A survivor told me DCing to open hatch is a "legit strategy" is this true?

I managed to get a 3 gen situation (survivor's fault) so instead of them doing any of the gens they just hide near the hatch.


So I found both of them near the hatch so I downed 1 of them then went for the second guy only for the guy I just downed to DC which opened the hatch for his friend and he escaped.


So then in end game chat they are telling me this is a legit strategy, it's a gameplay mechanic and it's not cheating.


is it really a "legit strategy" because almost every survivor that does this has told me it's a legit strategy.


And why does the hatch open instantly anyways? It should be a 30 second timeout at least.

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • I mean, it is pretty clearly exploiting a game mechanic for a unintended benefit.

    I don't think it's bannable, unfortunately.

  • Hatch should take 60 seconds to open if second to last survivor DC's.

  • It isn't and nobody who claims it is is serious

  • I'm pretty sure purposefully DCing in any way is at least reportable (IDK if it's bannable) so no, it's not a legit strategy. It is a douchey strategy, though.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I mean, it is pretty clearly exploiting a game mechanic for a unintended benefit.

    I don't think it's bannable, unfortunately.

    Actually, it was bannable a while ago until BHVR added DC Penalties. If you DC'd enough times, which back then it was a crap ton, you would receive a lengthy ban [1 week > 2 week > 3 week > permanent] whenever they did their annual ban wave. However, now that there's DC penalties, there's no need to ban them as there's already a punishment for DCing.

    My information is inaccurate, but it's a rough recall to how things was back then.

  • @NMCKE said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373625#Comment_2373625

    Actually, it was bannable a while ago until BHVR added DC Penalties. If you DC'd enough times, which back then it was a crap ton, you would receive a lengthy ban [1 week > 2 week > 3 week > permanent] whenever they did their annual ban wave. However, now that there's DC penalties, there's no need to ban them as there's already a punishment for DCing.

    My information is inaccurate, but it's a rough recall to how things was back then.

    Well, as of now, DC penalties are off.

    And even when they are on, I've seen these guys do it repeatedly against me, like, multiple games in a row.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373631#Comment_2373631

    Well, as of now, DC penalties are off.

    And even when they are on, I've seen these guys do it repeatedly against me, like, multiple games in a row.

    penalty is clearly not enough then, needs to be higher to discourage this behavior.

  • It an ego thing with people.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373632#Comment_2373632

    penalty is clearly not enough then, needs to be higher to discourage this behavior.

    The penalty shouldn't be increased, in my opinion.

    Hatch should take "X amount of time to open after the last Survivor is removed from the trial."

  • As far as I know they could be banned for the unsportmanship of intentionally dcing. Its not bannable for exploiting game mechanics as far as I am aware, but it probably should be.

    They really should address this and other hatch related issues by modifying hatch, adding a timer before it opens, or removing hatch for different late game mechanics.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373635#Comment_2373635

    The penalty shouldn't be increased, in my opinion.

    Hatch should take "X amount of time to open after the last Survivor is removed from the trial."

    it's technically factored in with the long sacrifice animation


    or however long a mori animation lasts


    But DCing is instant and it's obvious there was no foresight about DCing to open hatch

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373631#Comment_2373631

    Well, as of now, DC penalties are off.

    And even when they are on, I've seen these guys do it repeatedly against me, like, multiple games in a row.

    Honestly, there should be a fail-safe for when someone DCs to meet the conditions of the hatch opening.

    The fail-safe would be a 15 second delay before the hatch opens.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    Hatch should take 60 seconds to open if second to last survivor DC's.

    This is a great idea!

  • If someone DCs, the hatch should just not open. Tough cookies for the final survivor, but 99% of the time, a late-game DC is to give hatch.

    Just prevent it from opening/appearing, and the final Survivor is hosed. They can cry on their DC buddies shoulder after they're fed to the Entity.

  • if you wanna sacrifice 5 cakes for something like that, then i'm just gonna laugh at how you basically wasted your time. It just seems like a self-own.

  • They should have sacrifice animation play when someone DCs. Could use the EGC sacrifice animation. If they did that then hatch wouldn't immediately open, would have to wait until end of animation.

  • It isn't intended. I remember a dev stream that happened when I started playing in which the devs saying they were going to replace DCed survivors with bots exactly due to situations like this, so it's definitely not intended and ofc not a legit strategy.

  • @Power_Guy said:

    If someone DCs, the hatch should just not open. Tough cookies for the final survivor, but 99% of the time, a late-game DC is to give hatch.

    Just prevent it from opening/appearing, and the final Survivor is hosed. They can cry on their DC buddies shoulder after they're fed to the Entity.

    Here comes the "DC penalties won't make this necessary" counterpoints.

    Brace yourself.

  • @NMCKE said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373684#Comment_2373684

    Here comes the "DC penalties won't make this necessary" counterpoints.

    Brace yourself.

    They should do both; DC penalty, and prevent the Hatch from opening.

    Screw over both people in a DC-For-Hatch sandwich. ๐Ÿ˜

  • @Power_Guy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373765#Comment_2373765

    They should do both; DC penalty, and prevent the Hatch from opening.

