The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Cancan71 said:

    From my experience on Switch, at least the crashes have stopped. The frame drops and the very dark maps are still there.

    Does anyone else play on Switch? If so you must know that some maps are so dark you can barely see anything. I saw Ardetha's video on Switch and he did a comparison between PC and Switch. The difference between them was literally night and day. :p

    I knew things would be bad on Switch with my own experience with the game on a base PS4 since launch; but I didn't realise how severe it was on Switch until I saw that video :(

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wyKMdwRaSk&t=10s

    Here's the Ardetha video I mentioned in case this wasn't posted before. A nice gift to celebrate 60 pages.

  • 60 pages in!!

    Let’s shoot for 70? Maybe 100 pages?

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    60 pages in!!

    Let’s shoot for 70? Maybe 100 pages?

    If it gets to 100 that's not a good thing. I know people are excited the post is huge but it's not good it's gone on so long with no response. Really we shouldn't be pushing for page count because people will come in to spam bump to get up the page count instead of actually keeping the discussion going.

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    60 pages in!!

    Let’s shoot for 70? Maybe 100 pages?

    At this rate, we can definitely do it.

    I'm very confident this thread will not stop until the game becomes sufficiently optimised, this thread has definitely had an impact, but we have not reached our goal yet friends.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302802#Comment_2302802

    If it gets to 100 that's not a good thing. I know people are excited the post is huge but it's not good it's gone on so long with no response. Really we shouldn't be pushing for page count because people will come in to spam bump to get up the page count instead of actually keeping the discussion going.

    Thread length is not why people are commenting, this person is just showing their enthusiasm for the topic.

    We are fighting for sufficient optimisation for a game we like to play, it is not about the thread length. And people are not bumping the thread with random comments, the replies are mostly feedback and evidence of poor optimisation for the devs.

  • @Cancan71 said:

    From my experience on Switch, at least the crashes have stopped. The frame drops and the very dark maps are still there.

    Does anyone else play on Switch? If so you must know that some maps are so dark you can barely see anything. I saw Ardetha's video on Switch and he did a comparison between PC and Switch. The difference between them was literally night and day. :p

    I started a whole thread on it last week. Feel free to share your pain, because this needs to get fixed. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/257755/maps-too-dark-on-nintendo-switch

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302810#Comment_2302810

    Thread length is not why people are commenting, this person is just showing their enthusiasm for the topic.

    We are fighting for sufficient optimisation for a game we like to play, it is not about the thread length. And people are not bumping the thread with random comments, the replies are mostly feedback and evidence of poor optimisation for the devs.

    There have been quite a few just commenting on page count, only one page ago someone was spam bumping. The last big console thread one of the reasons it was closed was people just bumping the post rather than sticking to discussions even though majority was discussions. I don't want same here. Can be enthusiastic but keep to discussion.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302841#Comment_2302841

    There have been quite a few just commenting on page count, only one page ago someone was spam bumping. The last big console thread one of the reasons it was closed was people just bumping the post rather than sticking to discussions even though majority was discussions. I don't want same here. Can be enthusiastic but keep to discussion.

    I agree

    Please no spam bumping people, can't get this thread closed.

  • The thing is if they do close it so many people have seen this that they would make their own posts completely taking over the fourms and it would look bad if they are constantly closings threads over optimization

  • @onemind said:

    The thing is if they do close it so many people have seen this that they would make their own posts completely taking over the fourms and it would look bad if they are constantly closings threads over optimization

    bhvr are already on really thin ice right now. A combination of a year of disappointing patch after disappointing patch, seemingly prioritising all the wrong things, recent leaks I cannot discuss any further and more everyone at BHVR, including the moderators of the forums, need to tread carefully to avoid a community-wide outrage.

    Though, of course, the thread can easily be closed once the issues with console optimisation have been fixed.

  • @onemind said:

    The thing is if they do close it so many people have seen this that they would make their own posts completely taking over the fourms and it would look bad if they are constantly closings threads over optimization

    That's what happened last time. They closed big post, bunch of posts popped up that were angry which were then also closed or set to sink meaning even if you commented on the post it didn't rise back to top. Then they finally let one post be but after a bit it died after 20 something pages. This is first post since last summer that's gained some traction.

  • Just had my first match against a Doctor since the patch. It was brutal with the freezes. I'm just glad it wasn't on indoor map.

  • @bm33 said:

    Just had my first match against a Doctor since the patch. It was brutal with the freezes. I'm just glad it wasn't on indoor map.

    This is what I keep saying it's not just a nemmy issue exclusively it's an all killer issue I have got frame drops when I played pig lol

    It seems like they fixed the survivor side from what I saw of the matches I played of things but playing killer is a different story , did you do the software update bm33?

  • @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2303420#Comment_2303420

    This is what I keep saying it's not just a nemmy issue exclusively it's an all killer issue I have got frame drops when I played pig lol

    It seems like they fixed the survivor side from what I saw of the matches I played of things but playing killer is a different story , did you do the software update bm33?

    Oh it's definitely all killers, I've experienced it with every one of them - some are just worse than others.

