Do killers enjoy getting nice messages?

Hey everyone,

Probably a stupid question here, but I’m very new to the game (got it like last week but I’ve been playing a lot and ranking up fast), and I’ve been watching the forums and subreddit for a while now and I read a LOT of posts about toxic/mean survivors. So, to kinda combat or balance out the ######### people, I’ve been trying to send every killer I play against a nice message. I’m not able to message everyone since I’m on console, so when I can’t do that I try to friend them to show that I like/appreciate them.

My question for the forum is; Do killers enjoy being nicely messaged and/or befriended?

I’m doing it to try to spread positivity, but if it’s actually just annoying or an inconvenience to people I’ll have to reconsider.

Some context info:

sometimes killers message me back and then they’re always nice, but mostly they don’t reply.

I send messages like: “Thanks for the game! :)” Or “You really steamrolled us hahah. Good job!”

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • I enjoy a civil discourse about what just went down. Good natured jesting about the match etc. When someone loses their tiny mind over made-up ideals it gets tiresome. If something crazy/funny/amazing happens, let's acknowledge it. If you wanna complain about how someone played a video game, that's what the steam forums are for ha ha.

  • Absolutely, it makes a nice change when I receive one as Killer.

    When I'm playing as survivor I will always at least say gg (even on a loss), if the Killer has played fair and not done anything obviously wrong such as camping the first hook (heck I don't even care if I get camped to death later on, if it was a close game, and I know that the Killer made the right move to camp me). Knowing that often survivors will be quite negative, I'll always try and be positive, just to keep that Killer wanting to actually play the game in a way that is fair to the other players.

    I've noticed as well that they will always say thank you as well (the ones who post in chat anyway), so it definitely seems to me that others appreciate it too.

    I think it's the only valid response if you are not a fan of toxicity in this game. Simply being silent or not being toxic isn't enough!

  • Yes, always.

    I'm pleasantly surprised, if a bit confused; when I say "gg wp" in chat and a Survivor throws the same "gg wp" back at me.

    😅

  • @deathcheetos said:

    Hey everyone,

    Probably a stupid question here, but I’m very new to the game (got it like last week but I’ve been playing a lot and ranking up fast), and I’ve been watching the forums and subreddit for a while now and I read a LOT of posts about toxic/mean survivors. So, to kinda combat or balance out the ######### people, I’ve been trying to send every killer I play against a nice message. I’m not able to message everyone since I’m on console, so when I can’t do that I try to friend them to show that I like/appreciate them.

    My question for the forum is; Do killers enjoy being nicely messaged and/or befriended?

    I’m doing it to try to spread positivity, but if it’s actually just annoying or an inconvenience to people I’ll have to reconsider.

    Some context info:

    sometimes killers message me back and then they’re always nice, but mostly they don’t reply.

    I send messages like: “Thanks for the game! :)” Or “You really steamrolled us hahah. Good job!”

    Absolutely, you never know when your message might be restoring their faith in the community after possibly receiving absolute vile for previous games.

    Not sure which console you are on, but on Xbox the messages won't go into their normal Chat inbox unless they know you, so sometimes that could be the reason for the lack of reply, I normally check it every so often but I am sure lots don't.

  • Of course and I also try to do the same. My job as killer is to give excitement to the game and make it difficult to complete your objective. So when I get a nice message I know I did my job correctly and let them have fun. Of course there is still that drive to win so sometimes if I've had a bad day or just not been feeling well I'll go more for a 4k rather than just havin fun since winning always feels good. Competition is funny like that ain't it.

  • Couldn't really say, played the game since release and never really got a nice message other than the 12ggs within that 4+years period

  • I enjoy both good messages and salty messages. I'm pretty casual so I do feel better when I get compliments as killer, and have a good laugh when I get salty messages

  • @deathcheetos said:

    Hey everyone,

    Probably a stupid question here, but I’m very new to the game (got it like last week but I’ve been playing a lot and ranking up fast), and I’ve been watching the forums and subreddit for a while now and I read a LOT of posts about toxic/mean survivors. So, to kinda combat or balance out the ######### people, I’ve been trying to send every killer I play against a nice message. I’m not able to message everyone since I’m on console, so when I can’t do that I try to friend them to show that I like/appreciate them.

