Anyone miss old Freddy?

Y'know, old old Freddy. He just felt so unique to go against, even If he was weak. Current Freddy might as well be a clown that places bottles on the ground.🤣

Comments

  • @landromat said:

    Yes

    Me too kid... Me too.

  • Yep, new Freddy is basically just a weaker Clown with mobility. Old Freddy was a unique and interesting killer.

    I miss the old Freddy because he was essentially an M1 killer with an amazing tracking ability and one of the best slowdown abilities. The dream world was actually threatening back then.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462803#Comment_2462803

    I'll take a killer that's at least a threat. That survivors can't complete a gen in front of my face for 100, bob.

    You're speaking about getting a gen completed in your face from experience aren't you?

  • Yes and no, his ability was unique and you had to pull everyone into the dream world, but his free aura reading was unfair and annoying to deal with.

  • @JFF said:

    Yes and no, his ability was unique and you had to pull everyone into the dream world, but his free aura reading was unfair and annoying to deal with.

    This was back when he had no chasing potential in his kit.

  • Yes, because he just needed some QoL changes. Not this whole overhaul that turned him into a different killer.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462807#Comment_2462807

    Funny enough. No. I came after old Freddy. I just watched a LOT of old Freddy videos since the nostalgia group hyped him up so much.

    I watched videos showing the reality of how god aweful old Freddy was. And not glamorized highlight clips from someone like Otz. That make you go "well he wasn't so bad"

    People say he was unique. But eh...He literally used nurse hand to pull people in to dreams or whatever. Something he's never done in the movies. He really didn't look that "unique" or fun to me. Just pain

    Who'd you watch exactly?

  • Not really. He was pretty bad and I didn't have much fun playing him personally.

  • Old Freddy was faithful to his source material and was unique. New Freddy is boring and uninspired

  • I do, always have and always will.

  • The Old-Freddy nostalgia in this forum is really mind-blowing.

    Against your clueless soloQ survivors, it was ez pz to win, as with every other killer. But against skillful teams, who knew how to deal with your power and how to exploit its limits, old freddy was just so PAINFUL to play. Trickster-in-High-loops-painful. How everyone of the Old-Freddy Hype-Train seems to have forgotten this is beyond me.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462854#Comment_2462854

    I love this conversation....A Freddy that PULLS people to dream world is faithful...How exactly.

    He's never done that once in the movies. He's always invaded dreams. Always needed people to do his bidding for him.

    Well new Freddy can literally hit you when you’re awake so I think old Freddy wins in the faithful category for that reason alone

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    The Old-Freddy nostalgia in this forum is really mind-blowing.

    Against your clueless soloQ survivors, it was ez pz to win, as with every other killer. But against skillful teams, who knew how to deal with your power and how to exploit its limits, old freddy was just so PAINFUL to play. Trickster-in-High-loops-painful. How everyone of the Old-Freddy Hype-Train seems to have forgotten this is beyond me.

    We never forgot his weaknesses, however, they were much less of a problem if you knew how to play him properly. And not many people knew.

    I've always said that he could have used one or two buffs and QoL changes.

    A full rework? Never!

  • @Rez_Marsiel said:

    Y'know, old old Freddy. He just felt so unique to go against, even If he was weak. Current Freddy might as well be a clown that places bottles on the ground.🤣

    I'll take me Freddy and day if the week but I'd like to have seen the old mechanic reused and improved for a new killer. Old Freddy was unique

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462874#Comment_2462874

    There's at least instances of him harming people when awake. Even if it was Nancy pulling him in to the real world

    No instances of him pulling them asleep/in to dream world

    When did he use blood snares or fake traps in the film? Or what about alarm clocks?

    2010 Freddy was all about slowly tiring out his opponents and then killing them in his territory. New Freddy is about quickly ending chases and quickly pressuring gens

  • I loved playing old Freddy.

    The twins incapacitated status effect would have been perfect for him. Would solve so many issues

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I loved playing old Freddy.

    The twins incapacitated status effect would have been perfect for him. Would solve so many issues

    "The twins incapacitated status effect would have been perfect for him. Would solve so many issues"

    Nice to see someone who also thinks that way!

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462869#Comment_2462869

    We never forgot his weaknesses, however, they were much less of a problem if you knew how to play him properly. And not many people knew.

    I've always said that he could have used one or two buffs and QoL changes.

