Why am i playing against people with 2000+ hours when i have 300

Come back to dbd after a massive break and im playing against people who have nearly 4x times my time, yes i was sweaty before i left but is there no mmr decay? No wonder people dont come back to this game

Comments

  • Inb4 the absolute geniuses on these forums give you the amazing take that time played actually can’t be used to get an idea of a players skill.

  • No decay yet - they said they are thinking of some kind of decay in the future.

    If there are not enough killers available the MMR stops working.

    It matches you with anybody. Even if your match will be horrible.

  • I wish there was a mmr decay, devs spoke about it ages ago so its likely been forgotten about because let's be real coding the mmr to slowly decrease isnt the hardest thing to do

  • Game is 6 years old, there's going to be many players in the thousands of hours with varing skill levels.

    (For all you know they just came back to the game just like you)

    The SBMM system tracks kills and escapes. Unless you've been doing nothing but losing in your 300 hrs, your MMR score is going to be high enough to match with veteran players.

  • when I first started in 2017 I dodged prestiged players LOL

    then I realized I could learn from them even if I got outplayed constantly.

    Now I hunt for SWFS at night on Bubba.

    Lesson: don't get discouraged, play your hardest and before you know it, youll be same level as them

  • The SBMM is and has always been, complete garbage.

  • @Thr_ust said:

    Inb4 the absolute geniuses on these forums give you the amazing take that time played actually can’t be used to get an idea of a players skill.

    Time played can't be used to get an idea of a player's skill.

  • @Thr_ust said:

    Inb4 the absolute geniuses on these forums give you the amazing take that time played actually can’t be used to get an idea of a players skill.

    There is actually people out there that think just taking time played would be a good way for matchmaking?

    you don’t even know which role they have been playing and how much of the time was spent in the menus/lobby queue

  • as a 2k hours person, hours definitely doesn't say anything about a person ;-;

    I'll be usually first to die anyway, cuz i'm a dumb potato.

    2k hours and can't loop, mindgame, hold flashlight correctly.

    I'm still TERRIFIED of many killers.

    2k hours can be still potato, don't trust numbers

  • They tweaked the matchmaking to shorten queues, it did shorten the queues but at the cost of increasing the skill disparity on matches.

    If you are having a lot of trouble with your matches it may be because there isnt much of the opposite role so if you are Killer and you are getting very tough Survivors maybe there are too many Killers and the system just puts you against wathever it finds.

  • Stop talking about the 2000 hours...

    with the 2000+ hours he clearly meant:

    "very good & experienced players"

    the 300 hours meant :

    "pretty inexperienced compared to the people I go against"


    -M4dBoOmr's Translation Service

  • no decay yet but they talked about adding it to mmr recently.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993541#Comment_2993541

    Well there is nothing wrong with this take. There are plenty of players with high hours but aren't that great. I've seen a lot of players with half my hours that are 100 times more skilled than I.

    Those are exceptions they are not the majority. Generally speaking the more time an average persons invests into something. The more skilled they will become at that thing.

  • @Thr_ust said:

    Inb4 the absolute geniuses on these forums give you the amazing take that time played actually can’t be used to get an idea of a players skill.

    Eh, I have 2500 hours and there are players with 400 who are better than I am. I recently had a teammate with 4700 hours who played as if he had installed the game two weeks ago. He died first to a rather bad Nurse with no perks at 3 gens left or so. Everyone else escaped.

    If someone has 5-15 hours then yeah, it's likely unfair to go against people with 2000 hours. With a couple 100 hours, people can be really good. And if the other side has 2000 hours that doesn't mean they've got 2000 hours experience in that role, or that they can play well.

  • It's because matchmaking doesn't work and it never really has, and it can't work is my theory because at some point when there aren't alot of players on, the que times would kill the game trying to match people equally, they tried a system before that I felt was the most accurate it was a new algorithm they did for matchmaking for a short period of time but they had to turn it off because you would wait like 30 mins for a match at rank one only to have the killer lobby dodge and send you back to the main menu because the killer was the host back then no servers, but at the same time with anything BHVR has ever done , when players match up with low ranked friends it always has thrown matchmaking off and there's nothing they can really do about it even now

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993541#Comment_2993541

    Well there is nothing wrong with this take. There are plenty of players with high hours but aren't that great. I've seen a lot of players with half my hours that are 100 times more skilled than I.

    Exceptions don't make the rule. Generally speaking, the higher hour player will be better.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993541#Comment_2993541

    There is actually people out there that think just taking time played would be a good way for matchmaking?

    you don’t even know which role they have been playing and how much of the time was spent in the menus/lobby queue

    I don’t think they should make time based matchmaking. I’m just saying that in general, if you invest more time into something you’ll be better at it than someone who didn’t invest as much.

  • "If you have the most hours in the lobby, you're in the wrong lobby" -Sun Tzu

  • @Thr_ust said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993659#Comment_2993659

    Those are exceptions they are not the majority. Generally speaking the more time an average persons invests into something. The more skilled they will become at that thing.

