The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Shdw_Void said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2313412#Comment_2313412

    ps4 seems to be worse off at least compared to my experiences. the main triggers I have are exhaustion perks, certain killers using their power, and of course the good old fashioned sloppy butcher. That survivor clip was probably the first time I was teleported a significant distance. I may lose distance or get turned around from time to time. Never ever have I been thrust 10 feet into the killers face. It was certainly an out of body experience

    I play on PC only, but this thread has me really concerned for the health of the game. I know RCPD crashes weren't just confined to console, PC players were having it as well. If there's anything you need us on the PC side to help with, just say the word.

  • A new twist. For years now the game's menu has been a lagfest, in particular the bloodweb. When leveling Jill today into the 40's the web would hang once the last spot was taken. None of the left hand icons would work when clicked on, can't leave the web page, not even tapping "b" to back out.

    The only way I got out of the web was to click on the Archive. The autosave kicked in as it loaded the rift, and backing out of that brought me back to the web as the next level of the web loads. Rinse and repeat.

    Never ever had this happen before. Anyone else experiencing this?

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2312706#Comment_2312706

    Yeah I can't see that going wrong at all. Nope, no sir.

    The most optimised games out there get huge issues with RT. Can you imagine this game with RT? Oh my god, I guess its a good ad for nvidia when they come out with the 7090ti though

  • @gammatsunami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2312801#Comment_2312801

    The most optimised games out there get huge issues with RT. Can you imagine this game with RT? Oh my god, I guess its a good ad for nvidia when they come out with the 7090ti though

    I don't even think next gen could handle Ray tracing.

  • @Kryatin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2313470#Comment_2313470

    I play on PC only, but this thread has me really concerned for the health of the game. I know RCPD crashes weren't just confined to console, PC players were having it as well. If there's anything you need us on the PC side to help with, just say the word.

    Thank you. As someone who owns and has put some time on PC it is vastly superior in every way. It feels smooth and stable. Once upon a time the console version was semi stable. It was sometime around the plague where things dipped into instability. With each update it slowly became what fun we have today. If there's anything the PC people can do to help that would be very appreciated. With a current movement going around that I shall not name, there is hope that console dbd can be saved but I remain doubtful yet slightly hopeful.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    A new twist. For years now the game's menu has been a lagfest, in particular the bloodweb. When leveling Jill today into the 40's the web would hang once the last spot was taken. None of the left hand icons would work when clicked on, can't leave the web page, not even tapping "b" to back out.

    The only way I got out of the web was to click on the Archive. The autosave kicked in as it loaded the rift, and backing out of that brought me back to the web as the next level of the web loads. Rinse and repeat.

    Never ever had this happen before. Anyone else experiencing this?

    It's happened to me, and it's not a new bug. I had it happen months ago, and it's happened on multiple occasions. It's a royal pain in the rear when you're trying to move through a Bloodweb while being readied up in a lobby. 🤬

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    A new twist. For years now the game's menu has been a lagfest, in particular the bloodweb. When leveling Jill today into the 40's the web would hang once the last spot was taken. None of the left hand icons would work when clicked on, can't leave the web page, not even tapping "b" to back out.

    The only way I got out of the web was to click on the Archive. The autosave kicked in as it loaded the rift, and backing out of that brought me back to the web as the next level of the web loads. Rinse and repeat.

    Never ever had this happen before. Anyone else experiencing this?

    I've had that happen randomly for atleast a year now - think the trigger is from going through multiple bloodwebs on a character. If I hit the button that switches to next/previous character it'll let me back out. Usually restart game when it happens because if I try another bloodweb it'll freeze again. It's definitely obnoxious.

  • @Kryatin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2313470#Comment_2313470

    I play on PC only, but this thread has me really concerned for the health of the game. I know RCPD crashes weren't just confined to console, PC players were having it as well. If there's anything you need us on the PC side to help with, just say the word.

    Main thing is speak up with your experience with the performance issues you've come across. If you can share videos of the performance issues you have in here it will help show what players that are being hit with performance issues are experiencing. If you can't share videos then just adding to the discussion helps to keep this post alive so BHVR sees more are being vocal about not being happy with the state of the games performance and want something to be done to fix these issues. If you see posts about performance issues chime in with your experience so people can see more than just console want optimization to fix the performance issues in the game that are only getting worse.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    i would rather die to a full four (no, FIVE with a hostile red) man gank squad composed of nothing but spears, curved swords, and mcdonalds wifi mages in dks3 over and over again than play the game in its current state.

    Familiar?

    evSQvqmwoF2vDDnR6tnpVG.jpg

    Welcome to the PFC.

