CMV: The first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans

I don't like these CMV threads, but I felt the format was appropriate since I am actually looking for an outside perspective.

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like the BTs get thrown to the wayside, as it were, when it comes to LGBT discussions. 95% of the time it's about LGs, if not just Gs. Among BTs, Bs in particular are ignored or portrayed as lunatics who want to have sex with everyone. Bi erasure is quite common, even among the LGBT community, and we all know what Ts go through.

For these reasons, IMO, the first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans.

EDIT: If you "don't care", then this thread is not for you.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801878#Comment_1801878

    It's not, though. I'm asking to discuss this with the community (or rather, that you guys try to change my view). That's why I put this thread in this section instead of the feedback section and why I put "CMV" as a prefix to the title.

    Sooo you want Subjective opinions....to change your mind on something that is subjective?

  • @MichaelAMyers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801889#Comment_1801889

    Sooo you want Subjective opinions....to change your mind on something that is subjective?

    I want different viewpoints on the subject at hand. It's healthy to challenge one's own views from time to time.

  • I think they should be asexual personally. Just jump right into the deep end and add one of the more controversial ones first that way it can only get better if it blows up in their face.

    Asexuals get very little representation and can be outright dismissed so having an asexual be first over the other big letters would show they really care and aren't just doing it to do it.

    A lot of people don't care about representation in a game like this anyway so choosing something a bit more out there could garner some attention. Adding a normal LGBQ character of any kind seems like a safe bet and I'd rather them go big.

  • Just to add something that I have read but don’t really know if it’s true:

    Lesbian representation is apparently the biggest in gaming, but it’s often portrayed in a way for the straight male eye so not really that positive..

    again just something I read, don’t really have much knowledge in the overall gaming scene.


    on topic. I don’t care which comes first or if they add from every letter one or something else. Just some kind of representation would be nice. And I hope they leave it at how they treated heterosexual relationships, mostly. So not outright saying they are x, but incorporate (direct) hints in their lore, such as girlfriend, during their coming out etc. so leave it open if they came out as bi or lesbian if it doesn’t matter.

  • @ohheyitsbobcat said:

    I think they should be asexual personally. Just jump right into the deep end and add one of the more controversial ones first that way it can only get better if it blows up in their face.

    Asexuals get very little representation and can be outright dismissed so having an asexual be first over the other big letters would show they really care and aren't just doing it to do it.

    A lot of people don't care about representation in a game like this anyway so choosing something a bit more out there could garner some attention. Adding a normal LGBQ character of any kind seems like a safe bet and I'd rather them go big.

    I considered that, but the problem is that asexual people are functionally indistinguishable from someone whose lore simply omits any attraction they felt before the Fog. It'd feel like a cop-out, at least to me.

    @Mooks said:

    Just to add something that I have read but don’t really know if it’s true:

    Lesbian representation is apparently the biggest in gaming, but it’s often portrayed in a way for the straight male eye so not really that positive..

    again just something I read, don’t really have much knowledge in the overall gaming scene.

    on topic. I don’t care which comes first or if they add from every letter one or something else. Just some kind of representation would be nice. And I hope they leave it at how they treated heterosexual relationships, mostly. So not outright saying they are x, but incorporate (direct) hints in their lore, such as girlfriend, during their coming out etc. so leave it open if they came out as bi or lesbian if it doesn’t matter.

    I'm confident they'll do it the same way they did with heterosexual relationships.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801791#Comment_1801791

    That's not possible with one character. It's like making a generic (almost always white male) protagonist and expecting everyone to feel represented because the protagonist is a human.

    That's why I'm hoping they do more than just one character.

    As for the first character, if we could vote on it, currently I would vote for trans.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801718#Comment_1801718

    Ahh yes "pretend the people are LGBT" instead of just assuming everyone is straight, like all the straight people do.

    this is exactly why representation is important, LGBT+ aren't "pretend" they're real.

