it is an interesting idea. If the devs fleshed out some tweaks and variables, it might be a, dare I say it . . . balanced . . . adjustment.

    For instance, something like that shouldn't kick in the moment a Survivor is hooked. Every Killer needs time to get away, but people like Hag and Trapper also need time to set their traps. The math would have to account for that time.

  • Nothing wrong or bad about camping. Just a strat that survivors don’t like, but If I was to pretend it was so “awful”, I guess my solution would be…

    Have the Entity scoop up the Killer a move them to a new location, whenever he hooks a survivor. I know some people hate RNG as much as others hate camping but just leave it to the DbD gods on if Killer suddenly appears next to your gen or not lol.

    I dunno, but if Killer makes it back to the hook before rescue, Then it’s on you lol

  • Longer hook times

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Would a system where the timer is paused if no other survivors are near the hook and the killer stands within a certain distance. I’m not sure how this could be abused by survivors but I’m sure I’m not thinking of something.

    That's what I wondered, too. A lot of the valid Killers complaints against this idea were because Survivors intentionally looped near the hooked Survivor. But if the code can already account for a Killer's proximity to a hooked Survivor, then it should also be able to account for an additional Survivor's proximity to the hooked Survivor/Killer.

  • @Bwsted said:

    It's very very simple. Not necessarily perfect, but I'd call it a 95% solution.

    Remove hook grabs and hook interruptions. Once you get the prompt and press the key, you're locked in animation (same like when the killer picks up). You still get damage. So, the killer is still free to get the trade.

    But they can't just stand at the hook and camp 2 people by playing the grab game, or force an additional person off gens, or simply get guaranteed kills via facecamp and passive slowdown.

    That, and the hook timer per stage needs to be increased given the increase in gen time.

    There. You can still camp strategically. It's the mindless standing at the hook that is nerfed.

    If you still get dmg but grabs arent possible, there is no risk in a save in the killers face while being healthy, you save against any m1 killer, the unhooked person bodyblocks with bt/otr, what the killer gonna do?, get dunked thats what.

    Altho tbf they deserve it for selecting an m1 killer anyways.

  • @squbax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3052844#Comment_3052844

    If you still get dmg but grabs arent possible, there is no risk in a save in the killers face while being healthy, you save against any m1 killer, the unhooked person bodyblocks with bt/otr, what the killer gonna do?, get dunked thats what.

    Altho tbf they deserve it for selecting an m1 killer anyways.

    I think it's possible to have a conversation about your earlier points, but to be honest, I just can't help but laugh at the shade in your last paragraph lol I'm stuck on that 😆

  • @squbax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3052844#Comment_3052844

    If you still get dmg but grabs arent possible, there is no risk in a save in the killers face while being healthy, you save against any m1 killer, the unhooked person bodyblocks with bt/otr, what the killer gonna do?, get dunked thats what.

    Altho tbf they deserve it for selecting an m1 killer anyways.

    If you wait to injure them, then yes, they could get away with it.

    If you just swing right away, then it'd be the same as it is currently. They can't regain control of their character in time before the unhook is completed to avoid the second m1, unless there's Desperate Measures or Leader in the mix. It's a guaranteed trade.

  • Have hooked survivors repair gens way slower (and unhooked ones repair faster), so the killer isn't significantly penalized for locking down one guy instead of leaving to go chase everybody else.

    Easy Peasy.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063323#Comment_3063323

    It doesn't work. Because sometimes there's a 3 gen you want to keep. Or 2 survivors messed up. So you have 2 hooks within 10m. It's a neccesary pressure sometimes. You can't have a situation where you basically have to force the killer away from the hook to make the hook stage go. Only for them to get the save, and pop that 80 % done final gen (just examples)

    I think to be fair, the math would have to be precisely determined before saying it'll work/not work. There have to be specific distances between different variables, and then the math would have to be tested in the PTB. Adjustments could then be made to reassess, and then that'll reveal the viability.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3052696#Comment_3052696

    I have to disagree. I've given many jump-scares standing in a corner next to a generator. :)

    I have to admit, that does sound pretty funny lol No one has ever jump-scared me like that.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3052724#Comment_3052724

    I have to admit, that does sound pretty funny lol No one has ever jump-scared me like that.