    I wish it was fixed on my survivor side but it's not. My husband was watched couple of my survivor matches earlier and couldn't believe how bad it's freezing. I've told him but this just happened to be first time he saw, was during a match against a Clown and he was like "Seriously? Every bottle thrown freezes?" and I was like yup, anytime a killer uses their power...

    My software is all up to date. Not sure what's up that some people it fixed issues while others it didn't. Also Sony must've changed something in their firmware if people were able to play online games without updating, it used to be you'd get error messages if you tried to play an online game without having your system up to date.

  • @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2303420#Comment_2303420

    This is what I keep saying it's not just a nemmy issue exclusively it's an all killer issue I have got frame drops when I played pig lol

    It seems like they fixed the survivor side from what I saw of the matches I played of things but playing killer is a different story , did you do the software update bm33?

    Twins is really bad for me, Ghostface isn't as bad and I presume its because of having a simpler power; I wasn't stalking though really.

    I feel map plays a part in it as well with some locations being worse than others; Yamaoka is severe but I had a game or 2 on Suffocation Pit that didn't seem as bad.

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2303643#Comment_2303643

    Twins is really bad for me, Ghostface isn't as bad and I presume its because of having a simpler power; I wasn't stalking though really.

    I feel map plays a part in it as well with some locations being worse than others; Yamaoka is severe but I had a game or 2 on Suffocation Pit that didn't seem as bad.

    I played as Ghostface once after the first patch. I was on Ormond and had such a bad freeze when I used his power. I didn't use it again the rest of the match.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302888#Comment_2302888

    bhvr are already on really thin ice right now. A combination of a year of disappointing patch after disappointing patch, seemingly prioritising all the wrong things, recent leaks I cannot discuss any further and more everyone at BHVR, including the moderators of the forums, need to tread carefully to avoid a community-wide outrage.

    Though, of course, the thread can easily be closed once the issues with console optimisation have been fixed.

    The fact that PC is now also experiencing the issues Console has faced for years doesn't help.

  • Crash number 9, autohaven again

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302904#Comment_2302904

    The fact that PC is now also experiencing the issues Console has faced for years doesn't help.

    No it really doesn't

  • Just hopped on for tonight and decided to play some Blight. What a horrible mistake.

    Literally every single time I used my power, the game lagged. Pissed me off so I ended up rage quitting. (Note, when I say "rage quit", I didn't d/c, just got off dbd after the match ended.)

    I really don't why I bother with this game anymore.

  • At least the amount of people saying "this isn't real" or "it doesn't affect much" has gone down.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2302904#Comment_2302904

    The fact that PC is now also experiencing the issues Console has faced for years doesn't help.

    luckily the pc have problems otherwise they will not care, they say played on console (the devs) but it is false, they only played on pc so fortunately the lag we reach the pc otherwise we would have nothing to fix the problem, they would have to make different updates but compatible between console and pc

  • I feel like this hotfix made it even worse? I didn't have half of the issues before it as I have now.

    And the event is almost here, I have a very bad feeling about this

  • @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2303420#Comment_2303420

    This is what I keep saying it's not just a nemmy issue exclusively it's an all killer issue I have got frame drops when I played pig lol

    It seems like they fixed the survivor side from what I saw of the matches I played of things but playing killer is a different story , did you do the software update bm33?

    Survivor is working for you? Wow, that's lucky. I cant count how many gens i've blown tonight due to the killer using their power/attacking while im doin a skillcheck.

  • @ggallinftw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2303643#Comment_2303643

    Survivor is working for you? Wow, that's lucky. I cant count how many gens i've blown tonight due to the killer using their power/attacking while im doin a skillcheck.

    Yeah loads of things are causing freezes in my survivor experience...

    Gens popping, gens being damaged, survivors getting hooked and unhooked, getting hit with sloppy...

    Also i decided to run dead hard one match, that was a mistake, never again until the freezes are fixed.

  • @Joshtron said:

    Given that I'm not the best killer, probably not even decent, I do feel that the performance is what's hindering my gameplay a lot of the time.

    I know that the Switch isn't on par with last gen consoles, but a smooth gaming experience should be mandatory, otherwise it's pointless to have the game on this platform. Clearly there are devs who want to make the game better. Give them the resources they need, please.

    It's a shame how Doom Eternal runs infinitely better than a goddamn hide and seek 4v1 game

  • The constant stuttering on low graphics is incredibly annoying. I can't even imagine how bad it must be on consoles which seem to be locked at high/ultra graphics.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2301345#Comment_2301345

    It's a shame how Doom Eternal runs infinitely better than a goddamn hide and seek 4v1 game

    True

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2304660#Comment_2304660

    Yeah loads of things are causing freezes in my survivor experience...

    Gens popping, gens being damaged, survivors getting hooked and unhooked, getting hit with sloppy...

    Also i decided to run dead hard one match, that was a mistake, never again until the freezes are fixed.

    I hear ya. I mostly have to rely on my instincts now because the killer basically doesn't have a swing animation anymore due to the freezing everytime he swings.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    The constant stuttering on low graphics is incredibly annoying. I can't even imagine how bad it must be on consoles which seem to be locked at high/ultra graphics.

