What happened with Spirit?

Did her nerf make her so weak? It's been months since I've played against a really good Spirit, now I rarely play against, and when I play she has a default skin and perks and gets lost during phasing.

One year ago I faced at least 2/3 per day, seeing that they were players with full meta builds, skins and that they didn't miss phase (even without stridor and me with iron will).

For me this is curious, as I only noticed this change with this killer

Comments

  • People realised that you had to have an ounce of skill as her when Ruin/Undying/Pop/Tinkerer Crow/Ring Blight was right there so they all migrated to continue thinking they're good at the game while the people that were actually good as Spirit in the first place stayed.

    Notice how this is a consistent pattern, too. First we had Nurse, with her 4 blink no downside combo. She was hit, and they dropped like flies (and now she's finally had the bugs fixed, people still aren't playing her as much as they used to because she still takes effort now). Spirit was next, she got hit (not even hard) but everyone still cried nerf and moved to Freddy, who was substantially easier and only minorly weaker. He was hit next so, realising that Spirit still took no brain power when playing with the strongest things, they all went back to her, culminating in the IW change to Stridor and finally the overall Spirit nerf, meaning they all moved to Blight now. I'm sure if he ever gets hit, though, they'll realise that DCB/MDR exists as a combo and once more we'll be seeing the Rise Of The "Spirit Mains".

  • Well, to be honest there's pretty much 2 camps of killer players. The first camp are those that have fallen in love with a very small number of Killers and play them the most regardless of how good or strong they are but occasionally play games as others. Then there's the players who chase the flavor of the month "Strongest" killer in the game and pretty much won't play anyone else because they want to win.

    While I don't think the Spirit nerfs were all that unfair to her, she used to have most if not all of that 2nd camp playing her. They've all moved to Blight now.

    If you're curious, I definitely fit in the first camp. Spirit isn't really one of my mains but she did become one of my branch out Killers after her nerfs.

  • All the skilled players that mained her switched to Blight or Nurse. Since survivors with headphones know exactly where she is. Which is a downside in comparison to the IW meta.

  • The Iron Will buff really hurt her. Add to it the directional phase sound and survivors have some major advantages over her.

    They really need to undo the Iron Will buff because now it has exactly 0 counters.

  • She’s still an amazing and fun killer but everyone neglected her because of one nerf that barely impacted anything 😭😭😭

  • @GannTM said:

    She’s still an amazing and fun killer but everyone neglected her because of one nerf that barely impacted anything 😭😭😭

    "Barely impacted anything" is not entirely correct. She stopped being easy to play, but she is still one of the strongest Killers.


    @Topic:

    As @GoodBoyKaru mentioned it, this often happens if a Killer gets Nerfs. When Spirit first got nerfed (mainly her Add Ons and removal of Collision), you did not see any Spirits for a few weeks until people realized that she is still good.

    I would guess that she will have a return at some point, because she is still a strong Killer, but now you have to actually outplay the Survivor. That being said, I have run into a Spirit lately who tried the Stand still-mindgame, I think someone did not get the Memo...

  • The nerf was supposed to be to stop the stand still mindgame (a fully intended part of her kit) but they decided to let survivors know where she is at all times instead. You can just mindgame with that info anyway, but it's still part of the same blockheaded strategy of giving survivors all the information and power.

  • @Exxodus21 said:

    The Iron Will buff really hurt her. Add to it the directional phase sound and survivors have some major advantages over her.

    They really need to undo the Iron Will buff because now it has exactly 0 counters.

    Barely impacted me because I used Stridor in like 3 Spirit games since I started playing her.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857659#Comment_2857659

    "Barely impacted anything" is not entirely correct. She stopped being easy to play, but she is still one of the strongest Killers.

    @Topic:

    As @GoodBoyKaru mentioned it, this often happens if a Killer gets Nerfs. When Spirit first got nerfed (mainly her Add Ons and removal of Collision), you did not see any Spirits for a few weeks until people realized that she is still good.

