To console players

Turn off crossplay or avoid playing dbd in general.

Having your console bricked in hopes of finding a match quicker is NOT worth it. I know some hackers are trying to do this to protest against the NFT situation but this is the wrong way. I'm against it too. But destroying another player's private property who had nothing to do with this isn't smart.

So I repeat, to console players of any variety, please turn off Crossplay to save your console from getting bricked.

Edit: This is just a warning, if you wish to not believe this than you're certainly free to do so. But, I mainly said this to protect people who own the PS5, the reason why is because it's extremely hard to get another one of these. So far there has been no reports of Xbox or PCs. I'm still searching around to see if this is legitimate, but I wanted to make this post anyway to be safe for everyone on consoles.

Comments

  • @Salty_Huntress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585030#Comment_2585030

    Ps5 can match with PS4 players with cross play off but matchmaking will take a long time

    It doesnt happen on Xbox, DBD treats One and Series as Different platforms (They have the world icon) and queue times are infinite, I can't play without CrossPlay as Series X user.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    I tried to do a quick search and couldn't find anything on the matter.

    The closest thing I found anywhere was this post:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/289382/hacker-destroys-my-ps5-thanks-bhvr

    however, unluckily even in this post there's a lack of evidence / troubleshooting, so even giving the benefit of the doubt one can't really know what happened and if the console is in fact bricked (assuming it doesn't even turn on, it's probably not even bricked, but broken, which would be even worse...).

    Since OP is allegedly reporting statements from hackers, can we have some more info?

    My PS4 can't start anymore and my friend's PS5 can't start anymore either. I'm basically giving up because I tried to fix it myself like unplugging the AC power cord and wait a few minutes. Nothing works. I can't play for hours and I'm crying right now.

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585189#Comment_2585189

    It's not impossible in the sense that it can't be done but it seems highly unlikely to me. I could see that kind of thing crashing your game as the game gets overloaded but to do something like that to fry the CPU on the console would take at least a little bit of time as everything overheats.

    Right now we have one thread that was completely and utterly derailed by moronic console v PC fanboys and...that's all the proof we have that this is happening.

    If console players want to be overly cautious about this and kill crossplay for the time being, I can't really fault or criticize them for that decision. This just seems like a ton of fear mongering with no actual proof or information aside from the one person claiming their PS4 was toasted by a hacker on PC.

    I can't be bothered to respond to people in my post. They're just trolling at this point just to piss me off even further.

  • I want to play with crossplay off but I don't want to wait forever. I was successful on the PS4 but not on PS5.

  • Can somebody tell me exactly where this so called eco terrorist stuff comes from? Source please.


    Also. CONSOLE ONLY CROSSPLAY BHVR. been saying it forever!!!

  • Is it just consoles getting bricked?? Have there been any reports of it happening to PC??

  • @EndlessTorment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585239#Comment_2585239

    My PS4 can't start anymore and my friend's PS5 can't start anymore either. I'm basically giving up because I tried to fix it myself like unplugging the AC power cord and wait a few minutes. Nothing works. I can't play for hours and I'm crying right now.

    Were you and your friend in the same game when this happened?

  • I pray to god nobody takes this thread seriously anyone with a decent understanding of computers and coding knows that yes you can overload a server or a network with sending to many packets or too little packets that's how people ddos you but as soon as you turn the console or system off it stops receiving information it is impossible to brick a pc or a console cause as soon as you unplug it it is no longer receiving or writing data so there is no way you could ever stop something from turning on


    please read and research ddos and denial of service attacks and you will understand why it's impossible

  • Okay this isn't even funny.

    How, when something goes bad with this game, does something WAY WORSE THAT ISN'T EVEN THINKABLE OF happen.

    I don't get it.

    How.

    Anybody on ps4 rn wanna queue up to verse a console trickster, would be greatly appreciated.

