Buff Undying
Remove aura reading
Make the perk bonus revives another hex totem 1/2/3 times.
Alternatively you could fix totem spawns so they aren't rancid, fetid garbage.
Remove aura reading
Make the perk bonus revives another hex totem 1/2/3 times.
Alternatively you could fix totem spawns so they aren't rancid, fetid garbage.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Ehh... just rework totem spawns.
Too much work, thats why undying was made in the first place. Then they nerfed the solution before fixing the problem, apparently because they have no foresight at all.
They reworked all the older survivors' models and looked at almost all of their cosmetics and made some adjustments to them or even reworked some, I cannot fathom how long that could've taken. I'm sure they can fix totem spawns for each map, would be a piece of cake compared to the models.
Someone working on art assets are not the same people that would be working on totem spawn logic in the engine.
I think making totems spawns change every few chapters would be better tbh. Also i think undying should be buffed to not be a hex that way it can keep its aura reading even when its main use is gone.
I don't like the idea of buffing one of the strongest perks. Should we also buff survivor meta perks to compensate?
Undying is so weak that the only hex perks worth running with it are retribution, or haunted grounds. In fact the only reason I run ruin at all is because there is no comparably strong gen defense perk without sacrificing more slots for the same work, if it weren't for that I wouldn't run any hex perk except devour hope for when I want to have some fun.
I mean, if we go to the system you are proposing you might as well just bring back old undying, and that was super unhealthy for the game. There is a reason it only transfers once - and I think undying is in a really healthy spot right now because of that. Hex totems are supposed to be high risk/high reward, like my devour hope might be cleansed immediately or I might mori everyone at 5 gens if I put enough pressure. I truly do think undying is already still strong despite it's nerf it got, and wouldn't consider it weak at all - especially now that it keeps your tokens too (on hexes that do anyways).
That being said, totem spawns on maps like Ormond, Autohaven and Macmillan can be brutal sometimes - especially the ones just way out in the open on hills. At the same time, totem spawns on indoor maps (racoon city especially) can be super tough to find without a map or *insert totem perk here*. My biggest worry is that if we rework totem spawns to be too hidden they will be impossible to find, which really hurts solo q players the most.
Out of curiosity and trying not to deviate from the original topic too much, besides removing obvious ones (on the hills in plain sight, that one god damn totem right outside the main ormond building in between the rocks, etc) - how would you rework the spawns, or if they removed those is it ok?
As the person said above just rework totem spawns. Undying was way to good before and the aura reading from it can be nice at times.
A change I would like to see is a totem counter for both survivors and killers on all totem based perks (similar to new small game).
They "nerfed" Undying because of the games where Ruin respawned 4 times. It would be dumb to go back to that. Old Undying was broken. Your suggestion is actually more broken because of a potential game where you need to cleanse Devour Hope 4 times.
Also calling the change to Undying a "nerf" is wrong. It got a really good quality of life change.
For perks like:
This was a massive buff. The fact it now keeps it's stacks is amazing for these perks. Having the hex totem only have 2 lives is nice buff, that doesn't make them too strong.
Happy for them to fix some totem spawns but nobody should ever believe the game would be better bringing back old Undying.
Exactly. And also the "wahaaa the totem spawns are so bad" is BS. Sure, there are still a few very bad spawns, but especially on the new maps the totems are pretty well placed.
The problems are mainly on the original maps. Mainly because these maps are pretty generic with the original tiles.
If the devs decide to not put any totems near tiles then good survivors will know to avoid these areas, and probably find totems faster.
Maps like Dead Dawg, Midwitch and RPD are completely different so it's easier to hide totems. Whereas Sanctum Of Wrath uses the old generic tiles and feel. This map isn't too difficult to find totems on.
Undying is so horrible it's used in 50% the matches I play.
Hex totems are high risk, no reward perks. Change my mind. When you play a game with undying + X hex totem and both are cleansed within 1 minute of the game starting thats not okay. Their consistency needs to go up because I haven't played a single game where I haven't immediately lost my hex totems. I don't know what rank you play at but anyone at purple or above generally know where all the totem spawns are and they are cleared out nearly immediately. I've even gone so far as to test how fast totems get destroyed by using Thrill for the counter. They fly right past.