    While that is true, you can't compare one person's 500 hour investment into a game to someone else's 500 hour investment into a game.

    Also my PS5 account has 2500 hours, my Steam account has 250 hours. But my skill (or lack of) is the same on both platforms.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993662#Comment_2993662

    "Those are exceptions they are not the majority."

    I can't say. I don't have the data for that.

    Yes, spending more time on something does usually help but there gets to a point where some people just won't advance any further no matter how much time they put in. Then there's people who pick up a skill easier than others. There are a lot of variables. So yes, if someone is at 50 hours vs someone at 500, I'd expect to the 500 hours player to be more skilled. But when a player starts getting into the hundred hours plus zone I'm not going to assume they are worse than someone with a few extra hundred hours on that.

    You don’t need data and statistics to know the basics of how people work. Yes there will be naturally gifted and naturally bad players, that’s why there are exceptions. But the standard person who is neither above or below average will get better with time. And I can admit probably past 5-600 hours it stops being as impactful. But The difference will still be there.

  • @JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993662#Comment_2993662

    While that is true, you can't compare one person's 500 hour investment into a game to someone else's 500 hour investment into a game.

    Also my PS5 account has 2500 hours, my Steam account has 250 hours. But my skill (or lack of) is the same on both platforms.

    That is true. Which is why I mentioned in another comment that I do not think time based matchmaking would be a good idea. Because there will be variety in players with hours very similar to each other. But the bigger that number gap becomes, the less variety you have, and the more you just have a complete difference in skill.

  • @rha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993541#Comment_2993541

    Eh, I have 2500 hours and there are players with 400 who are better than I am. I recently had a teammate with 4700 hours who played as if he had installed the game two weeks ago. He died first to a rather bad Nurse with no perks at 3 gens left or so. Everyone else escaped.

    If someone has 5-15 hours then yeah, it's likely unfair to go against people with 2000 hours. With a couple 100 hours, people can be really good. And if the other side has 2000 hours that doesn't mean they've got 2000 hours experience in that role, or that they can play well.

    Again like I said those are exceptions. Not the majority, will there be people with less hours than you that are better? Definitely. Will there be people with 5k hours that don’t know how to loop? For sure, but we can’t look at these things on an individual level and point out every minute exception as if that is a valid argument. Exceptions will always exist to anything, but like I said. Speaking in general terms time investment means an increase in skill.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993682#Comment_2993682

    I absolutely disagree the claim you don't need data and statistics because "That's how people work". Anyway this will start getting into off topic territory.

    My original point to you was that's it's not necessarily a bad take to mention that high hours doesn't always translate to high skill. Exception to the rule or not.

    And I can understand that and to some level agree. My point is we shouldn’t see that as the standard, because more often than not that won’t be the case.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993671#Comment_2993671

    As I wrote to the other person, I don't have data on that to know. Common or not it doesn't make it a bad take to point this out as person I responded to claims.

    If something that's said isn't true, it's a bad take.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993694#Comment_2993694

    I just edited my post above. I should have read a bit better. I agree that anyone saying you can't look at hours at all to judge skill would be a bad take. Anyway I've dragged to on for way too long.

    Peace out!

    All good, I’d be a hypocrite if I blamed people for not reading enough of a comment before replying to it. Happens to the best of us.

  • @AkuDake said:

    Come back to dbd after a massive break and im playing against people who have nearly 4x times my time, yes i was sweaty before i left but is there no mmr decay? No wonder people dont come back to this game

    yes i was sweaty before i left

    You answered your own question

  • You can't look at hours at all to judge skill when comparing different players. You can compare yourself with 2000 hours to yourself with 500 hours but not to another player. How good was Ayrun or Fungoose with only 500 hours for example? Probably way better than I would be with 10000 hours.

  • A 6-year-old game will have many veterans, and the matchmaking can only pick from available players. Veterans make mistakes and bad decisions just like anyone else and you can learn new things from playing against someone with more game knowledge.

    It is a mind game; if you go into a match with a defeatist attitude, you create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

  • BHVR won't make a 10k hour SWF wait a long time for a god Nurse or Blight, so they get matched with any ol' killer who happens to be the unfortunate one in queue

  • Not even mmr decay would fix it that much considering they lowered the soft cap for mmr (idk why there's even a soft cap to begin with but bhvr things).

  • @Wampirita said:

    as a 2k hours person, hours definitely doesn't say anything about a person ;-;

    I'll be usually first to die anyway, cuz i'm a dumb potato.

    2k hours and can't loop, mindgame, hold flashlight correctly.

    I'm still TERRIFIED of many killers.

    2k hours can be still potato, don't trust numbers

    But it sounds like you have so much fun at least. That sounds like my first few days where DBD still had that atmosphere.

  • @foxsansbox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2993632#Comment_2993632

    But it sounds like you have so much fun at least. That sounds like my first few days where DBD still had that atmosphere.

    really depends. As solo Q survivor I just wonder sometimes why i still play this game... And then there's playing killer that makes you feel miserable as soon as you Q up.

    This game is only fun in swfs sadly