    A full rework? Never!

    Oh, so how did you prevent a gens from being finished in your face while you wait out the dream transition, how do you "play him properly" there? How do protect a hook or gate with this? For a killer with 3 end game perks as his own, he was exceptionally weak in the end game.

    Another thing I just realized when looking through his old addons: Freddy was often played with both dream transition addons, bc otherwise he won't stand a chance. So you could safely assume how addon dependent he was. I think thats another thing being overlooked repeatedly.

    About QoL changes, I actually agree that the rather new incapacitated status would have a great addition to his dream transition, mitigating some of his core issues. But this effect was only added with Twins, a considerable time after the freddy rework. So that mechanic was just not available.

    Old Freddy was weak, and still hated by many. The decision to rework him was the right choice, imo. And interestingly, after the rework hit live, the majority of the players were happy with it. There were no or only few "give-back-old-freddy" threads back then (at least not this much as today). Then forever freddy established, together with the "boring freddy" framing, and suddenly all are in love with old Freddy again.

    I know this would never happen, but let me have a guess what would happen if the devs decided to revert him: One day of "hurray old freddy back", followed by myriads of posts about how bad and simultaniously unfair he is, calling for reverts of the revert. A shame we will never experience this.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462898#Comment_2462898

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NLAGFMJVDR7D/screenshot-20210830-122655-youtube-vanced.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/JBXT580GKK8O/screenshot-20210830-122705-youtube-vanced.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2L8VKJG7NAOW/screenshot-20210830-122712-youtube-vanced.jpg

    Weirdly similar is it not ? Curiosity of freddy vs Jason. Also survivors use the alarm clocks, not Freddy. There was several times in the movies the cast used alarm clocks to wake up. Also several instances of Freddy using traps of sort. Like the toothpaste steps

    I’m specifically talking about 2010 Freddy here since that’s who it is based on

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462934#Comment_2462934

    I’m specifically talking about 2010 Freddy here since that’s who it is based on

    There’s a scene in the remake where Nancy is running and she runs into a red paste that slows her down I think that’s where the devs got inspiration for dream snares

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462934#Comment_2462934

    I’m specifically talking about 2010 Freddy here since that’s who it is based on

    IMO old Freddy's power fits 2010 Freddy more, since he was shown to be weak outside of the dream world, and the dream world itself was threatening and was something to be afraid of. Original Freddy would fit the current Freddy's power with the snares or whatever.

  • @Rez_Marsiel said:

    Y'know, old old Freddy. He just felt so unique to go against, even If he was weak. Current Freddy might as well be a clown that places bottles on the ground.🤣

    As a former pre rework freddy main I loved him, of course he was weaker against coordinated teams, but so is almost every single killer. This new freddy even still struggles against coordinated teams. What coordinated teams COULDN'T do against old freddy is constantly be aware of him. His unpredictability was unmatched, and he had built in slowdown and aura reading. It was insane the information freddy got, with the downside being that he couldn't do well in chases. It was like wraith, he had a hit and run playstyle that awarded hitting multiple people and being all over the place instead of committing to chases. If they just gave old freddy the teleport, he would've been a fun and unique killer, and an extremely unique form of stealth character, like a much more consistent Pig. He was bad during the time he was out because he was much different than the rest of the cast, and needed to be played different, and wasn't a good chaser. I am happy he got reworked, but it is sad to see a killer i used to love and people used to love to go against, be turned into such a boring, average version of other killers. I made this post below talking of an idea to get old freddy back, while also keeping the current one. Both sides win, and hell, it might even show that older freddy had great strengths to the people that didn't know his playstyle, while giving this freddy the teleport and other passives as well.

    @Lochnload_exe said:

    I was thinking of my first love, my first main, pre rework freddy, and I really loved him but his new self feels so boring. I loved the hit and run style of old freddy and playing unpredictable but I understand his current form has new lovers. But, I was thinking of the problems of old freddy, mainly the fact he didn't have any chase potential, so fully reworking him back to his original self wouldn't work. But then I thought about the pallet addons, the addon set that changes the way his power works. What if, that could happen again with his old power. Introducing my new addon set idea.

    [ADDON NAME]

    Replaces Dream Snares with Dream Pull.