    I don't think its a very common use of that perk. For some reason, the idea of "Insidious" seems welded to the basement.

    It makes it more effective though.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064896#Comment_3064896

    I don't think its a very common use of that perk. For some reason, the idea of "Insidious" seems welded to the basement.

    It makes it more effective though.

    I sincerely hope we play against each other and you pull that trick on me. I would love it lol

    See you in the fog.

    7Asn.gif


  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3055289#Comment_3055289

    Maybe something like that could be for DBD2, but I don't think they'd let Survivors change their load outs. I've sometimes wondered what DBD2 could look like. I thought maybe there'd be a "story mode" where you have to escape from the Entity once and for all.

    Your idea of changing the mechanics with having people spawn in, and Survivors having to choose to work on gens/do a ritual, is certainly interesting.

    Lol, who would be dumb enough to buy DBD 2?

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063468#Comment_3063468

    Just seems like an overly complicated thing that BHVR won't do. I'll spare listing situations again. But you would need range checks for generators, survivors, hooks in the area. To even try to accurately get a picture of a situation on when they should camp.

    Then it just ends up being "abusable" by killers. Because what's stopping me from just hooking near a gen. Just so I can camp ?

    True. Financially, BHVR has to see it as something worth coding and testing. However, if they did want to, I can think of a few beginning variables to start a test with.

  • The best way to fix camping is by uninstalling the game.

  • I would--after making sure it was good from watching Twitch streams/Youtube videos 😏

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064904#Comment_3064904

    I sincerely hope we play against each other and you pull that trick on me. I would love it lol

    See you in the fog.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/VIYBF7GH4WM0/7asn.gif

    If you are in Europe and that's your player name, I'll try to remember and say hi (this name doesn't matches any of my game accounts)


    o7

  • @Gary_Coleman said:

    The best way to fix camping is by uninstalling the game.

    Clueless (1995) clip with quote Thank you for that perspective, Cher. Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.

    lol

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064922#Comment_3064922

    If you are in Europe and that's your player name, I'll try to remember and say hi (this name doesn't matches any of my game accounts)

    o7

    Alas, no. I'm in the western half of North America. ☹️ Not my name, either. Bummer.

  • Honestly ppl are gonna play how they’re gone a play. I say baseline kinship and hardcore campers/tunnlers (at 5 gens) should have all points earned transferred to survivor if they are sacrificed at one hook or the only hook the killer has.

  • Only way to fix camping and tunneling is to make taking one player out of the equation too early detrimental to the killer, while rewarding them for spreading hooks around. At the same time survivors cannot be rewarded for leaving a player to die. How you do that is far more complicated.

  • @Zexbunny said:

    Only way to fix camping and tunneling is to make taking one player out of the equation too early detrimental to the killer, while rewarding them for spreading hooks around. At the same time survivors cannot be rewarded for leaving a player to die. How you do that is far more complicated.

    If that happened, I could see Killer mains saying that the same has to be true for Survivors. If Survivors click their flashlights, body block a hook, or teabag, then they should also lose points.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3065117#Comment_3065117

    If that happened, I could see Killer mains saying that the same has to be true for Survivors. If Survivors click their flashlights, body block a hook, or teabag, then they should also lose points.

    Who mentioned bloodpoint this has nothing to do with bloodpoints. Killers need to be rewarded for leaving the hook in gameplay not with points. Campers don't care about bp.

  • @Zexbunny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3065242#Comment_3065242

    Who mentioned bloodpoint this has nothing to do with bloodpoints. Killers need to be rewarded for leaving the hook in gameplay not with points. Campers don't care about bp.

    My bad. That reply was meant for the person above you who said, " . . .  and hardcore campers/tunnlers (at 5 gens) should have all points earned transferred to survivor if they are sacrificed at one hook or the only hook the killer has."

