Slugging is necessary! Blame the game!

You can all complain about slugging all you want, but the truth of the matter is the way this game is designed means at red ranks (even purple ranks) a killer has 3 choices when it comes to approaching load out and match strategy.

1) Slow repairs down as much as possible in a literal, direct way.

2) Find as many ways as possible to keep survivors that are out of a chase either indisposed or as preoccupied as possible with other tasks.

3) Find ways to save as much time as possible. Usually shortened chase times, and shortened times between ending one chase and finding a new survivor.

None of the above are exclusive of each other. A killer can be doing a combination of any of the above, or specialise in one approach only. Slugging falls in the middle of 1 & 2. It’s a pretty much mandatory approach when a killer has too few tools to do the direct gen slow down/direct gen pressure strategy, or simply chooses not to do an obnoxious “forever repair” approach.

You can complain how “boring” or “toxic” slugging is all you like. You know what’s “boring” for killers? 4 gens popping in the space of only 2 short chases and 2 hooks. I’m not blaming the survivors directly. The game allows you to do this. It allows you to do obnoxious, infuriating stuff like tap a regressing gen mid chase. It takes 15ish seconds to carry someone to a hook, and an unhook is done in an instant. 15 seconds is actually a lot of time in DBD to NOT be looking for another survivor to chase.

So sorry, but with the way the game allows survivors to play this game, Killers have to either slow down gens, waste your time, or slug a lot.

Pick your poison.

Comments

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1812394#Comment_1812394

    You are probably the kind of person who complains that people "camp" on CoD or "spam fireballs" in Street Fighter.

    Idk y this comment made me lmao

  • Try having fun not at someone’s expense

  • It depends. I don't mind slugging when there's a good tactical reason to do it but going against a killer who just does it just to be horrible and toxic about it can be just the worst.

    I admittedly do get really annoyed when a killer slugs for the 4k when there's 2 survivors left. It just drags the game out so unnecessarily long and with the end game collapse being a thing, it just feels so pointless. Just let the game end and move on to the next one please

  • @RelentlessShadows009 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813285#Comment_1813285

    What I do as jane is I typically run boil over, flip flop, tenacity and boil over. If its freddy map and the basement isn't in the school, I make that my safe spot. It's nearly impossible to get me out of there. It can be done, killers just have to work for it.

    I call it the Booty Wiggle Special.

    Best meme-build name 2020 hahaha

  • Gens complete too fast to not slug. Ultimately the game is all about action economy. The economy says, you need to spend your actions applying maximum m pressure. The game is balanced around maximum pressure. If you are at maximum pressure, then gens will still get done if you don't clear people off the field, just at a rate where you can do something about it.

    As long as it costs as much and risks as much as it does to hook a downed survivor, of you have another survivor target, the action economy says the maximum pressure is smacking or chasing another survivor. Especially given all the info you give them with the free aura as the person is being hooked for 10s. That's the end of the story.

    There is no morals or high ground or polite play or whatever. There is only game balance and how harsh gen completion rates are. The fact that survivors complain about it is evidence that it works. If you don't like it, make unbreakable permanent and standard (but slower) and slow down gen completion to balance it.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813705#Comment_1813705

    If there was clear evidence that a third or fourth survivor was in the area, yeah, what’s the problem?

    The killers goal is to chase, down, and eventually hook survivors. If the killer has no need to leave the area because the survivors have already come to the area, then the killer is stupid for not leaving that slug on the ground and searching the immediate area for those other survivors.

    Once again it's situational. If it's endgame or ur in a terrible position sometimes making those plays and find a third or fourth survivor is the thing to do. When people do it at 5 gens and force the hooked person into second stage, it's literally just an excuse to soft camp. Not mentioning names but there are a few streamers who do this and claim it's "tactical". No, it's just finding an excuse to force someone out of the game.

    At the end of the game, the entity is pleased by hooks, not if you can 4man slug everyone at 5 gens.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813705#Comment_1813705

    And sometimes I don’t need to see or hear evidence of another survivor nearby.

    If I remember there was someone in the lobby with a Flashlight, and that isn’t whoever who was hooked or slugged, you’re damn right I’m leaving someone slugged to go look around for them nearby because those sorts of survivors are stupidly predictable.

    That's totally understandable when someone with a flashlight is nearby and you go and chase them, but say you smack the flashlight survivor and then you come back to the hook and then wait until the hooked person either second stages or dies, that's just scummy.

    Once again it's situational, taking advantage of an opportunity to force someone out of the game by camping or proxying is not skillful.

  • @thefallenloser said:

    " It takes 15ish seconds to carry someone to a hook, and an unhook is done in an instant."