    (Pontiff Fight Club)

  • is anyone having an issue to where the game freezes then goes back to the main title??? Mine will say no network connection but my wifi is running perfectly fine.

  • @Jetsallday24x said:

    Everyone should be in favor of the boycott of this game. We all love the game, But if the devs don't care about the health of the game then we shouldn't care about putting money into it. Couldn't tell you how many times in the past 2 weeks as a console player I've died from frame rate drops. I payed for the new chapter and the map has been disabled for 2 weeks.

    I...agree.

    I love this game, and I want it to be better.

  • The funniest thing is the devs havent pinned this but its one of the most popular posts ive ever seen

  • @supersonic853 said:

    The funniest thing is the devs havent pinned this but its one of the most popular posts ive ever seen

    They don't want to advertise the fact that their game is very poorly optimised.

    Even though they should be supporting this thread as much as we our supporting their improvement of the game by providing experiences and evidence.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    The funniest thing is the devs havent pinned this but its one of the most popular posts ive ever seen

    They would have to respond to it or least acknowledge this problem exist and they simply cannot do that

  • @Nathan13 said:

    is anyone having an issue to where the game freezes then goes back to the main title??? Mine will say no network connection but my wifi is running perfectly fine.

    Oh yes been getting that one for years. Stream is still up, chat party is good if I'm in one, but it loses connection and I get that same message.

  • What happens in Pontiff Fight Club stays in Pontiff Fight Club, and maybe runs down the side of the building a lil...

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb96-olVlpk


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArk8Ss1MvE


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOru_Dg4Mc

    Welcome back to episode 5 of "Will My Xbox One S Finally Sizzle and Die?" Pretty standard stuff here. Frames dropped simply because I existed, Dead Hard actually gave me negative distance, and a survivor chose not to get hit by a hatchet. He said no and the Entity listened. The last clip is a semi rare occurrence of one of both sides being spared from fps hell. All in all, I think this giant forum post has done a pretty good job so far.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    i would rather die to a full four (no, FIVE with a hostile red) man gank squad composed of nothing but spears, curved swords, and mcdonalds wifi mages in dks3 over and over again than play the game in its current state.

    "They've got curved swords." - Whiterun Guard

    (I know that's not what the reference was, but it reminded me of this quote from Skyrim.)

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315788#Comment_2315788

    They would have to respond to it or least acknowledge this problem exist and they simply cannot do that

    Cannot, or willnot? Pretty sure it's the latter. It's way beyond a reasonable timeframe for a direct response.

  • I love how I can have no lag yet teleport all around the map and have fps drops into basically the negatives that cause the game to deny me hits. They really need to actually work on optimization because as much as they'd love to think otherwise, they will kill their game if optimization keeps getting worse and honestly it would be dead as is if it wasn't the only game in its genre.

  • I've just played battle feild 4 for hype of the new one and thought how can a game that's older more action and 64 people run better than this

  • @Shdw_Void said:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb96-olVlpk

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArk8Ss1MvE

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOru_Dg4Mc

    Welcome back to episode 5 of "Will My Xbox One S Finally Sizzle and Die?" Pretty standard stuff here. Frames dropped simply because I existed, Dead Hard actually gave me negative distance, and a survivor chose not to get hit by a hatchet. He said no and the Entity listened. The last clip is a semi rare occurrence of one of both sides being spared from fps hell. All in all, I think this giant forum post has done a pretty good job so far.

    Thanks can count on the pig players most of the time

  • Something tells me if we don't get a hotfix that actually fixes things today this thread will go into riot.

  • That was two consecutive freezes, that ######### is unacceptable... I'm lost for words.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Something tells me if we don't get a hotfix that actually fixes things today this thread will go into riot.

    Correct.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318027#Comment_2318027

    That was two consecutive freezes, that ######### is unacceptable... I'm lost for words.

    If you've paid any attention to their socials in the last few weeks this thread rioting will be the least of their issues.

    I just don't understand it's been proven time and time and again in the industry that radio silence on big issues only makes things snowball out of hand.

    1 dev popping up in this thread and explaining and acknowledging the console situation would do so much to calm people and garner understanding and patience.

    They never learn.

  • Todays the day then! gulp

    Anyone else nervously refreshing the forums and Twitter for the hotfix notes?

    Will it be great news and an evening of happy DbD times; or will I go curl up crying in bed after another night of misery and suffering for the 3rd week running? ;')

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    Todays the day then! gulp

    Anyone else nervously refreshing the forums and Twitter for the hotfix notes?