    My question for the forum is; Do killers enjoy being nicely messaged and/or befriended?

    I’m doing it to try to spread positivity, but if it’s actually just annoying or an inconvenience to people I’ll have to reconsider.

    Some context info:

    sometimes killers message me back and then they’re always nice, but mostly they don’t reply.

    I send messages like: “Thanks for the game! :)” Or “You really steamrolled us hahah. Good job!”

    i definitely do especially when the praise you for winning with a bad killer

  • @Marik13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2219890#Comment_2219890

    You know I ended up doing that in a game last week, closing the hatch in a slugged survivors face. But I made up for it and carried them over to the gate and let them wiggle free and get the escape. They legit gave me a couple of good chases throughout the game and at that point I figured I won and decided to show mercy and let them take off. I've seen a couple of the big killer main streamers like Otzdarva doing that, showing mercy and letting the final survivor get the escape if they gave him a good game. I liked that and figured I'd try and do the same. I hope that that's ok and survivors don't take it the wrong way.

    I think that’s fine! I would be very happy with it if it went that way. I was thinking of those killers who wait for you to crawl to the hatch while dancing on it, then close it, dance over your body and then hook you and hit you till you disappear. Like that’s just a little extra hahah

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2219716#Comment_2219716

    Trust me, you don't want to get matched with me. When I play nurse, I make the game as fast as I can to get into more games.

    I mean... sounds like a challenge ;)

  • @Pulsar said:

    Yes!

    @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/252726/do-killers-enjoy-getting-nice-messages

    Yes yes please yes go ahead I really appreciate getting nice messages it makes my day so much better and I'm very happy to receive them in bucket loads 🐷💗

    @MongolPSR said:

    Yes. Its way better than the usual. "######### *homophobic slur*"

    @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/252726/do-killers-enjoy-getting-nice-messages

    Killers are just Players (and most play both Killer and Survivor). Most people, well-adjusted, like good manners and courtesy. I appreciate any kind, or at least polite, words. I like to thank my opponents for the game and say something nice myself after a match, win or lose.

    If you run across someone being snide or salty, or somehow triggered when you are nice, just ignore it and assume that maladjusted person or someone having a bad day who decided to take it out on you. Such people are the minority and it is best to just let that stuff bounce off and move on.

    @EQWashu said:

    I enjoy getting nice messages as Killer (and survivor), and I also enjoy giving them as well! A lot of times I'll have killers that don't have a lot of practice on the character they are playing, I always like to give words of encouragement, and sometimes point out where they did an epic job (like random traps that got me, playing the loops super well, clever use of powers, etc).

    At the end of the day, Killers are players, players are human, and a little bit of kindness in a day, can go a very long way.

    @Dwight_Fairfield said:

    Yes its always nice when you see some friendly players in the community. Its even nicer when they said they had fun playing with you, or against you. For example I got a nice message from a SWF recently that faced my scratched mirror Mikey;

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZNCGQBWJ65OS/nice.jpg

    @DatFastBoi said:

    Oh hell yeah we do ! Getting a +rep with a nice message feels great too as it’s a reminder to never forget the great match or cool and memorable moments you had while playing against other peeps. Whenever i play killer i also try to give advices to counter the killer I’m playing or just some general tips to improve their experience. It’s not much, but as long as the intentions are good and that it’s not just a “Ggez noob git gud” type of message i’d say i’m always ready to listen to what my rivals are saying to be a better player and a more fun matchup against them.

    @burt0r said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2219757#Comment_2219757

    This ^

    From my experience the last time I played it is better to simply leave in silence and dignity. Most of the time their is either nothing or salt coming and only in matches were one got stomped, like only 2 hooks in the whole trial, they get a gg which then feels more like mockery.

    I had this the last time when I played a whole Saturday evening in a row against purple/red 80% swf and then one of the last games I got destroyed by a few true rank 1 and they gave me a "gg" i crumbled and answered "not for me and so on" and they took their gg back and went full toxic since I wasn't appreciating it.