    I would guess that she will have a return at some point, because she is still a strong Killer, but now you have to actually outplay the Survivor. That being said, I have run into a Spirit lately who tried the Stand still-mindgame, I think someone did not get the Memo...

    I mean true but she's still very fun yet people don't want to realize it.

  • she was replaced with sadako

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    People realised that you had to have an ounce of skill as her when Ruin/Undying/Pop/Tinkerer Crow/Ring Blight was right there so they all migrated to continue thinking they're good at the game while the people that were actually good as Spirit in the first place stayed.

    Notice how this is a consistent pattern, too. First we had Nurse, with her 4 blink no downside combo. She was hit, and they dropped like flies (and now she's finally had the bugs fixed, people still aren't playing her as much as they used to because she still takes effort now). Spirit was next, she got hit (not even hard) but everyone still cried nerf and moved to Freddy, who was substantially easier and only minorly weaker. He was hit next so, realising that Spirit still took no brain power when playing with the strongest things, they all went back to her, culminating in the IW change to Stridor and finally the overall Spirit nerf, meaning they all moved to Blight now. I'm sure if he ever gets hit, though, they'll realise that DCB/MDR exists as a combo and once more we'll be seeing the Rise Of The "Spirit Mains".

    I think we should try to not mention the strength of MDR + DCB so more people don't use it.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    People realised that you had to have an ounce of skill as her when Ruin/Undying/Pop/Tinkerer Crow/Ring Blight was right there so they all migrated to continue thinking they're good at the game while the people that were actually good as Spirit in the first place stayed.

    Notice how this is a consistent pattern, too. First we had Nurse, with her 4 blink no downside combo. She was hit, and they dropped like flies (and now she's finally had the bugs fixed, people still aren't playing her as much as they used to because she still takes effort now). Spirit was next, she got hit (not even hard) but everyone still cried nerf and moved to Freddy, who was substantially easier and only minorly weaker. He was hit next so, realising that Spirit still took no brain power when playing with the strongest things, they all went back to her, culminating in the IW change to Stridor and finally the overall Spirit nerf, meaning they all moved to Blight now. I'm sure if he ever gets hit, though, they'll realise that DCB/MDR exists as a combo and once more we'll be seeing the Rise Of The "Spirit Mains".

    as a combo? i thought these 2 were the only addons that spirit has Kappa

  • If I played a balanced killer and they got nerfed, I'd quit them too.

  • Reverse the Spirit nerf, save the game

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857658#Comment_2857658

    Barely impacted me because I used Stridor in like 3 Spirit games since I started playing her.

    Ok 🏅

  • it's because spirit takes skill now and no one is playing with her right now

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    If I played a balanced killer and they got nerfed, I'd quit them too.

    Proves most of you people never played her for her fun but rather her strength.

  • @adam1233467 said:

    it's because spirit takes skill now and no one is playing with her right now

    I’m a no one?

  • Im guessing that the nerfs to her affected how people play her, Spirit was an easy to pick up killer from what I can tell, and all the changes to her and other perks such as Stridor that Spirits used really made people not want to play her anymore Im guessing.

    Then again there are people (such as me) who play Legion with Circle of Healing being meta, so I dont think killer strength or how easy they are to play matters, I think it's just a matter of what is fun to play or not. I mean, look at Deathslinger, he got nerfed so hard that most people dont enjoy playing him anymore, not because he was easy but because they removed the aspects that made Deathslinger fun to most people, who is to say the same didnt happen to Spirit? Dont get me wrong, people still enjoy Spirit, just as people still enjoy Deathslinger, but all it takes is a few minor changes and the fun factor that people like can be removed.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857667#Comment_2857667

    I mean true but she's still very fun yet people don't want to realize it.

    I mean, fun is subjective, but I would agree that she is one of the more interesting Killers to play and for me she was more fun to play after the Nerf, because it actually felt rewarding to outplay a Survivor.

    And as I said, I am pretty sure that at some point we will see more Spirits, because she is still good. But not "I stand still and get free Hits"-good anymore.