    Micro-Sleep and Alarm clocks disabled. Survivors no longer see The Nightmare while awake. Survivors will be pulled into the dream realm after a 6/5/4 second timer. Survivors while asleep have a 50% slowdown to healing and gen repair speeds. While asleep, survivors outside of The Nightmare's Terror Radius will have their aura revealed. The Nightmare's Terror Radius is shortened by 8 meters. Cannot be used with Dream Pallets.

    The point of this addon is just to give pre rework freddy life again, and combined with teleport, which maybe cannot be seen by survivors unless asleep, could be really fun. I would love to see something similar to old freddy again, and it would be so much more interesting than this new snare freddy. Is snare freddy stronger? Yes he is lmao but I just loved being able to hit survivors and dissapear but still keep an eye on them, and then reappear and catch them off guard.


  • He was such a meme so yes playing as him was kinda fun at least more fun than current freddy

  • @Rez_Marsiel said:

    Y'know, old old Freddy. He just felt so unique to go against, even If he was weak. Current Freddy might as well be a clown that places bottles on the ground.🤣

    no the fact i couldnt do nothing or ######### to stop survivors unhooking right under my nose because his power worked against him not for him no i dont lol ....

  • This content has been removed.
  • @dannyfrog87 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/276400/anyone-miss-old-freddy

    no the fact i couldnt do nothing or ######### to stop survivors unhooking right under my nose because his power worked against him not for him no i dont lol ....

    feels like a situation where you didn't know his playstyle and realized you couldn't camp with him :/

  • It's easy to reminisce, but I don't think I'd want old old Freddy back. Remember slow down freddy? Freddy with Remember Me? With max tokens of old Remember Me and whilst being in the dream world and not an obsession, it'd take 1:20 mins (or 1:15) to fully open it if you weren't the obsession. That combined with NOED, old Mori and with old Undying Light to tunnel out the obsession made for boring, stretched out, tedious games.

    Now remember, there was no hiding from old Freddy. If he wanted to tunnel, he would. So if you were the obsession and he had Dying Light and a Mori you'd better be good not being found, at all.

    Sure there were fun moments like this:

    https://youtu.be/ljLp5jd2HEU

    Or missing a skillcheck as he's about to hit you. But that doesn't negate the rest of it.

  • @Lochnload_exe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463199#Comment_2463199

    feels like a situation where you didn't know his playstyle and realized you couldn't camp with him :/

    are you serious bro? lol ..... id leave the hook survivors would come running to unhook i could do nothing to stop them or example if the exit gates was open they could unhook no impunity and the survivor could get out both of them before put to sleep if healthy. its clearly you who did not know freddys power or how survivors had the upper hand its why he was changed. you are clearly being ignorant or no idea how the old freddy worked lol. his power worked against him not for him its why he was changed took far too long to put a survivor to sleep i remember it well believe me i played enough with freddy and no not camping

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462828#Comment_2462828

    No one specifically. Just YouTube DBD old Freddy. Plenty of videos of how trash he was.

    Blowing generators to stay awake and be safe. Because it was worth it. Rescuing from a potentially deadly situation like a basement hook without the Freddy being able to do anything.

    Blow up gens against skillcheck Freddy is asking for more regression. If you juggle as Freddy then you are applying pressure. He did had his problem tho like he can go thru awake survivor and tunnel the person. He was abused by the bodyblock due to awake survivors being asleep before he can interact with the down survivor.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462878#Comment_2462878

    Oh, so how did you prevent a gens from being finished in your face while you wait out the dream transition, how do you "play him properly" there? How do protect a hook or gate with this? For a killer with 3 end game perks as his own, he was exceptionally weak in the end game.

    Another thing I just realized when looking through his old addons: Freddy was often played with both dream transition addons, bc otherwise he won't stand a chance. So you could safely assume how addon dependent he was. I think thats another thing being overlooked repeatedly.

    About QoL changes, I actually agree that the rather new incapacitated status would have a great addition to his dream transition, mitigating some of his core issues. But this effect was only added with Twins, a considerable time after the freddy rework. So that mechanic was just not available.

    Old Freddy was weak, and still hated by many. The decision to rework him was the right choice, imo. And interestingly, after the rework hit live, the majority of the players were happy with it. There were no or only few "give-back-old-freddy" threads back then (at least not this much as today). Then forever freddy established, together with the "boring freddy" framing, and suddenly all are in love with old Freddy again.