    (also yea as @GrayEyes said it's most likely not bricking a console, but a DDos attack. However there still is a possibility of other things happening, such as forcing a ps4 to overheat)

  • @ASurvkillivorer

    "CONSOLE ONLY CROSSPLAY BHVR. been saying it forever!!!"

    I dont think you realize how that will enormously diminish your potential pool of matches.

    @GrayEyes said:

    I pray to god nobody takes this thread seriously anyone with a decent understanding of computers and coding knows that yes you can overload a server or a network with sending to many packets or too little packets that's how people ddos you but as soon as you turn the console or system off it stops receiving information it is impossible to brick a pc or a console cause as soon as you unplug it it is no longer receiving or writing data so there is no way you could ever stop something from turning on

    please read and research ddos and denial of service attacks and you will understand why it's impossible

    It seems they dont have any idea, and no interesting in learning either. Instead they are feeding each other disinformation, and generating hysteria.

  • @GrayEyes said:

    I pray to god nobody takes this thread seriously anyone with a decent understanding of computers and coding knows that yes you can overload a server or a network with sending to many packets or too little packets that's how people ddos you but as soon as you turn the console or system off it stops receiving information it is impossible to brick a pc or a console cause as soon as you unplug it it is no longer receiving or writing data so there is no way you could ever stop something from turning on

    please read and research ddos and denial of service attacks and you will understand why it's impossible

    DDOS is completely different than something like this.

    If they could hack the game to change things in game like we all know they can. A hacker can insta heal a random survivor they can do all sorts of things. It doesn't seem completely impossible that they could also hack the game in a way that would interact with the persons console in a very negative way. Do I know anything about it? NO. But does that sound IMPOSSIBLE? Also no.

  • @Rhoska said:

    @ASurvkillivorer

    "CONSOLE ONLY CROSSPLAY BHVR. been saying it forever!!!"

    I dont think you realize how that will enormously diminish your potential pool of matches.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585521#Comment_2585521

    It seems they dont have any idea, and no interesting in learning either. Instead they are feeding each other disinformation, and generating hysteria.

    So what? The majority of Xbox, PSN, Switch would all opt not to play with PC and it would be fine. No more hackers in-game which is already like a RAMPANT insane fest going on right now. All of a sudden they're 10x more common to see. But for bricking hardware to even enter the question? nah, eff that.

  • @ASurvkillivorer

    1) "Do I know anything about it? NO. But does that sound IMPOSSIBLE? Also no."

    As you know nothing about it, you are not capable of assessing whether it is possible or not.

    2) "The majority of Xbox, PSN, Switch would all opt not to play with PC and it would be fine."

    It would be nowhere near the majority of those consoles, and the majority of this game, afaik, is PC players.

    My estimation is you would be left with perhaps 10% of the player pool at any given time, and that would soon diminish further as players realize they cant get match, and MMR would run absolute havoc as it would not be able to match you with players of similar "skill" from that small pool.

    3) "No more hackers in-game which is already like a RAMPANT insane fest going on right now. All of a sudden they're 10x more common to see."

    Hyperbole does not help. There is no "RAMPANT insane fest". Even in games that have the worst cheating by hacking imaginable, they are less than 1% of the total player pool.

    4) "But for bricking hardware to even enter the question? nah, eff that."

    It hasnt entered the question at all. And if you read 1) again, you will recognize that you have no cause or proof to even consider that.

  • @ASurvkillivorer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585521#Comment_2585521

    DDOS is completely different than something like this.

    If they could hack the game to change things in game like we all know they can. A hacker can insta heal a random survivor they can do all sorts of things. It doesn't seem completely impossible that they could also hack the game in a way that would interact with the persons console in a very negative way. Do I know anything about it? NO. But does that sound IMPOSSIBLE? Also no.

    ddos is the only way they could ever damage a console that's why I brought it up everything else is modifying files on their server which affects your console in no way only the images it displays not its functionality that's why I mention ddos and denial of service cause those 2 are the only way to damage physical hardware and in order to do that hed need a server the size that comcast has and servers cant play games they can only ping ip address and connect to other machines

  • I am not buying this so far. I already risked the loud fans and I will take this risk also.