    This argument makes literally no sense because it assumes that the person is standing directly next to the hook as soon as you hook them, when in reality, it actually takes longer on average for survivors to unhook considering the fact that the time doing nothing but running over to the hook (especially when there are no comms or Kindred) far greater than the time taken for killers to hook.

    I wish people on the forums would stop pretending like they know what they're talking about only to immediately shove in an extremely hyperbolic argument and expect to be taken seriously.

    I didn’t explicitly state an unhook is done immediately upon hooking. I simply mean the actual action itself.

    What you described is required by a team mate whether someone else is hooked or slugged, except there’s the potential assisting a slug could take longer depending on their recovery progress.

  • @notameatybassriff98 said:

    Slugging isn't really useful unless you need to negate ds, and even then unbreakable exists and thus can completely remove your pressure. Also its way better to just hook, as it puts progress into the sacrifice and gives more bp

    Survivors can only use DS and Unbreakable once each. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.

  • Please don't post as if this applies to everyone in the community. We're not a hive mind. Sorry your games mostly comprise of SWF tryhards but that's more people not understanding the point of the game. Speedrunning isn't fun, for either side.

  • @Withered8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813736#Comment_1813736

    That's totally understandable when someone with a flashlight is nearby and you go and chase them, but say you smack the flashlight survivor and then you come back to the hook and then wait until the hooked person either second stages or dies, that's just scummy.

    Once again it's situational, taking advantage of an opportunity to force someone out of the game by camping or proxying is not skillful.

    Camping is an entirely different issue. Sometimes it’s simply a scummy thing to do. Sometimes it’s the right thing to do. If I’ve had 2 or 3 immediate unhooks within about 5 seconds of hooking someone, I’ll camp the next hook because it’s abundantly clear I don’t need to waste time looking for other survivors if they’re already there.

  • @Terra92 said:

    Please don't post as if this applies to everyone in the community. We're not a hive mind. Sorry your games mostly comprise of SWF tryhards but that's more people not understanding the point of the game. Speedrunning isn't fun, for either side.

    Huh?

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1814084#Comment_1814084

    Camping is an entirely different issue. Sometimes it’s simply a scummy thing to do. Sometimes it’s the right thing to do. If I’ve had 2 or 3 immediate unhooks within about 5 seconds of hooking someone, I’ll camp the next hook because it’s abundantly clear I don’t need to waste time looking for other survivors if they’re already there.

    Right, but what if you slugged someone near a hook and used that to justify a proxy on the hook/slug. Is that scummy?

  • Thanks. Something good had to happen this year.

  • @Withered8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1814196#Comment_1814196

    Right, but what if you slugged someone near a hook and used that to justify a proxy on the hook/slug. Is that scummy?

    Let me put it this way.

    If I have no idea or suspicions where the other 2 survivors are, I’m going to go look for them because I don’t want to be willingly give them repair time.

    If however I see scratch marks nearby, or crow activity nearby, I’m not leaving the area and will actively search for whoever that was.

  • @Withered8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813734#Comment_1813734

    Once again it's situational. If it's endgame or ur in a terrible position sometimes making those plays and find a third or fourth survivor is the thing to do. When people do it at 5 gens and force the hooked person into second stage, it's literally just an excuse to soft camp. Not mentioning names but there are a few streamers who do this and claim it's "tactical". No, it's just finding an excuse to force someone out of the game.

    At the end of the game, the entity is pleased by hooks, not if you can 4man slug everyone at 5 gens.

    Dending on the killer the the situations for me are near constant. Some killers I will run spies from the shadows. If it goes of while I'm still near the hook, I have a look around.

    The question now becomes would I be anything negative for using that perk if the end result is circumstantial camping? The answer is no.

  • I’ll never understand survivors who complain about tactical slugging. Leaving someone to bleed out just for the sake of it, yeah, that’s unnecessary. Builds designed to slug everyone all the time can be awful. Even slugging for the 4K is tedious. But half the time when I get complaints that I slugged it’s because the survivors made slugging a no-brainer choice for me.

    If I down someone and then hear an injured survivor crying in a bush nearby, am I supposed to ignore it? Or if I’m playing Hag and someone triggers a trap, should I just not use my power? If someone steps in my Trapper trap, or if one of my perks lights up to let me know that a gen nearby is about to pop, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage for no good reason if I didn’t slug at that point. I don’t expect the survivors to ignore a potential advantage if they want to win so why would I hamstring myself?

    It’s easy most of the time to not let the killer slug. Heal up, separate, run the killer away from your team if chased. Mass slugging usually only happens when my teammates play extremely dumb, in my experience.