    Replying to your comment, there have been some ideas shared here that I think might be viable. Will they ever get done? I don't know. But I think it is possible.

  • I mean it's a bit unfair that (just as an example) the artist can't use her power in a certain range next to a hooked survivor (which would only injure the survivor,if hit directly and in close proximity to the summoned birds), but Oni can pop his instadown as soon as he sees the person who came for the rescue and down both of them,given the "unhooker" didn't bring BT.

    Same thing with Dredge, he can't teleport right next to the hook if there's a locker nearby (the locker is then shown as "blocked" by the entity), but nurse with range/recharge add-ons blinking back and forth from the other end of the map to check on the poor soul hanging from the hook doesn't seem to be a problem.

    Personally, I see a consistency here. The new killers (trickster might be the exception to this rule tho, if you ever met a camping trickster,you know what I mean) are being somewhat limited as to how and from how far away they can camp, but the "older" killers don't seem to have any limitations whatsoever.

    This is just an idea, but the mechanic of pyramid-head's cages seems to be really interesting if the devs want to take a closer look at preventing camping in the future. Since the killer doesn't know exactly where the caged survivor will spawn, the survivors would have time to go for the unhook. Hell, since this game is so RNG based, the "hook" could also spawn in the basement if you're lucky as killer. The point is that you don't know that. There could be a timer (like the killer gets to see the hook after 5/15/30 etc. seconds and the general rules of hooking/hooks should be worked on as well), but I think this is something worth considering.

    I am aware that this mechanic has many flaws and might require perks/tiles/generator and hook spawn locations being reworked, it's just a thought that crossed my mind since I have been seeing more and more posts and complaints about camping, especially since the new update was announced and many content-creators voiced their concerns that even though tunneling has been addressed, camping will still be the elephant in the room.

  • Pyramid head cages are the answer

  • @MaudetteClorel said:

    I mean it's a bit unfair that (just as an example) the artist can't use her power in a certain range next to a hooked survivor (which would only injure the survivor,if hit directly and in close proximity to the summoned birds), but Oni can pop his instadown as soon as he sees the person who came for the rescue and down both of them,given the "unhooker" didn't bring BT.

    Same thing with Dredge, he can't teleport right next to the hook if there's a locker nearby (the locker is then shown as "blocked" by the entity), but nurse with range/recharge add-ons blinking back and forth from the other end of the map to check on the poor soul hanging from the hook doesn't seem to be a problem.

    Personally, I see a consistency here. The new killers (trickster might be the exception to this rule tho, if you ever met a camping trickster,you know what I mean) are being somewhat limited as to how and from how far away they can camp, but the "older" killers don't seem to have any limitations whatsoever.

    This is just an idea, but the mechanic of pyramid-head's cages seems to be really interesting if the devs want to take a closer look at preventing camping in the future. Since the killer doesn't know exactly where the caged survivor will spawn, the survivors would have time to go for the unhook. Hell, since this game is so RNG based, the "hook" could also spawn in the basement if you're lucky as killer. The point is that you don't know that. There could be a timer (like the killer gets to see the hook after 5/15/30 etc. seconds and the general rules of hooking/hooks should be worked on as well), but I think this is something worth considering.

    I am aware that this mechanic has many flaws and might require perks/tiles/generator and hook spawn locations being reworked, it's just a thought that crossed my mind since I have been seeing more and more posts and complaints about camping, especially since the new update was announced and many content-creators voiced their concerns that even though tunneling has been addressed, camping will still be the elephant in the room.

    You touched on a lot of good points.

  • The fix of camping is easy: the bar will only move when killer is x meters away (but faster).

  • @Marik1987 said:

    The fix of camping is easy: the bar will only move when killer is x meters away (but faster).

    Something like that is possibly a great idea, but it does have to account for a few variables like:

    The timer can't start as soon as a Survivor is hooked. Some Killers need time to set traps.

    Survivors can't abuse that mechanic by hanging around a hook and looping a Killer (as happened in an earlier test).

    I think there are solutions to those problems though.

1 2 3 ›