    Sorry but none of the characters in the game are real, they are pretend, do pretend they are the sexuality you want if it makes ya feel better.. just a video game at the end of the day.

  • @Lazerboy88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801725#Comment_1801725

    Sorry but none of the characters in the game are real, they are pretend, do pretend they are the sexuality you want if it makes ya feel better.. just a video game at the end of the day.

    They still have characteristics. Harry Potter isn't gay, Doom Slayer isn't a woman, and Tyrion Lannister isn't a giant. We're not writing fan fiction here.

  • I agree with you, but what does CMV mean? I haven't heard of that before and the only thing that appears on google is a disease with the same name

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    It sounds like the devs are trying to think it through instead of just slapping something together and calling it a day. Hopefully the way they do it makes everyone under lgbt feel represented...

    If you remember Ribanne, she revealed on stream that they plan to show more representation through characters in future tomes.

  • @Exerlin said:

    I agree with you, but what does CMV mean? I haven't heard of that before and the only thing that appears on google is a disease with the same name

    Change My View. I'm asking for my viewpoint to be challenged (or, at the very least, for other people to present theirs).

    And today I learned about Cytomegalovirus.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801941#Comment_1801941

    They still have characteristics. Harry Potter isn't gay, Doom Slayer isn't a woman, and Tyrion Lannister isn't a giant. We're not writing fan fiction here.

    And at the ene of the day, none of them are real. I never heard of Tyrion. Honestly I just don’t care its true, I play video games for fun not to be represented, have others represented. I know some people are more sensitive to this subject, but really its up to them to deal with it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean, a sentence or two in the characters bio hinting at LGBT elements of their character is fine with me.

    But if being LGBT is the core part of the characters identity and design, that's a no-go for me.

    We're all hoping for the former, and I trust the devs know they literally just have to do the same thing they did with heterosexual characters, but swapping a pronoun or two.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801954#Comment_1801954

    We're all hoping for the former, and I trust the devs know they literally just have to do the same thing they did with heterosexual characters, but swapping a pronoun or two.

    Or simply a confirmation which already existing characters had what relationships etc.

    And I mean, even the second can work... look at Bat Woman, iirc. Her being lesbian was essential to what path her life took, but not the sole thing defining her.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801941#Comment_1801941

    They still have characteristics. Harry Potter isn't gay, Doom Slayer isn't a woman, and Tyrion Lannister isn't a giant. We're not writing fan fiction here.

    I mean fan fiction still makes them whatever they want which is why it should feel that way for a Horror Video Game.

  • @MichaelAMyers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801946#Comment_1801946

    I mean fan fiction still makes them whatever they want which is why it should feel that way for a Horror Video Game.

    That makes no sense. DbD has a well defined lore, nobody's going to add fan fiction to it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean, a sentence or two in the characters bio hinting at LGBT elements of their character is fine with me.

    But if being LGBT is the core part of the characters identity and design, that's a no-go for me.

    Agreed with this.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801976#Comment_1801976

    That makes no sense. DbD has a well defined lore, nobody's going to add fan fiction to it.

    Fans do it all the time and that fits better than just defined stuff.

    People ship Dwight and David, Nurse and Pig, and etc it should be more or less keeping it more about their "History" and not their "Sexual"/"Sexual Identity"

  • So, they create a character, slap something into their bio that indicates whatever color of the spectrum they're on, and that's representation? Fine, go for it, I'm still going to slap you on hook to shut your screams up.

  • @Healthore77992 said:

    No one cares about that.

    Get out then?

  • @MichaelAMyers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801985#Comment_1801985

    Fans do it all the time and that fits better than just defined stuff.

    People ship Dwight and David, Nurse and Pig, and etc it should be more or less keeping it more about their "History" and not their "Sexual"/"Sexual Identity"

    I'd say the game's actual lore fits better in the game than fan fiction.

  • @Rivyn said:

    So, they create a character, slap something into their bio that indicates whatever color of the spectrum they're on, and that's representation? Fine, go for it, I'm still going to slap you on hook to shut your screams up.