    Yes console is indeed locked on Ultra. Just having the option to lower it would give us a way to get back significant performance.

    Sadly we do not.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2301345#Comment_2301345

    It's a shame how Doom Eternal runs infinitely better than a goddamn hide and seek 4v1 game

    Yeah one is 5 years old now...

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2304900#Comment_2304900

    Yes console is indeed locked on Ultra. Just having the option to lower it would give us a way to get back significant performance.

    Sadly we do not.

    I think it's on high, not ultra. There are a lot of missing effects from PC's on Ultra.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2304997#Comment_2304997

    I think it's on high, not ultra. There are a lot of missing effects from PC's on Ultra.

    I think you may have mentioned before, but lowering some of the particle effects etc should go a long way to improving overall smoothness and stability.

    I'm thinking about those fire barrels or how the new pallets\walls shatter into tiny fragments; I would take some simplified effects of graphics in certain cases if it meant performance would increase. I would think this would be something done for the Switch version at least, where some small sacrifices in graphic quality would compensate somewhat for the hardware limitations.

    I would even wait longer for the new content after it has released on PC and can be modified to work more efficiently on consoles, maybe even by a separate small team dedicated to console QoL; some small changes would make an enormous difference.

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2305029#Comment_2305029

    I think you may have mentioned before, but lowering some of the particle effects etc should go a long way to improving overall smoothness and stability.

    I'm thinking about those fire barrels or how the new pallets\walls shatter into tiny fragments; I would take some simplified effects of graphics in certain cases if it meant performance would increase. I would think this would be something done for the Switch version at least, where some small sacrifices in graphic quality would compensate somewhat for the hardware limitations.

    I would even wait longer for the new content after it has released on PC and can be modified to work more efficiently on consoles, maybe even by a separate small team dedicated to console QoL; some small changes would make an enormous difference.

    I'd be all for them taking extra time for console before releasing new content but because of crossplay they need to put new content out at same time on all platforms. 😔

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2304660#Comment_2304660

    Yeah loads of things are causing freezes in my survivor experience...

    Gens popping, gens being damaged, survivors getting hooked and unhooked, getting hit with sloppy...

    Also i decided to run dead hard one match, that was a mistake, never again until the freezes are fixed.

    Anytime a survivor uses dead hard my game loses its mind and more often than not the survivor just disappears

  • I've never taken a break before. Of all the issues with the game. I've never taken a break before. But, when I couldn't play because of the simplest things. I stopped. I'm sad and disappointed. This is one of my favorite games and the fact I can't even play it is awful.

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    I've never taken a break before. Of all the issues with the game. I've never taken a break before. But, when I couldn't play because of the simplest things. I stopped. I'm sad and disappointed. This is one of my favorite games and the fact I can't even play it is awful.

    I can't blame you for taking a break right now.

    The game isn't really fun.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2305673#Comment_2305673

    I can't blame you for taking a break right now.

    The game isn't really fun.

    I'd like to play Nemesis, but it's not possible when your game freezes every time you use your power. Let's pray for the OMEGA hotfix and Mid-Chapter.

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    I've never taken a break before. Of all the issues with the game. I've never taken a break before. But, when I couldn't play because of the simplest things. I stopped. I'm sad and disappointed. This is one of my favorite games and the fact I can't even play it is awful.

    I hear ya fam. I haven't been playing much in the last few weeks either, very little killer when I do.

    Used to rock it for hours every day, but in the last year or so it has dwindled, very much in ratio to our frame rates actually.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2305673#Comment_2305673

    I hear ya fam. I haven't been playing much in the last few weeks either, very little killer when I do.

    Used to rock it for hours every day, but in the last year or so it has dwindled, very much in ratio to our frame rates actually.

    Pray foe the OMEGA hotfix and Mid-Chapter.

  • Whats this omega hotfix i keep seeing?

  • The ultimate hotfix that could bring balance to this game that has always been denied it's potential.

  • Gunna take a mighty thick rug for that kind of prayin

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2306486#Comment_2306486

    The ultimate hotfix that could bring balance to this game that has always been denied it's potential.

    Tell me........ that patch.........is it.........................

    ... the chosen one?

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2306493#Comment_2306493

    Tell me........ that patch.........is it.........................

    ... the chosen one?

    The chosen once it is said it would bring balance to the DBD. Many speculate it as a myth. But, few hold out hope.

  • PS_App_20210624_080845.jpeg

    Is this a joke? Put me back into Rank 4 and then it changed into a pip loss for some reason and back to 5

  • @Paul0121 said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/MZJ3VBZQUAQA/ps-app-20210624-080845.jpeg

    Is this a joke? Put me back into Rank 4 and then it changed into a pip loss for some reason and back to 5

    You should add that to this post about pips that's in the bug report section: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/249701/pips-bugged#latest

  • I will do, thanks. Feels so sour

  • UHM WHEN DID THIS GET 61 PAGES WHAT.

    This reminds me of the old thread that got closed with 31 pages.

    Also yea, this is the first time in a very long time I do not want to play the game.

1 … 34 35 36 37 38 … 82