CMV: The first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans

I don't like these CMV threads, but I felt the format was appropriate since I am actually looking for an outside perspective.

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like the BTs get thrown to the wayside, as it were, when it comes to LGBT discussions. 95% of the time it's about LGs, if not just Gs. Among BTs, Bs in particular are ignored or portrayed as lunatics who want to have sex with everyone. Bi erasure is quite common, even among the LGBT community, and we all know what Ts go through.

For these reasons, IMO, the first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans.

EDIT: If you "don't care", then this thread is not for you.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • No one cares about that.

  • @Healthore77992 said:

    No one cares about that.

    Representation is important, and people (maybe not you) absolutely care about it.

  • @Healthore77992 said:

    No one cares about that.

    Wrong, I care, just like the person said above, representation is important

  • Personally I don't go into a game looking to be represented. In fact I do the opposite.

    I go into games looking to be someone other than myself because it takes the edge off of my current problems.

    Edit: plus, when this game let's me be a Ketamine infused goblin who headbutts walls, why would I want to be myself?

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Representation is important, and people (maybe not you) absolutely care about it.

    The funny thing is that I don't care about representation, but I feel that it would be done better if it focused on the BTs, who are typically overlooked, instead of the LGs, who are almost always the main focus.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Representation is important, and people (maybe not you) absolutely care about it.

    @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Wrong, I care, just like the person said above, representation is important

    How is that even important in this game? You can always pretend that character is lgbt

  • @chieften333 said:

    Personally I don't go into a game looking to be represented. In fact I do the opposite.

    I go into games looking to be someone other than myself. Because it takes the edge off of my current problems.

    I go into a game to be entertained, but if customization is available, I always go for a character that is as close to me (or an idealized version of myself) as possible.

  • Ahh yes "pretend the people are LGBT" instead of just assuming everyone is straight, like all the straight people do.

    this is exactly why representation is important, LGBT+ aren't "pretend" they're real.

  • Isn't this the opposite of a lot of complaints that are happening recently? LGs are feeling that the BTs are dominating every issue.

  • @Orion said:

    I don't like these CMV threads, but I felt the format was appropriate since I am actually looking for an outside perspective.

    Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like the BTs get thrown to the wayside, as it were, when it comes to LGBT discussions. 95% of the time it's about LGs, if not just Gs. Among BTs, Bs in particular are ignored or portrayed as lunatics who want to have sex with everyone. Bi erasure is quite common, even among the LGBT community, and we all know what Ts go through.

    For these reasons, IMO, the first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans.

    This is cool and all but this is gonna go down two ways. The devs do it and people are upset it sint exactly how they want it. Or they go with stereotypes of how bisexual/trans act. Oh and one last thing their sexuality will be their entire character.

    Me personally I wasnt going into this game looking to figure who likes who, or who's gay or straight, but I guess I can understand why people want this.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801718#Comment_1801718

    Ahh yes "pretend the people are LGBT" instead of just assuming everyone is straight, like all the straight people do.

    this is exactly why representation is important, LGBT+ aren't "pretend" they're real.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't remember in any of the characters lore that is specifically told that they are straight?

  • @Terro said:

    Isn't this the opposite of a lot of complaints that are happening recently? LGs are feeling that the BTs are dominating every issue.

    Since when? Ts, maybe, but bi erasure is still very much present.

    @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/211735/cmv-the-first-confirmed-lgbt-character-should-be-either-bisexual-or-trans

    This is cool and all but this is gonna go down two ways. The devs do it and people are upset it sint exactly how they want it. Or they go with stereotypes of how bisexual/trans act. Oh and one last thing their sexuality will be their entire character.

    Me personally I wasnt going into this game looking to figure who likes who, or who's gay or straight, but I guess I can understand why people want this.

    I think they'll do it well, but bad-faith actors will try to make it seem like they didn't.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/211735/cmv-the-first-confirmed-lgbt-character-should-be-either-bisexual-or-trans

    This is cool and all but this is gonna go down two ways. The devs do it and people are upset it sint exactly how they want it. Or they go with stereotypes of how bisexual/trans act. Oh and one last thing their sexuality will be their entire character.