    Yes, it is, and so you should.

  • I don't understand why sexuality needs to be so far "represented" in DBD. This is a game about killing or surviving, It's perfectly okay to leave the characters up to interpretation to the one who's playing them instead of having something set in stone. Just my two cents.

  • @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    Wrong, I care, just like the person said above, representation is important

    That is a bad idea. If you identify as a letter then you should have the ability to imagine your character shares your values. It becomes politically motivated when you advertise it or spell it out.

  • @Zayn said:

    I don't understand why sexuality needs to be so far "represented" in DBD. This is a game about killing or surviving, It's perfectly okay to leave the characters up to interpretation to the one who's playing them instead of having something set in stone. Just my two cents.

    I'm going to assume you don't read the lore. If so, this won't affect you because you will literally never read it.

  • yes we need to care about the 0.7% population

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801709#Comment_1801709

    That is a bad idea. If you identify as a letter then you should have the ability to imagine your character shares your values. It becomes politically motivated when you advertise it or spell it out.

     If you identify as a letter-

    As a what?

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801709#Comment_1801709

    That is a bad idea. If you identify as a letter then you should have the ability to imagine your character shares your values. It becomes politically motivated when you advertise it or spell it out.

    So coming out is a political thing?

  • @Zayn said:

    I don't understand why sexuality needs to be so far "represented" in DBD. This is a game about killing or surviving, It's perfectly okay to leave the characters up to interpretation to the one who's playing them instead of having something set in stone. Just my two cents.

    Thank you

    @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802026#Comment_1802026

    I'm going to assume you don't read the lore. If so, this won't affect you because you will literally never read it.

    The lore shouldn't really matter since its like filler in anime.

  • The lore is where these things will be. If you don't care about it, then there's no reason to oppose this.

  • So we can check two boxes at once?

  • This is very unnecessary, only a minority of players is asking for this.

    Besides, this will never happen anyways. Unless BHVR seriously wants to lose players from Eastern Asia and the Middle East, that is.

  • Disregarding the insignificance of the matter itself, the point of representation is to actually, well, represent. The quantity of Ts is increadibly small even in comparison to LG (let alone bi's), so choosing a T character would be statistically unfair.


    B would be the safest choice from the point of view of public reaction in communities from different countries.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802026#Comment_1802026

    I'm going to assume you don't read the lore. If so, this won't affect you because you will literally never read it.

    I do on and off but not every single character has lore based on their preferences. It really doesn't matter in the way that this game is played. I don't mind that people want to be represented in the game but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter that much. If someone wants to roleplay DwightxDavid with their friend as I've seen many times, they are free to do so, doesn't matter what is stated in the lore or what is not stated. They can do it if they so please and that's available for everyone to do if they want to which is why generalizing a specific character just for the sake of adding more "representation" in the game is ridiculous to me. Heck, I wouldn't even care if every original character had nothing to do with their sexuality in the lore but that's a topic for a different discussion.

  • @MrLimonka said:

    This is very unnecessary, only a minority of players is asking for this.

    Besides, this will never happen anyways. Unless BHVR seriously wants to lose players from Eastern Asia and the Middle East, that is.

    Are those places really that homophobic then?

  • @savevatznick said:

    So we can check two boxes at once?

    If you boil people down to checkboxes, then yes, that's one way of looking at it.

    @MrLimonka said:

    This is very unnecessary, only a minority of players is asking for this.

    Besides, this will never happen anyways. Unless BHVR seriously wants to lose players from Eastern Asia and the Middle East, that is.

    The devs already said they'd do it, that's not the topic of conversation.

    @TripleSteal said:

    Disregarding the insignificance of the matter itself, the point of representation is to actually, well, represent. The quantity of Ts is increadibly small even in comparison to LG (let alone bi's), so choosing a T character would be statistically unfair.

    B would be the safest choice from the point of view of public reaction in communities from different countries.