    Will it be great news and an evening of happy DbD times; or will I go curl up crying in bed after another night of misery and suffering for the 3rd week running? ;')

    it's 10:16 AM and I'm starting to get really nervous.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Something tells me if we don't get a hotfix that actually fixes things today this thread will go into riot.

    I have a feeling performance won't get fixed in today's hotfix, I hope I'm wrong but my gut is telling me not to hold my breath. I just hope anyone that comes to this thread remains civil while voicing their frustrations.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318113#Comment_2318113

    I have a feeling performance won't get fixed in today's hotfix, I hope I'm wrong but my gut is telling me not to hold my breath. I just hope anyone that comes to this thread remains civil while voicing their frustrations.

    it would just be a sad disappointment because the anniversary starts tomorrow.

  • @onemind said:

    I've just played battle feild 4 for hype of the new one and thought how can a game that's older more action and 64 people run better than this

    With all that destruction going on as well!

    There are way more technically demanding games, running a hell of a lot better.

    I don't think the hardware being dated is a good enough reason for DbD to run as poorly as it does on low end hardware.

  • update it's out but ummmm

  • RPD map still disabled, this is laughable it really is.

  • https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1409881986588684289?s=19

    At least they're acknowledging things and aren't, ya know, ignoring everything right now. There's something positive from this ordeal.

    There's still very slim hope.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318834#Comment_2318834

    RPD map still disabled, this is laughable it really is.

    wow... they better extend the anniversary or something. I have nothing else to say.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1409881986588684289?s=19

    At least they're acknowledging things and aren't, ya know, ignoring everything right now. There's something positive from this ordeal.

    There's still very slim hope.

    but the fact that RPD is still disabled 2 weeks after release is pathetic I'm sorry to say but it's embarrassing.

  • I just hope when they say the reduce the graphic fidelity on Switch, it doesn't mean "We made the maps even darker than they already are." Some maps on Switch are so dark that it's difficult to see whats in front of you.

  • Its not exactly what I wanted personally, but sounds like great news for Switch users!

    Hopefully they do the same for base consoles too and drop the quality to give us some frames back.

    Sounds like they've fixed the out of memory issue too which might help Xbox\PC people out?

    Still kind of hoping when I put it on to test that it actually feels better to play on base PS4 and that it just wasn't listed as a specific fix in the notes; though I'm pretty much expecting to be disappointed and SoL for the event at this point now.

    Honestly really please for Switch users though, with this update and the Tweet about crossprogression; things are really looking good for you guys unless there's something I'm missing? <3

  • I'm genuinely surprised they at least tried doing something to improve performance on Switch wow.

    That does give me a little bit of hope at least that optimization might be improved overall at some point for all platforms. Still not gonna get too excited yet though.

    • "Fixed an issue that could cause Nemesis's Tentacle strike to hit the Survivor through some of the windows and main buildings. "

    lmao Nemesis nerf.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    • "Fixed an issue that could cause Nemesis's Tentacle strike to hit the Survivor through some of the windows and main buildings. "

    lmao Nemesis nerf.

    Thats related to windows that are boarded up.

  • Screenshot_20210629-105731_Chrome.jpg

    Of the 12 crashes ive had, this woukd have fixed 3 of them fir sure. Its something i guess 🤷‍♂️

  • @Cancan71 said:

    I just hope when they say the reduce the graphic fidelity on Switch, it doesn't mean "We made the maps even darker than they already are." Some maps on Switch are so dark that it's difficult to see whats in front of you.

    I saw this on Twitter so it 'should' be good, I think? :)

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1409886992578617350?s=20


  • I've never felt this anxious installing a game update on my PS4 before....

  • Acknowledgement means little these days. They've acknowledged poor performance before, nothing has come of it. Forgive me if I'm not hopeful.

    RCPD still being disabled is ######### hysterical, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes back to current Consoles.

    No fixes for Nemesis, besides a bug that let him hit through windows like Deathslinger.

    I'll play a match or two real quick and update the thread afterwards. I haven't slept in 28+ hours so, I doubt I'll be enjoying myself regardless.

  • Oh #########, the Anniversary starts tomorrow and the game is still broken.

    Clown is broke.

    Nemesis has huge issues.

    Console is broken.

    RCPD is broken.

    PC is broken.

    Switch is broken.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Oh #########, the Anniversary starts tomorrow and the game is still broken.

    Clown is broke.

    Nemesis has huge issues.

    Console is broken.

    RCPD is broken.

    PC is broken.

    Switch is broken.

    noooo.jpg

    😥.

1 … 37 38 39 40 41 … 82