    @smappdooda said:

    I enjoy a civil discourse about what just went down. Good natured jesting about the match etc. When someone loses their tiny mind over made-up ideals it gets tiresome. If something crazy/funny/amazing happens, let's acknowledge it. If you wanna complain about how someone played a video game, that's what the steam forums are for ha ha.

    @JPA said:

    Absolutely, it makes a nice change when I receive one as Killer.

    When I'm playing as survivor I will always at least say gg (even on a loss), if the Killer has played fair and not done anything obviously wrong such as camping the first hook (heck I don't even care if I get camped to death later on, if it was a close game, and I know that the Killer made the right move to camp me). Knowing that often survivors will be quite negative, I'll always try and be positive, just to keep that Killer wanting to actually play the game in a way that is fair to the other players.

    I've noticed as well that they will always say thank you as well (the ones who post in chat anyway), so it definitely seems to me that others appreciate it too.

    I think it's the only valid response if you are not a fan of toxicity in this game. Simply being silent or not being toxic isn't enough!

    @_NIGHTMARE_ said:

    Yes, always.

    I'm pleasantly surprised, if a bit confused; when I say "gg wp" in chat and a Survivor throws the same "gg wp" back at me.

    😅

    @MintberryCrunch said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/252726/do-killers-enjoy-getting-nice-messages

    Absolutely, you never know when your message might be restoring their faith in the community after possibly receiving absolute vile for previous games.

    Not sure which console you are on, but on Xbox the messages won't go into their normal Chat inbox unless they know you, so sometimes that could be the reason for the lack of reply, I normally check it every so often but I am sure lots don't.

    @PureDoctorMain said:

    Of course and I also try to do the same. My job as killer is to give excitement to the game and make it difficult to complete your objective. So when I get a nice message I know I did my job correctly and let them have fun. Of course there is still that drive to win so sometimes if I've had a bad day or just not been feeling well I'll go more for a 4k rather than just havin fun since winning always feels good. Competition is funny like that ain't it.

    @MadLordJack said:

    Yes.

    @CLAUDETTEINABUSH said:

    I enjoy both good messages and salty messages. I'm pretty casual so I do feel better when I get compliments as killer, and have a good laugh when I get salty messages

    @Babawizwiz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/252726/do-killers-enjoy-getting-nice-messages

    i definitely do especially when the praise you for winning with a bad killer

    I know I quoted a ######### ton of people, but thank you all for the feedback and your opinions! I’ll keep on sending the messages out and am even more excited about it now :)

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    Couldn't really say, played the game since release and never really got a nice message other than the 12ggs within that 4+years period

    I hope you’ll be getting more soon! Crazy that there’s so little people doing it

  • @deathcheetos said:

    Hey everyone,

    Probably a stupid question here, but I’m very new to the game (got it like last week but I’ve been playing a lot and ranking up fast), and I’ve been watching the forums and subreddit for a while now and I read a LOT of posts about toxic/mean survivors. So, to kinda combat or balance out the ######### people, I’ve been trying to send every killer I play against a nice message. I’m not able to message everyone since I’m on console, so when I can’t do that I try to friend them to show that I like/appreciate them.

    My question for the forum is; Do killers enjoy being nicely messaged and/or befriended?

    I’m doing it to try to spread positivity, but if it’s actually just annoying or an inconvenience to people I’ll have to reconsider.

    Some context info:

    sometimes killers message me back and then they’re always nice, but mostly they don’t reply.

    I send messages like: “Thanks for the game! :)” Or “You really steamrolled us hahah. Good job!”

    This has probably already been said (forgive me, I'm headed to bed soon and can't read all the replies) but most of the time you get "silence" regardless of which side you're speaking to, only because they've already likely jumped into their next game. Most people don't wait. I do, at least a few seconds at least, just to see. But then again I almost always say "gg" or sometimes "ty" for something specific or even a sentence specifying "just trying to finish a challenge, you guys enjoy your BP".