    0% of people are kidnapped by an evil extradimensional entity to compete in trials until the end of time, so this is clearly not based in our world. If it were, though, then we'd conclude that white people are overrepresented and thus need to stop being added. So, let's not bring statistics into this.

    @Zayn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802029#Comment_1802029

    I do on and off but not every single character has lore based on their preferences. It really doesn't matter in the way that this game is played. I don't mind that people want to be represented in the game but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter that much. If someone wants to roleplay DwightxDavid with their friend as I've seen many times, they are free to do so, doesn't matter what is stated in the lore or what is not stated. They can do it if they so please and that's available for everyone to do if they want to which is why generalizing a specific character just for the sake of adding more "representation" in the game is ridiculous to me. Heck, I wouldn't even care if every original character had nothing to do with their sexuality in the lore but that's a topic for a different discussion.

    Have you noticed that nobody makes the same arguments regarding heterosexual characters? How come it's only the non-heterosexuals who have to pretend to be represented?

  • Yes, they are.

    Not to mention some countries there put lgbt people to prisons, so there is also a big chance the game would be banned completely in these countries if this happened.

  • Some countries have laws against depictions of non-heterosexuals, but it's nowhere near as extreme as that person made it look.

  • You can't go anywhere without this agenda slapping you in the face.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    You can't go anywhere without this agenda slapping you in the face.

    It is quite unfortunate that you can't have a good faith discussion without people coming here to shove their agenda down our throats.

  • @Healthore77992 said:

    No one cares about that.

    This ! Don’t force gay stuff in a gay if you do that atleast add donkey Kong as a killer

  • Yeah, bi and trans people are unfairly targeted. But gay people are too. Everyone in the lgbt community is hated by bigots, so it doesn't matter which part they add first.

    This isn't the oppression Olympics.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1801699#Comment_1801699

    This ! Don’t force gay stuff in a gay if you do that atleast add donkey Kong as a killer

    Don’t force to exclude ‚gay stuff‘.

    what do you even gain from that? It shouldn’t affect you at all if it’s added or not. There is no graphical sexuality in this game either way and it will only be mentioned in the lore. No harm there. It would feel really forced to not include anything LGBT+ but having several heterosexual relationships featured.

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    Yeah, bi and trans people are unfairly targeted. But gay people are too. Everyone in the lgbt community is hated by bigots, so it doesn't matter which part they add first.

    This isn't the oppression Olympics.

    BTs are targeted even within the LGBT community. I'd wager that bi erasure, for example, is actually more prevalent in the LGBT community than outside of it.

  • If the character is LGBT because they just are that is good,

    having a character be LGBT and just label them as the "gay" one and that is their own trait is insulting.

    being gay isn't a choice and its not a label, its just something you are.


    to summarize they have to make a narrative where the character is interesting without the need to shoehorn in a sexuality

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802224#Comment_1802224

    Don’t force to exclude ‚gay stuff‘.

    what do you even gain from that? It shouldn’t affect you at all if it’s added or not. There is no graphical sexuality in this game either way and it will only be mentioned in the lore. No harm there. It would feel really forced to not include anything LGBT+ but having several heterosexual relationships featured.

    Then why not make a character a nazi just because of the lore ? I don’t see that as a good argument

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802233#Comment_1802233

    BTs are targeted even within the LGBT community. I'd wager that bi erasure, for example, is actually more prevalent in the LGBT community than outside of it.

    Like I said, it's not a competition to see whose more oppressed. It doesn't matter which letter of the lgbt community they add first.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802239#Comment_1802239

    Then why not make a character a nazi just because of the lore ? I don’t see that as a good argument

    Nazi depictions are banned in Germany, which has a significant number of players. Besides, we don't want DbD getting political.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802257#Comment_1802257

    Nazi depictions are banned in Germany, which has a significant number of players. Besides, we don't want DbD getting political.

    No lol. There are laws when it’s okay and not okay

  • Whatever, we still don't want DbD getting political.

1 2 3 4 … 7