Camping the Hatch
Killers - do you ever do this?
Survs - has this been done to you? Did you go for it? Did you work on a generator instead? Did you do nothing?
Killers - do you ever do this?
Survs - has this been done to you? Did you go for it? Did you work on a generator instead? Did you do nothing?
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
I'm not sure what the point would be- the hatch only spawns when one guy's left now, so if you camp it even without closing it they can just go do generators, and if you do close it they'd need a key to open it - and can just go open exit gates.
I have had a killer do this to me exactly once (Note: I started playing in Feb 2020 so the time of The Hatch Standoff I hear so much about was something I never experienced). It was a Bubba and I had two gens left to do but alas, he found the Hatch first. Then...he decided to just sit on it.
I did one gen and still he camped. So I found the gen in the middle of the map out of range of the hatch but had the strongest loop spot (the one with the tree in the middle, a pallet on one end of the long I and a window on the other end). I finished the gen, which finally got him to come after me but for reasons I still don't really get, he didn't close the hatch still. Once he committed to come after me, I lithe'd through the window, bolted right to the hatch and yeeted myself out.
No idea what that killer was thinking but who am I to judge their strategy?
For example, I'm currently standing on a hatch, effectively blocking it for the last survivor. I refuse to close it because I don't want to risk him getting out the gate. I don't want to go look for him because I'm afraid he might find the hatch.
He, on the other hand, has done nothing. This has been going on for maybe 10 minutes and no notifications whatsoever.
Update: he finally just walked up to me and let me kill him.
Has anyone else ever experienced this from either side? Am I a bad person?
I've done it a couple times while playing Nemesis if the doors are too far apart. I wait until I either see the survivor or one of my zombies gives away their position, then I close the hatch and go for them.
I'll camp the hatch if the final survivor is slugged and I can't find them. I don't feel like dealing with Adrenaline, so I just wait. One time I was Mikey in tier 1, so the slug heard the hatch behind a wall but had no idea I was near it. They crawled right to me and I got to hook them.
I saw a Trickster do it once when I played survivor. I could've gone and done gens, but there were too many left, and I just wanted the match to end.
I was victim to it a few times. They were all Wraith just standing there on hatch waiting for me to come to them. Last Wraith that did this I just sat at the gate switch. I don't remember how many gens were left or if I even escaped.
I mean, if the roles were reversed, I'd hate to give away my position but if they weren't moving from the hatch then yeah, I'm going to go do some gens.
But like... there is nothing stopping that Survivor to finish gens..
Maybe he was a wholesome Bubba and wanted to give you free object points :) Or he wanted to give you an opportunity to get the Left 4 Dead achievment. Awwww, what a nice guy.
It's certainly not impossible he was being altruistic but he had a funny way of showing it when he tried to hit me with his chainsaw.
Although hitting things with his chainsaw is how Bubba shows all of his emotions so...
I don't have anything to add to that. You speak the truth with every single word you utter.
The only bad part I can find about it from a killers perspective is neglecting to close it when you spot the last surv and instead going for a hit. It is a stupid move, and one I've made on different occasions.
Exactly. But they don't want to give away their position so it turns into a stalemate.
Back when I used to run Whispers very occasionally I would do it just until it lit up so it's easier to find the last person.
But like...
if the killer is standing on the hatch several meters away, theres literally no danger
If the killer starts coming towards you, book it for the hatch
If the killer closes the hatch, youre in a situation you were gonna end up in anyway which is solo EGC, its inevitable.
If they stay on the hatch, finish the remaining gens until you can power the gates and youre at scenario 2
This strat doesnt work if the Survivor has a some what functioning brain
Yeah. But I started this thread because of that exact situation. I even looked up their username to see if I could message them and tell them to just do a gen.
I mean at that point I would just close the hatch and patrol the doors
The strat is the killer closes the hatch when a gen completes because now the survivor has compromised his position. The standoff is more killer sided than the traditional immerse till hatch closes and stealth a gate.
This should only be done when the gates are unfavorable to the killer or if the hatch is across the map from both gates and the killer knows they need time.
No but much like gate camping for bms I've seen survivors do it.
They were too far apart. I am both patient and stubborn.
I do it as killer sometimes to force the survivor to give me their item or boop me for entry. If they don't approach for too long a period of time, I'll assume they know where I am and they're too afraid to approach, so I close it.
I'll also sit on the hatch to encourage the survivor to do the last gen and get Left For Dead, because screw that achievement.
For survivor, nah, I'm out of there.
Under certain situations but mainly when I don't have no way out which is rare nowadays.
I never have camped the hatch as killer. Even if the doors aren't favorable, I'm not going to sweat it too much -- I'd rather move the game to its conclusion rather than get into a stalemate over a final kill.
As survivor, I've had a Wraith do it to me. I went to a door, suspecting that the Wraith was standing on the hatch, cloaked, for me to show. After nothing happened for a while, I eventually went to a gen and started working on it -- hatch was closed the minute I popped the gen, lol.
Survivors who wait on hatch until the killer shows up solely to BM them are the worst. I spectated a match I'd died in as a solo -- the Feng, after we were all dead, found the hatch using Left Behind. Rather than run and jump out for the escape, they detoured over to a pallet to slam it, so they could let the killer watch them jump in (I'm guessing). Problem for them was that it was an Oni who had their power -- the killer rushed to hatch and slammed it in their face before downing them -- I laughed so hard, I dropped my controller. Instant Karma is a beautiful thing. 🤣