  • @adam1233467 said:

    it's because spirit takes skill now and no one is playing with her right now

    It has NOTHING to do with skill. I prestiged Spirit a while ago and tbh I am not even really playing her anymore. I played her with Amulet and Cap mainly to t used to her, never used MDR+DCM. She is decent against noobs or ppl with bad headphones but she gets absolutely neutered by good survivors and perks like Iron will and Shadow Step. The directional phasing sound makes it impossible to mindgame people and if they run IW, you better forget about using her power during a chase all together. Survivors don't only stop moaning but they will also completely stop breathing so if they stop running while phasing and just slow walk/crouch, it's a 100% loss for the Spirit cause there is no way to know where they went.

    Btw I talk about basekit Spirit. She gets incredible strong with certain addons but tbh I moved from my main (Doc) to play a killer I can do well with without being super reliant on addons because I don't wanna spend hundreds of BP's just to be able to do decent on a certain killer.

    I started playing Blight more and tbh while I am not perfect on him, his basekit is what every killers basekit should look like. I can play him without addons and do just fine. Addons should enhance a killer ability and not be necessarily to do well on a killer at all against decent survivors.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857678#Comment_2857678

    I mean, fun is subjective, but I would agree that she is one of the more interesting Killers to play and for me she was more fun to play after the Nerf, because it actually felt rewarding to outplay a Survivor.

    And as I said, I am pretty sure that at some point we will see more Spirits, because she is still good. But not "I stand still and get free Hits"-good anymore.

    I really hope I see her more.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857690#Comment_2857690

    Proves most of you people never played her for her fun but rather her strength.

    At a certain point, there's no fun in playing a killer if they're not strong. Having to de-rank/de-MMR just to deviate slightly off the meta puts you in that mindset.

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857734#Comment_2857734

    At a certain point, there's no fun in playing a killer if they're not strong. Having to de-rank/de-MMR just to deviate slightly off the meta puts you in that mindset.

    Strength != fun. Spirit is fun, strong or not, yet you’re only worried about winning every single game.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    People realised that you had to have an ounce of skill as her when Ruin/Undying/Pop/Tinkerer Crow/Ring Blight was right there so they all migrated to continue thinking they're good at the game while the people that were actually good as Spirit in the first place stayed.

    Notice how this is a consistent pattern, too. First we had Nurse, with her 4 blink no downside combo. She was hit, and they dropped like flies (and now she's finally had the bugs fixed, people still aren't playing her as much as they used to because she still takes effort now). Spirit was next, she got hit (not even hard) but everyone still cried nerf and moved to Freddy, who was substantially easier and only minorly weaker. He was hit next so, realising that Spirit still took no brain power when playing with the strongest things, they all went back to her, culminating in the IW change to Stridor and finally the overall Spirit nerf, meaning they all moved to Blight now. I'm sure if he ever gets hit, though, they'll realise that DCB/MDR exists as a combo and once more we'll be seeing the Rise Of The "Spirit Mains".

    If only i could like a comment more than once

  • I personally just don't find her fun enough to play on a regular basis. Not even before the nerf. She's fine on occasion to spice things up, but I have my preferences. I do think she's still a strong killer as well, but just more add-on dependant than before. Oh and there's the added depth of needing to play around the survivors being able to hear where you are. I don't mind it personally, but you can probably see why others do after you didn't have to in the first place.

  • Spirit is not rare killer for me. I am seeing her more than half of killers. EU servers.

  • Usually any nerfs mean you barely see a killer for months after that. Happened the first time spirit was nerfed, first time Freddy was nerfed, when billy was nerfed (he never came back, rip) when pyramid head was nerfed, deathslinger, nurse, Freddy again, spirit again.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2857903#Comment_2857903

    Strength != fun. Spirit is fun, strong or not, yet you’re only worried about winning every single game.

    It's not winning every game. It's winning some games. There's still many games where you never had a chance of winning, because the gens went faster than you could kill.