BHVR is never going to bother to rework anything, its too much work thats why I'm suggesting this change to Undying which would be easy.
If you cleanse undying first then no more respawns, furthermore I'm not suggesting that the hex totem eventually takes over the undying spot either so it would only respawn 3 times as a hard limit which is still less than the original Undying and still give room to use other hex perks. Furthermore of the 3 perks that were buffed by the undying change, Devour Hope, Third Seal, and Huntress Lullaby the only one that is used is Devour hope and if you say you use the other 2 I'm gonna have to call you a liar straight up, 100%.
Totem spawns are hot rancid garbage on some maps, if you are talking about the new indoor maps those are just straight up trash, but the only reason totems survive for awhile on them is because people don't know the spawns by heart yet. In fact its even easier to find unique totem spawns because of how much more they stand out in your mind over regular spawns. The hex totem spawn in the top of temple of purgation comes to mind.
I don't like running Ruin either but I run it on every single killer because no other gen defense perk is worth it, so now what? We do things because they are the most optimal choice given the circumstances, not because they themselves are good choices.
If they had no reward then you wouldn't run them. The reward is if they last long enough, you'll get extremely good value out of them. Totem spots are decent on most of the newer maps but the original maps are where totems are at their weakest.
Also saying anyone above purple basically knows all totem spawns is completely wrong. That's like saying every red rank survivor knows how to loop lol I can tell you for certain that most survivors who don't have 1000 hours in this game or watch any streamers, don't know many of the spots.
As I said above, the only reason I run Ruin is because it is the best gen defense perk, thats not a compliment to ruin its an insult to every other gen defense perk which is, in a word, garbage.
Then it must just be my supremely bad luck that all the survivors I play against know where totems spawn. The only time I ever don't get Ruin down within, we'll say 5 minutes generously, is when I actively subjugate the entire survivor team so theres no time to be looking for totems. Which I don't think is a healthy thing for the game either. Its not fun slugging/hooking 3/4 survivors and I'm sure its not fun for the survivors being slugged and proxy camped all that time because theres literally no reason for me to go anywhere when all my pressure is right there.
Not that its very hard to learn, just run small game for maybe 50 hours and you'll easily have enough time to figure them all out.
Undying needs to be left alone. As a solo player, cleaning 4 ruins was a pain the neck. No one should have to go through that hell again.
You might get better value out of hex perks in indoor maps.
undying was a ######### fix for bhvr's awful totem spawns, that then resulted in the ruin-tinkerer-undying hell that then resulted in the wave of anti-totem perks that make the majority of hex perks useless. it's like putting a band-aid on an infected cut over and over until the whole thing becomes necrotic.
Wave of anti-totem perks? Aren’t there only three, and only two at the time this was implemented, Small Game and Detective’s Hunch? Now we have Counter Force, but am I missing more?
i thought there were more, my memory sucks let me check
nevermind i'm stupid lol
I would also like to take this moment to point out that counter force was released after the nerfed Undying, kicking an already dead horse.
But then it is a high risk, high reward perk. If it lasts, it's the best gen defense perk in the game.
Well you must be extremely unlucky then. Ruin isn't meant to last the whole game. Undying is perfectly fine the way it is and does help if you get unlucky with Ruin being found immediately. Old Undying and Ruin was broken and let bad killers get carried heavily.
Well they won't do that. Some people bring small game but not everyone since there's a lot better perks to run instead.
It happens. There are so many perks that I'm sure I don't remember what a quarter of them do offhand, especially killer perks.
Please increase your literacy, I said max 3, and in another comment I even said if they found undying first, no more respawns, the exact same way it used to work.
Sorry, but I don't think its funny, would you like me to have the same hyperbole that both my ruin/undying are cleansed before I even load in even though the majority of my games I literally load in and in 15 seconds both are popped because survivors literally spawned with them up their butts? Something needs fixed here.
Then most of them, if not all, need to be way more powerful.