    I know this would never happen, but let me have a guess what would happen if the devs decided to revert him: One day of "hurray old freddy back", followed by myriads of posts about how bad and simultaniously unfair he is, calling for reverts of the revert. A shame we will never experience this.

    If they would have use his range add ons with the class photo they would have easily got notification from everyone in the game. The blocks are okay but it like going against mint rag hag. There nothing fun in using them if you can't learn how to use him. He was a hit and run killer in a way. He can track but everyone like a chase killer.

  • @katoptris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2462908#Comment_2462908

    If they would have use his range add ons with the class photo they would have easily got notification from everyone in the game. The blocks are okay but it like going against mint rag hag. There nothing fun in using them if you can't learn how to use him. He was a hit and run killer in a way. He can track but everyone like a chase killer.

    Yes, the class photo was really good, I actually missed that after the rework. But this also was a very rare addon. You shouldn't have to use very rare or ultra rare addons just to do good (enough). His other addons would decrease the repair speed even more. Thats actually another reason for the rework the devs mentioned: That the gens were slowed down way to much, which they deemed not very enjoyable. The devs moved away from gen slowdown powers and addons, that alone is the nail to the coffin of Freddys old power.

  • @DBDRewardsBdBehavior said:

    Definitely! Dont know why they ruin characters with reworks. I still feel that the Clown didnt need a rework.

    Atleast with Clown they only added to his kit.

    You are completly free to ignore everything about the rework and play old clown with faster reload.

    Old freddy is straight up gone completly

  • I miss him a lot tbh.

  • It would be nice if people were less dismissive and could accept the fact that some original Freddy knew how to work around his weaknesses. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean mains couldn't figure them out.

    To answer OP: yes, I miss old Freddy, I'd prefer playing him over new Freddy any day, I actually dropped him as a main for about half a year when his rework happened.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    It's easy to reminisce, but I don't think I'd want old old Freddy back. Remember slow down freddy? Freddy with Remember Me? With max tokens of old Remember Me and whilst being in the dream world and not an obsession, it'd take 1:20 mins (or 1:15) to fully open it if you weren't the obsession. That combined with NOED, old Mori and with old Undying Light to tunnel out the obsession made for boring, stretched out, tedious games.

    Now remember, there was no hiding from old Freddy. If he wanted to tunnel, he would. So if you were the obsession and he had Dying Light and a Mori you'd better be good not being found, at all.

    Sure there were fun moments like this:

    https://youtu.be/ljLp5jd2HEU

    Or missing a skillcheck as he's about to hit you. But that doesn't negate the rest of it.

    Oh god, old DS

  • Fred was one of my favorite sluggers.

    Can't find a survivor, spin in circles with range add ons and your hand out.

    He is still an amazing slugger but I miss the constant auras.

  • I don't miss his weakness, but i majorly miss his aesthetic. He was truly a dream demon, invisible to waking survivors but made real in their dreams. It was spooky, thematic, and all around really cool. It made the dream world just that much more threatening to be in, plus the split second moments of waking up inches from his claws was awesome. I don't miss the frustrations, but god i miss the aesthetic. Seeing survivors float in the air when being carried was also pretty funny.

  • @Rez_Marsiel said:

    Y'know, old old Freddy. He just felt so unique to go against, even If he was weak. Current Freddy might as well be a clown that places bottles on the ground.🤣

    I would say yes and no Freddy for me though I enjoyed his unique playstyle he had back in the day I do prefer this Freddy kinda mainly because it was kinda sad to see the most iconic horror villain (next to Jason) be the worst killer in the game. Now he's one of the better killers which imo is where he should be.

  • For practical purposes (actually winning), he was trash af


    I don't get the sudden nostalgia when we all used to crap on him day & night

  • I never played against old freddy but from what I've seen and hear he was fun to go against and was unique. So with that amount of knowledge it sounded like he just needed a big buff and not a whole rework.

  • In fact I stopped playing him after the rework.

    After the rework he become way better, but much more boring.

    I miss being the only truly invisible killer in the game...

  • @Alionis said:

    It would be nice if people were less dismissive and could accept the fact that some original Freddy knew how to work around his weaknesses. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean mains couldn't figure them out.

    To answer OP: yes, I miss old Freddy, I'd prefer playing him over new Freddy any day, I actually dropped him as a main for about half a year when his rework happened.

    Same here I dropped him.