    Screw over both people in a DC-For-Hatch sandwich. ๐Ÿ˜

    I agree, and as much as I really want the second part, it's not going to happen because I can't see the developers adding such a thing, unfortunately.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I mean, it is pretty clearly exploiting a game mechanic for a unintended benefit.

    I don't think it's bannable, unfortunately.

    It literally is bannable, you eat a DC penalty every time you do it.

    Like, it's one of the only things that will actually get you banned.

    Hacking? Holding a game hostage? Tossing around racial slurs in post chat? Supposedly bannable, but because of how terrible the report system is it will probably go unpunished.

    If you DC to give hatch, though, instant temp ban. Doesn't get more direct than that.

  • So, you slug me and leave me there so you can go hunt the 4K. The last person is hiding, waiting for me to die and, I'm just supposed to lay there... thrilling!

  • @stikyard said:

    So, you slug me and leave me there so you can go hunt the 4K. The last person is hiding, waiting for me to die and, I'm just supposed to lay there... thrilling!

    sounds like you want 0 points then

  • @ringwinning said:

    I'm pretty sure purposefully DCing in any way is at least reportable (IDK if it's bannable) so no, it's not a legit strategy. It is a douchey strategy, though.

    DC'ing is not reportable.

    ABOUT DISCONNECTS BANS - DO NOT REPORT

    Disconnects are handled by the disconnection penalty system. No further action will be taken on reports.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

  • @Bard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373625#Comment_2373625

    It literally is bannable, you eat a DC penalty every time you do it.

    Like, it's one of the only things that will actually get you banned.

    Hacking? Holding a game hostage? Tossing around racial slurs in post chat? Supposedly bannable, but because of how terrible the report system is it will probably go unpunished.

    If you DC to give hatch, though, instant temp ban. Doesn't get more direct than that.

    How do you throw around racial slurs in a chat with a language filter that you can't turn off?

  • It's a petty, childish way to "get back at" a killer for winning

    Been around since the hatch was added to the game and I don't think the devs are eager to deal with it, since it doesn't actually happen that often.

  • If it works, it works. The developers would have patched it out if it wasn't a genuine strategy.

  • It's technically not a legit strategy, but it's already one that's normally punished by the system with temp DC Bans. It's just that DC penalties are currently off. (Plus, DCs lose all of your BP gained that match.)

    Tbh tho, I think the system is fine as-is. I personally don't slug for 4k's, and I think that if DC penalties are on there's already enough incentive not to do it.

  • I would never DC for hatch even in a swf lol. Like why would I abandon all my BP from the match just so someone can get hatch and killer wont get a kill they deserve? Childish

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    I managed to get a 3 gen situation (survivor's fault) so instead of them doing any of the gens they just hide near the hatch.

    So I found both of them near the hatch so I downed 1 of them then went for the second guy only for the guy I just downed to DC which opened the hatch for his friend and he escaped.

    So then in end game chat they are telling me this is a legit strategy, it's a gameplay mechanic and it's not cheating.

    is it really a "legit strategy" because almost every survivor that does this has told me it's a legit strategy.

    And why does the hatch open instantly anyways? It should be a 30 second timeout at least.

    Even if it would be legit, it's an incredible dumb move. The one DC'ing forfeits all their BP for the other to get 7k more (at max.). A net negative for the survivors in most cases. Sure it might rob the killer of some points as well, but that will only be something like 1k, givevn that you get a DC compensation. It only really hurts when a BBQ stack DC's.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/267448/a-survivor-told-me-dcing-to-open-hatch-is-a-legit-strategy-is-this-true

    Even if it would be legit, it's an incredible dumb move. The one DC'ing forfeits all their BP for the other to get 7k more (at max.). A net negative for the survivors in most cases. Sure it might rob the killer of some points as well, but that will only be something like 1k, givevn that you get a DC compensation. It only really hurts when a BBQ stack DC's.

    the guy told me he doesn't care if he gets 0 points

  • Why would survivors care about points? You only need one prestige 3 with all the perks and you are done, there are no incentives to earn more

  • @Power_Guy said:

    If someone DCs, the hatch should just not open. Tough cookies for the final survivor, but 99% of the time, a late-game DC is to give hatch.

    Just prevent it from opening/appearing, and the final Survivor is hosed. They can cry on their DC buddies shoulder after they're fed to the Entity.

    That would be more harmful than helpful, since it would bring back the whole taking-the-game-hostage scenario

    They should just play the EGC sacrifice animation when someone DCs, so the hatch won't open immediately

  • Obviously not, as when DC penalties are enabled they get timed out for it.

    When someone disconnects at any point in the match, just teleport them onto a basement hook and starts being sacrificed as if they're the last survivor (they "rush" through the remaining hook stages). Hatch no longer opens instantly, killers gets hook credit for it, and also doesn't open for survivors to grief other survivors in new ways by DCing like preventing the hatch from opening at all in the case of a DC would do.

  • I mean sure it is... If you a sore loser.