    If my console dies it is on me. I won't blame anyone else since I got the warning.

  • @Shaped said:

    I am not buying this so far. I already risked the loud fans and I will take this risk also.

    If my console dies it is on me. I won't blame anyone else since I got the warning.

    You might say that, but what if it actually happens though?

  • Idk all this just seems weird you’d think op would be putting up proof such as showing his console is truly bricked but nothing besides words. I’ve never heard of hackers even doing that before.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585570#Comment_2585570

    You might say that, but what if it actually happens though?

    Then it is my fault obviously. I ignored the warnings.

  • @Salty_Huntress said:

    Idk all this just seems weird you’d think op would be putting up proof such as showing his console is truly bricked but nothing besides words. I’ve never heard of hackers even doing that before.

    I never once said this happen to me. This is a WARNING. Grant it, these are rumors, but what's better?

    Risking it and having all this actually be true?

    Or

    Being safe until we can hear some official information about this?

    None of this is me trying to spread misinformation or anything malicious, I'm just saying that in case this is real it'd be better to be safe.

  • @EndlessTorment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585239#Comment_2585239

    My PS4 can't start anymore and my friend's PS5 can't start anymore either. I'm basically giving up because I tried to fix it myself like unplugging the AC power cord and wait a few minutes. Nothing works. I can't play for hours and I'm crying right now.

    when you say it doesn't turn on you mean that it doesn't make any sound, like if the power was off? otherwise, did you try to start the console in recovery mode?

  • @ASurvkillivorer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585521#Comment_2585521

    DDOS is completely different than something like this.

    If they could hack the game to change things in game like we all know they can. A hacker can insta heal a random survivor they can do all sorts of things. It doesn't seem completely impossible that they could also hack the game in a way that would interact with the persons console in a very negative way. Do I know anything about it? NO. But does that sound IMPOSSIBLE? Also no.

    They couldn't brick it, to put it simply that would mess around with the PS itself which you bet sony has on lockdown.

    They could, however, abuse faults in the games optimisation + how this game is ran on consoles.

    Hypothetically, due to sloppy butcher causing frame lag on last gen consoles, if a hacker made a program to apply the sloppy butcher effect 100 times over every second then the game would certainly crash, and if not crash then go to 0 fps while the program is active. It's probably even possible to overheat old/uncleaned PS4s with the right stuff.

    In fact, sloppy butcher might not work, but I'll bet a lot that there is something that can be exploited to cause the game to crash.

  • @DwarvenTavern said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585578#Comment_2585578

    I never once said this happen to me. This is a WARNING. Grant it, these are rumors, but what's better?

    Risking it and having all this actually be true?

    Or

    Being safe until we can hear some official information about this?

    None of this is me trying to spread misinformation or anything malicious, I'm just saying that in case this is real it'd be better to be safe.

    I used the wrong terminology I meant to say the op from the other post who said his PS4 and his friends ps5 was bricked.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    BHVR should've added a console-only crossplay option by now. We've been asking for it since crossplay was first announced, and the prevalence of hackers has only made it more necessary, but they've completely ignored both issues.

    Kinda proves that everyone who has ever said that bhvr doesn't care about their playerbase is right.

  • @Salty_Huntress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585585#Comment_2585585

    I used the wrong terminology I meant to say the op from the other post who said his PS4 and his friends ps5 was bricked.

    Ah fair enough. I'm currently researching this a bit more. But I made this post anyway to try to warn people so that they may protect themselves.

    But, it's certainly not impossible for people to do this unfortunately, I don't know the specifics or anything in depth about it. But, I did have different console be bricked from Fallout 76 when I did encounter a hacker.

    Whether that's the game or the hacker is more up to debate, either way I made this post to protect console users.

    In addition, trying to prove a broken ps4 is kinda... pointless? Imagine they did have a bricked ps4/5 who's to say that they didn't break it themselves or it was actually from dbd?