    Me personally I wasnt going into this game looking to figure who likes who, or who's gay or straight, but I guess I can understand why people want this.

    So it being fine isnt even an option? You sure are open minded.

  • Who cares?

    Honestly. This is a game about people (and Demogorgon) being taken to another plain of reality to be forced into a death game over and over forever. No part of this game includes people wanting to have sex with anyone else. The farthest we need to go with this is The Clown's VHS Porn Add-On. Leave the rest up to fan stuff as it has nothing to do with the actual game.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801731#Comment_1801731

    Since when? Ts, maybe, but bi erasure is still very much present.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801732#Comment_1801732

    I think they'll do it well, but bad-faith actors will try to make it seem like they didn't.

    Well I'll give them the benefit of the doubt then and have faith they can implement a good character.

  • This is a bit of a subject I'm sorta meh about, i get representation is important, which I can agree with. However, there are moments in times when its not as important, honestly if someone said they are gay, Lesbian, or trans I couldn't give 0 to no ######### at all. I don't judge people for statements of who they are or what they say they are, I judge them by their actions and deeds. I will say however adding anything LGBTQ is for me deadly waters, it can get out of hand at times, so Bhvr, tread lightly for the direction your going.

  • I do agree that BTs are probably the ones most overlooked representation wise however I would personally just be happy with any LGBT representation at first, I'd prefer them not to just tag something on after creating the character.

  • @Sif said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801732#Comment_1801732

    So it being fine isnt even an option? You sure are open minded.

    You sure took the defensive. Due to the devs track record it's always a possibility for failure. Also I never said it couldnt be fine. That being said I will give the benefit of the doubt.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    I do agree that BTs are probably the ones most overlooked representation wise however I would personally just be happy with any LGBT representation at first, I'd prefer them not to just tag something on after creating the character.

    That's how good characters are created, though. Not by focusing on irrelevant traits (sex, skin tone, orientation, height, etc.), but by focusing on what actually matters - the character. That's how we got one of the biggest badasses ever, Ripley.

  • People call me homophobic when I say I don't care about the characters sexual orientation.

    This is a game about running about a pallet and being chased by a killer. I think the last thing I think about is *man, is this character gay?*

    Me being LGBT, it just doesn't matter to me. I don't care who Felix or David had sex with in the past.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    I do agree that BTs are probably the ones most overlooked representation wise however I would personally just be happy with any LGBT representation at first, I'd prefer them not to just tag something on after creating the character.

    I agree the character shouldn't just be made gay or whatever after they've been made. Its honestly pointless to do so, other then just say he/she LGBT, but somehow people like seeing that so what can I do?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801731#Comment_1801731

    Since when? Ts, maybe, but bi erasure is still very much present.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801732#Comment_1801732

    I think they'll do it well, but bad-faith actors will try to make it seem like they didn't.

    I've seen stuff about bis going both ways or something and it's supposed to be more about sexuality not just... Somehow erasing LG issues. I really didn't fully understand what they were saying.


    Edit: also unintended pun.

  • @Dabihwow said:

    This is a bit of a subject I'm sorta meh about, i get representation is important, which I can agree with. However, there are moments in times when its not as important, honestly if someone said they are gay, Lesbian, or trans I couldn't give 0 to no ######### at all. I don't judge people for statements of who they are or what they say they are, I judge them by their actions and deeds. I will say however adding anything LGBTQ is for me deadly waters, it can get out of hand at times, so Bhvr, tread lightly for the direction your going.

    ^ This right here. They mess up and now the devs are "homophobic"

  • @Terro said:

    Isn't this the opposite of a lot of complaints that are happening recently? LGs are feeling that the BTs are dominating every issue.