  • This story has two sides a person who dc'd for hatch and you who slugged for 4k so you both did "legit strategies" which none is legit but both works for them to escape and for you to get 4k so I wouldn't overthink too much about this

  • @Nico_0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374062#Comment_2374062

    Why would survivors care about points? You only need one prestige 3 with all the perks and you are done, there are no incentives to earn more

    yeah you're right because survivors find all their items through chests and get to keep all items they escape with.


    killers have to constantly keep buying add-ons and they get removed even after getting a 4k

  • @justbecause said:

    This story has two sides a person who dc'd for hatch and you who slugged for 4k so you both did "legit strategies" which none is legit but both works for them to escape and for you to get 4k so I wouldn't overthink too much about this

    Slugging is legit, though. DCing is literally against the rules.

  • @justbecause said:

    This story has two sides a person who dc'd for hatch and you who slugged for 4k so you both did "legit strategies" which none is legit but both works for them to escape and for you to get 4k so I wouldn't overthink too much about this

    ??????


    Slugging is not against the rules. DCing is against the rules.


    So how can you say DCing is a legit strategy?

  • @stikyard said:

    So, you slug me and leave me there so you can go hunt the 4K. The last person is hiding, waiting for me to die and, I'm just supposed to lay there... thrilling!

    Yes. it's called playing the game; even the parts you don't like.


    @Bwsted said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373629#Comment_2373629

    DC'ing is not reportable.

    ABOUT DISCONNECTS BANS - DO NOT REPORT

    Disconnects are handled by the disconnection penalty system. No further action will be taken on reports.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

    We know, and that is a problem.


    @unluckycombo said:

    It's technically not a legit strategy, but it's already one that's normally punished by the system with temp DC Bans. It's just that DC penalties are currently off. (Plus, DCs lose all of your BP gained that match.)

    Tbh tho, I think the system is fine as-is. I personally don't slug for 4k's, and I think that if DC penalties are on there's already enough incentive not to do it.

    Just because it doesn't hurt your gameplay doesn't make it fine. Your whole argument here is 'I don't care so its okay'. No, it's not okay. it's cheating and whoever does it is a piece of crap.

  • Why even play then? If just for the fun, they could just play custom games.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374126#Comment_2374126

    Slugging is legit, though. DCing is literally against the rules.

    Slugging was never intended mechanic and no-one can convince me otherwise so is dc and dc isn't bannable nor is slugging/tunelling

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374126#Comment_2374126

    ??????

    Slugging is not against the rules. DCing is against the rules.

    So how can you say DCing is a legit strategy?

    Dc isn't against rules because it's not bannable, nor is slugging, camping and tunelling all those "strategies" are exploits and never intended game mechanic

  • @justbecause said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374139#Comment_2374139

    Slugging was never intended mechanic and no-one can convince me otherwise so is dc and dc isn't bannable nor is slugging/tunelling

    I mean, there's the fact that the devs literally created the mechanic and have repeatedly said it's an intended mechanic, but you do you, I guess. Just know that the devs' opinions on what is or isn't intended outweigh all of ours.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374178#Comment_2374178

    I mean, there's the fact that the devs literally created the mechanic and have repeatedly said it's an intended mechanic, but you do you, I guess. Just know that the devs' opinions on what is or isn't intended outweigh all of ours.

    Right that's why they need community to make their game better because they know better than us...

    Also doesn't matter what you call it don't be surprised when someone doesn't want to lay on floor forever until u chase down other person we came to play and with camping you can't play, slugging u can't play because ur on floor and tunelling u can't play unless u equipped perks and than they proceed to call u try hard because of perk choice etc etc point is don't be surprised

  • @justbecause said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374180#Comment_2374180

    Right that's why they need community to make their game better because they know better than us...

    Also doesn't matter what you call it don't be surprised when someone doesn't want to lay on floor forever until u chase down other person we came to play and with camping you can't play, slugging u can't play because ur on floor and tunelling u can't play unless u equipped perks and than they proceed to call u try hard because of perk choice etc etc point is don't be surprised

    I'm a survivor main. Losing is part of any game, especially PvP, and your opponents are free to use whatever tactics they deem necessary to win (and make you lose).

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374181#Comment_2374181

    I'm a survivor main. Losing is part of any game, especially PvP, and your opponents are free to use whatever tactics they deem necessary to win (and make you lose).

    Exactly they are free to use whatever they feel like you just answered your own question there you go don't complain about one while ur using other that stops player from playing the game

  • @justbecause said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374183#Comment_2374183

    Exactly they are free to use whatever they feel like you just answered your own question there you go don't complain about one while ur using other that stops player from playing the game

    No, I said "whatever tactics they deem necessary". Emphasis on "tactics". DCing is no more a tactic than literally installing cheats.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374189#Comment_2374189

    No, I said "whatever tactics they deem necessary". Emphasis on "tactics". DCing is no more a tactic than literally installing cheats.

    So is camping u can call it tactic but camping is more of exploit and I think we'll agree to disagree here and move on

  • @justbecause said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2374190#Comment_2374190

    So is camping u can call it tactic but camping is more of exploit and I think we'll agree to disagree here and move on

    Camping is a strategy, confirmed by the devs.

    Why do you think your opinions on what the devs intended to be in the game outweigh the devs' own statements?

โ€น 1 2