  • @Rhoska said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585577#Comment_2585577

    What if pigs fly?

    Or what if some people only say they can (because they are misinformed), but they actually cant.

    I dont understand your logic.

    you know exactly what I mean.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585610#Comment_2585610

    There was one guy who said his ps5 was bricked by a hacker yesterday right?

    Is that the friend ps4 guy is talking about?

    The problem is that this forum is overly negative with everything and tend to blow everything out of proportion (yes that includes me too sometimes). And some people even lie like the ones who rage quit all the time then blame it on errors or something else because they stacked up long penalties.

    While there are a lot of things wrong with the game and the community that make me go on breaks, I am not buying everything people say for the reasons mentioned.

    Still, like I said, I take full responsibility for my actions like everyone else should. Make your own decisions.

    This is the most fair response there is.

    Instead of being ignorant and rude about the situation it would be best to follow this type of mentality. I know it seems hypocritical, but I had a bricked console in the past and it sucked.

    So, I figured I'd make this post to at least warn people and if they don't want to believe it, than that's fine. I don't blame them for being skeptical. I just wanted to at least warn/acknowledge this rumor.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585365#Comment_2585365

    How sure are you of this? I play on series x with a friend who's got an OG Xbox one with crossplay off. And I know he's got crossplay off because the game tells me we are not playing with it, right in the lower right hand corner. Yet we can still swf together

    I really don't know right now, Two Months ago I sent a ticket to DBD support Complaining about this issue with Xbox consoles, seems that It happens on PS4-5, they even have two DBD profiles when you check them to see how many hours did they spent on DBD, One for PS4 and another for PS5.

    I Will check It tomorrow at home to see if this issue is fixed on Xbox.

    Have you tried to search for a Game without CrossPlay? How long is your queue?

  • I love how I just explained from years of coding different projects how ik for a fact someone can not brick your console from across the internet and yet here we are still debating it

    yep my years of coding experience mean nothing and everyone should totally believe that guy with zero proof even though I've actually worked on functoning code

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Okay this isn't even funny.

    How, when something goes bad with this game, does something WAY WORSE THAT ISN'T EVEN THINKABLE OF happen.

    I don't get it.

    How.

    Anybody on ps4 rn wanna queue up to verse a console trickster, would be greatly appreciated.

    (also yea as @GrayEyes said it's most likely not bricking a console, but a DDos attack. However there still is a possibility of other things happening, such as forcing a ps4 to overheat)

    If it was overheating the disc would eject itself and he would feel it

  • Don't know what bricked means but considering that your mentioning cheaters and NFT, I'm guessing it's a bad thing. I mean I play on the Switch so I don't really know if I can be effected. Also IIRC turning off crossplay doesn't help against cheaters. I don't remember who said it but someone on the forum said that you can still get cheaters with crossplay off. I think Pulsar said it but if he didn't I'm terribly sorry for the misinformation.

  • @RenRen said:

    Don't know what bricked means but considering that your mentioning cheaters and NFT, I'm guessing it's a bad thing. I mean I play on the Switch so I don't really know if I can be effected. Also IIRC turning off crossplay doesn't help against cheaters. I don't remember who said it but someone on the forum said that you can still get cheaters with crossplay off. I think Pulsar said it but if he didn't I'm terribly sorry for the misinformation.

    Bricking is essentially have the motherboard or another form of important electronic destroyed

  • @DwarvenTavern said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585858#Comment_2585858

    Bricking is essentially have the motherboard or another form of important electronic destroyed

    That sounds Illegal.

  • It should be because it's a really ######### up thing to do

  • This is the first I've heard of this and literally no where else is talking about it. I'm scared to play dbd now and I need to know exactly what on earth is happening?