    Lesbians(CIS females who like other CIS females) have been refered to as transphobic because they won't date mtf trans.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801746#Comment_1801746

    ^ This right here. They mess up and now the devs are "homophobic"

    Bad faith actors will claim that regardless, they always do. And they do so because they know BHVR is not homophobic.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801746#Comment_1801746

    ^ This right here. They mess up and now the devs are "homophobic"

    Exactly my point, when I was writing Pinebrook I will say I'm subjective about adding at least 1 LGBT character, because I know it can get out of hand pretty ######### fast, however its more than likely going to happen since, people love them.

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801731#Comment_1801731

    Lesbians(CIS females who like other CIS females) have been refered to as transphobic because they won't date mtf trans.

    By a tiny minority of people, though the exposure has certainly been amplified by the usual suspects.

    Now, can we get back on topic?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801767#Comment_1801767

    Bad faith actors will claim that regardless, they always do. And they do so because they know BHVR is not homophobic.

    The problem is the community is already angry over the lack of bug fixes. My guess is that if the devs mess up the back lash will be immense.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801774#Comment_1801774

    The problem is the community is already angry over the lack of bug fixes. My guess is that if the devs mess up the back lash will be immense.

    Whatever, that's not the purpose of this thread.

  • It sounds like the devs are trying to think it through instead of just slapping something together and calling it a day. Hopefully the way they do it makes everyone under lgbt feel represented...

  • Ok..? So so you want this to be a bunch of people agreeing with you? I'm just saying how I feel about the subject. So tell me what is the point.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Representation is important, and people (maybe not you) absolutely care about it.

    ...How exactly? I'm all for representation, but only if the situation/lore calls for it. If it's something like Overwatch where it takes characters from around the world, then fine, go ham. If it's something like TF2 where women aren't allowed in combat positions because that's what it was like during that time, then no, we don't need a trans character.

    The Last of Us 2 did this very poorly. Abby was modeled the way she was to be "trans friendly", and they have Ellie and Dina as lesbians, but a (massive air quotes here) "trans" person beating up on lesbians and killing people out of pure rage isn't the best representation, no?

    Furthermore, WHY is representation important? So you can feel "connected" to the character? There are a million ways to do that outside of them being the same skin color or having the same genitals.

    Food for thought.

  • @Dak said:

    people get more riled up over representation than a working, functional game it seems

    You know I never really realize that until now, honestly its pointless, like being gay isn't such a big deal anymore and yet its still treated as such, it's almost laughable for me.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801787#Comment_1801787

    Ok..? So so you want this to be a bunch of people agreeing with you? I'm just saying how I feel about the subject. So tell me what is the point.

    The starting point of this thread isn't "Should the devs add LGBT characters?", which is what you were responding to. The starting point is "Given that the devs are going to add LGBT characters, what should they be?".

    I don't expect everyone to agree with me that the first LGBT character should be B or T, or I wouldn't have opened the thread, but I do expect people to at least stay on topic. Again, the question is not whether or not the devs should add LGBT characters - that's a given. The question is which they should add first.

  • @Dak said:

    people get more riled up over representation than a working, functional game it seems

    We have enough threads about bugs. I think this is a nice change of pace.

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    It sounds like the devs are trying to think it through instead of just slapping something together and calling it a day. Hopefully the way they do it makes everyone under lgbt feel represented...

    That's not possible with one character. It's like making a generic (almost always white male) protagonist and expecting everyone to feel represented because the protagonist is a human.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801792#Comment_1801792

    The starting point of this thread isn't "Should the devs add LGBT characters?", which is what you were responding to. The starting point is "Given that the devs are going to add LGBT characters, what should they be?".

    I don't expect everyone to agree with me that the first LGBT character should be B or T, or I wouldn't have opened the thread, but I do expect people to at least stay on topic. Again, the question is not whether or not the devs should add LGBT characters - that's a given. The question is which they should add first.

    Ok I answered that. Also what I said is on topic because no matter what is added B or T. The devs have to do it right or there will.be outrage.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801801#Comment_1801801

    Ok I answered that. Also what I said is on topic because no matter what is added B or T. The devs have to do it right or there will.be outrage.