    Whenever someone does respond - as one person did this morning when he thanked me after I desperately tried to message everyone to let them know that I (as killer) didn't participate because one of their team was AFK the whole match - it does make me feel good. It makes me feel good as survivor as well. I like the sportsmanship, the politeness. I also always respond, it sometimes leads to a brief little conversation. Not often, but every once in a while.

    So don't ever hesitate to make a comment to someone after a match, you never know if you're going to make someone happy. As long as what you say is nice. :)

  • I don't know Morse Code. I don't have time to interpret crouch-spam

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/252726/do-killers-enjoy-getting-nice-messages

    This has probably already been said (forgive me, I'm headed to bed soon and can't read all the replies) but most of the time you get "silence" regardless of which side you're speaking to, only because they've already likely jumped into their next game. Most people don't wait. I do, at least a few seconds at least, just to see. But then again I almost always say "gg" or sometimes "ty" for something specific or even a sentence specifying "just trying to finish a challenge, you guys enjoy your BP".

    Whenever someone does respond - as one person did this morning when he thanked me after I desperately tried to message everyone to let them know that I (as killer) didn't participate because one of their team was AFK the whole match - it does make me feel good. It makes me feel good as survivor as well. I like the sportsmanship, the politeness. I also always respond, it sometimes leads to a brief little conversation. Not often, but every once in a while.

    So don't ever hesitate to make a comment to someone after a match, you never know if you're going to make someone happy. As long as what you say is nice. :)

    Very true! I always take a very tiny break to look at the stats and whatever before continuing, but I know a lot of people jump right into the new game like you said.

    So far I’ve never had a killer message me without me doing so first, so I think it’s great that you do that often. I’m sure most really appreciate it.

    Thank you for your response! I’ll definitely keep it nice, no salt will be coming from me hahah

  • I like having conversations after the match sometimes. If I just don't feel like it I drop a Gg and dip

  • I'm always pretty happy after getting a nice message for a change, or chat with a Survivor in after game chat that's nice and not a total Salt Lord, but that rarely ever happens. That's also a reason I play the PTBs so much, players on PTB are much nicer than the people I get on Live Servers.

    But I do also enjoy getting mean messages for some reason, every time I get a mean comment on my Steam Profile I'm almost happier than I am when I get nice comments, especially when the person writting it was something like a T-Bag Macro Tryhard.

  • @Nos37 said:

    I don't know Morse Code. I don't have time to interpret crouch-spam

    I just assume that most killers interpret crouching up and down as T-bagging, so I avoid doing that. Would be quite a skill if I could put some military grade message in a set of crouches tho

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Why wouldn't they?I'll take nice messages any day over toxic ones,nice or none at all than toxic.

    Some have said they just don’t like being messaged in general or might interpret it as sarcastic because they usually get hate. I’m glad you feel that way though! I thought so too, in most cases it can’t hurt

  • I like to message killers for numerous reasons. We've all seen a new nurse player learning maybe getting no hits or hooks, i like to tell them to keep at it and nurse is a learning curve and they will get better if you put the time in.

    I also message every killer using Blood Warden, they're the true gamers in our community and i like to tell them so.

  • @deathcheetos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2225111#Comment_2225111

    Very true! I always take a very tiny break to look at the stats and whatever before continuing, but I know a lot of people jump right into the new game like you said.

    So far I’ve never had a killer message me without me doing so first, so I think it’s great that you do that often. I’m sure most really appreciate it.

    Thank you for your response! I’ll definitely keep it nice, no salt will be coming from me hahah

    Thanks! I don't play killer very often (not that great yet, this really is a game of patience and practice) but with any luck you'll be against me sometime. You'll know it's me if the killer deliberately lets you escape and says something nice afterwards.

    And has the name "miketheratguy". XD

  • @gibblywibblywoo said:

    I like having conversations after the match sometimes. If I just don't feel like it I drop a Gg and dip

    Understandable! I’ve been throwing in more jokes or puns now and they seem to like that more than just a GG so I found my tactic... I think hahaha

  • @deathcheetos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2225116#Comment_2225116

    I just assume that most killers interpret crouching up and down as T-bagging, so I avoid doing that. Would be quite a skill if I could put some military grade message in a set of crouches tho

    If I want to send the killer a message, I either simply nod up and down at them several times (camera look up and down) or do a single, slightly long (2-3 second) "bow". Doing Hindu squats in front of them is definitely code for "screw you", LOL!