    But I’ll probably continue to get those “-rep slugging” messages until the day the game dies.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    I’ll never understand survivors who complain about tactical slugging. Leaving someone to bleed out just for the sake of it, yeah, that’s unnecessary. Builds designed to slug everyone all the time can be awful. Even slugging for the 4K is tedious. But half the time when I get complaints that I slugged it’s because the survivors made slugging a no-brainer choice for me.

    If I down someone and then hear an injured survivor crying in a bush nearby, am I supposed to ignore it? Or if I’m playing Hag and someone triggers a trap, should I just not use my power? If someone steps in my Trapper trap, or if one of my perks lights up to let me know that a gen nearby is about to pop, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage for no good reason if I didn’t slug at that point. I don’t expect the survivors to ignore a potential advantage if they want to win so why would I hamstring myself?

    It’s easy most of the time to not let the killer slug. Heal up, separate, run the killer away from your team if chased. Mass slugging usually only happens when my teammates play extremely dumb, in my experience.

    But I’ll probably continue to get those “-rep slugging” messages until the day the game dies.

    This is a good point.

    I get most of these claims of toxicity without basis from teams doing ye ol’ no heal strategy.

    Sorry, but they’re making it too easy to slug in succession when you won’t heal, and think I can’t hear you nearby after downing someone else.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/212788/slugging-is-necessary-blame-the-game

    to be fair, you don't actually need to do any of these, you just need to do them if you want to get 4ks consistently

    Yes? By that you mean, of course, if the Killer is playing to win. If they are just there to be a Bot for the Survivors, sure. they don't have to do any of those things.

  • @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1812090#Comment_1812090

    Yes? By that you mean, of course, if the Killer is playing to win. If they are just there to be a Bot for the Survivors, sure. they don't have to do any of those things.

    I can't read this

  • Weak killers make me sad

  • @monstermaster42 said:

    Weak killers make me sad

    Good for you.

    Thats not relevant to this conversation though.

  • @monstermaster42 said:

    Weak killers make me sad

    You obviously don't need to slug/camp/tunnel/3-gen etc. - on rank 20.

  • Unless you're Nurse or Spirit, you can only 4K against very good survivors by tunnelling, patrolling or slugging.

    Out of those three, slugging is the lesser of the evils generally and expecting the killer to not do these three strategies is having the expectation of the killer willingly losing the game.

  • @Withered8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813356#Comment_1813356

    So if you downed someone near a hooked survivor, you would slug them and then proxy until someone comes in the for save? Rather than just hooking the downed survivor and playing from there? What is this some sort of esports tournamnet where you have to force death on ppl?

    Imagine trying to kill people in a game about killing people! what nerves! If I do say so MYSELF!

  • @Buckoben said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813705#Comment_1813705

    Imagine trying to kill people in a game about killing people! what nerves! If I do say so MYSELF!

    This is where people are mislead tho. The game isn't about killing people, it's about hooking and pleasing the entity. Don't believe me? Emblem system proves it itself.

  • I often like to spread pressure, so I do slug especially if I spot someone else nearby after getting a down.


  • @Withered8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1815951#Comment_1815951

    This is where people are mislead tho. The game isn't about killing people, it's about hooking and pleasing the entity. Don't believe me? Emblem system proves it itself.

    No the game is about killing to use your logic they are called killers so of course they are going to kill, but to use better logic most if not all PvP games are about killing people. The emblem system doesn't even know what it wants so that point is moot.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1815813#Comment_1815813

    Good for you.

    Thats not relevant to this conversation though.

    Weak killers have to slug, they have to camp, they have to tunnel, so yes it's very relevant, the game can be won without resorting to rank 20 noob tactics, but if one leads to an easy win then by god the weak players will flock to it, because they are not good enough to play any other way, therefore they are a weak killer, therefore weak killers make me sad 🙂

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    You can all complain about slugging all you want, but the truth of the matter is the way this game is designed means at red ranks (even purple ranks) a killer has 3 choices when it comes to approaching load out and match strategy.

    1) Slow repairs down as much as possible in a literal, direct way.

    2) Find as many ways as possible to keep survivors that are out of a chase either indisposed or as preoccupied as possible with other tasks.

    3) Find ways to save as much time as possible. Usually shortened chase times, and shortened times between ending one chase and finding a new survivor.

    None of the above are exclusive of each other. A killer can be doing a combination of any of the above, or specialise in one approach only. Slugging falls in the middle of 1 & 2. It’s a pretty much mandatory approach when a killer has too few tools to do the direct gen slow down/direct gen pressure strategy, or simply chooses not to do an obnoxious “forever repair” approach.