    Please explain how "The devs have to do it right or there will.be outrage", a statement that applies to literally everything they do, is either supposed to get me to change my view, or in support of my view, because I just don't see it.

  • Can we move this to Feedback and Suggestions please?

    It's cluttering actual in-game debates and conversations.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    Can we move this to Feedback and Suggestions please?

    It's cluttering actual in-game debates and conversations.

    This is neither feedback nor a suggestion, it's a discussion between myself and the community. Hence the "CMV" (Change My View) format. If it were a suggestion, I would've placed it in the proper section.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801825#Comment_1801825

    This is neither feedback nor a suggestion, it's a discussion between myself and the community. Hence the "CMV" (Change My View) format. If it were a suggestion, I would've placed it in the proper section.

    "THE FIRST CONFIRMED LGBT CHARACTER SHOULD BE EITHER BISEXUAL OR TRANS"

    Suuuuuure sounds like a Suggestion to me.

    It's clutter, and that's that.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801828#Comment_1801828

    "THE FIRST CONFIRMED LGBT CHARACTER SHOULD BE EITHER BISEXUAL OR TRANS"

    Suuuuuure sounds like a Suggestion to me.

    It's clutter, and that's that.

    Because you ignored the part where I'm asking the community to change my view. Quote mining does tend to shift the context of a statement.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801811#Comment_1801811

    Please explain how "The devs have to do it right or there will.be outrage", a statement that applies to literally everything they do, is either supposed to get me to change my view, or in support of my view, because I just don't see it.

    Usually people who say "change my view/mind" are set in their ways. Also why would I try to change your mind. Getting any sort of LGBT character is a want by many people. Which one it is doesnt really matter to me, I dont really care to be honest. All I said is that they have to do it right.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801822#Comment_1801822

    Usually people who say "change my view/mind" are set in there ways. Also why would I try to change your mind. Getting any sort of LGBT character is a want by many people. Which one it is doesnt really matter to me, I dont really care to be honest. I just said my peace.

    Usually people who say "change my view/mind" are set in there ways.

    Not me. I enjoy listening to different views and it's beneficial to me, personally.

    Also why would I try to change your mind. Getting any sort of LGBT character is a want by many people. Which one it is doesnt really matter to me, I dont really care to be honest. I just said my peace.

    That's not the view I'm asking you to challenge. Again, the view is "the new LGBT character should be B or T", not "the devs should add LGBT characters".

  • @chieften333 said:

    Personally I don't go into a game looking to be represented. In fact I do the opposite.

    I go into games looking to be someone other than myself. Because it takes the edge off of my current problems.

    Agreed

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    Can we move this to Feedback and Suggestions please?

    It's cluttering actual in-game debates and conversations.

    I double this

  • Why do you want this thread moved to the wrong section? I'm not asking the devs to change my view, am I?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801858#Comment_1801858

    Why do you want this thread moved to the wrong section? I'm not asking the devs to change my view, am I?

    As @BigBrainMegMain said it's more of a "Suggestion" than a actual discussion.

  • It's not, though. I'm asking to discuss this with the community (or rather, that you guys try to change my view). That's why I put this thread in this section instead of the feedback section and why I put "CMV" as a prefix to the title.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Representation is important, and people (maybe not you) absolutely care about it.

    I don't have a problem with representation. However I have a problem when it is forced because then it doesn't feel right. It feels like the only reason "this character" was added is because someone said "We don't have one of <insert name>". If a character was inserted into something and their race/ethnicity/sexual preference is literally the only thing about them. Then it feels like it was shoe horned in for the sake of saying "Were not racist. We have one of <insert name>"

    If you want to throw in a LGBTQ then please make it fit with the game. Put some effort into it. Make this character have some interesting back story. Don't just toss a random alphabet person in here and say "There, you got one". Also don't get upset when that character gets killed. If your going to put someone in a horror base game you have to accept the idea that some bad @!#$ might happen to them.

‹ 1 2 3 … 7