  • @DerZuntor said:

    I'm always pretty happy after getting a nice message for a change, or chat with a Survivor in after game chat that's nice and not a total Salt Lord, but that rarely ever happens. That's also a reason I play the PTBs so much, players on PTB are much nicer than the people I get on Live Servers.

    But I do also enjoy getting mean messages for some reason, every time I get a mean comment on my Steam Profile I'm almost happier than I am when I get nice comments, especially when the person writting it was something like a T-Bag Macro Tryhard.

    Lol I get that. It’s hilarious to see people exhaust themselves getting angry at a screen.

  • @HawkAyeTheNoo said:

    I like to message killers for numerous reasons. We've all seen a new nurse player learning maybe getting no hits or hooks, i like to tell them to keep at it and nurse is a learning curve and they will get better if you put the time in.

    I also message every killer using Blood Warden, they're the true gamers in our community and i like to tell them so.

    It’s great that you do that!

    God, I had my first match against a huntress with Blood Warden yesterday and I got so damn confused like what happened to the damn exit?! It’s quite an end move and caught me totally off guard this first time lol

  • You know, i've kept all my contacting to a "friends only" degree for a while now but this thread made me now open the dm's up again, so thanks for sending nice messages.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2225135#Comment_2225135

    Thanks! I don't play killer very often (not that great yet, this really is a game of patience and practice) but with any luck you'll be against me sometime. You'll know it's me if the killer deliberately lets you escape and says something nice afterwards.

    And has the name "miketheratguy". XD

    Hahaha let’s me escape AND nice? Sounds to good to be true.

    I really need to start learning to play killer properly, but the public matches are just ruthless :’)

    Hope I’ll bump into you some time! You sound like a fun person to play with/against.

  • @Digwiid said:

    You know, i've kept all my contacting to a "friends only" degree for a while now but this thread made me now open the dm's up again, so thanks for sending nice messages.

    That’s great! I’m so glad it had that effect. Hopefully I bump into you so I can be one of the first to slide a bad pun and a nice message your way

  • I like to get nice messages.

    Most of the time I go with gg, and wp if it was a nice match. But if survivors really impress me somehow (which is rare unfortunately) I can leave some nice words in post game chat and their steam profile.

  • @deathcheetos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2221545#Comment_2221545

    I hope you’ll be getting more soon! Crazy that there’s so little people doing it

    Well I play on xbox and eu, often that means getting hate lol especially at high level play regardless of the game. Must admit it's much better now, when the game first came out I use to get hate messages and false reports every 2 killer games but since crossplay I get less hate because they physically cant message lol. I guess people dont like to lose, I have never been a toxic player in any game so I dont understand the hate tbh, if just accepted most games will be filled with childish players

  • @deathcheetos said:

    Hey everyone,

    Probably a stupid question here, but I’m very new to the game (got it like last week but I’ve been playing a lot and ranking up fast), and I’ve been watching the forums and subreddit for a while now and I read a LOT of posts about toxic/mean survivors. So, to kinda combat or balance out the ######### people, I’ve been trying to send every killer I play against a nice message. I’m not able to message everyone since I’m on console, so when I can’t do that I try to friend them to show that I like/appreciate them.

    My question for the forum is; Do killers enjoy being nicely messaged and/or befriended?

    I’m doing it to try to spread positivity, but if it’s actually just annoying or an inconvenience to people I’ll have to reconsider.

    Some context info:

    sometimes killers message me back and then they’re always nice, but mostly they don’t reply.

    I send messages like: “Thanks for the game! :)” Or “You really steamrolled us hahah. Good job!”

    Better than salt. But i'm happy if they just say nothing or GG. What burns me is when survivors are salty because I didn't play precisely how they wanted.