    You can complain how “boring” or “toxic” slugging is all you like. You know what’s “boring” for killers? 4 gens popping in the space of only 2 short chases and 2 hooks. I’m not blaming the survivors directly. The game allows you to do this. It allows you to do obnoxious, infuriating stuff like tap a regressing gen mid chase. It takes 15ish seconds to carry someone to a hook, and an unhook is done in an instant. 15 seconds is actually a lot of time in DBD to NOT be looking for another survivor to chase.

    So sorry, but with the way the game allows survivors to play this game, Killers have to either slow down gens, waste your time, or slug a lot.

    Pick your poison.


    haha

    While I 100% agree the game is survivor favor, thinking you have to slug to win is justifying your need to play toxic. but hey, if rank matters to you, that is a problem we can't solve.

  • well, once ds and unbreakable are used, then you have no excuse to slug unless you need pressure

  • Gen rushing is necessary! Blame the game!

  • but if you wanna go there, this game isn't competitive, wasn't made to be either so sweating for the 4k or genrushing is really just a way to get people to hate you. Slugging isn't NECESSARY but it is certainly an amazing tactic that could help win matches, But like i said, this game is CASUAL, so there basically no reason to do it outside of needing pressure or just out of being a jerk

  • Also it does not always take 15 seconds to hook someone lol. It usually doesn't take anywhere near that because there's hooks every 6 feet

  • If some people can play killer and never ever slug, good on them, congrats. Being able to slug is purposefully part of the game, though. The game is designed with slugging as one of its mechanics. If slugging weren't meant to be a thing, survivors would always be able to pick themselves up, no Unbreakable necessary. Instead, being able to pick yourself up 100% of the time comes with high risk (Soul Guard only works if the killer has a hex) or a high penalty (being broken all match).

    I mean, I'm not trying to be overly simplistic here, but it's the truth. Things aren't kept in with the intent of them not being part of the game. Totems weren't added so they could be ignored, they're there as a second objective, and when NOED wasn't working and increasing the point gain didn't work, Undying came into the game to say "Hey, look at me! Dull totems exist! Stop saying you should be able to ignore us!" Now, killers aren't meant to leave survivors to bleed out, that's why they only get 50 crappy BP for it, but slugging is there, killers and perks are designed around the existence of slugging. And because the game is designed with slugging as a regular mechanic, refusing to ever slug will inevitably cost the killer games. Not every game, obviously, but there will be times when slugging would have been the right choice and refusing to slug results in survivors escaping.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    If some people can play killer and never ever slug, good on them, congrats. Being able to slug is purposefully part of the game, though. The game is designed with slugging as one of its mechanics. If slugging weren't meant to be a thing, survivors would always be able to pick themselves up, no Unbreakable necessary. Instead, being able to pick yourself up 100% of the time comes with high risk (Soul Guard only works if the killer has a hex) or a high penalty (being broken all match).

    I mean, I'm not trying to be overly simplistic here, but it's the truth. Things aren't kept in with the intent of them not being part of the game. Totems weren't added so they could be ignored, they're there as a second objective, and when NOED wasn't working and increasing the point gain didn't work, Undying came into the game to say "Hey, look at me! Dull totems exist! Stop saying you should be able to ignore us!" Now, killers aren't meant to leave survivors to bleed out, that's why they only get 50 crappy BP for it, but slugging is there, killers and perks are designed around the existence of slugging. And because the game is designed with slugging as a regular mechanic, refusing to ever slug will inevitably cost the killer games. Not every game, obviously, but there will be times when slugging would have been the right choice and refusing to slug results in survivors escaping.

    Thank you

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1813788#Comment_1813788

    I didn’t explicitly state an unhook is done immediately upon hooking. I simply mean the actual action itself.

    What you described is required by a team mate whether someone else is hooked or slugged, except there’s the potential assisting a slug could take longer depending on their recovery progress.

    Then the same argument can be made for the other side. "Hooking is done in an instant." Do you see the problem with that argument now? Both actions take about the same amount of time, so painting it as one sided makes no sense.

  • @thefallenloser said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1814182#Comment_1814182

    Then the same argument can be made for the other side. "Hooking is done in an instant." Do you see the problem with that argument now? Both actions take about the same amount of time, so painting it as one sided makes no sense.

    Either way you’re missing the point entirely. The time spent carrying someone is actually a long time to not be looking for another chase. Yes, a survivor needing to leave a gen to do a save also consumes time, but they have a little assurance that they can cross their fingers that the other 2 survivors are hopefully still on gens.

1 2 ›