  • @dbd900bach said:

    This is the first I've heard of this and literally no where else is talking about it. I'm scared to play dbd now and I need to know exactly what on earth is happening?

    nothing is happening there's a bunch of liars on the internet surprise surprise

  • @dbd900bach said:

    This is the first I've heard of this and literally no where else is talking about it. I'm scared to play dbd now and I need to know exactly what on earth is happening?

    don't worry, it's a specific edge case one might call it. You most likely wont be affected

  • @GrayEyes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585893#Comment_2585893

    nothing is happening there's a bunch of liars on the internet surprise surprise

    No offense exactly but that doesnt quite calm my nerves yet. There has been in a surge of hackers in dbd so who's to say what's real. I can't quite take a chance on most likely won't be affected if you understand

  • @dbd900bach said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585895#Comment_2585895

    No offense exactly but that doesnt quite calm my nerves yet. There has been in a surge of hackers in dbd so who's to say what's real. I can't quite take a chance on most likely won't be affected if you understand

    ok, maybe I should rephrase, you're almost guaranteed nothing will happen. There needs to be a very specific chain of events to unfold. It's like being struck by lightening. you'll be fine

  • @dbd900bach said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585895#Comment_2585895

    No offense exactly but that doesnt quite calm my nerves yet. There has been in a surge of hackers in dbd so who's to say what's real. I can't quite take a chance on most likely won't be affected if you understand

    I'm telling from years of coding experience that your fine and people are exaggerating things and making ######### up dont believe me fine but 8 went to college for this ######### for years so I think that speaks for itself

    -i hate everybody- Abraham Lincoln

    now does that sound real no because its not that's what people are doing

    making ######### up

  • @SlothGirly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585899#Comment_2585899

    ok, maybe I should rephrase, you're almost guaranteed nothing will happen. There needs to be a very specific chain of events to unfold. It's like being struck by lightening. you'll be fine

    I'll try a game, given that I can even get into one and not infinitely load. Aside from that I just want to play the game and enjoy it without fear or issues as I do love dbd and no other game appeals right now the same way if that makes sense

  • @GrayEyes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585899#Comment_2585899

    I'm telling from years of coding experience that your fine and people are exaggerating things and making ######### up dont believe me fine but 8 went to college for this ######### for years so I think that speaks for itself

    -i hate everybody- Abraham Lincoln

    now does that sound real no because its not that's what people are doing

    making ######### up

    Calm down, I'm sorry that this got so out of hand and that it deeply irritates you that no one gets what's actually happening.

    I was just concerned since "Bricked" is something new I haven't heard of and anyone would be scared if they heard their expensive console was at risk.

  • @dbd900bach said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585908#Comment_2585908

    Calm down, I'm sorry that this got so out of hand and that it deeply irritates you that no one gets what's actually happening.

    I was just concerned since "Bricked" is something new I haven't heard of and anyone would be scared if they heard their expensive console was at risk.

    not even mad I just curse a lot lol

    that and I hate when people try and deceive those that are less knowledgeable then themselves if I take my car to my mechanic i expect him to be straight up with me so i hate when people go on forums and lie against people that have literally paid to learn about the subjects they know

  • If I see a hacker, I will just leave the game. I’m playing this game on my ps4 pro since June 2017 and my console is still fine.

  • @dnj510 said:

    I'm on PS5, and if I turn off crossplay, I don't find a match.

    @Jeromy137 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2585030#Comment_2585030

    Yeah pretty much this I'm on PS5 and only get games if a PS4 friend is the host of the lobby

    Not true, it was like this initially, but now PS5 and PS4 are the same pool. I have no problem finding matches on PS5. If you believe PS5 is the issue, download and play the PS4 version in the meantime.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    BHVR should've added a console-only crossplay option by now. We've been asking for it since crossplay was first announced, and the prevalence of hackers has only made it more necessary, but they've completely ignored both issues.

    Agree, but no one would opt-in to cross-play with PC players, which is the dev's principal objective.

  • @dnj510 said:

    I'm on PS5, and if I turn off crossplay, I don't find a match.

    Ditto. Queue times are hell with it turned off

1 2 ›