  • @deathcheetos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2220018#Comment_2220018

    I think that’s fine! I would be very happy with it if it went that way. I was thinking of those killers who wait for you to crawl to the hatch while dancing on it, then close it, dance over your body and then hook you and hit you till you disappear. Like that’s just a little extra hahah

    Oh, yeah no I don't do that. I just hook and finish the game. Doing that is just an all around dick move lol. Although it's funny, so the other day I had a Ghostface game in Hawkins and I downed and killed everyone. Essentially I won, all I had to do was hook the Meg. But I felt like her and the team played a very good game and so I was gonna let her escape. After I downed her I let her wiggle off of me and she went to work on the last gen so she could escape. So I went and left her to it and walked away. So as I'm walking away, I hear the hatch sound and figure oh, hey that would be faster! So I can only imagine how this poor survivor felt when I came back and yoinked her off of the gen and started in the direction of a hook lol. But yeah I turned from the hook and walked in to the room next to it and set her down next to the hatch and let her go.

  • I'm on PS5, so I have had my messages turned off almost from the start of my playing the game a year ago. Ironically, it was a fellow survivor's profane rant to me about not going into the basement to save them against a face-camping Bubba that made me decide I didn't want to deal with people acting like a 10 year-old over a video game (especially when they're wrong, lol).

    I DO get some nice messages from survivors when I play killer, however. If someone has really outplayed me, or if I've given someone hatch because of how the game went, I'll often message them afterwards and send a friend request (I record for YT, so I'll also offer to share the match with them to see it from my perspective if they'd like). I've gotten a lot of great interaction with survivors that way, getting compliments on my play, thank yous for sparing them, and interest to see the match from my end so they can see how to improve their own gameplay. The interactions I've had that way has led me to make a lot of nice connections with people, and I've even found people to SWF with that way as well.

    I'm disappointed when I try to message a survivor to complement them and both their messages and friend requests are blocked, but I can only assume that they had similar experiences to what I had when I started and went the same route I did. It's a shame that the handful of people who are poor sports and immature individuals have to ruin things for the rest of us who aren't that way, but that's a sad byproduct of the faceless, impersonal internet, sadly.

  • I personally wouldn’t want someone to message me outside of the game or send me a friend request or anything but a post game chat message of “gg wp” is nice when it’s a good game. I’m on PC so post game chat is easy so that could be why I would find it strange where a console player wouldn’t.

    If I get my butt kicked then “gg wp” can feel sarcastic and condescending even if it isn’t meant that way but just a “gg” would be fine in that case. Idk I’ve had too many survivors harass me over the years to the point that now I just very quickly say “gg” and leave to avoid the onslaught but getting a nice message instead of hate in the post game chat is nice.

  • You should absolutely keep this up! ☺️Anything that any of us can do in this community to build positivity and encourage each other to play the game is valued and appreciated by all. I think it is especially helpful for new Killers or even Killers who are high level but played poorly - sometimes that's a veteran who is trying out a new playstyle or new Killer.

    It's absolutely worth taking the time to send a quick message.

  • I hardly know cause nobody ever messages me other than to call me a tunneler. But on the rare occasion that I have gotten nice messages complimenting my nurse it makes me feel like my 100 hours playing her hasn't been a waste of time so yeah.

  • It's a nice change of pace and when it has, rarely, happened to me I did enjoy it.

  • Think i have got 3-4 nice messages since i started playing from survivors. I personally would rather get nothing time is money I dont care what you got to say I want to start another game.

  • My personal favorite postgame message to send to the killer after they played a great match before EGC, when applicable, is "gg wp, you're good enough to lose the noed" :p

  • I love when I got matched against a full Xbox premade and I stomp them, because there are 100% chances of being texted by at least One of the members wishing good health and a nice day to me and all my family members.


    "GG" messages are boring, salty ones are the funny part of the game, the fuel to keep hunting survivors.

  • I take pictures when survivors (or killers when I play survivor) send nice messages because it's really awesome and makes me feel good to look back at when I'm getting a lot of hate for not being good at the game

  • Its my favorite part

  • It warms my heart.

1 2 ›